How to clear up useless content within worksheet?

When I copy and paste the whole worksheet for editing, and delete some
useless content, but I find out the file size of worksheet is almost the
same, I am delete half of useless content already, so the file size should be
reduced, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear up hidden useless
content to reduce the file size?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

One better? way is NOT to copy/paste the entire sheet but only the target
areas.
To clean-up, think you'd need to select all cols to the right of your target
area*, then DELETE these. Then do similar action for all rows below your
target area. Then save the file to complete the clean-up.

*select the entire col (the 1st "empty" col), then press CTRL+SHIFT+Right
arrow, right-click > Delete
For rows, do similar action:
select the entire row (the 1st "empty" row), then press CTRL+SHIFT+Down
arrow, right-click > Delete
--
Max
Singapore
"Eric" wrote:
> When I copy and paste the whole worksheet for editing, and delete some
> useless content, but I find out the file size of worksheet is almost the
> same, I am delete half of useless content already, so the file size should be
> reduced, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear up hidden useless
> content to reduce the file size?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

Numeric content in one cell ( implicit formula ) and the result in another one
Hi, I made some search before, but too much information at the same time. So I post this question: In cell D2 , I have the following content : 10002/(14971213 - 37375) /1000000) In cell E2, I would like to have the result value of data in cell D2 : 669,754 I would not work with "left...len... search... right.." as the format ( then formula ) in cell D2 may change. Is there a function giving the computed result of a cell and put the result in another one? Best regards Pierre In cell E2, will the formula "=D2" do it for you? Or is that too simplistic and I don'...

How to Clear or Reconcile without right-click
How does one Clear or Reconcile the currently selected transactcion without going through the tedium of right- clicking and selecting Mark As -> Cleared (or Reconciled)? Thanks CTRL-SHIFT-M "MoneyUser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1a72401c41db7$b7003000$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How does one Clear or Reconcile the currently selected > transactcion without going through the tedium of right- > clicking and selecting Mark As -> Cleared (or Reconciled)? > > Thanks In microsoft.public.money, MoneyUser wrote: >How does one Cl...

Rename the worksheet
Is there a possibility to rename the worksheet without using the mouse-rename procedure? I mean using the keyboard only??? Thanks. -- praveen_khm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ praveen_khm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30364 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502191 Dear Praveen, Use Alt+O+H+R to rename the worksheet. Regards, Selvarathinam. praveen_khm wrote: > Is there a possibility to rename the worksheet without using the > mouse-rename procedure? I me...

Change background / color of chart worksheet?
Need steps to change the color or backgound of the worksheet that is a chart. Have multiple tabs in workbook that are just the charts. Only option for background is to use Format-Sheet-Background. That changes background of chart, but not the grey areas around the chart on the chart tab. You need to select the Chart Area (what you call the, "grey areas around the chart") and format that. There are 2 separate, "parts" to a chart:- 1. The Plot Area (which you seem to have formatted OK) and the 2. Chart Area. You need to select each of them to format th...

Clear Formatting Icon
I have a client who has a template with Arial 20 pt regular as the default font, with all the master text in Arial. When she clicks the clear formatting icon, the text changes to Helvetica, Grey, 36pt, bold. She checked the master slides to see if it was picking up Helvetica from any of the place holders there, but that's not the casse. Does anyone know where the Helvetica might be coming from? She's using PowerPoint 2007. Thanks! Might be coming from the default shape or textbox. If you create a new manual textbox, what font is used? -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http:...

Start a file at a defaulted worksheet/cell?
Howdy, Having a few users to a file, can I have the file open to a default worksheet/cell as I have directions I want them to read before playing... Regards, Kevin Kevin, use something like this, put in thisworkbook code Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets("Sheet2").Select Range("C3").Select End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "...

Home Page Content Item: Important Dates (repost)
I asked this question 3 days ago and have received no replies so I'm repeating it. Perhaps the subject name I used: "Important Dates" was too short or sounded like spam. In any case my experience on this board is that even if no one has a solution, someone usually responds saying that he can't reproduce the problem, or that it doesn't work for him either, or that the poster misunderstands what this function is supposed to do. Not having received any response at all, I beg your indulgence with this repost: ***** Money 2006. No Passport. XP Home SP2. P4 3.0 GHz. 1G...

