How do I use traffic lights in excel

I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?
0
Shorty (9)

Shorty

Format>Conditional Formatting>Cell Value is:

Note: you can add up to 3 conditions(4 if you count default)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:35:03 -0800, Shorty <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
>result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
>traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
>is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?

0
Gord
12/23/2004 1:16:55 AM
As answered in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions:

You can use conditional formatting to change the colour of a cell. There
are instructions in Excel's help, and here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

Or you could create a traffic light chart. Andy Pope has instructions on
his web site:

   http://www.andypope.info/charts/trafficlight.htm

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/23/2004 1:23:37 AM
Another method might be to use a wingding character that is solid round, say
char(197) and use conditional formatting and color the character red, amber
or green for each of your numbers.  Set conditional formatting to "formula
is" and set the reference to your cell with the condition (<=10,f or
instance) and then set the font to red.  Adjust as needed.
Gary

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> As answered in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions:
>
> You can use conditional formatting to change the colour of a cell. There
> are instructions in Excel's help, and here:
>
>    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html
>
> Or you could create a traffic light chart. Andy Pope has instructions on
> his web site:
>
>    http://www.andypope.info/charts/trafficlight.htm
>

> Shorty wrote:
> > I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
> > result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
> > traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
> > is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

GaryRowe (86)
12/23/2004 2:31:03 AM
this can be pretty complicated. Its best if someone can
show you this in person.  Is there anyone where you work
who can show you how to use conditional formating?

0
anonymous (74722)
12/23/2004 3:05:54 AM
Hi Jose,

"Jose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this can be pretty complicated. Its best if someone can
> show you this in person.  Is there anyone where you work
> who can show you how to use conditional formating?

That person would be hard pushed to better Debra Dalgleish's excellent
tutorial - see Debra's earlier response for the link.

Visit also the following link to Debra's site for a wealth of other
material:

        http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

---
Regards,
Norman

0
normanjones (1047)

a sample question about excel VBA
How can I make msgbox like this? �� there are X sheets of this workbook the first page name is : Sheets(1).Name the secod page name is : Sheets(2).Name �� until to the last page the X page mane is : Sheets(X).Name How can I write this module? Sub WorksheetNames() Dim i As Long Dim strAnswer As String strAnswer = _ "There are " & Worksheets.Count & _ " sheets of this workbook" For i = 1 To Worksheets.Count strAnswer = strAnswer & vbCr & _ "Sheet " & i & " : " & _...

Excel Menus Greyed out
This only happens in Excel XP and a re-install and/or repair don't seem to fix it. All other Office apps are fine. Anyone seen this? Remedy?! ...

Excel cannot open email program.
I often use "file.. send to... mail recipient" to send a spreadsheet as text in the body of an e-mail. I prefer that to sending excel as an attachment, since my recipients may not have excel and usually don't need to see formulas. On my new computer however I get the message "excel could not open the e-mail program" if I try the first option above. Both excel 2002 and outlook 2002 are working fine. I "repaired" office just to be sure. Still doesn't work. Only difference is that the computer came with a trial version of office 2003 which I don...

Default Line Weight in Excel
How do I change the default setting for the "Line Weight" when creating charts - at the moment all of my graphs are created with a very thin line weight & I would like the standard to be thicker.... You can't change the default line weight. However, you can create a custom chart with the heavier line weights and then use that custom chart instead of Excel's defaults. To do so, click once on your finished chart with the heavier line weights. Go to the standard toolbar and select Chart -> Chart Type. In the Chart Type dialog box, select the Custom Types tab. ...

GETPIVOTDATA and Date-type field (Excel 2007)
Data Sample *************** Trip 0346210980 Statement Date 3/24/2010 Description STARBUCKS Date 03/08/2010 LocCurrAmt 3.47 Formula: =GETPIVOTDATA("LocCurrAmt",A6,"Statement Date",DATE(2010,3,24)) Problem: I keep getting a #REF error. When I evaluate the error it's always with the DATE function. Steps I've taken: 1. Confirmed that my date is a number and not text. 2. Tried using the date serial number (40261) instead of the DATE function. 3. Confirmed the GETPIVOTDATA works...

