How do I stop Excel auto formatting the text 3-4 as 04 Apr?

I run a web query that imports soccer results to Excel. Unfortunately the web
site formats the result as 3-1 for example. This text is automatically
converted to 03 Jan by Excel. I can't seem to stop this happening, even if I
explicitly set the cell format to text. Doing so just converts the contents,
which were a date, to the internal date number and if I re load the data it
reverts to 03 Jan again. Does anyone know how I might get excel to leave the
format of the cells alone?

thanks ahughf
0
ahughf (2)

There is no turn off for this, you can either preformat the cells as text or
precede the entry with an apostrophe '

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"ahughf" <ahughf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I run a web query that imports soccer results to Excel. Unfortunately the
>web
> site formats the result as 3-1 for example. This text is automatically
> converted to 03 Jan by Excel. I can't seem to stop this happening, even if
> explicitly set the cell format to text. Doing so just converts the
> contents,
> which were a date, to the internal date number and if I re load the data
> it
> reverts to 03 Jan again. Does anyone know how I might get excel to leave
> the
> format of the cells alone?
>
> thanks ahughf

0
terre081 (3244)
9/10/2005 6:21:09 PM
Unfortunately I cant alter the data on the way in as it comes from a web
query from a site I have no control over. Also preformatting the destinations
cells as text makes no difference, good old excel knows better and just turns
them back to date as the data comes in.

thanks anyway, it has forced me to brush up my VBA skills as I couldn't
stand seeing Manchester united beeting west brom by the 3rd of January any
longer!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> There is no turn off for this, you can either preformat the cells as text or
> precede the entry with an apostrophe '
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> (No private emails please)
>

> "ahughf" <ahughf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I run a web query that imports soccer results to Excel. Unfortunately the
> >web
> > site formats the result as 3-1 for example. This text is automatically
> > converted to 03 Jan by Excel. I can't seem to stop this happening, even if
> > explicitly set the cell format to text. Doing so just converts the
> > contents,
> > which were a date, to the internal date number and if I re load the data
> > it
> > reverts to 03 Jan again. Does anyone know how I might get excel to leave
> > the
> > format of the cells alone?
> >
> > thanks ahughf

0
ahughf (2)
10/16/2005 7:52:02 AM
Does this indicate that you are inputting as a .csv (etc) file?

If so, rename the file to .txt, and in the input process use Separated
by = Comma (etc) and highlight the selected column in the Column Data
Format screen (thhird in the wizard) and tick this to be TEXT.

This will maintain the format as 3-2 and not connvert it to 2nd March

(note, I am unfamiliar with 'web query input')

--
Bryan Hessey
Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059

Transform table into calendar format
I have a table with dates (column A) and events (column B). I wanted to know how I automatically create a calendar template with the events I have on this separate sheet. Send me an email to: pashurst <at> auditel.net (change the obvious), and I'll send you a file that does just what you describe. Hope this helps. Pete On Nov 18, 9:55=A0pm, Matheus <Math...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a table with dates (column A) and events (column B). I wanted to k= now > how I automatically create a calendar template with the events I have on = ...

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

pop3 #3
My outlook express hasnt been working since I got my new Dell computer. It says that the "POP3" isnt connected so i cant receive or send e-mail!!! HELP!! How do i fix this problem? I've tried calling Dell and Microsoft and have waited hours on the phone and have not gotten any assistance! Who is your ISP/mail host? Seems like you might want to contact them for support. I presume you can get to the Internet just fine.... rose wrote: > My outlook express hasnt been working since I got my new > Dell computer. It says that the "POP3" isnt connected so > i ca...

applying auto archiving
Hello evryone. I am not a sys admin or a programmer. My company is short on cash. So I am trying my best for the past 2 weeks to find a solution for auto archiving for all 200 mailbox users that we have. I have implemented a GPO to apply settings for auto archiving but the problem we have is that the archive.pst is still locall. I have researched online and foung that CDO can help view the hidden "IPC.MS.Outlook.AgingProperties" and alter it and this CDO can loop nd perform the same task for all folders within a user’s mailbox. I would like some help with this please. I know t...

SMTP Connectors #4
Hi, I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20 for connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to FrontEnd1, outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1 cost is 10; MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20) Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd2 The problem: If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on FrontEnd2 it correctly crea...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Need help with Auto Filter

data input in text box

formula based on format