how do i write a sentence in a cell?

im reli confused i dont no how to write a sentence in a exel cell without it
running into the cell next to it n its buggin me cos im having to ut a good
paragragh in a cell n its not workin
0
131 (2)

Select the column, say col A
Click Format > Cells > Alignment tab
Check "Wrap text" > OK

Now when you type in col A, the text will wrap around w/o running into the
next cell. You could of course, increase the width of the column by dragging
the right edge of the column header to the right, etc

And if you need to break for a new line within the same cell,
press Alt + ENTER

--
Rgds
Max
"mega meg 13" <mega meg 13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> im reli confused i dont no how to write a sentence in a exel cell without
it
> running into the cell next to it n its buggin me cos im having to ut a
good
> paragragh in a cell n its not workin

0
demechanik (4694)

Highlighting Cells #2
In columns A:F, the sheet is text. I would like to highlight a row in a color, (Say A5:F:5) when an "A" is typed into F:5 Can this be done? -- comotoman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ comotoman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27292 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470747 Your question is confusing so I don't quite understand what you want to do. It sounds like you want conditional formatting. Here is what I think you want to do. If not please be ...

copying data to an adjacent cell
I have a huge list of products in Excel which have associated images. I have changed all the image file names to reflect the product ID no for example: product named abc and image file name abc.jpg. Is it possible to configure excel to automatically attach the> .jpg file extension to cells that have been copied and pasted from the product ID no. I WANT TO COPY A CELL WITH ABC AND PASTE ABC.jpg At the moment I am keying in the file extension .jpg and I have a few thousand products to do. If A1 contains ABC put =A1&".jpg" in cell B1 and copy on down -- Gary''s S...

checkbox whithin a cell
Is there a way to get a checkbox within a cell. The forms toolbar only lets you make a floating one. I want one directly in a cell. Hi AFAIK not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Greg wrote: > Is there a way to get a checkbox within a cell. > The forms toolbar only lets you make a floating one. > I want one directly in a cell. Maybe you could just use a character. =char(252) formatted with wingdings might be ok??? or =char(254) Greg wrote: > > Is there a way to get a checkbox within a cell. > The forms toolbar only lets you make a floating one. &g...

delete drop-down box in cell
I have a problem removing a drop-down list box in a cell and have trie using clear contents, delete cell, the delete button on the keyboard Can someone please tell me how to remove this box from the cell. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi might be one created by data / validation ... click on the cell choose data / validation choose Clear All regards JulieD "brain77 >" <<brain77.1apguz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:brain77.1apguz@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a problem removing a drop-down list box in a cell and have tr...

Question about cell assignment
I am making a spreadsheet where I add one new data point to a colum each day (e.g. number of cars I honked at yesterday) I also have a box that calculates statistics based on the data entere (e.g. total number of cars, percent increase over time, etc) How can I assign a formula in the "statistics box" that will updat when I enter in the new value in the "data column"? Is there som general notatation that will tell the cell to search for the mos recent value in a column of data? Thanks for your comments -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One formula woul...

Selecting evenly spaced cells
Hello, I have data set up such that I need to sum the value of a certain cell and all its offsets i.e. I have data in B2, B12, B22, B32, B42 and I want to sum up only these values, however I don't want to explicitly state each cell. For my other summation I want to sum up B3, B13, B23, B33, B43 and etc. What would this group suggest be the most elegant way in doing so Let me try to further explain My worksheet has this sort of setup Summary A's - Summed Up Value B's - Summed Up Value C's - Summed Up Value Issue 1 A - 5 B - 4 C - 2 Issue 2 A - 10 B - 5 C - 9 Issue 3 A...

extracting numbers from other cells (search)
Hi All Is there a way in excel to create a search cell?? ie if i have a column with various numbers ie. each cell containing numbers with comma like 12,2,7,34,5,21 etc (say 10 cells in a coulumn with various numbers separated by commas) is there a way of extracting number from the cells which i enter as a search, if i wanted to search 1,2,3,4,5,6 from the cells is there a way excel can show me which cells contain these numbers????? my newsreader crashed just after I hit the send button--sorry if this duplicates. I'd use a series of help columns. Put your data in A2:A999 (headers in Row...

help with cell referencing in named ranges
I have a named range covering about 30 columns of data. I'd like to lookup within the named range based on values in the 1st column, and a specific date which is the label on top of each of the other 29 columns. I have typed in a new column number as necessary, but I'd like to automate the column number by looking at a separate cell which gives the date. Ex: Dates across the top of the named range are 1/1/90, 1/1/91, etc thru 1/1/2003(in sheet1). Lets say I have a cell in sheet2(d1)that has the date 1/1/2003. In that same sheet starting in cell a1 I have a value which ...

