How do you open a template at startup?

I have been asked if you can start up a template on automatically opening the
Excel program when someone starts the computer.  I can get Excel to open but
I can not get the template to open automatically.  How can I do this?  I have
tried to put the template in the XLStart folder under the program file\office
on the local drive and even in the startup folder.  Neither worked and one
opened then closed Excel.  One more thing worth mentioning.  This template is
on a network drive.  I tried placing the template file on the local and
network drive but neither opened it when put into the startup areas.  What am
I doing wrong?  --Frustrated at this point--
--
Thank you for your time.
Windows NT

Some questions:

Is the template a .xls file or a .xtl file?
Is the file (folder) that the template is stored in on the network drive?
Is this file populated with other XL WBs (files)?
If yes, are these other XL WBs (files) .xlt or .xls files?
Would you want this template to open automatically in XL on *all* the
machines on the network, or just certain ones?

--
Regards,

RD

"James Kendall" <JamesKendall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been asked if you can start up a template on automatically opening
the
> Excel program when someone starts the computer.  I can get Excel to open
but
> I can not get the template to open automatically.  How can I do this?  I
have
> tried to put the template in the XLStart folder under the program
file\office
> on the local drive and even in the startup folder.  Neither worked and one
> opened then closed Excel.  One more thing worth mentioning.  This template
is
> on a network drive.  I tried placing the template file on the local and
> network drive but neither opened it when put into the startup areas.  What
am
> I doing wrong?  --Frustrated at this point--
> --
> Thank you for your time.
> Windows NT
> Office 97

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
7/21/2005 2:50:40 AM
Please see the answers below the questions.  Thanks.
--
Thank you for your time.
Windows NT

"Ragdyer" wrote:

> Some questions:
>
> Is the template a .xls file or a .xtl file?
The file is an .xlt file.
> Is the file (folder) that the template is stored in on the network drive?
The file is under a folder on the network drive.
> Is this file populated with other XL WBs (files)?
The Network file folder is populated with several xl* files that are used
regularly.
> If yes, are these other XL WBs (files) .xlt or .xls files?
Both.
> Would you want this template to open automatically in XL on *all* the
> machines on the network, or just certain ones?
No.  I only need this on one persons signon or just his workstation.

> --
> Regards,
>
> RD

> "James Kendall" <JamesKendall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have been asked if you can start up a template on automatically opening
> the
> > Excel program when someone starts the computer.  I can get Excel to open
> but
> > I can not get the template to open automatically.  How can I do this?  I
> have
> > tried to put the template in the XLStart folder under the program
> file\office
> > on the local drive and even in the startup folder.  Neither worked and one
> > opened then closed Excel.  One more thing worth mentioning.  This template
> is
> > on a network drive.  I tried placing the template file on the local and
> > network drive but neither opened it when put into the startup areas.  What
> am
> > I doing wrong?  --Frustrated at this point--
> > --
> > Thank you for your time.
> > Windows NT
> > Office 97

See if this works for you.

Do all this from *that* single machine.

Open Windows Explorer, and create a new folder on the machines C:\ drive.
Say you name it
User1

Navigate to your templates folder on the server and copy the template in
question to this *new, empty* User1 folder (should be a .xlt file as you
said).

Close Explorer and open XL.
<Tools> <Options> <General> tab,
In the Alternate StartUp File Location box, enter:
c:\user1\
Then <OK> out , and close XL.

Re-open XL, and you should see the *normal* book1 open.
That means, that since that Alternate StartUp file is populated with only a
..xlt file, nothing out of the ordinary occurs.

Now, from XL, navigate to the "user1" file and open that .xlt template file,
and do a "save as", and save as a XL workbook (.xls) to this same "user1"
file.
Make sure the name is spelled correctly, removing any suffixes or
extensions.

Now close XL once more, and then re-open.

You should now see that this template will become the default start-up WB.

The main rule is:
*Everything* in the Alternate StartUp File Location will open when XL opens,
*EXCEPT* .xlt template files.

