How hard is it to crack a password that's been set for a Word or .

We're considering using the password protection built in the Office when
emailing Word and Excel, but I'm wondering how secure this method really is.
I see alot of companies on the internet who offer to crack a password code
for a fee.

0
Jennifer1 (141)

With regard to Excel, your information is never completely safe. As you've
seen, there's plenty of free and commercial password crackers out there that
can bypass worksheet protection, workbook protection, file protection, and
VBA project protection. Bottom line: remove confidential data from workbooks
before sharing them.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

"Jennifer" wrote:

> We're considering using the password protection built in the Office when
> emailing Word and Excel, but I'm wondering how secure this method really is.
> I see alot of companies on the internet who offer to crack a password code
> for a fee.

0
jasonjmorin (551)
4/20/2005 8:15:01 PM
Jennifer wrote:
> We're considering using the password protection built in the Office when
> emailing Word and Excel, but I'm wondering how secure this method really is.
> I see alot of companies on the internet who offer to crack a password code
> for a fee.

It will be secure from someone casually snooping through it.  Anyone
seriously interested in the file will probably be able to get into it
though.

If you need it to actually be secure, then you need to get a real
encryption program -- PGP for example with public key encryption.  The
NSC could probably still crack the file with enough effort, but I doubt
any local hacker could.

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)

Change password
I have a work book that basically holds appointments. When all the appointment slots are full I lock the sheet so changes can't be made without approval first. How can I change the password? Nevermind I figured it out. Thanks. "Anthony G of La Quinta" wrote: > I have a work book that basically holds appointments. When all the > appointment slots are full I lock the sheet so changes can't be made without > approval first. How can I change the password? ...

Word 97 with Outlook 2002
I have Office 97 installed and recently upgraded Outlook to 2002. The option 'use microsoft word to edit email messages' is greyed out. Is it poosible to use Word 97 with Outlook 2002, and if so how? Thanks in advance. No. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Jeff" <jeff@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:r1ldlfwm747t.11jqn8ele7z0a.dlg@40tude.net... >I have Office 97 installed and recently upgraded Outlook to 2002...

Constant hard disk ID
Hello fellow newsgroupies! Is it possible to get the serial number or some other constant / fixed identifying information from a hard disk drive? Volume names can of course be changed and so are not too good for this purpose. Many thanks in advance, 'Newsgroupie' England If you are thinking of doing your own software protection with this then the usual advice on this ng is "don't bother, it is too easy to hack". Get a proper solution instead. Les "Newsgroupie" <buzbymb@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:5bdb35c9-f427-4971-ae57-8cc1e699760b@56g2000...

none of my msgs get sent? how do I set it up so they do?
I made outlook by default email client. I click on New msg I type the messg I hit send I always get an error msg that 0 msg sent What did I not do? Help me configure Outlook so my msgs get sent What version of Outlook are you using? Have you used the Test Account Settings button? If yes, what error messages are reported? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, majorhist asked: | I made outlook by default email client. |...

Nautica Men's Box Set Watch #N14524G
Price:$145.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000PSN090 Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000PSN090 very pleased with purchase, watch offers multiple bands allowing combination options. Rugged watch with excellent weight and feel. With this ingenious box set from Nautica, your watch can now keep up with your changing wardrobe and mood. Arty and modern, this gorgeous watch boasts a choice of three wristbands in varying colors and textures, easily switched with the help of the included tool. A moveable chronograph is etched into the bezel of this casua...

Word/Excel/PowerPoint 2007 all crashing on startup under Windows 7 HP
These apps will start only in Safe Mode, when they can see the default printer. Word reports a problem with Normal.dotm. Access 2007 is OK. Just selecting C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates crashes Explorer, so looks like it is corrupted. How can I restore it, if I cannot even select it? Should I reinstall MS Office? you can try holding down the ctrl key as you click the executable shortcut and see if this helps. -- db���`�...�><)))�> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional - Systems Analyst - Database Developer - Accountancy - Veteran of t...