Macro/message box to prompt user for their name and save name to cell
Hi, Any assistance would be greatly appreciated I need a macro that displays a message box which prompts the user fo their name. When the user enters their name the name is then the cop to a particular cell e.g. C2 Many thanks Ro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rob, how about something like this, Sub test() MyName = InputBox("Enter Your Name", "What Is Your Name?") If MyName = "" Then Exit Sub End If Sheet1.Range("C2").Value = MyName End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any r...

Create Folders and Write To Hard Disk Other than C:
My app can generate many gigabytes of data files (several megabytes each) per the user choice. For those who wonder, this happens over many hours and or days. I am making XP and up a requirement for using the app. So, for XP and up how do I do the following: (1)Set permissions on a different hard drive (other than C:) to read, write and delete data files. (a)for this user (b)for all users (common data). (2)Create a folder (assumes this is different than "normal"). I may be totally wrong, but I assume that reading, writing and deleting the file in this fo...

automatically entering data into a cell
I'm not sure if this is possible but... I have three columns, a date in the first and last and text in the middle. When I enter a date in the start date I would like text to be automatically displayed (the text is active) in the middle column. Then when I enter a date in the end date column I would like the text in the middle column to change to complete. Any help is much appreciated. Many thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi For H2:J2: =IF(AND(H2="";J2=""),"",IF(ISERROR(DAY(H2)),"It's not start-date",IF(ISERROR(...

"The Disk is full trying to write to c:\..."
Help I need to use a file and I have it on a disk. I open it up and try to save it on my hard drive but I get the error message "the disk is full trying to write to c:\..." My hard drive is 3/4 empty and there is no way it is full. What can I do? I need this file immediately and don't know what to do. The file also won't let me overwrite it on the disk saying the disk is write-protected but it is not. Thanks for the help. Nancy Don't open it on the disk. Copy the file over to your hard disk, make sure it is not a read-only file, then open it on your system. -- J...

Combining data (numeric format) in multiple cells into one cell (t
If you have data in multiple cells that is numeric format, can the data be combined into one cell as text? Example. Cell A1 is number of correct answers (9), Cell B1 is number of questions (10). In cell C1, would like to display data as (9-10)? Can a formula be created that will automatically do this so as to eliminate having to type the information? one way: =A1 & "-" & B1 In article <018B8827-4277-4C02-81E1-3BEDB61422A0@microsoft.com>, "GNAC SID" <GNAC SID@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If you have data in multiple cells that is num...

Click on cell to take you to chart
I have a table of contents cover page (in excel) and 20 charts (each in it's own worksheet within the same document). I need to have the person be able to click on the cell indicating the chart title on the title page and have it take them to the corresponding chart. Is this possible? Right click on your cell that contains the title that you want to be able to click on, click on hyperlink...where it says Link To: choose Place in this Document...then it shows you the sheets that you can have it bring you to. Then you can type the Cell that you want it to jump to as well. ...

Enter date in one cell, and the week ending date [Sunday] appears in the "W/E" cell
I have an XL 2003 workbook that I enter the date an event occured in cell C7. I want to make another cell [C2]display the week ending date [Sunday], based ono the date entered in cell C7. How can I accomplish this? Thanks, Tonso =7-WEEKDAY(C7,2)+C7 Daniel > I have an XL 2003 workbook that I enter the date an event occured in > cell C7. I want to make another cell [C2]display the week ending date > [Sunday], based ono the date entered in cell C7. How can I accomplish > this? > > Thanks, > > Tonso hi, =IF(WEEKDAY(C7)=1,C7,C7+(8-WEEKDAY(C7))) -- isabelle On ...

Refer to specific cell in a range
I would like to have a formula that refers to a specific (offset) cel in a range. For instance, range is three columns and 20 rows, and would like to refer to the cell in the first row and the third column. Should be simple ... Help appreciated -- maybeorno ----------------------------------------------------------------------- maybeornot's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1499 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26614 First time I've tried this, but it seemed to work: =OFFSET(Range1,0,2,1,1) Where - Range...