The user will now use the template and when finished, will do a "SaveAs" to
rename it, and the default folder it will be saved in should be the file
that you designated in the "Default File Location" window.

You can keep the .xlt template file in that "user1" folder, just in case you
need to copy and transform it to a .xls file again.
--
HTH,

> Please see the answers below the questions.  Thanks.
> --
> Thank you for your time.
> Windows NT
> Office 97
>

> "Ragdyer" wrote:
>
> > Some questions:
> >
> > Is the template a .xls file or a .xtl file?
> The file is an .xlt file.
> > Is the file (folder) that the template is stored in on the network
drive?
> The file is under a folder on the network drive.
> > Is this file populated with other XL WBs (files)?
> The Network file folder is populated with several xl* files that are used
> regularly.
> > If yes, are these other XL WBs (files) .xlt or .xls files?
> Both.
> > Would you want this template to open automatically in XL on *all* the
> > machines on the network, or just certain ones?
> No.  I only need this on one persons signon or just his workstation.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > RD

-
> > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!

-

> > "James Kendall" <JamesKendall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > I have been asked if you can start up a template on automatically
opening
> > the
> > > Excel program when someone starts the computer.  I can get Excel to
open
> > but
> > > I can not get the template to open automatically.  How can I do this?
> > have
> > > tried to put the template in the XLStart folder under the program
> > file\office
> > > on the local drive and even in the startup folder.  Neither worked and
one
> > > opened then closed Excel.  One more thing worth mentioning.  This
template
> > is
> > > on a network drive.  I tried placing the template file on the local
and
> > > network drive but neither opened it when put into the startup areas.
What
> > am
> > > I doing wrong?  --Frustrated at this point--
> > > --
> > > Thank you for your time.
> > > Windows NT
> > > Office 97

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
7/21/2005 11:24:34 PM
Another way is to use the workgroup templates folder.

You can't change it in excel, but you can change it in MSWord.

Inside MSWord
tools|Options|File Location Tabs

point at that network folder.

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
What I did to complete this project was to create a subfolder in the network
drive instead of the local drive that contained the ".xls template" so it was
the only file and linked that location to this personal alternate startup
file location.
I just wish that it would take an .xlt file and open it up automatically.
The way I got around that so other users would not be able to modify the .xls
file was to place the file on 'Read Only' status so when they accidentally
hit save it forces a renaming of the file.  If I further wished to protect it
I could Password protect it but I don't need to in this circumstance.
Idea - Perhaps in the future Microsoft will allow automatic opening of a
template file on startup using a .xlt formated file.
--
Again, Thank you for your time.
Windows NT

"RagDyer" wrote:

> [...]
> > The file is an .xlt file.
> > > Is the file (folder) that the template is stored in on the network
> drive?
> > The file is under a folder on the network drive.
> > > Is this file populated with other XL WBs (files)?
> > The Network file folder is populated with several xl* files that are used
> > regularly.
> > > If yes, are these other XL WBs (files) .xlt or .xls files?
> > Both.
> > > Would you want this template to open automatically in XL on *all* the
> > > machines on the network, or just certain ones?
> > No.  I only need this on one persons signon or just his workstation.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > RD

> -
> > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

I really don't understand your hesitation in implementing a "regular"
template scenario for this one user (machine).

Are your users that inept<bg>, so that after opening XL, they cannot click
on:
<File> <New>
And then click on the template icon (or file name) in the default "General"
window (3 mouse clicks)?

This way you have your template protected since it's working within the
"normal" template environment.
--

> [...]
> > --
> > HTH,
> >
> > RD
> > Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
> >

> > "James Kendall" <JamesKendall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > Please see the answers below the questions.  Thanks.
> > > --
> > > Thank you for your time.
> > > Windows NT
> > > Office 97

