How To Access Thru News Server

"The messages are visible if you access the group directly using the news
server, rather than via the unreliable web interface.
--
David Biddulph"

David made above comment earlier.

How do you do that please?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Saved from a previous post:

If you're able (not behind a firewall at work???), you may want to connect
directly to the MS newsservers.

If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and
paste into MSIE).

(and a few more for MSWord)

(You can always connect to more later)

Here are some links that explain it better:

Chip Pearson has some notes written by Leonard Meads at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DirectConnect.htm

David McRitchie's notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/oe6nws01.htm

Tushar Mehta's notes at:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/misc_tutorials/oe_ng/index.htm

And if you're looking for old posts:

Or you can use google (maybe a few hours behind) to search for stuff you've
posted (and find the replies, too)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100

Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

trip_to_tokyo wrote:

> "The messages are visible if you access the group directly using the news
> server, rather than via the unreliable web interface.
> --
> David Biddulph"
>
> David made above comment earlier.
>
> How do you do that please?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies.

--

Dave Peterson
0

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.aspx
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"trip_to_tokyo" wrote:

> "The messages are visible if you access the group directly using the news
> server, rather than via the unreliable web interface.
> --
> David Biddulph"
>
> David made above comment earlier.
>
> How do you do that please?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies.
Thanks Dave & Jim.

I don't fully understand what's happening here.

Have been playing around with it for the last hour or so and notice that
what I access through:-

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&lang=en&cr=US

 - is shadowed in Google Groups (can't see the point of that; however . . .).

What I do know is that over last week or so the link mentioned above does
not refresh in real time.

It's a real nuisance and I can't, at the moment, see an easy and quick away
round it.

I need to go away and read!

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> Read Connecting to News Groups
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.aspx
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "trip_to_tokyo" wrote:
>
> > "The messages are visible if you access the group directly using the news
> > server, rather than via the unreliable web interface.
> > --
> > David Biddulph"
> >
> > David made above comment earlier.
> >
> > How do you do that please?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any replies.

CRM repair problem: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOp
Hi, got the following problem when trying to repair Mircrosoft CRM: 11:17:10| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.TurnOnSetupModeAction 11:17:10| Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOperationProcessAction 11:17:10|Verbose| Retrieving CUserAuth data ... 11:17:10| Info| CUserAuth.UserId: {2315eb52-9a9e-da11-ad6d-00123fc10a29} 11:17:10| Info| CUserAuth.MerchantId: {b036f143-9a9e-da11-ad6d-00123fc10a29} 11:17:21| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RepairBulkOperationProcessAction failed....

problem with multiple SMTP domains in Exchange Server 2003
Hi there I have added a second SMTP domain to the Email Addresses (Policy) as follows: Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email Addresses (Policy) > New ... > SMTP Address > @xyz.com > (checked) This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery > to this address > Apply. When I do so, I no longer receive external emails on the first SMTP domain (@abc.com). Is this related to relay settings, or perhaps something else? Best regards Loane ...

SQL Server
I'm currently using MS-Access to write reports using a SQL Server db as the data source in a client/server arrangement. The database is sufficiently large (2gb) that data retrieval speed is an issue. The current setup is linked tables to the SQL Server db via ODBC, and then the usual queries. 1. Can views and/or stored procedures on the SQL Server side along with paramaterized queries provide a significant performance boost? 2. I've read that views and stored procedures can be created w/i Access. Is this the same as creating them in SQL Server? 3. Are there other things I sho...

User can not acces from home the EXchange server
Currently we allow our users to access there email VIA the web using http:yayaya.com/exchange. however one of my user's is unable to log in this way. On-site using outlook he has no problem but when he try's entering his login name and password via the web he gets a message saying username and password are incorrect. For some reason it will not validate his information. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks ...

Access Code Pushing Values
I have a customer database with [BillAddress] and [ShipAddress]. I am using a "yes/no" box titled[SameShipAddress?]. To automatically fill [ShipAddress] after checking the "yes/no" box I used this code in the after update event for the check box. If Me![SameShipAddress?] Then If IsNull(Me![BillAddress]) Then Else [ShipAddress] = [BillAddress] End If End If This works for the selected customer, but then pushes the entry [BillAddress] of the previous customer to [ShipAddress] of all of the following customers. Any thoughts? Sounds as...

