How do I turn on Excel Autosave in Office XP?

0
S1 (162)

Craig

There is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as there was in earlier versions.

Autorecovery from Tools>Options>Save is it.  This is not the same as Autosave
which made true incremental saves at intervals.

Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes
normally without incident.

BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla
in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine.

I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 and does the job.

To download the 97 version go here.....

http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

In addition to the above......Jan Karel Pieterse has an addin called AutoSafe

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves.  It saves to a user
selectable folder.  And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts them in the recycle bin).  And the user can always restore the backups
from the recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

(look for AutoSafe.zip)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:01:01 -0800, "Craig S" <Craig
S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

0
Gord

Shared excel file dissapears
We use a shared excel 2000 xls file shared on a w2k server as a production log. we now have about 30 users with about 12 users constantly editing. As we add more users the dissapearances seem to mount up. we are at about 2 a day now. I was wondering what the max amount vs the recommended amount of simultaneous users are. Are there any known issues which would cause excel to mysteriously vanish?? thanks cr -- http://QLiner.com It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. - Winston Churchill ...

2007 Excel Workbook multiple worksheets I want 1 chart
I have Blood Pressure Monitoring series. where A = Day of Week Month Year as Wednesday Apr 1-09-9:30am this is a text value not a date as Excel always fouls up the time. Days of the month are 1 - 31 or 1 - 30 or 1-28/29 B= Diastolic Pressure as Number no decimal places C= Systolic Pressure as Number no decimal places D= Pulse rate as number no decimal places I can create a chart for each month. With each month or single for each month on separate sheet. Each month is formated and arranged the same. How do I set the chart data range for all months or any multiple of months 14, 2, 3 o...

Copy Excel email addresses to GroupWise
I have an Excel worksheet that has a column that contains email addresses. I would like to copy some of the email addresses into GroupWise. When I select certain email addresses and copy and paste them into GroupWise. For some reason I get the email addresses in between the emails that I have selected. Examples: sbradfor@salliemae.com bbarrett@salliemae.com sblackbu@salliemae.com dwalker@salliemae.com mbrown@salliemae.com If I selected sbradfor@salliemae.com, sblackbu@salliemae.com, and mbrown@salliemae.com and pasted into GroupWise, I would receive all of the addressesin the TO: f...

Office & reinstall of XP OS
Fist post did not appear? Acer Notebook - WINXP SP3 This computer came with WIN XP PRO with preinstalled MS Office Small Business 2007 with a trial of Office Pro 2007. I intend to flatten this computer and reinstall the OS. This will be done via Drive D:\ I have not looked into the drive yet, and was wondering if Office will get installed along with Windows, as the fresh install should be as factory installed. I have the Prod Key Card. I am currently collating all help issues re the fresh install, but I am a bit concerned if Office will install or not. I intend to do a back-up...

Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB981715)
This update gets error code 646. What must I delete to STOP it from attempting to update? What must be changed to eliminate error code 646? -- Full-Time RVer "RVer" wrote: > This update gets error code 646. > What must I delete to STOP it from attempting to update? > What must be changed to eliminate error code 646? > -- > Full-Time RVer I got the same error. I'm using a new fresh copy of Windows 7. I did a manual download and it seems there is a license agreement but I wasn't given the opertunity to accept it during the automatic...

Office Professional 2003 Updates Keep Failing
I've got a very annoying and frustrating problem. Every time I switch on my PC, the "Updates are Ready for Your Computer" icon appears in my system tray. When I click to install the updates, the installation starts. The problem is, during the installation of the first update, a message appears, saying: -"Microsoft Office Professional 2003 The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'PRO11.MSI' in the box below."- ...

axis font excel chart?
how can I change the font of the scale in an excel chart? Right-click on the relevant axis. Format Axis/ Font/ Size: -- David Biddulph "ColinB" <ColinB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B1096F8-87B3-4642-BCC8-0EEE11FE0DED@microsoft.com... > how can I change the font of the scale in an excel chart? ...

Interactions - Export to Excel
Folks: Need your help ! I am trying to pull an acitivty report in CRM. If I go to the Interactions page, and then click on “edit View” icon over on the right hand side, and complete the drop downs, if I export to Excel, I get an error message that reads: Argument ‘Index’ is not a valid value. I get this error only for Interactions and not with any other workplace. We are on CRM 3.0 .- SQL Server 2005 Thanks ! ...

Including Images in Excel Report Builder
We have a client that is attaching jpgs to the item maintenance window in GP and they want an Excel Report Builder report of each inventory item along with its image. It seems that the file name is stored in hex format. Is it possible to include a reference to the image location in an Excel Report Builder report, so the report can include the image inside of Excel? Thanks ...

Open Excel workbook maximized from Access
I found the code Application.FollowHyperlink in the newsgroups, which works well to open the workbook from a button on an Access form. But I want the worksheet to open maximized, rather than "floating" in the Excel window. What can I add to my code to do this? It reads: Application.FollowHyperlink "path/nameof workbook.xls" Or do I need to do this another way? Can I do something in the workbook? (Not too familiar with Excel.) Thanks for your help. -- susan ...

Out of Office Assistant not working #2
AD 2003 with Exchange 2003. Seems to be effecting many different users internally and externally. Anyone come across this before? we need more details to help, but did you try http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262352 or http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297281 -- Nawar Aljanabi MCSE NT/2000/2003,MCSA 2003 +M,CCNA "Monkey" wrote: > AD 2003 with Exchange 2003. > Seems to be effecting many different users internally and externally. > Anyone come across this before? > Thanks but tried those Second link is for Exchange 5.5 "Nawar75&qu...

