How do I use traffic lights in excel

I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?
0
Shorty (9)

Shorty

Format>Conditional Formatting>Cell Value is:

Note: you can add up to 3 conditions(4 if you count default)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:35:03 -0800, Shorty <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
>result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
>traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
>is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?

0
Gord
12/23/2004 1:16:55 AM
As answered in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions:

You can use conditional formatting to change the colour of a cell. There
are instructions in Excel's help, and here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

Or you could create a traffic light chart. Andy Pope has instructions on
his web site:

   http://www.andypope.info/charts/trafficlight.htm

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/23/2004 1:23:37 AM
Another method might be to use a wingding character that is solid round, say
char(197) and use conditional formatting and color the character red, amber
or green for each of your numbers.  Set conditional formatting to "formula
is" and set the reference to your cell with the condition (<=10,f or
instance) and then set the font to red.  Adjust as needed.
Gary

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> As answered in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions:
>
> You can use conditional formatting to change the colour of a cell. There
> are instructions in Excel's help, and here:
>
>    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html
>
> Or you could create a traffic light chart. Andy Pope has instructions on
> his web site:
>
>    http://www.andypope.info/charts/trafficlight.htm
>

> Shorty wrote:
> > I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the
> > result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the
> > traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result
> > is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this?
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

GaryRowe (86)
12/23/2004 2:31:03 AM
this can be pretty complicated. Its best if someone can
show you this in person.  Is there anyone where you work
who can show you how to use conditional formating?

0
anonymous (74722)
12/23/2004 3:05:54 AM
Hi Jose,

"Jose" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this can be pretty complicated. Its best if someone can
> show you this in person.  Is there anyone where you work
> who can show you how to use conditional formating?

That person would be hard pushed to better Debra Dalgleish's excellent
tutorial - see Debra's earlier response for the link.

Visit also the following link to Debra's site for a wealth of other
material:

        http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

---
Regards,
Norman

0
normanjones (1047)

Windowsupdate using Intranet?
Is there a way to setup a local server to use as the wundowsupdate site for a large # of pc's, but that has a small pipe to the internet? Try downloading the Software update services onto one server, use that the install onto PC's etc, using Group Policies cheers >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to setup a local server to use as the >wundowsupdate site for a large # of pc's, but that has a >small pipe to the internet? >. > ...

Excel Data Querry using criteria from Cell
Hello, I have created a data query in Excel using DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - NEW DATABASE QUERY and then selecting Access and browsing to an query within an Access database. This query returns all data into excel, but I would like to limit the criteria based on what a user has typed into a cell in the Excel workbook. I thought this could be accomplished by clicking DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA then PARAMETERS but the PARAMETERS option is grayed out. I can select EDIT CURRENT QUERY, but this just brings me into the Microsoft query, where I don't see any options to query based on...

Excel 2003 not understanding Access 2003 "like"
I have a number of Access queries linked and displayed in an Excel workbook by way of Data, Import External Data, Import Data. Some of the criteria and select statements in the queries use the keyword "Like" (e.g. Like "*Smith" to pull up all names ending in "Smith"). These statements seem to be completely ignored by Excel so that records I should see are not appearing in the workbook. This worked fine in versions 97 (from which we've just upgraded) so is this a version 2003 bug? If so, is there a fix? ...

Change 2007 excel Autofilter back to 2003?
Does anyone know if there is a way to change excel's 2007 autofilter functionality back to like excel 2003 autoflilter use to work? I need to quickly bring up like values and compare other columns based upon the filtered values and the extra clicking of the check boxes is driving me nuts! If it helps any (and if you haven't thought about it yet), you can click the "(Select All)" entry twice to remove your current selections. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "jonnybrovo815" <jonnybrovo815@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36837406-1...

using button to clear contents
I have finally found out how to add a button but now I am haveing a problem on having the button clear contents in certain cells does anyone know how to do this thanks for your help I do not know any codes for this I'll bet you could learn very quickly by using the macro recorder while you select some cells and edit>clear>contents. Here is a sample for a button from the Control Toolbox Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveSheet.Range("certain cells").ClearContents End Sub "certain cells" would be your range of cells. Gord Dibben MS Exc...

publishing images with Excel workbook
I have created an workbook with Excel and put a photo on the first page. when I publish the workbook as an web page (interactivity) my photo is missing. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have try everything I know to do = insert picture, putting copying photo to clipboard and shift, pasta picture and still logo is missing. Lee ...

