how do I subtract several cells from one total

If A1 is 3500 and cells A2 is 500 and A3 is 100 A4 100 A5 is 100 then how do
I substract A2 thu A5 from A1 without doing each one seperately
0
highway (1)

Hi

in A6 type
=A1-Sum(A2:A5)

Cheers
JulieD

"highway" <highway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If A1 is 3500 and cells A2 is 500 and A3 is 100 A4 100 A5 is 100 then how
> do
> I substract A2 thu A5 from A1 without doing each one seperately

0
JulieD1 (2295)
11/5/2004 4:18:34 PM
=A1-(A2:A5)

should do it

--
Alex Delamain
Alex Delamain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11273

VBA to move from one cell to another cell
Hi, Certain cells in a sheet needs to be filled with data. These cells are in successive rows from 10 to 49 Data is filled in cell C10 then F10 after that cell C11 then F11 C12 and F12 until I reach C49 and F49 It is annoying to use the TAB key or the mouse to move to the next cell. Is there a way to move to the next required cell just by pressing enter after filling in the data. i.e. data entered n cell C10 (press enter) go to cell F10, type the data and press enter to go to C11,then F11 ..... One method Unlock columns C and F. Protect the worksheet and use T...

Automate a macros when data in a cell changes (e.g.when using quer
Is there any way that a macro can be activated when the data of a specific cell changes? I assigned a macro to a "check box" button from the Tool Bar "Forms", and used the "cell link" from the "check box" properties, so when the data changes in the cell linked the "check box" is marked and the macro will start. So far, the "check box" gets marked when data changes but the macro doesn't start. The only way the macro starts is when I click in the "check box". Maybe you could use a worksheet event that will fire ...

Want to copy a cell down until it comes to the next nonblank cell, and then take this next nonblank cell until it comes to the next nonblank cell, and so on...
First time post-er, please be patient! I've got an excel spreadsheet which I'm trying to put into a format that's easy to filter. Before I can do that, I've got to clean up the data in one column - I'm bound by how the data dumps from another tool. There are several rows that basically relate to one grouping of information and so in this one column I have a project name (as part of a long string of text defining additional aspects of this project) and then for several rows below that, same column, I have names of people working on this particular project. (The name of th...

text gets cut in cells
when trying enter text in a cell (say the size of a letter for example) the text gets cut; only the cut version is printable, although the formula bar displays the whole text. How can I get all the text displayed in the cell (AND printed)? Cells can only print about 1024 characters, even tho they can contain about 32000 characters. In order to print/see more, use a text box. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "D B Kaufmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c34401c47a31$9a865ea0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > when trying enter text in a cell (say the size of a >...

How do you go from one excell screen to another.
Use to be, before I got upgraded here at GM, that when I was working on one excel screen, and wanted to select a previous one that I was working on all that I had to do was go to my selection bar at the bottom of my screen, and select another excel screen. I could have as many open as I wanted. .... Now that I have been upgraded, when I go from one to another, the first one disappears. It does not show up at the bottom of the screen. I have to downsize the screen that I'm on and if I'm lucky, I'll find a little tiny box that allows me to 'restore' the other screen....

Arrangement of text in a cell
I have text in a cell of my spread sheet. It has last name then first name. Is there a way to re-arrange this so the first name appears first?? Brett -- brettg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ brettg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33879 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=536583 If they are separated by a space: =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))&" "&LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "brettg" <brettg.2...

IN Publisher I only want to print one label not all 6
I am using Publisher 2002 and Form 8254 6 to a page. I only want to print one mailing label not 6. What steps do I take? Thank you, You will have to setup the labels manually. Look here to see if yours is listed, if not post back. http://publishermvps.com/ -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D25CA06F-0F6A-4743-99D3-38B688BB842B@microsoft.com... >I am using Publisher 2002 and Form 8254 6 to a page. I only want to print > one mailing lab...

