How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula

If cell A1 had the text TEST in it
and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box
what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the
cells in the group called TEST.
I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to
refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously

Any help appreciated
Thank you
0
Kiwi (6)

In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g.,

=SUM(INDIRECT(A1))

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Kiwi" <Kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> If cell A1 had the text TEST in it
> and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the
> name box
> what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the
> sum of the
> cells in the group called TEST.
> I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the
> formula to
> refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work
> obviously
>
> Any help appreciated
> Thank you

0
chip1 (1821)
4/11/2005 3:05:40 AM
Thanks Chip, easy when you know how

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

> In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g.,
>
> =SUM(INDIRECT(A1))
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "Kiwi" <Kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > If cell A1 had the text TEST in it
> > and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the
> > name box
> > what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the
> > sum of the
> > cells in the group called TEST.
> > I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the
> > formula to
> > refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work
> > obviously
> >
> > Any help appreciated
> > Thank you

0