How do I create a Cost Volume Profit Graph in Excel?
I was wondering if I could get some help on how to create a CVP graph in Excel 2007. A cost volume profit shows how costs, revenues, and profits vary with volume (sales). You can either plot total cost, or fixed and variable costs, which add up to total costs. One way to show this is to make a break-even chart. Put unit sales (number of items sold) in the first column, fixed costs in the second (which are a constant), variable costs in the third column (these are typically a straight line through zero), and in the fourth insert formulas that sum fixed and variable costs to make total ...

Using icon sets with relative references
I am using Excel 2007 in the Vista OS. I am trying to use conditional formatting with an icon set in a column but Excel will not allow relative references. Example: A1=10 min B1=20 max C1=30 oh D1=a formula { =IF(C1=0,B1,(B1-C1)) } The condtional formatting of D1 would be: if the value showing in D1 is >B1 the cell would show a red 'X', if the value showing in D1 is <A1 the cell would show a green 'check mark', and if the value showing in D1 is between the values in A1 and B1 it would show a yellow 'exclamation point'. I can get the D1 ...

how can I split a single cell diagonally in Excel 2000
Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel cell diagonally in order to have it contain 2 pieces of information? Forrest, As far as I know, you can not split a cell diagonally so that it can contain 2 pieces of information. However, you can merge cells which might give you the effect that you want. To do so, go to the standard toolbar and hit Format -> Cells -> Alignment Tab -> Text Control and work with the merged cells option. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Forrest" wrote: > Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel ce...

Reading ranges and copying data from Excel when it is not open
Is there a way in code to copy data out of an Excel file even if Excel is not up and running? If Excel were open, I'd copy, say, the first 30 rows and paste the info to PowerPoint. Then, since rows 1-5 are for column headings, I'd hide rows 6-30 and copy a new range which would look involve 30 rows, but since rows 6-30 were hidden would be 1-5 and then 31-55 as a contiguous block. I am trying to do this in VBA without opening Excel and instatiating objects, etc. Is it possible? What VBA commands would I use? You would need to treat the excel file as a database and use ADO to g...

Using external email address for AD user
We have certain users that we would like to use an external email address for and give access to resources in the domain. The only solution I have found so far is to create an account they will use for access and then to add a contact so we can send emails and add as a member of DL's. Ideally, I would like to do this without adding 2 separate objects in AD. Is that possible? Hi there, Are you aware that you can create a user and mail-enable them (not mailbox-enable), establishing an external address on the account. It removes the need for both a contact and a user accoun...

Mode Indicators in Excel?
A good example of a missing mode indicator one for whether th calculation mode is set to manual or automatic. Isn't there any othe way to find out other than going to the Tools>Options>Calculatio dialog? This has messed me up almost any time calculation gets set t manual. Another example is that trying to use stored Custom Views for filtere lists gives the error "Some view settings could not be applied" on som worksheets (usually complex ones), but works OK in others (usuall simpler ones). I know sheet protection is one thing that can caus this (which itself has no mod...

HOW IS F3 USED WTH EXAMPLE
hi guys reply me soon 1) In A1 type a number such as 12% 2) With A1 still selected, in the Name box (box to left of Formula Bar) type the word taxrate and press Enter. You must press Enter for this to work! 3) Let's confirm that you have named the cell A1: click on cell D1, now click on cell A1. The name box should not display "taxrate". If not, repeat steps 2 4) In A2 type a number like 100 5) In B2 type =A2* and then tap the F3 key. A dialog box opens, select the entry "taxrate" and click the OK key. Another way is to double click the "taxrate" entry....

Predicting new Ys given new Xs using known relationship for X and
Hello. I know people have posted similar questions about using an existing relationship between X and Y to predict new Ys given new Xs but I think mine has a slightly different twist. I would appreciate any help that could be offered. I have 20 data points for both X and Y. Each X point represents the number of workers on a farm for a particular year over a 20-year period. Each Y point represents the amount of crop harvest each year over that same period. The data is from 1901 to 1920. When I plot the points and fit an exponential trend line I get a high R-square of .9 . I would li...

Chart drawing problem in Excel 2003
Over the last few months I have had the same problem in excel with all charts where I've used a two colour fill effect for either a data series or background. When I use this feature the entire chart is only viewable in black and white and excel takes a long time to actually draw the chart. However if I print the chart or even copy and paste into excel all the colours are as they should be. The mpeg moving shows how excel draws an example chart when the chart sheet is activated http://www.paperlessbooks.co.uk/barchart_example.avi and to see how excel prints to pdf see the pdf belo...

transfer contacts using email
Is it possible to transfer contacts from one machine to another using email? If, yes, what does the receiving person need to do? Many thanks, Frank FJB <FJB0623@aol.com> wrote: > Is it possible to transfer contacts from one machine to another using > email? If, yes, what does the receiving person need to do? Create a new PST (File>Net>Outlook Data File). Now, right-click Contacts and choose Copy. SPecify the new PST as the destination. When the copy completes, right-click the new PST and choose Close. Close Outlook. Rename the PST's file extension to something...