Virtual smtp domains on one IP address
Can I host several domains email on one exchange server with one IP address only? Yes, but you cannot have more than one SMTP Virtual Server using the same IP and Port Number combination. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Exchange MVP www.exchangetrainer.com www.msexchange.org "fredd" <cxdsew32@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4A1E3E7D-9513-4AD2-B082-688EDE4C28FD@microsoft.com... > Can I host several domains email on one exchange server with one IP > address only? We want to host OWA only email for several domains. If the port is changed will we still receive email fr...

use one microsoft office for two home computers?
This is a stupid question, perhaps, but I've got Office X on my home/business imac. I just bought a new ibook. Do I need to also purchase a second copy of Office (or at least Word) for this new computer, or am I licensed to use my current Office on the ibook? Is there some way to buy a second license without shelling out an additional $200 for a whole new set of Office on CD? In article <ae4effbb.0404061657.6f1db654@posting.google.com>, c.shea5@verizon.net (CShea) wrote: > This is a stupid question, perhaps, but I've got Office X on my > home/business imac. I just bough...

Can I make ONE page for Email/Calendar/Task etc?
I like to adapt my screen sothat I have ONE view of Incoming Email/Calendar/Task in small squares?? William Petrovlis <petrovlis@hetnet.nl> wrote: > I like to adapt my screen sothat I have ONE view of > Incoming Email/Calendar/Task in small squares?? I don't think that's possible. -- Brian Tillman Have you tried the Outlook Today view? If it's not in your "shortcuts" list, go to View - Go To - Outlook Today. It might be close... Brian "Petrovlis" <petrovlis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:40c4404f$0$827$fb624cd1@morenews.zeeland...

VBA Help:Change Color of Cells
Dear All, How to change the color of cells? I'm confused whether to use range object or cells object. Pls give me example. Thanks Robert Lie Hi Robert, The Cells property returns a range object, so you could, for example, use either of the following equivalent instructions: Range("A1:A10").Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Cells(1, 1).Resize(10).Interior.ColorIndex = 6 --- Regards, Norman "Robert Lie" <robert.lie24@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23vv10TVIGHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear All, > > How to change the color of cel...

countif, but only using partial cell contents in the reference array #4
while it doesn't apear to be exact, i extracted the part that was givin the error in Excel, and the cell references have been updated in it t reflect the actual, not the simple i started with... but much thanks, jare -- jared ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jaredh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1553 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27105 To workaround the #VALUE! errors if there are cells within the source range A1:A100 which may not contain any "{", thi...

how do I attach a jpeg to a cell
I am trying to have a button or link in a cell that when clicked will open up a jpeg that is also attached to (part of) the excel file. On 5/17/2010 11:14 AM, Mark wrote: > I am trying to have a button or link in a cell that when clicked will open up > a jpeg that is also attached to (part of) the excel file. How about a hyperlink to a jpg that ISN'T attached to the Excel file? That's easy... Bill ...

2007 Excel Protecting a cell
I found help on this for 2003, but does not work the same for 2007. I want to protect a format in a cell but still allow data entry. How can I do this? -- Linda K Unlock the cells. When you protect the sheet do not allow "Format Cells" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:58:02 -0800, LindaAlex <Lindak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I found help on this for 2003, but does not work the same for 2007. I want >to protect a format in a cell but still allow data entry. How can I do this? That was a easy fix!! Thanks -- Linda K...

Formulas within Cell References #2
I tried to do that but it will not work in the actual cell reference I'm stumped. humejap Wrote: > Have you tried the formula > > =Concatenate("$J$",H1) > > > -- > humejap > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > humejap's Profile > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5506 > View this thread > http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39509 -- jhockstr I missed the original question, but whilst =Concatenate("$J$",H1) will join to give $J$ joined to t...

Copying cells downward on sheet
Is there a way to copy rows and colums down and keep the row height and width the same? no, you can paste column widths but no row heights. you can paste just about anything else but not row heights. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to copy rows and colums down and keep the row height and width >the same? >. > If you want to retain the destination row / column size, select Paste Special | Values from the Edit menu. -- Rob van Gelder - http://www.vangelder.co.nz/excel "danlinksman" <danlinksman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

conditional formatting of cells based on result in hidden cell
I have a column (Z) that reflects status for each record (rows). I want to have conditional formatting based on the content in column AA (which is hidden - but has the calculations). I have four options that I need to be able to develop a corresponding color for for the cells in Z. My understanding of other code examples that have been posted using Target is that they don't apply to looking at one cell and formatting a different cell. TIA, Papa J Depends on how the code is written: If Target.Column = "A" Then If Target.Value = 1 Then Range(&...