Excel 2003
Whenever a colleague updates a spreadsheet I've created it comes back 10MBytes large whereas it was originally only 50KBytes. It looks to me as if the colleague accidentally adds tens or hundreds of thousands of empty rows. How can I delete all rows below a certain row. Delete does not work. Copying the real rows into a new worksheet loses the formatting. When I apply the formatting from the big spreadsheet (paste formatting) I end up with hundreds of thousands of rows again :-( Any suggestions? Tom Selecting all the rows below your actual data. Right-click, delete cells. (this is...

access / excel link
i know that i can link excel tables to an access database. can i link an access table to a spreadsheet? -- TomMurray hi Tom, tom wrote: > i know that i can link excel tables to an access database. can i link an > access table to a spreadsheet? You may use Data/Get External Data, but this not the same as linked table. Depending on your needs, you may consider using a VBA procedure (macro) to read the data with a DAO.Recordset and copy it manually into to your cells - you can copy also a complete recordset, see CopyFromRecordset in Excel. mfG --> stefan <-- thanks stefa...

How do I assign a shortcut key to an existing macro in Excel 2003.
ntahall, Alt+F8 to bring up the choose macro box, select your macro, options, assign a shortcut from there -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "ntahall" <ntahall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21B6102C-4B88-4131-A9AC-C48879896A17@microsoft.com... > ...

Why is Publisher printing very light, hard to read, after reinstal
I had to reload my Microsoft Office 2000 and now the print on my Publisher documents is very light and hard to read. How do I change this to a darker look? Betty FLorida This is not a Publisher issue. Do you have your printer set to draft? Is your driver current? Clean your printer heads. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Betty Florida" <Betty Florida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:331DD522-35D0-4448-9DA8-744A74476E25@microsoft.com... >I had to reload my Microsoft Office 2000 an...

Creating the occurrence frequency chart in Excel
I had a need to put a series of numbers into buckets of size 5. I created the following formula, and "dragged it down" =A1 + IF(MOD(A1,5), 5-MOD(A1,5), 0) I am sure that there is a better way of doing this. Can someone suggest it? Also, I wanted to come up with an occurrence frequency chart for my data. For example if I have numbers 4, 9, 13, 13, 17, 19, 19, 19, then I would like the occurrence frequency chart to plot the following informatiuon in a 2D chart: 0-4: 1 5-9: 2 10-14:2 15-30: 3 Thanks, Song Hi: This will work out the buckets for you. Paste it into the first cel...

Conditional Opening of Excel file
Hi, I have a complex workbook that relies on various SUMIF's from othe reference workbooks. If these aren't open, then obviously the formula don't work. As it's for someone else; I want a piece of VB so that when they *open the main workbook, it checks to see if the ref file is open, and i not, it automatically opens it for them. A bit like this sub worksheetopen '(Not sure where this should go in parent book) if workbook("Referencefile.xls") is NOT open then workbook("referencefile.xls").open endif endsub Any ideas folks?:confused -- Message p...

Suppressing zeros after the decimal point
How can I force zeros to display following a decimal point in Excel 2002? Whenever I type a number, such as 3.200, Excel drops the zeros and only enters 3.2 into the cell. Is there a setting that can be changed to fix this? (Using the "0.00" custom format seems to help, but if I have another number, such as 4.70, which only needs one zero to display, then I need another custom format for that one, and the next one, etc.) If anyone has a simpler suggestion, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Hi AFAIK you can't achieve this with a custom format. Either you have three decimals or...

how many characters i can put into one cell in Excel
If i typed a whole paragraph into one cell of Excel, only a part of para show up in that cell. I tried wrap text, increase the height of the column. Nothing happen. Any one have idea about it or there are some limit to view in Excel in one cell Hi Search for 'specifications' in Help: It says '32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.' -- Andy. "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:747E6CFE-88D9-4F4C-950E-56F0885C3096@microsoft.com... > If i typed a whole paragraph into one cell o...

excel charts look drastically different on different computers
When we open excel charts on different computers in our office the formatting looks drastically different (for example, data labels and arrows on charts are in different locations). This is a huge problem because it means that the formatting has to be fixed each time someone opens an excel chart. This was never a problem until recently when some of our staff got new computers and for a short time they were using Office 2007 (everyone else in the office was using Office 2003). We've switched everyone back to Office 2003, but the problem with excel charts persists. When u ad...

Inventory Transactions using Integration Manager
Hi I am trying to import inventory transactions (adjustmnet) using the IM, the key thing is I want all lines in a single transaction. I memic the sample in IM. but its not working imports all linesbut I am getting this error: Object 'Adjustment 1' already exists -- cannot Insert. I think the problem is related to te documnet number, I am using a cloumn that conatains the same number for all rows (in order to import all the lines in a single trx) Am I missing anything? any hint? Thanks Look at the "group by" function in the IM manual. An import will consist of hea...