Auto Filter
When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when filtering. Is there any way of being able to accomplish this? Hi you may have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits for a workaround Frank Gail wrote: > When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list > will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 > unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when > filterin...

Excel cant SAVE added data?
This is a copy/paste with minor edits from post submitted yesterday ... Excel 2000 ... I have a single page spread sheet (my own) ... built in Excel 2000 (still Excel 2000) that was working fine. After expanding the spread sheet to handle more equipment I received error message stating: Excel can not SAVE all of the added data & formatting ... Here I had the option to select OK without fixing ... CANCEL ... or ... HELP. I selected HELP & ended up on a blank HELP Page ... So now I am turning to this board. Anybody know what gives? Could I be running into a formatting limit i...

Using Dependents
In a particular instance when I am using the dependents search facility, a small symbol like a table or an Excel sheet appears, (the dependent arrow pointing to it). It's as if it is indicating that some other sheet has data dependednt on the cell. But I can't find any other sheet with dependent data. Double-click the arrow to the sheet symbol and Excel will display the dependent cells -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Zembu" <Zembu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:352631A7-0BF4-451D-8781-669C26270BF6@microsoft....

Coloured wheel of death with excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I get a coloured wheel of death every time i use excel from office 2008, almost every time I type into a cell, for about 3 - 6 seconds. I've looked on here and there seems to be a lot of discussion about hp drivers, but I don't have an hp printer. I'm working in normal view. Can anyone help? First, be certain that both Office (12.2.3) & OS X (10.6.2) are fully updated. Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions, then see if things improve after a restart of your Mac. If things are still ...

Functionality lost by using exchange
Our institution recently changed from provider based internet mail (pop3) to letting external mail arrive directly to our exchange 2003 server. The following problem shows up: in the old scenario, groups had 2 mailboxes: one for the group (G) and a private mailbox for the manager (M), each with their own e-mail address. I emulated this by creating a mbx-enabled user G, that is only used for the mailbox, not for login. I gave all group members including M access to that mailbox. But what happens? 1. If a group member sends a mail, the return address is the address of the sender; it should b...

Use query for Row Source?
I attempted to use a combo-box to look-up records on a form. The RowSource query that is generated by the wizard included 2 data fields. I wanted to show only a distinct list of the second, non-key data element (col1). When I changed the RowSource query to SELECT distinct Col1, the combo-box displays nothing. I then created a stored query with the SELECT distinct Col1. They query runs correctly, but when I put in in the RowSource, it displays nothing. Any clue what I could be doing wrong? On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:17:03 -0700, JHC wrote: > I attempted to use a combo-box to look-u...

Excel cut/Paste Problem: Year changes after data is copy and paste
I am using Excel 2003, and here is the problem. I have an Excel sheet that contains financials. Different departments need different sections of the data, so I copy and paste out only those sections they need and paste it into a new Excel sheet. The colums are broken up into dates, and formated to show date-year (Dec-05). For some reason, when I copy and paste sections, the date will change, for example Dec-05 will change to Dec-01. I have to go thru and manually correct all the dates. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? . .. maybe the cells in the New worksheet are preset to a c...

EXCEL Decimal changes during WORD Merge
Why does Excel change 16 cents into .1599999 in a merge process Have not had this problem until we upgraded to 2003????? I have tried different cell formats in Excel Number - currency - accounting - custom - all with the 2 decimal places text - but rather not lose numeric functions (am re-entering figures by hand and using text format today to finish merged letters - - ugghhh!) Help? I have had a similar problem in previous versions of Excel as well, not just Office 2003. Is the data in Excel coming from an outside source like a non Microsoft database query? I run into this probl...

Copy/Paste with Hidden Rows/Columns Excel 2007
I am working with rather large & detailed spreadsheets. I have hidden rows and columns with supporting details that feed into the viewable results (formulas). I need to take the “zipped up” data and copy/paste to a new worksheet. When I paste the data, it appears with all of the hidden columns and rows visible one again. Is there any way to paste the zipped up data without the reappearance of the previously hidden rows and columns? Can you paste a link without all of the hidden data reappearing? Select range to copy which includes hidden rows and columns. F5>Special...