Changing file permissions when saving Word or Excel documents
Hi, I work in an office environment which consists primarily of PCs using Office (Word, Excel, etc.). I have found that when I save an existing Word or Excel file (Office 2004 with all the updates) which is on a network drive with multiple user and group permissions, the write permission reverts to just me, instead of the multiple users and groups, i.e., it becomes read-only for everyone else. It doesn't matter if the file is open with "(shared)" access on Windows first, if I save it, it becomes read-only to everyone else. Currently, I have to remember to immediately drop int...

CD Set
Hi, I have just a very basic question: The CD Set of CRM 3.0, which I received, has only two CDs: 1. CRM Server Setup 2. CRM Outlook Client Setup (Small Business or Professional Edition can be activated) Since CRM 1.2 had 5 CDs and Microsoft never created new applications, which became smaller than previous editions, I just wanted to know, if my CD Set is still complete. Why this edtion seems to be "smaller"? Thanks for your answer. regards Patrick It is complete (as of when CRM 3.0 was launched).. CRM 1.2 included things like the Data Migration Framework and connector to G...

Numeric currency to words
I would like to use a user created function to read a cell containing a numeric currency value and put it into words, ie. $103.40 is One Hundred Dollars and Forty Cents. Any help? Thanks! Here is one way (you would want to use "Dollar" as the second argument to the function)... Go into the VB Editor (Alt+F11) and add a Module to the Workbook (Insert/Module from the VBA menu) and then paste in all of the code appearing after my signature into the Module's code window. You can call the function from your work sheet like this =NumberAsText(A1) where A1 is assumed ...

Override document (view) settings on incoming email attachments?
Using 2003 in a mixed 2003/2007 environment. I'm also using Word as my default Outlook email editor, in case that matters. I work with different people who all have individual preferences for how to work in their documents. When I get documents (by email), and open them, sometimes they open in side-by-side (2 page) view, sometimes the document will open without the drawing toolbar or other toolbars, etc. Is there a reliable way to make sure that my set toolbars will always open with all documents and that the document view will always be my preferred view (print layout, vs...

Have we set a Precedent??
I need a simple Boolean function that will return TRUE if the argument is cell that has precedence tracing assigned to it, otherwise FALSE. I need to scan a worksheet and build a list of the cells that the user has marked for tracing. Thanks in Advance -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007xx ...

How do I open the Word equivalent of WordPerfect's "reveal codes"
How do I open the Word equivalent of WordPerfect's "reveal codes" Word has no equivalent as it does not use 'codes' to format a document. Word documents are formatted with styles. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> KevinCSullivan wrote: > Ho...

OL XP enable security setting
When my P900i run sync tools cannot update contact to outlook. I belive is the no prompt up the security setting box, disable the box show " A program is trying to access addresses you have stored in outlook, Do you want to allow this" how can enable this box. Thanks Jackie Wong 111@it.com, you wrote on Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:37:50 +0800: > When my P900i run sync tools cannot update contact to outlook. I belive is > the no prompt up the security setting box, disable the box show " A > program is trying to access addresses you have stored in outlook, Do you > ...

I have a set of numbers in an excel spreadsheet and want to find t
I have a set of numbers in a column in an excel spreadsheet and want to find top 5 numbers how do you do this? Sort them descending and select the five first Use autofilter and select top 10 and in the next window select 5 and click OK Use a formula like this and copy down 5 rows =LARGE($A$1:$A$100,ROW(1:1)) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Charles" wrote: > I have a set of numbers in a column in an excel spreadsheet and want to find > top 5 numbers how do you do this? Charles Use the LARGE function. If the data is in the range A2:A50 then use the formula =LARGE($A$2:$A$50,1...

In Word 2007 how do I transfer Styles from a template to another D
My customer wants me to use his template in a document that has already been written. On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 04:29:01 -0700, Techwriter II <TechwriterII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My customer wants me to use his template in a document that has already been >written. I answered your identical question yesterday. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&tid=b5ce82a1-51c3-49eb-8165-7e1c60761bd9&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1 -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ...

how do i set up outlook to check automaticly without the browser .
So i am used to netscape 4.79 where the "nsnotify" checks my mail every 5 min... can i get outlook 2002 to do the same without having the browser open or minimized? As in just from the icon tray? No, it has to be opened, though it can be minimised. Check mail settings and set to check every x mins - do not set to less than 10mins "cubeman" <cubeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:700BBC6D-1B97-4FF8-81AA-E0D49C0A9257@microsoft.com... > So i am used to netscape 4.79 where the "nsnotify" checks my mail every 5 > min... can i get outlo...

