how do I turn rows into columns

I'm copy and pasting a list into Excel.  Excel automatically takes my list
and puts each item into the next row.  What I want to do is have each row be
the heading of a column instead.  So how to I get the table to reverse
itself, so items in rows go into columns, and the columns become rows instead?
0
Madigan (1)

Copy > PasteSpecial > Transpose > ok..................

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Madigan" <Madigan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm copy and pasting a list into Excel.  Excel automatically takes my list
> and puts each item into the next row.  What I want to do is have each row
be
> the heading of a column instead.  So how to I get the table to reverse
> itself, so items in rows go into columns, and the columns become rows
instead?

0
croberts (1377)
8/11/2005 8:52:21 PM
Try this:

Copy the cells then select
Edit>Paste Special
then select the Transpose check box right above the OK button then hit OK.

Hope this helps.

"Madigan" wrote:

> I'm copy and pasting a list into Excel.  Excel automatically takes my list
> and puts each item into the next row.  What I want to do is have each row be
> the heading of a column instead.  So how to I get the table to reverse
> itself, so items in rows go into columns, and the columns become rows instead?

Column Headings #11
Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet w/out affecting the upper column sizes... Coolumn width belongs to the entire column and cannot be altered in separate sections of that column. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:51:01 -0800, spencer4hire <spencer4hire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can you add seperate column headings (A, B, C, ...) into one spreadsheet? >I'm attempting to alter the column sizes half-way through the spreadsheet >w/ou...

Text to columns

Column Reference to External Source As a Variable
Can anyone help me convert the column referenced in the formula below into a variable that the user can define? More specifically, I have several columns that I need to read from an external workbook (Short_Billy.xls). Each column to the right of column C represents an additional day out in a 14 day projection from today (whose data is held in column C). In cell I5 of my active workbook (Inventory.xls), I would like the user to be able to enter a value representing the number of days out they would like to see the projection for (0=today=Column C, 1=Tomorrow=Column D, etc.). In cell I6, I...

make colour in rows stay
How can I lock the fill colours in a row even when I change around the data or sort alphabetically? Thanks and God Bless, Harley Use CF http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Crowraine" <Crowraine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED158D7D-62AB-4DA8-A948-2A6556D8047C@microsoft.com... > How can I lock the fill colours in a row even when I change around the data > or sort alphabetically? > > Thanks and God Bless, > Harley ...

One Entry to Multiple Rows

Excel 2003 Copy/Paste filtered column
I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filtered column. It is not copying over the original filtered column but rather over cells that have been filtered out. The worksheet/cells are not protected. What could the problem be? Kind Regards Heather That's the way pasting works. It'll hit the visible and hidden cells. Heather wrote: > > I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, > changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filter...

how to automatically suppress space before after column break?
Having Spacing Before and After on some of the styles, I seem to be unable to have the space before at the beginning of a column automatically dismissed when applying a column break. I have tried a couple of options under compatibility, but to no avail. This in on Word 2003. The No HTML function + No Space Before after column break do not solve the problem. Can you help please? Tools | Options | Compatibility: Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break. If this isn't working, then check to make sure you don't have an empty paragraph before the first text pa...

matching columns of numbers

Create individual files from a row

Determine number of rows with data

Count the text in a column
I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in another cell if it meets the text criteria Thanks! Do you mean count the characters? If so =SUM(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A20))*LEN(A1:A20)) as an array formula (committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94C093C4-38DC-4989-846A-9352F3298B7C@microsoft.com... > I would like to count the text in a column then for it to add a figure in > another cell if it meets the t...

forms and column lengths
Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the row above?? Hi there's n o bulit-in feature for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Blair" <Blair@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C1D2CAAD-C4E9-492A-ADF4-CBDB659514A3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have excel do an auto "carriage return" to the next row > when you have reached the specified maximum number of characters in the > row > above?? ...

underline in row not repeating
It seems as if my bottom of the cell outline is not repeating on subsequent pages. I have a few header rows on a sheet. The bottom row has a bottom line. I'm talking about cell outlines, not underlining of words in the cell. Anyway, I've told the print option to repeat the first 3 rows on following pages but the bottom outline does not seem to repeat. How can I fix this? Thanks, Keith Never mind. This seems to be working. Not sure what was going on the first time. "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OM82rj8rIHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >...