Count of text in cells
I have problem to solve,I have a column with office. The text in the Office cells with be, Office 1@810@NT but I now have a new columm with text in the following format:Test The Cell - Employment cells can contain mutiple values, Test The Cell - Education;Test The Cell - Employment;Test The Cell - Health . These values are separated by a ; NOt only do I need to count each occurance, but I then need to have a count of each one. I can have these values referred to in a cell if that makes it easier. Sorry if I have not been clear Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Ch...

How to remove validation on entering
When i select a cell in Excel Sheet and enter - (dash/minus) sign.After clicking on sheet it will convert the previous cell into a formula (since it takes - as formula for any format selected), indicating cells index. How i validate a cell not to perform the above feature. On pressing tab or enter key will solve the probs for text format but how i validate it for the same i.e. on what event? :confused: -- shiprasharma ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shiprasharma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27651 Vie...

Error 20488 on only one client
When posting PO we are receiving the following error: The stored procedure glpBatchCleanup returned the following results: DBMS: 0, Great Plains: 20488 I found KB 896545 in the Knowledge Base of Customer Source but in reading the KB I would have to believe that all clients would be having the same problem because the KB states that the problem occurs if the SY00500 Posting Definitions Master table is damaged. Does anyone have an idea as to what would cause this problem on one client and how to fix it? Thanks in advance. JTT Hello JTT, I have seen this specific error on 8.0 after a ...

Click on graph bar to execute a double-click in a pivot table cell
Excel 2002. I have a group of 6 different stacked bar charts built from parts of a pivot table. Each graph has several bars with each bar having sections for categories "10", "20", "30", "40", and "50". The graphs can be direct linked to the pivot table (as a pivot chart) or linked to an intermediate sheet looksup the data from the pivot table. I want to be able to click (double or single click) on a graph bar or section of a bar and execute the same action (.ShowDetail) that occurs when you double-click on a cell in the pivot table (print th...

combine two records into one record in an Excel database
I have a mailing list in Excel, where each person is a seperate record. I have a code for each seperate household (MAIL_ID). I would like to produce a new file/worksheet which just has each household record, for mailing. For example, I have: Last First MailId Street1 Street2 City Zip Smith John 1 123 Main St Anytown 00000 Smith Mary 1 123 Main St Anytown 00000 Since I have the same mail code for both, I only want one new row so I only sen...

combing several fields into one
I've been looking for an answer to this for a while now, and cannot find anything. Was wondering if someone here had any ideas? I would like VBA code for generating a text string made of multiple combo box selections. This would probably have to happen on FieldX GotFocus If FieldA=ceramic, then FieldX=FieldB FieldD FieldE If FieldA=glass, then FieldX=FieldC FieldE FieldF I have this as multiple queries in a macro, and it works but it's very slow. I've seen it done in VBA and it is much much faster. Any ideas? Private Sub FieldX_GotFocus() Select Case Me.FieldA Case &q...

Mixed Column Types in One Chart
Looking for a way to mix column types in a single chart. Basically I want three clustered columns each month, BUT: first column is based on a single value, second column is based on a single value, third column is a stack of two values. Something like this (not sure this'll display right when posted, but worth a try, a picture's worth 10,000 words): d d d d a d b d a d a d c a b c a b c a ...

Can you use a hanging indent in an Excel cell?
I am trying to create a list in Excel but some descriptions are lengthly. It would be easier to distinguish between each item if, as a description wraps in the cell, a hangin indent was in place. Hi DBTI Hanging indents no, indents yes To create a hanging indent look alike, type five spaces before your text. "DBTI" wrote: > I am trying to create a list in Excel but some descriptions are lengthly. It > would be easier to distinguish between each item if, as a description wraps > in the cell, a hangin indent was in place. ...