How do I stop e-mail address from turning into link in Excel?

In Excel, when you type an e-mail address into a cell, it turns into a link.
How do I correct it so that when I enter the e-mail address, it doesn't turn
blue and become a link?  The only two methods I've discovered by
experimentation are to put an apostrophe at the beginning of the address, or
to type the address, hit enter, and then immediately click "undo" before
typing the next e-mail address.  Both these methods are cumbersome.  Is there
a way to highlight an entire column of e-mail addresses that have already
been entered, and change them so that they are no longer a link?  Thank you!
Sherrie Holmes
0
Wowie (1)

Hi Wowie

In 2002/2003 you can turn it of

Tools > Options > Spelling
Press "AutoCorrect Options" Button
AutoFormat As You Type Tab
Remove Check from "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks"
OK
OK

If you have fill in a address and Enter to confirm you
can use Ctrl-Z to make it text.

Or start with a '

You can run this macro also to make text of all hyperlinks
in your worksheet

Sub test()
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Delete
End Sub

Alt-F11
Insert>Module from the menubar
paste the sub in there
Alt-Q to go back to Excel

If you do Alt-F8 you get a list of your macro's
Select "test" and press Run

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Wowie" <Wowie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7A54F67-2E50-468B-97A1-780B7414E862@microsoft.com...
> In Excel, when you type an e-mail address into a cell, it turns into a link.
> How do I correct it so that when I enter the e-mail address, it doesn't turn
> blue and become a link?  The only two methods I've discovered by
> experimentation are to put an apostrophe at the beginning of the address, or
> to type the address, hit enter, and then immediately click "undo" before
> typing the next e-mail address.  Both these methods are cumbersome.  Is there
> a way to highlight an entire column of e-mail addresses that have already
> been entered, and change them so that they are no longer a link?  Thank you!
> Sherrie Holmes

0
rondebruin (3790)
5/4/2005 5:54:47 PM
To prevent the auto-creation of the Links, you can go to
Tools>AutoCorrectOptions>AutoFormat as You Type and uncheck the checkbox
Replace as you type: Internet and network paths with hyperlinks.

The simplest way I can think of to remove the hyperlinks off of a long list
after they are created, would be to copy the range of cells, go to a blank
part of the sheet and Edit>Paste Special>Values (you can leave the other
settings at their default).  You can then immediately do a cut and regular
paste back to the original range of cells

"Wowie" wrote:

> In Excel, when you type an e-mail address into a cell, it turns into a link.
> How do I correct it so that when I enter the e-mail address, it doesn't turn
> blue and become a link?  The only two methods I've discovered by
> experimentation are to put an apostrophe at the beginning of the address, or
> to type the address, hit enter, and then immediately click "undo" before
> typing the next e-mail address.  Both these methods are cumbersome.  Is there
> a way to highlight an entire column of e-mail addresses that have already
> been entered, and change them so that they are no longer a link?  Thank you!
> Sherrie Holmes
0
MWDixon (1)
5/4/2005 6:10:06 PM
Even simpler in my estimation.

Copy an empty cell.

Select the hyperlink cells and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 4 May 2005 11:10:06 -0700, "MWDixon"
<MWDixon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The simplest way I can think of to remove the hyperlinks off of a long list
>after they are created, would be to copy the range of cells, go to a blank
>part of the sheet and Edit>Paste Special>Values (you can leave the other
>settings at their default).  You can then immediately do a cut and regular
>paste back to the original range of cells

0
Gord