Selecting a column with an integer
Sub ColumnSelection() ' Selecting a column with an integer ' Please show me how to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) Dim r As Integer Dim c As String Dim numericcolumn As Integer Dim alphabetcolumn As String numericcolumn = 4 ' in practice 4 is the resultant of an equation alphabetcolumn = "=CHAR(" & numericcolumn + 64 & ")" Cells(1, 1) = alphabetcolumn ' I like to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) c = Cells(1, 1).Value ' I like to eliminate the use of Cells(1, 1) Cell...

How to unhide Excel rows after they are automatily hidden
Helpful advice on posting to newsgroups here... http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming) "Chuck" wrote in message ...

BP Req Mgmt Lookup should show additional columns
When doing a lookup I should be able to configure the columns that I would like to see visible on the lookup. For example, when looking up an item only item number and item description are visible fields. I would like to configure the lookup to show additional fields, like the vendor name. ...

Prevent copy and paste in one column
I am having trouble trying to prevent copying and pasting in one specific column. The code refers to the specific range, but yet it prevents copying and pasting on the whole worksheet. Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("H:H")) Is Nothing Then Application.CellDragAndDrop = False Application.CutCopyMode = False Else Application.CellDragAndDrop = True End If End Sub Works for me in Excel 2003 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:42:01...

how do I turn off journal for one file #2
I have a number of excel files that run regularly. I how can I turn of individual files so they don't clutter my jouranl in Outlook? ...

copying column width in tables
Hi, I created a table in Publisher with 6 columns. I would columns #1, 2, 4 and 5 to have the same width and columns 3 and 6 to have a different width. I'd like to set the width of column 1 and then paste that size to the other four so they all have exactly the same width. Presently, I am eyeballing it, but it takes too much time and is not exact. Any ideas on how to do this? The only way is to create guides. Arrange, ruler guides. You could try creating a table in Word, copy/paste. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsof...

turning archiving on
This will start to sound the same, but I swear it's not ... SBS 4.5 on NT 4.0 SP6a (Exchange 5.5 SP4) Had to rebuild an SBS machine, install this software for the first time, and had backed up the public and private information stores before doing so. As this is a small company it was easy enough to get the users to backup their mailboxes as pst files also, just in case. Previously we were storing a copy of the emails, outside of the private information store, in a folder such as \imcdata\in\archive or \imcdata\out\archive. There were some log files in roughly the location \imcdata\log t...

Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row
I am trying to highlight duplicates in a row and am using the explanation: Highlighting Duplicate Entries Our first task is to highlight the cells in Range1 that are duplicates. We use Excel's Conditional Formatting tool to accomplish this. First, highlight the entire Range1. Then, select the Conditional Formatting tool from the Format menu: Format->Conditional Formatting. Change the "Cell Value Is" option to "Formula Is" and enter the following formula in the formula text box: =IF(COUNTIF(Range1, A5)>1,TRUE,FALSE) Where A5 is the first cell in Range1....

Why can't I unhide rows 1 to 47 in a worksheet?
No matter what I try, I can't show the rows I hid. Please help. Hi, HTH Press ctrl+home. Hold down the shift key and click in A48 Press ctrl+shift+9 ray "lcarr13" wrote: > No matter what I try, I can't show the rows I hid. Please help. Because you have freeze panes. Window|Unfreeze panes and scroll up and there you go. lcarr13 wrote: > > No matter what I try, I can't show the rows I hid. Please help. -- Dave Peterson "lcarr13" <lcarr13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9534BD16-F9BD-486F-9588-0DE35BB351AC@microso...