> > > The file is an .xlt file.
> > drive?
> > > The file is under a folder on the network drive.
> > > The Network file folder is populated with several xl* files that are
used
> > > regularly.
> > > Both.
> > > No.  I only need this on one persons signon or just his workstation.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
7/26/2005 5:52:47 PM
*chuckle*  Um...how to explain.  I have set my computer up to load certain
things when I come in and log on.  They saw it and liked it and wanted to do
the same thing for the things they do on a daily basis.  The only difference
was that I didn't know how to use a template directly on excel.  I use
certain .xls files instead.  So I guess I set the precedence...<bg - big grin>
I also like challenges, learning new things, and helping people in saving
time.  That's why I had to try it with a template.
As for the inept<bg> issue...Perhaps.  That may be why I have found so many
computer projects to supplement my quality inspection job.  I also do MS
Access programing/database creation/modification.  Since I have picked up
these skills, I have become known as a "computer guru" (far from the truth,
but it gives me a certain level of job security).  I just know things and
take the time to find out things that they are unwilling to spend time
looking into.
Thanks again and feel free to poke fun at my coworkers anytime.
James

"RagDyer" wrote:

> [...]
> WB.
> > >
> > > The main rule is:
> > > *Everything* in the Alternate StartUp File Location will open when XL
> opens,
> > > *EXCEPT* .xlt template files.
> > >
> > > The user will now use the template and when finished, will do a "SaveAs"
> > > rename it, and the default folder it will be saved in should be the file
> > > that you designated in the "Default File Location" window.
> > >
> > > You can keep the .xlt template file in that "user1" folder, just in case
> you
> > > need to copy and transform it to a .xls file again.
> > > --
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > RD
> > > ==============================================
> > > Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!

Can't Open Recurring Appointment
I have a weekly recurring appointment that won't open. The MS Outlook error message says: "Can't open this item. You must enter a positive duration." What is this and how do I rectify it if I can't open the event? Thanks. ...

Can't open Outlook #9
For the last week every time I've tried to launch Outlook I get the message that program file addin "msspc.ecf" could not be installed...There is an error in the syntax or format of the file. I contacted Microsoft and the fixes sent to me didn't work. They included replacing the damaged extension, removing registry entries, and refreshing the extend.dat file. I also removed and reinstalled Outlook. Gosh I hope someone has figured this one out. I really need to get Outlook back. Mabe ...

A document with the name "xx" is already open......
Opening excel documents directly from the My Documents folder with the program not open we get the following error message: "A document with the name "xxx.xls" is already open. You cannot open ttwo documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. To open the second document, either close the document that's currently open or rename one of the documents" No other documents are open. When we close the error message everything is fine. When we first open Excel and then open from there, we do not get this error message. How can we...

auto open all columns to their maximum
I am emailing CSV files from a database to end users. When the user opens the CSV file how can I have excel auto open all of the columns to their maxium. Since you have CSV file format, each person will need to highlight a row, Format - Columns - Autofit. "Paul" wrote: > I am emailing CSV files from a database to end users. When the user opens the > CSV file how can I have excel auto open all of the columns to their maxium. actually...to play it safe and avoid dropping leading zero's....the user should open in wordpad, not excel.... "Paul" wrote: > I ...

using Crossed Lines template
When I enter my document title in the text box above the crossed lines template, it does not carry over to the other pages in the document, nor does find/replace work either. How can it be done so my text entered on one page is duplicated on all others in my document? Put the title on the Master Page (ctrl+m), it will appear on all pages. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jcam" <jcam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB5D1447-8B65-4981-81A6-8BD1C9A24451@microsoft.com... > When I ent...

templates for cases
Hello Community, we want to have templates for cases where the subject and description is already displayed and there should also be activities in the template. For Example we want to create a new user in Active Directory. For that Case there are always the same activities. So we want to have a template in which the subject, description and some activities are already there and we make a new case from this template and change only one field or two. Is that possible? Hi Thomas, There is no such facitlity out of the box. But through some custom devlopment it is not difficult to desig...

Lookup Value in Workflow Template
I was trying to get lookup value in my workflow template (Email), but i could not the value appearing null (empty), while Picklist or text its appearing in my worfklow email template. why i am not getting any lookup value. Example : Owner (its not appearing). Time Create : Created on (Its appearing). early response will be much appriciated. Thanks, Syed. ...