copy data from one worksheet to identical sheet in different workbook
I want to essentially sync the data between 2 identical worksheets in different workbooks. Essentially, I want to import and replace data in the second sheet with data from the first, is there a simple way to do this without deleting the worksheet and then copying the new sheet into the workbook? Thanks You can right-click on your source-sheetname tab, the shortmenu will reflect Copy/MoveSheet.... Select it and make 2 other choices: 1) Check to Create Copy box at bottom 2) From dropdown box at top of screen select an existing open workbook or select new-workbook. OK HTH "a...

formatting selected characters or numbers in each cell within a range of cells
I am sending this to several Excel newsgroups, because I am not sure which one if the most appropriate. I apologize in advance for the multiple postings. I have MS Excel 2000 (version 9.0.3821 SR-1). How can I format only a selected character or number within each cell in a specific range of cells? For instance if I have a cell containing �1234234�, how can I format it so that only the 2�s are bold or are colored? Obviously, I have a range of cells, and I want to format all the 2�s occurring in any of the cells as either bold or colored. Conditional formatting does not seem to all...

Help...Need to modify data within a column in a .csv file
I have been given a .csv file of several thousand rows, and I need to change column A of each. The brief cutout below shows column A of the first two rows. (I need to skip the first row, which is the headers.) Kinda clumsy to have such a wide column, but the application this file is to be fed after I change the contents requires all the data separated by double-quotes to be in the one column. Cell A2: 09/12/0509/25/05"1417385"121"307"111-11-1111"09/30/05"LASTNAME1 Cell A3: 09/12/0509/25/05"1417386"101"900000005"222-22-2222"09/30/05"...

can send but can receive- event log shows loop within Exchange
Hi all, When I try to send email to my exchange 2003 server from an external email account I never get the email. I get the following error message in my event log. ------------------------ A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.3.5 was generated for recipient rfc822;adrown@[192.168.2.249] (Message-ID <200411090532.iA95WemV015823@gatekeeper.com>). Causes: A looping condition was detected. (The server is configured to route mail back to itself). If you have multiple SMTP Virtual Servers configured on your Exchange server, make sure they are defined by a unique incoming port and t...

Excel macro for copying range to another worksheet
On a monthly basis, I would like to copy the completed range (varies from month to month) of a database (Sheet1) to a master list (Sheet3). Once the data has been copied I intend to manually delete the entries of Sheet1 and start anew for the new month =96 for eventual transfer to Sheet3. The idea is to copy each month=92s data at the bottom of the previous months=92 (Sheet3). I followed Excel=92s record macro command but the macro I ended up with is not capable of placing the new data at the bottom of the existing one; it simply keeps overwriting the previous entry. Unfortunately, I don=92t...

worksheet appearance
Hey, I create worksheets in VBA, then delete them again and create them again. One worksheet always stays in my workbook, but when I create such a new worksheet with add it appears the first in line. I want it to appear it after the worksheet stat is always visible. How can I solve this? From XL/VBA Help: > Add Method (Worksheets Collection) > > Creates a new worksheet. The new worksheet becomes the active sheet. Returns > a Worksheet object. > Syntax > expression.Add(Before, After, Count, Type) > expression Required. An expression that returns a Worksheets object....

value from field not accepted within onlineform (3.0 -> 4.0)
Hy, We just tried to update our running CRM 3.0 to 4.0 there where nearly no problems! (1 report was not upgradeable) We where very happy. but right now a real problem was discovered: the fields: longitude and latidude from the contact form are no more accepted. Enter a value beetween .... But the values do perfectly match within the range When I delete the values I can save the form. When there is any value in the fields it causes the error: Enter a value ... Best regards for any help ...

Menu in Word behaving oddly; items (like the entire contents of the Tools menu) disappearing...
Hey, I'd be oh-so-grateful if anyone has any idea how I could address this problem. I'm quite mystified. I'm running MS Word for X on my Mac (OS 10.4.3), and lately some odd things have begun happening. At first I was just working around them, but I've decided live my computer life too much that way (ignoring problems and hoping they go away), so thought I should look into this before it gets out of control. Items have been disappearing from the Word menu bar. That is, for instance, after I had used the "Symbols" option under the "Insert" menu one day, it di...

SQL statement to find a particular column within all tables
I am looking for a query that will allow me to find all instances of a particular column within all tables so I know where they are all located. Does anyone have such a query they would be willing to share? Thank you. Pam, I posted this query a few months aback on my blog (http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/03/in-past-days-i-have-found-lot-of-people.html), but here is the excerpt: select distinct rtrim(objs.name) from syscolumns cols inner join sysobjects objs on (cols.id = objs.id) inner join sysindexes indx on (cols.id = indx.id) where (cols.name = 'ACTINDX') and (ob...

