How do I use traffic lights in excel

I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?
0
Shorty (9)

Shorty

Format>Conditional Formatting>Cell Value is:

Note: you can add up to 3 conditions(4 if you count default)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:35:03 -0800, Shorty <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
>result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
>traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
>is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?

0
Gord
12/23/2004 1:16:55 AM
As answered in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions:

You can use conditional formatting to change the colour of a cell. There
are instructions in Excel's help, and here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

Or you could create a traffic light chart. Andy Pope has instructions on
his web site:

   http://www.andypope.info/charts/trafficlight.htm

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/23/2004 1:23:37 AM
Another method might be to use a wingding character that is solid round, say
char(197) and use conditional formatting and color the character red, amber
or green for each of your numbers.  Set conditional formatting to "formula
is" and set the reference to your cell with the condition (<=10,f or
instance) and then set the font to red.  Adjust as needed.
Gary

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> As answered in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions:
>
> You can use conditional formatting to change the colour of a cell. There
> are instructions in Excel's help, and here:
>
>    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html
>
> Or you could create a traffic light chart. Andy Pope has instructions on
> his web site:
>
>    http://www.andypope.info/charts/trafficlight.htm
>

> Shorty wrote:
> > I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
> > result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
> > traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
> > is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

GaryRowe (86)
12/23/2004 2:31:03 AM
this can be pretty complicated. Its best if someone can
show you this in person.  Is there anyone where you work
who can show you how to use conditional formating?

0
anonymous (74722)
12/23/2004 3:05:54 AM
Hi Jose,

"Jose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this can be pretty complicated. Its best if someone can
> show you this in person.  Is there anyone where you work
> who can show you how to use conditional formating?

That person would be hard pushed to better Debra Dalgleish's excellent
tutorial - see Debra's earlier response for the link.

Visit also the following link to Debra's site for a wealth of other
material:

        http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

---
Regards,