Windows XP rdp 2008
Boa Tarde, Estou com problemas a imprimir em RDP 2008. Em alguns pc's o c�digo de barras aparece impresso com fontes tipo wingdigs, em outros d� erro de WPF no m�dulo de .net framework 2.0. Estas mesmas impress�es se forem tamb�m feitas em 2003 j� saem bem . J� aconteceu a algu�m ? Alguma sugest�o? O mais estranho ainda � que se as impress�es forem mandadas para impressoras instaladas localmente (no servidor) em vez das impressoras capturas pelo rdp este problema n�o aparece. CUmprimentos, Paulo Valentim ...

Where has the data map tool gone to in Excel 2003?
Cannot find it in 2003. Was there in earlier versions of Excel. It's gone as of Exel 2002. Here is MS's statement and a link to another program for map making. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010346591033.aspx tj "macray" wrote: > Cannot find it in 2003. Was there in earlier versions of Excel. If it still resides on the hard drive, you can use it from later Excel versions, through the Insert Object dialog. But I think uninstallation is pretty good at wiping it out. In my case, I have multiple versions of Excel installed on one machine, so Excel 2003...

Template for scheduleing office supply purchases
I am looking for a template for scheduling office supply purchases for a small business. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I didn't look, but there are tons of free templates at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx And you could search google, too. Precast wrote: > > I am looking for a template for scheduling office supply purchases for a > small business. Any suggestions will be appreciated. -- Dave Peterson ...

Stop excel from reporting replacements
How do I get excel from popping up the window that tells how many entries its replaced when I do a Ctrl-H. I have to edit a lot of entries and this is something I didn't have to put up with in Office 97 I'm not sure you can stop it (I couldn't). But if your fingers are on the keyboard, hit the enter key to dismiss it. (Or try hitting the enter key twice really quickly (with replace all having focus). It might not be noticeable (much). Chris wrote: > > How do I get excel from popping up the window that tells how many entries its > replaced when I do a Ctrl-H. I ha...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...

Check box to click on in excel or word
I am needing to add a shadow outlined box that you can click on in a document in either word or excel. I did it in the old excel but I'm having difficulty in the new Microsoft Office. The old and the new Office?...which versions would that be...nevermind...actually you should ask this in an Excel newsgroup this one is for Publisher (a desktop publishing program). -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "ThePools" <ThePools@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24A86070-537B-404A-A39B-CFC06CAECBA0@microsoft.c...

Pasting in Excel has started taking a long time.
Copying or cutting then pasting on same or another sheet a range of cells in Excel has started to take ages. Nothing complicated just data. Does this happen with a new workbook or only specific workbooks? try opening a new workbook and perform a copy and paste with a samll amount of data. Yo umnay have a problem with the memory associated with the clipboard or your temporary drive on your PC. does the problem happen with other applications besides excel? -- joel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ joel's Profile: http://www.thecode...

when starting excel, .doc & .dat file come up ?????
When I got my new computer at work XP Pro operating, w/2003 Office pro, every time I open Excel, about 12 .doc & .dat file pop up saying not excel format files, and I have to say close to everyone. Then, if automatically defaults to opening an excel file that is someone elses. I have tried running a repair, uninstalling and reinstalling, and nothing works. Never, have I had anything like this happen in my fifteen years. Any suggestions????? HELP it really slows me down. -- thankssomuch The first place I'd check is: Tools|Options|General Tab Make sure that the "at star...

Excel Incorrectly Plotting Non-sequential Data Points
I am plotting a chart in Excel 2003 using non-sequential data points as shown below. Time Value 0 0.07 2 0.09 4 0.14 6 0.10 9 0.08 10 0.09 Excel, however, plots them in order as if they were: Time Value 1 0.07 2 0.09 3 0.14 4 0.10 5 0.08 6 0.09 When I look at the Source Data, it highlights the right data, but just seems to plot it incorrectly. Could this be a formatting error? Any help is VERY appreciated. Aaron, Select both columns (not j...

in creating a pie chart in excel 2007
How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot I once tried 360 cells and got a wonderful Moiré pattern Why not just experiment with 1, 2, 3 dozen and see for yourself if the result is acceptable ? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "bsalohcin" <bsalohcin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9CF7752-1816-4DCE-BF82-9C25033AE888@microsoft.com... > How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot According to MS:- Data series in one chart 255 (max limit) Data points in a...

Office X
I'm currently a student, so I want to take advantage by buying the student version of office. But...am I correct in fearing that this version will be restricted from upgrading to future versions? I just don't want to get screwed by Microsoft and I haven't found any documentation on line that indicates any difference whatsoever between the standard and student versions aside from pricing and packaging. But something tells me that I should play it safe and go with the standard version for the sake of the future. What do you think? - Nolan In article <65970378.0310111127.62470f44...

SBS 2003, XP vs. Win7, and Roaming Profiles
I have a client with SBS 2003 to which I am introducing Windows 7 clients on a gradual basis, to mix with their existing XP client base. The client's staff operate a hot-desking policy that is supported by roaming profiles, and I made it abundantly clear to management, in advance of this, about the importance of users sticking to either XP or Win7 workstations. Of course, while the cat's away the mice will play... ....with management away and a Win7 client user on vacation today, one (XP) user decided to make use of a Win7 workstation. Now, I can deal with the issue and will ...

Windows XP Shared PC
We are using Outlook 2000. The PC, which already had Microsoft Office 2000 loaded on it, was upgraded from Win 98 to Win XP. I then created Windows XP logons for all four people that will be sharing this PC. When I did, the Outlook shortcut automatically ended up on the desktop of each person when they individually logged in. When I clicked the shortcut the first time I went in to each person's desktop, I setup the mail account for JUST THAT PERSON. And when I go back and log into each person's desktop it still shows ONLY THEIR ACCOUNT. However, whatever mail they receive ALS...