How do I strip out some parts of a column of text data?

I have a column of text data, which happens to be 11 characters wide.  I want
to strip the right-most 6 characters out of the entire column, without having
to do each cell one at a time.  For example I want to to from this data: 2039
041175 to this data: 2039 for all 350 or so rows of data in the column on the
Excel sheet.

Use a helper column of formulas

=right(a1,6)
will return the value as text

=--right(a1,6)
will return the value as numeric

Just copy that down the helper column.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"footballcmr2" wrote:

> I have a column of text data, which happens to be 11 characters wide.  I want
> to strip the right-most 6 characters out of the entire column, without having
> to do each cell one at a time.  For example I want to to from this data: 2039
> 041175 to this data: 2039 for all 350 or so rows of data in the column on the
> Excel sheet.
0
SVC (60)
7/1/2005 5:53:04 PM
Oops.  I thought you wanted to keep the rightmost 6 characters.

Sorry.

--

Dave Peterson
0

update column

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

Customer check data

Macro to seperate data

Need HELP! for Linking data

parameter for text

Macro

macros entering data

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

find data and autopaste when found

Disappearing data in sync'd forms

Column searching problem
I have a worksheet called "net" containing the following: NETWORK AVG MIN MAX STD SAMPLES ABC 17.17 16.26 17.71 0.4469 19 CBS 12.99 11.69 14.56 0.6524 30 NBC 15.39 14.08 16.70 0.7323 38 NBC* 15.12 14.08 15.99 0.4910 31 Fox 10.63 9.07 12.09 0.9374 8 HBO 10.94 9.07 13.22 1.2507 19 Showtime 11.52 6.84 13.23 1.9017 11 HDNet 18.14 14.22 18.85 1.1619 14 HDNet* 18.45 18.13 18.85 0.2847 13 HDNet-Movies 1...