Searching a Differnt worksheet in the same workbook.
So what I need to do is have a colum D that searches Sheet1, column E for a certain text string entered in a different sheet (either 2 or 3) column D. If they match I want the cell in column E, sheet 2 or 3 to return a text of "Found" and if there is no match I want the cell to be blank. I've been looking in these forums and have a feeling it can be done, I just can't figure out how. Thanks. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Dear Cre...

vlookup help linking data between worksheet
hi, I have a master list of students (about 200+ )in one worksheet. On the succeeding worksheets are the attendance for seminars. We have more than 20 seminars in a year. Because of the large no of attendees per seminar, I usually type out a list of the students who came for each seminar, so there will be 20 +attendance worksheets. Not all students will come every time and there are new ones for each session. To update on master list, I will sort each sheet by surname, print it out and type in separate column (date) for each session and typed "P" for present and &quo...

Excel VBA
Hi, Is there any way to freeze (prevent) a number of worksheets from recalculating when a VBA macro is running? I have a spreadsheet with about 10 worksheets, most of which are linked to each other in some way. One of my macros only needs to use the formulas (and related results) from about 7 of these, so the other 3 are updating all the time but since the results from these are not needed then they are slowing down my code. Is there some VBA function for temporarily disabling a worksheets calculation function? I would need my code to look something like this: Code: -------------------- ...

Linking items GREATER THAN O on another worksheet in the same Work
I have a workbook that has about four worksheets … I want to create a list of items that will automatically be included on worksheet tab 4 from Worksheet tab 1 if the quantity for the item listed on the first worksheet has been changed from 0 to any other number (i.e. 1 or 10 etc). I have a list of equipment with pricing on worksheet tab 1 and the list is long. Many of the items will have quantities of zero and will not increase as they will not be selected for the project being created. We have additional columns for cost, extended cost, labor hours etc. If the quantity changes for a...

Hidden hyperlink within excel
Using VB6, I have created an excel spreadsheet. Some cells contain a hyperlink to TIF image files on a specific server within the LAN. When the user clicks on any one of these cells, it launches a copy of Imaging software and displays the image the hyperlink is pointing to. Is it possible to let the users view the images, like they are currently doing, without giving them direct read access to the specific location where the image files are located? I need to do this to ensure that the users do not view/access the images by any means other than clicking on the hyperlink. Also, the location of...

Start-up worksheet!?
Hello basically I would, each time i open my spreadsheet model for the worksheet i wont to pop up, and from there i can navigate easily to the other worksheets by buttons, how can i make a worksheet to pop up like this everytime i open the file....? Thanks From John -- Neo1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30329 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=515098 Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate End Sub ...

Retrieve Exchange 2007 public folder content
I have Exchange 2007 and a public folder containing mainly Tasks. i need to obtain a collection of this tasks from c# to send an alert by email on the ending of the task schedule (i cannot use the integrated task ending in the public folder). My problem is, how can i query the exchange store to obtain this informations? Do i have to use the OUTLOOK MAPI CLIENT library or the web service of exchange 2007? Can you give me an example? Thank you. Hello Cato, > I have Exchange 2007 and a public folder containing mainly Tasks. i > need to obtain a collection of this tasks f...

Excel 2k opens 2 sheets within same window
We have excel2k with sp3 on win2k pro with sp4. my problem is when i open 2 excel sheet both appear within the same window. if i have to switch between the 2 sheets i have to minimise 1 n maximise the next. what i need is to open both the excel sheets in 2 separate excel windows. how do i do this? please advice Hi, Tools>Options>View Under the "show" section, make sure that the "Windows in Taskbar" option is checked. This should solve your problem. It might be slightly different in Excel 2000, but the same options. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "sp...

copy an intial cells contents into the next series of blank cells in a column
When doing a pivot table, the data in a column might have the initial cell inditifer, such as a date and the remaining cells if they have the same date will be blank. I know there is a process that you can highlight the cells in a range and have copied the initial cell into the next suceeding blank cells, I just don't remember the sequence of steps to get there. can anybod help? Select the column with data. F5>Special>Blanks>OK Type an = sign in active blank cell. Arrow or point to cell above. CTRL + Enter to fill all blanks with value from above. Gord Dibben MS Excel MV...