Generating Unicode characters in a cell using formulas
With older multibyte Chinese code sets like Big5, I could create a large list or table of Chinese characherts by generating their two components with a formula like =CHAR(HEX2DEC(LEFT(A5,2)))&CHAR(HEX2DEC(RIGHT(A5,2))) were the hex code for the character (eg. A440) was in tyhe target cell A5. With Unicode, all I get are the two individual characters that (in Big5 anyway) made up the multi-byte code for a character. BTW: In the case above, Big5 A440 is Unicode U+4e00, the character for "one" 一. Hi Geoff, You will have to create a User Defined Function for use on your w...

Format Cell Dialogue Box
Hi there, Why don't you make the Format Cells dialogue box modeless. So that you do not have to keep opening and closing it. Jimbola There are no "you"'s here, if your post is referring to Microsoft developers. This is a peer to peer News Group manned(personned?) by volunteers and not by Microsoft employees. Your "modeless" idea is a good one, however................ There are many shortcut keys for formatting cells without opening the dialog box. Perhaps one or more of them would suffice. See answer wizard on "shortcut keys" Gord Dibben Excel ...

trying to find how to display worksheet name in cell
I'm trying to determine the formula to display the worksheet name. http://contextures.com/xlfaqFun.html#SheetName From Debra Dalgleish's site. Yvonne Barber wrote: > > I'm trying to determine the formula to display the worksheet name. -- Dave Peterson ...

Move to next unprotected cell
Windows XP ,Office 2003 I have designed a form in which certain cells are protected. In some rows there is more than one unprotected cell, in others, only one unprotected cell. After entering data in an unprotected cell, pressing the 'Enter' key causes the curser to move to the first unprotected cell in the next row, whereas I require the curser to move to the next unprotected cell on the same row - and only moving to the next row when all cells on that row have been completed. How do I achieve this requirement? One way would be to use a worksheet_change event where you would ...

Two spreadsheets linked
Hi All I have two spreadsheets which are linked together. Spreadsheet a is linked to b so that in spreadsheet b it pulls in the cells B6:B17 from spreadsheet a. Unfortunately I need it to pull in b5:b16 so what I'm trying to do is to delete a row in spreadsheet a. But when I do that the cell reference in spreadsheet b automatically changes. Is there anyway to stop it automatically changing? Reason I;m not just changing the reference is that there are actually about 26 spreadsheets that are like spreadsheet a which are linked to b. And this would be the quickest way of changing the...

charting same cell across multiple tabs
How do you create a chart reference to that it will chart the same cell but across a range of tabs. Example, I have a years worth of tabs on a sheet, MMDDYYY, all with the same format on the sheet. I have a value that is in the same cell on each tab and I want to see the trend over several months, from tab x to tab y. I thought this would be the formula: ='08042003:10142003'!$R$4 But I get the error: reference not valid. Thanks, Ron. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from htt...

EXTRACTING NUMBERS FROM A TEXT CELL
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6EC75.288A0320 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello! Currently I am unable to download information from the accounting system = in a better format. So one line of information come into Excel in one = cell, hence, the example below:=20 =1B@1 0325=1B@1 OPENING BALANCE : .....ESTIMATED COST - = MATERIAL=1B@1< 813,936.29 There are two things I need to learn here: 1) How can I extract just the number.=20 1a) I tried t...

Count Blank Cells & Letter P
I have a range of cells from B10:B32 that have a few different values in them. I want to be able to count the cells that only contain nothing (blanks) and the letter P. How can this be done? ANY help would be greatly appreciated, Karen Do you mean to count all the blank cells plus all the cells that have "P"? Use this: HTH Otto =COUNTIF(B10:B32,"")+COUNTIF(B10:B32,"P") "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A361311-80FE-4CE5-9919-FD7FA86E5A09@microsoft.com... > I have a range of cells from B10:B32 th...

help with restricting paste in cells with data validation
I have a range (column infact) in which i would like users to only select options from the drop-down... i added the following code that prevent paste into cell with data validation from the same excel... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Does the validation range still have validation? If HasValidation(Range("ValidationRange")) Then Exit Sub Else Application.Undo MsgBox "Your last operation was canceled." & _ "It would have deleted data validation rules.", vbCritical End If En...