Data source for PivotTable-Form in ACCESS 2000
Hi, this drives me crazy, 4 years ago I defined in an ACCESS 2000 application a "PivotTable-Form". The resulting EXCEL table inclusive the "Data refresh" works perfect. I now want to update/change the query for the "Data Source" but cannot find which query is behind the "PivotTable-Form" or behind the resulting EXCEL spreadsheet. When editing the properties for the "PivotTable-Form" or the EXCEL spreadsheet the "Data Source" is always blank. Question: Where does Access 2000 or EXCEL 2000 hide the respective data source (Query)...

access 2007 and custom toolbars in earlier version
Is there a way in Access 2007 (Enterprise) to modify a custom toolbar created in say Access 2002? In the help there are only topics about the quick access toolbar. I want to modify the action of a button, but right clicking and choosing customize, like used to be so easy (once you get used to it), is no longer possible. Does that mean no more custom toolbars and no backward compatibilty here? Help would be very welcome as the user friendliness of my user's experience is at stake here. ...

Removing an exchange server member
I have a 2000 exch backend and a 2003 exch frontend setup. The front end hard disk just recently died. And so was not correctly un installed from AD. There are still elements of exchange hanging around. For instance, in the system manager. But the system manager wont let me delete the front end server under the first administrative group. Do i have to use adsiedit to remove this or is there a much simplier way. Cheers Paul To my best knowledge, it adsiedit. "Yakeni" <Yakeni@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B352B981-F5B7-4527-8A48-04E3976C99D9@microsoft.c...

Help: message "Requesting data from Exchange Server"
Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange 2000. Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? "Kenny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Has anyone figure out why we receive the pop-up >message "Requesting data from Exchange Server" when we >try to open an email in outlook? We are using Exchange >2000. > >Is there a parameter we can change to fix this issue? Depends to a greater or lesser extent ...

access 2003
I have 8 pages i need to link together to save data what is the best way to link them? tlenney, We can't see your *pages* or your tables so asking what is the best way to link will not yield you answers without a wee bit more information. By *pages* do you mean tabs or forms? What are your tables and how are they related to each other? Why would you need to link the data in order to save it? Or are you linking to an outside data source and you are trying to save that data within the database? -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been ...

Denied file access
When I attempt to open my money program, I get a message that says, There is a problem with your Windows security settings. I use Windows 98 and Money 2000. ...

Auditing Mailbox item access
Don't ask me why I am asking, you don't want to know....but Is it possible to monitor and log access not only to a mailbox, but actually to individual items within the mailbox and be able to trace it back to the specific item and user who accessed it? I am aware of the ability to log when a non-primary account logs into a mailbox, but that is not granular enough for the scenario I need to look into. The powers that be want to be able to see not only who accessed a particular mailbox, but actually who accessed a particular message within that mailbox. Just wanted to know if...

Setup Outlook Express as a news reader
I run Outlook 2007 and have Outlook Express as a news reader. To launch OE from Outlook I tried to follow the help instructions, except that News is not on the Go list. Any ideas? Sorry for the cross posting. -- Cheers Stephen I have never used MS Outlook, but it can be your news reader, (although it is actually using Outlook Express). This may be the answer for you. Microsoft Office Outlook. Newsgroups and starting the newsgroup reader: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102166861033.aspx? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP Outlook Express Imperial...

Access 97 conversion to 2000 and OpenRecordSet
We have a simple application developed in Acees 95 / upgraded to 97 and now we wish to move to 2000. the application 'almost' upgrades itself apart from a problem we are havinng with OpenRecordSet . The code is simple and I know (with hindsight) it can be much neater but when you do not spend a great deal of time and it works then leave alone. Code throws up Run Time eror 13 at the OpenRecordset command when run. Have read lots of docs but confused as to change this seems a major problem. Have checked DAO 3.6 to get round other problems and they seem to work. Help appreciated Pub...

Program trying to access Contacts
I did a clean install of WinXP and OfficeXP. I use Incredimail for Outlook and Spam Daemon for Outlook and have never had a problem with them. I also did an Office Update this morning. Now whenever I click "new" message, I got a window that says "a program is trying to access the contacts folder" and suggests it may be a virus and gives me an option to permit access but only for 1 to 5 minutes, as a select. What is causing this problem and how do I get rid of it? [I have Norton AV and Zonealarm installed, and they have never caused this problem.] Arthur Broadh...