Any way to globally set comma as address seperator?
Is there a way to add comma as an address to seperator? Exchange 2003 server with Outlook 2000, XP, and 2003. Thanks. I'm downloading it now. >-----Original Message----- >David, my bad, I missed you specified 'globally'. You can do that with the >Profile Wizard/OPS system in the Office Resource Kit. > >http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/e/d/0eda9ae6- f5c9-44be-98c7-ccc3016a296a/ork.exe > >I think there is a regkey you can hack with, if you prefer. > >(Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Preferences) AllowCommasInRecip = 0x0 > > > ...

How do I set a constant multiplier in an equation?
When using excel to make a spread sheet with list prices, net prices with constant multipkiers, How do I set a constant multiplier in an equation? The old excel used the $ befor the cell to do this. As do all Excels. -- HTH Bob "dalmar" <dalmar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E736A76-E4B2-4C89-A29B-92657638C13D@microsoft.com... > When using excel to make a spread sheet with list prices, net prices with > constant multipkiers, How do I set a constant multiplier in an equation? > The > old excel used the $ befor the cell to ...

Issue with inserting an Access database to Word
I'm attempting to insert a shared Access database into Word using the Word "Insert Database" tool. I select the database query to run from, limit the fields, and insert the data - then I get an hourglass for a bit and when that's done I get nothing... not even an error message. There is data in the fields I'm pulling (I double-checked). The Word document at that point acts like I've changed it (requests a save on close), but there is no data on the screen. This process works when I create a local copy of the database that no other user is in, but ...

Why can't I edit header/footer in Word 2007?
Document was created using a template and saved as 1997-2003 file. I cannot edit header/footer (it only displays Remove Header/Footer) and cannot insert New Comment. Have had this problem more than once and usually fixed it by copy/paste to a new template but this time the procedure does not work. ...

LINKs: Creating a new default setting
When I place a LINK, the font on the cell changes from my font defaults, it makes them: Font: MA Sans Serif, Size: 12.5 Underline: Single Color Blue Is there a way to change this default? I want to have: Font: Arial Size: 10 Underline: None Color Blue Thanks in advance, Erich ...

I need help with setting up spread sheet in excel
I need to set up a spread sheet that can keep trak of what classes we offer and who is in them and if they have paid or not. I hope someone can elp me thanks How many classes are offered and how many students are typically in the class? "candy4lifersback" wrote: > I need to set up a spread sheet that can keep trak of what classes we offer > and who is in them and if they have paid or not. I hope someone can elp me > thanks ...

How do I get AutoText to insert frequent words & phrases?
In Word 2000, I used to have my most frequent words, phrases, etc. recorded in autotext so that they popped up while typing a document & inserted with a touch of the enter key. How do I get that major timesaver back? I found the instructions to add autotext to Word 2007, but none of my entries automatically appear while typing. It's pretty obvious it will take a LONG time to get used to this version. Hi, The AutoText feature has become part of the Building Blocks feature in Word 2007, but you can use the new feature just as you did in your previous version of Wor...

hi please help me set up my windows mail
hi.i kept getting an error message, like task error , SMPT, AND POP 3 WHICH I DONT KNOW HOW TO SET IT UP, I CANNOT SEND MAILS THEY KEEP COMING BACK,PLEASE HELP ME, THANK U.CGM cecilia Call your Internet supplier and ask them to help you set up your Windows Mail account.They are the ones that have all the information on how to set it up and let them walk you through the setup -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "cecilia maraj" <celia@microsoft.com> wrote in...

An error occurred while setting scanner properties in Document ima
Hello! "Scanning An error occurred while setting scanner properties. If another program is scanning, please wait for it to complete and try again." appear after clicking 'Preview' or 'Scan' or 'Adjust the quality of the scanned picture' after clicking 'Next page' in MS Office 2007 document imaging in Windows 7 x64. The first page is scanned without errors. Regards Hello! Why does not anybody reply? How to prevent this error? Regards, Dima "Dima" wrote: > Hello! > "Scanning > An error occurred while setting...