Outlook 2010 opens with calender
First started in Outlook 2007, I uninstalled 2007, but setting still transferred to 2010. I cannot find in either program, how to switch the default opening back to e-mail -- Art outlook 2007 and older: tools, options, other tab, advanced button - very top option. outlook 2010: file, options, advanced - second option down. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newslett...

Outlook won't open #13
Hi I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It displays the splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just hangs as soon as it displays the splash screen. Running Detect and Repair doesn't help. I suspect a corrupt registry key or profile file. Any ideas? Dave Logan wrote: > Hi > > I'm using Outlook 2000. Starting today, it refuses to open. It > displays the splash screen, then hangs. No error message, it just > hangs as soon as it displays the splash screen. Running Detect and > Repair doesn't help. I suspect a corrupt registr...

Publisher 2003 Templates do not act like Templates
Hi. :-) Ever since I installed Publisher 2003, the Templates have not behaved like templates. When I click a Template, instead of the default "New" Publisher document, the Template itself opens up with the same name as the template. In other words, Publisher 2003 templates simply behave like regular Publisher documents, not like templates. (My Word 2003 templates behave normally.) Similarly, when I open up Publisher, in the "New Publication" pane on the left, when I click on "Templates," instead of showing my templates in my C:\Documents and Settings\<...

File not opening #2
I've got the same problem that I've been reading here and on the ExcelTips website. When I try to open 2 of the spreadsheets on my system, I get a " 'C:\Documents and Settings\........\spreadsheet.xls' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and ..... (you know the rest)" I have tried the: excel /unregserver excel /regserver I have tried the: uncheck the ignore other applications I have tried the: regedit - remove dups (there were none) The directory with this spreadsheet (on my PC) is shared with 2 other computers (separate network - ...

Publisher 2007 open files problem with Server 2003
I have a very small network using Server 2003 and when we used Publisher 2003 It downloaded files from the Server to the Client Computers very fast. Now It takes 2-3 min. for small files and 3-5 min. for large files. There are a lot of pictures in these files but the same files opened in pub 2003 with no problems. Is there a solution for this issue. Thanks for your help. Maybe this article is your answer An Office program is slow or may appear to stop responding (hang) when you open a file from a network location http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833041 -- Mary Sauer http://m...

Error opening subform/form
When i use an access database and open a form containing a subform, the subform and its records are loaded before the main form as it should be. When i use an sql server database and open a form containing a subform, the subform and its records are NOT loaded before the main form. Can anyone please help me? Laura Laura, you cannot alter the way Access fires its events, so you will need to learn to work with it. Typcially when Access opens a form, it fires the subform's Open event before the main form's. But that does not mean it loads the *records* of the subform before the ...

How to turn off maximizing other documents when opening a new word
When you have a few word documents minimizes and you open a new word document, one of the minimized documents maximizes too. Is there a way to get rid of that annoyance? ...

Outlook 2007 won't open at all
Outlook 2007 won't open when I click on the icon. Can you help? -- Have a good day! What happens when you try? Can you start Outlook with the /resetnavpane switch? See if this helps - http://www.officeforlawyers.com/tsol.htm#cls -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "godprayer" <godprayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6FDCF35-6F46-484F-842E-E922A140...

E-mail Templates HTML format with pictures
Is it possible to create custom templates with an HTML body, including like my company logo ? If this is possible, can any one help me.. Thank you again in advance I created a web page in MS FrontPage. Posted the page on a web server with a public address. Then copied the page into a Direct Email Template. If you don't require a logo you can just paste it from FrontPage right into the Direct Email Template. HTH Donnie Sweat "Ulrich" <Ulrich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2BF4B7E-D92E-41EC-A55A-7B53AEE60A22@microsoft.com... > Is it possible ...

Opening a dialog in a more helpful position
I have the following line in a button event on FormA: DoCmd.OpenForm "FormB", WindowMode:=acDialog This opens FormB in the EXTREME upper left of the Access window, where the user will probably miss it. Is there a way to make FormB open in the middle of FormA? Thanks, Tom If you open the form in Design View, and go to properties, on the Format tab, there is an option to "Auto Center". Set that to yes and the form will automatically open to the middle of your screen. ...

Subform opens before main form
Can I pass a value from the main form before the subform opens? Can I have a public variable on the main form that passes a value to the sub-form when it opens? JimP wrote: >Can I pass a value from the main form before the subform opens? > >Can I have a public variable on the main form that passes a value to the >sub-form when it opens? No. The usual way to do something like that is for the subform to pull the value from the main form in the subform's Open or Load event. Use the Load event is you want are assigning variable to a control's Value. Since the main...

Opening Excel Spreadsheet on a tab #3
Not really what I am looking for. As I will be displaying differen sheets depending on what link is clicked, I don't need to have default sheet, instead I need to specify a different sheet to b displayed before excel is opened. i.e. A link for the prices sheet opens the spreadsheet on the price sheet, and straight after there is a link to the sales sheet, whic opens the spreadsheet on the sales sheet on the spreadsheet. Hope that makes more sense, Dav -- david.willi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- david.willis's Profile: http://www.excelfor...

Outlook Hangs with Open dialog
Whenever I want to add an attachment and try to navigate the open dialog hangs for about 1 minute. Getting very frustrating. Please help... I have Outlook 2003 (11.8010.6568 sp2) I'm having the same problem (file save as or open dialog freezes) with all Office 2003 applications. Did you ever solve this problem? "Lou" wrote: > Whenever I want to add an attachment and try to navigate the open dialog > hangs for about 1 minute. > Getting very frustrating. Please help... > I have Outlook 2003 (11.8010.6568 sp2) > > > Are you accessing a network drive? ...

can't get my inbox to open
When I get to Outlook I can't get my inbox to open. the following message appears: C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook|Debbie S.pst. Quit all mailenabled applications, and use the Inbox Repair tool. When I try to use the repair tool it won't work Help! MY FRIEND TRY DETECT AND REPAIR OUTLOOK USE YOUR OFFICE CD .. AND TRY 2 SEE IF YOU CAN GET INTO INBOX OK.. GOODLUCK MICHAEL KHAN >-----Original Message----- >When I get to Outlook I can't get my inbox to open. the >following message appears: >C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application >...

Add Template directory to the New Publication
How do I add "Template" to the list in the New Publication list under Backgrounds. I have a lot of templates and don't want to have to view them one at a time. The instructions I have to load them to publisher is to copy them into the "Applicatio Data" folder, listed as "documents and Settings/username/application data/microsoft/templates" however I don't have that one on my computer. Is there another way to access them than from this folder - listing them the same way you can for other "Pre-designed" projects? Thank you anyone who can ...

size of window upon opening a spreadsheet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I open my spreadsheet, sometimes it opens to a window that only shows the cells I want to see. Other times it opens showing those cells plus several rows and columns larger. Why does it not always show the area that was shown when it was last saved? I'm not sure I have the 'absolute' answer because I experience the same sort of thing once in a while � not just with Excel or Office, but a variety of file types. However, the way it reputedly works is that the window size retained should be whateve...

open publication publisher 2002 in different versions of publishe
someone please tell me how to open publication in publisher 2002 in different version of publisher say pub 2000 You should be able to open almost all versions of Publisher in Publisher 2002. Do you have Norton? Disable "script blocking" and try again. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "gza" <gza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1A9535D-6C88-4AE7-A495-D704CC2D06DD@microsoft.com... > someone please tell me how to open publication in publisher 2002 in > different versi...

Can't open any calendar items
This morning, I woke to discover that I could not open or create any appointments. I see them in Calendar view, the various Open and New commands show available, but invoking them does nothing. I can create new email messages, contacts, notes, tasks...but no appointments. I can point to nothing that has caused this, and am hoping that there is something I can try before resorting to a reinstall. Anyone...? Rick A. Pleasanton, CA Are you using a .PST file? If so, try running the Inbox Repair Tool against it to see if it finds any errors. Search your drive for a file called sca...