ACCESS 2000 is deleting records
Just yesterday I converted an Access 97 database to Access 2000. Have a large problem I need help with. After converting the DB I "split it" in order to use it as a backend, same way it was in Access97. After converting the database to Access2k we began to have a problem with Access2k deleting records. it deleted a total of 4 out of 62 records. the records are not together ( record #289365 then 289048 then 289128 then 289178 then this morning 289405) these record are auto-numbered incerement of one. They were entered by different people so I know its not just an operator probl...

OE removed access to unsafe attachments #2
How do I tell Outlook Express to consider some attachments safe and let me open them? Anyone know? Tools-> Options-> tab Security-> uncheck Do not allow... Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Create your o...

HQ Client
We are trying to process 501 worksheet from different stores. But these worksheets are getting timed out. There are about 40K items on each store. We tried communicating one store at a time, but with no results. Can someone help? Thanks in advance ...

CRM 3.0 SDK Web Services
Hi I am writing a small data migration tool to migrate account and contact data. I have approximate 1500 accounts and 6000 contacts to import to CRM 3.0. I finished the application and ran the data migration, I will able to migrate all of the account records without any problem at all. when I run the contact migration, it can migrate 2800 contact records when it get over 2800, my application throw me the following error message: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. I am running CRM 3.0, SQL server and my data migration on the same server. I am wonder w...

Outlook Web Access #34
I have a problem reading mails from Russia usig OWA ? (it is all a lot of ?????? and maybe numbers). If I use a normal Outlook client there are no problems ? I have triet different regional settings but no luck ? Try posting this in an Exchange news group as OWA is a function of Exchange, not Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Lost asked: | I h...

web server does not open
I published a website http://a542104.uscgaux.info using FP several months ago. Accessing this site for installing/maintenance requires a user ID and password. Recently when I tried to update (the website uses FP Extensions, which I had used before with no problem) the site I get an error message with several options, none of which apply. The ID and password are correct, since I can access the cpanel by using them. But now, when I try to upload new pages from my computer, the website doesn't recognize me at all and does not even ask for the ID and password. Any suggestions...

Rich Text formatting in Access 2007
In Access 2007, is it possible to add rich text formatting to text in a memo field (or mixed formatting within any text field). I have just upgraded to the new version of Access, and it appears that this feature still has not been added. Is this correct? (If so, why?) If it is not possible to format individual words within a field in Access, , is there a simple, free add-in that will enable Access to do this kind of basic formatting, such as adding italic, bold, and underlining? Thanks very much for any information you may have. Bob Rich Text format for Memos in: Tables - Look in t...

SMTP-Virtual Server -Emails Stuck
Dear All, I have something happen here, which is UPNORMAL. We were having workgroup with 25 users, and one WinProxy Box with 2 Nic cards on it, and one connected to the LAN, and one connect to the ISP through VSAT with Real IP. No DNS internal at all, all of my users configured with Default gateway of the internal IP of WinProxy , and also able to browse internet with WebProxy client of WinProxy. Also, the mail server which is hosted in USA, we were using POP3 on MS-outlook behind the WinProxy- i mean in the configuration of outlook, we used to put the IP-Address of WinProxy i...

BACKING UP ACCESS DATABASE 10-31-07
I'd like to backup my Access database automatically (no user intervention needed) to an external drive. Does Access allow such a backup while the database is "open" ? If I have to log out of Access, it defeats my purpose of wanting to do the backup without user intervention. There appear to be a number of drives and SW available to do the backup, but the question is whether Access will allow it. Basically I'd like to backup to the external drive every time a record is changed. I'm worried about losing my database if the PC crashes. If your database is that mission...

Server install not taking my disk 2
I'm installing from Microsoft volume licensing disks. After the installation is mostly done, while installing SQL Server Reporting Services, I get prompted to insert the next disk. I pop in disk #2 (or #3 for that matter), and it doesn't proceed - it simply continues to ask for the next disk. I'm installing to a virtual server using VMware. Also, I thought it odd that the disks are from different months, but apparently that's how it's supposed to be. Disk 1 is dated Feb 2006, Disk 2 is Dec 2005, and Disk 3 is May 2006. Any ideas of what could be wrong?? Might try...