Can an Excel file be converted into Visio?
Does anyone know if this is even possible? Is there a converter pack or a website that would illustrate this process? Thanks, Jim ...

XP Style button using MFC 4.2
Hi, I am using Visual C++ 6, MFC 4.2. Windows XP SP2. My problem is, how could I get the XP Style buttons on the dialog. If i dynamically create the button using CreateWindow() the button still looks same. I've tried 'Button Controls' article on MSDN but no luck. Could anyone help me? Thanks, Fahad Themes are handled by the system, and not on a button-basis. The way to give your application running on XP the themed look is to include a manifest resource. The resource can either be a resource compiled into your EXE or it can be a separate file in the same directory as your ...

excel 2000 convert to excel 2003
Hi I would like to move current excell 2000 spread sheets and open them in 2003 excel. Please help in any way. I have copied my excell 2000 data onto a floppy however it will not open in Excel 2003 XL2000 and XL2003 share exactly the same file format and so should open just fine in either. However, you should never open XL files on floppies - XL uses temporary files, which may exceed the capacity of the floppy. Instead, copy the file from the floppy to your HD before opening. In article <72864281-728A-4B27-8317-A760E6440BB2@microsoft.com>, cityof <cityof@discussions.microsoft...

Font size changes in Excel 2003 charts when re-opened
For certain charts that I create within Excel 2003 (usually bar charts), I use a font size of 8 (eg for data labels, axis labels, and scale). If I close the file and then re-open it, all these fonts will have become size one (title and legend are not effected). Oddly, if I have created a bar chart and made several copies of it within a worksheet, it will only be the original and not the copies that are affected by this. If anyone can shed any light on why this may be happening and how it could be fixed, I would really appreciate it. Lucie ...

Using VBA to change Excel layouts
Our company has designed 4 different spreadsheet designs. The same data gets stored in any of the 4 spreadsheet layouts....the only difference is that some spreadsheets use different colors, have different fonts and cell sizes and etc... I thought it would be nice to create just ONE spreadsheet that contains a combo-box or list-box or drop-down box which allows the user to select 1 of the 4 layout choices, then I want VBA to programattically setup the spreadsheet layout according to the users choice. Does that make sense? Does anybody know any good ways to implement something lik...

Excel Crash
Multiple users here have this same problem that whenever they open a particular Excel file, it gives them a "Send Report Error." Weird thing about it is it doesnt happen in all their Excel files, only happens to some of them. Also tried opening the very same file/s they are having problems with on my machine and it worked fine. I have patched Office (SP2), updated Acrobat Reader, updated signatures, uninstalled/reinstalled Office, and done all the possible troubleshooting on these machines but still error occurs. Any help appreciated, thanks! Isolate the problem as best yo...

USING DATES IN FORMULAS #2
I foubd a problem with excel 2003 If you introduce a formula using dates (in spanish version) (dd/mm/yy), excel doesnt makes the calculation........... ???? Can somebody hep me In the USA version (English), I could use: =if(a1=date(2005,10,27),"It's Oct 27, 2005","it's not") to refer to a date. I don't know what the Spanish function is for =date(), though. Carlos Benavides wrote: > > I foubd a problem with excel 2003 > If you introduce a formula using dates (in spanish version) (dd/mm/yy), > excel doesnt makes the calculation........... ????...

How do I use a pivot table to get an average count? #2
I have a list of transactions with colum headers of Month, Date, Weekday, Time and the transaction data. I would like to see the average number of transaction per hour per day. Can this be done in a pivot table? ...

why can I not format a secondary axis in excel x?
Despite being able to graph data on a secondary axis in Microsoft Excel X, I have been unable to format said axis (ie make it start from a value other than zero). No amount of trying to click on and select the axis or the values has helped. Are you saying that double clicking does not bring up the Format dialog box for the axis? Try tapping the 'navigation (arrow) keys while watching the Name box. When it reads Secondary Value.... use the Format menu item to open the dialog box and then open the Scale tab to set the Min and Max values best wishes Bernard "mackie99" <...

How can I type more than one line of text into a cell in Excel?
I am using Excel to organize contact information, names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. I would like all of this information in one cell and in the standard format of: name address phone etc. I do not know how to make Excel accept more than one line of text, unless I cut and paste it from a Word document. Could someone please tell me how to format the cells so that more than one line of text can be accepted in a cell? Hi use ALT+ENTER for inserting line breaks -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "watermark" <watermark@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsb...