How do I sort contacts in Excel?

How can I sort contacts in Excel?  They will not sort because they say I have
to "unmerge the cells" or "all cells are not the same size".  It used to work
fine.  Thank you....scott
0
scott7693 (519)

....go ahead and unmerge.  Select all the columns where the data is, right
click, go to the alignment tab, uncheck the merge box.

"Scott" wrote:

> How can I sort contacts in Excel?  They will not sort because they say I have
> to "unmerge the cells" or "all cells are not the same size".  It used to work
> fine.  Thank you....scott
0
JR1 (208)
6/9/2005 5:36:01 PM
You'll need to unmerge the merged cells before you can sort.   I'm guessing
you copied something into the worksheet that merged the cells.   Look at some
of the last entries to see if you can find them and unmerge them.

"Scott" wrote:

> How can I sort contacts in Excel?  They will not sort because they say I have
> to "unmerge the cells" or "all cells are not the same size".  It used to work
> fine.  Thank you....scott
0
BarbR (262)
6/9/2005 5:37:03 PM
Thank you very much JR.  This worked perfectly.  Scott.....

"JR" wrote:

> ...go ahead and unmerge.  Select all the columns where the data is, right
> click, go to the alignment tab, uncheck the merge box.
>
> "Scott" wrote:
>
> > How can I sort contacts in Excel?  They will not sort because they say I have
> > to "unmerge the cells" or "all cells are not the same size".  It used to work
> > fine.  Thank you....scott
0
scott7693 (519)

How do I convert cab file to open an Family Budget Excel Template?
The file dowloads as a .cab file. When I try and open it, it's not in a recognized format. How can I download the correct format. Hardly an excel question From where do you download an excel template as a cab file? Try winzip, I believe they have an option to open some cab files Regards, Peo Sjoblom "sweetner32" wrote: > The file dowloads as a .cab file. When I try and open it, it's not in a > recognized > format. How can I download the correct format. ...

Business Contact Manager History Problem
When I open a Contact in Business Contact Manager it pulls in my email inbox instead of the contact's history. Is there a fix available for this problem? BCM sometimes has what's known as a "forms cache" problem. Clearing the cache usually fixes it. Choose Tools | Options | Other | Advanced Options | Custom Forms, then click Manage Forms, then Clear Cache. If simply clearing the cache doesn't fix the issue, try the other steps detailed at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836558 The bulk of the forms cache issues in Outlook 2003 are fixed in...

Abnormal increasing if excel file.
Hello, I'll describe the situation. I have WinXp with MS Office2002 SP1. I noticed that sometimes my some excel files have a tend to encrease abnormally, although there are not many lines in them, and the size shouldn't be so big. Could you pls advise anything concerning that? Of course, I checked for virus - nothing. And no pictures, or datagrams in it, just figures. Thanks in advance, Marina Ivashina. "Marina Ivashina" <marina_ivashina@hines.com> wrote in message news:941001c3eaee$5f26f310$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hello...

Shared Excel Workbooks Show different layouts between users
Hello, We are user Excel 2007 on windows 7 computers, and sharing files between users on a NAS. The problem is that when the original user creats a workbook, it looks and prints fine from their computer. When the print room, or anyone else tries to print or preview it, it is completely different, and the printing is off from the original. We have tried everything and are at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- Michael C Is everyone running the same printer driver? (for the same OS?) Is everyone running the same version of the printer driver? You may want to ...

Sorting data #6
How do I format a column to automatically sort data alphabetically when new data is added to the column? Hi SB, > How do I format a column to automatically sort data alphabetically when > new > data is added to the column? It is certainly possible to write an event procedure to do this but I would advise you not to! What happens if you (or your users) are, like me, prone to the occasional typing slip ? How would you conveniently or speedily find your (now neatly sorted) incorrect data? Set such problems against the minimal inconvenience of using the built-in toolbar/menu s...

macro to sort data in worksheet by specific date
We are getting timesheet information from a bar code system that goes into access and from there we download to excel so we can data sort.(not an access user). one of the sorts we do is to get the most current day and sort by employee to see if they charged time that day for all the time they were at work. We have numerous columns for: start time start date stop time stop date job no /quantity worked on etc. etc. would like to have a macro that would automatically sort in excel the most recent day with all data in the row and hide previous days info. our spreadsheet is getting really la...

How do I open up an emailed .xls document without Excel?
I don't think I have Excel on my computer. I just know I want to open an ..xls file I was sent. I do have Microsoft Works. If a copy of Excel is required to open any .xls document, is it available for download online? Or must I go purchase a copy of it? Or is there another alternative? The cheaper the better. Thanks, Hi Edward Use the free Viewer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&displaylang=EN -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Edward" <Edward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Is there a way to force out other editors when Excel 2003 is in automation mode?
Hi all, I am using Windows scheduler to automate Excel tasks, every morning 4am... Basically, my current implementation is: 1. Auto-open Excel sheet; 2. Run some macro, download some data; 3. Auto-save and close. However, the automation fails when some other people including myself are editing the Excel sheets ... Is there a way to force out other editors when opening the sheet in automation mode? Thanks a lot! I don't think so. Maybe you can check to see if your procedure opened the file successfully in read/write mode and continue -- or use application.ontime...

How to group contacts
Hi, I am trying to create groups for contacts in CRM 1.2. I am assuming that I must use the territorycode(int) field, but am not really certain how to do this. I know there is way to group accounts with the sales territory option, but we really need to group the contacts. Thanks in advance, Lance Is it just on level grouping? It can be a simple as adding a custom field to the contact entity and set it to the same group field. In fact, any field can be use to group contacts depending on how you search for it via Advanced Find. Good luck. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP Workopia, Inc. ...

Entewring long numbers into Excel
I am very new to Excel. When I enter a long number into a cell I get a formula I do not understand. Even if I widen the column, the formula stays. and the number reappears only when I double-click on the cell, but then reverts to the formula when I click off it. How do I get the number to display all the time? Thanks. Limit is 15 so you must precede with ' or format as text first -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Misha" <Misha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6BD22CB-61E1-46A9-BAEA-F91C55C51639@microsoft.com... > I am very new to ...

BROWSE AN IMAGE from hardisk an past to excel
my .xls must be simply a foto and a button "browse". I want that i can browse a photo from hardisk and, when i selected, it appear on document. Can you help me? thx Try this Disperso MyPath = "C:\" Change this to your path Sub test() Dim FName As Variant Dim wb As Workbook Dim MyPath As String Dim SaveDriveDir As String SaveDriveDir = CurDir MyPath = "C:\" ChDrive MyPath ChDir MyPath FName = Application.GetOpenFilename(filefilter:= _ "Pictures(*.jpg;*.gif;*.bmp...

Adding gifs to excel
Hello all excel mates Id like to know if its possible to add gifs to excel, when i add them as a image the gif is show with out motion. I do not want to save the file as html because then i can not search the whole document / sheets for a single word as when i search for a word on an excel file and not html i can select the search in work book from the advanced options. Please help. -- rmetanes ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rmetanes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28615 View this thread: http://www....

converting .rtf info to excel 2002
Thank you in advance for your help. I have an address label file in .rtf format. It has 3 X 10 labels on one page totally about 14,000 address labels. I wanted to convert it into MS Excel 2002 so i can get under one column the first name, the second column the last name, the thrid column the street address and so on. How do I do this in excel 2002? I tried using the Edit, Past Special, Paste as Text function but the data is not user friendly. By using this approach, I will have to use brute force in cutting and pasting names and addresses in the respective columns described above. N...

Question about Excel Graph
Hello- I am trying to do a graph of inventory levels by day. This is a simple line graph. However, there is a target inventory level of 20-30 each day. What I am trying to do is add some kind of color to the plot area only between the x-axis points of 20-30 so that the line graph can be shown both inside and outside of this target level. Thanks for any help you can have Have a look at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BackgroundFill.html -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink ...

Excel 2001 crashes on worksheet functions
If someone has ever faced a similar problem and can help me out.... I am using the Excel program from the Office 2001 for Mac. My Mac is a G4 450MHz Dual proccessor with 128Mb ram and 10Gb HD. The problem I have is that although the XL program operates smoothly without no problems whenever I wanna insert a function it crushes!!! and the display freezes! Sometimes I get a Bomb error 2 sometimes a 3!!! The most unusual however is that the program crashes on the 2nd insert of a function... To make myself clear: On a worksheet I select tools->Insert->Function(whatever function...) an...

Macro for Excel
Hi, i am a MS office excel user, i wanted a macro for a particular function. What it exactly needs to do is In a population of say 20, 10 items would total up to a particular number so the macro should identify those 10 numbers which would total up to that one particular number. IN other words i would like to know what items, sum of which would give me a specific total. It would take at least =COMBIN(20,10)*0.05/3600 hours to run the macro. Are you willing to wait that long? ...

Restore Contacts
Hi, We have Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 Enterprise. A user left our office about 3 weeks ago, her account was disabled. She has contacted us asking if we can send her Contacts to her in pst format. The mailbox is still on the server, I re-enabled the user account and have waited about 20 hours in case any behind the scenes updates need to be done. Also, when I right-click the mailbox, the Exchange tasks for "Reconnecting" is greyed out, so I assume it does not need to be reconnected to the user account. I use Outlook 2003 to try to "Open Other Users (contacts)" b...

advantages and disadvantages of VBE over excel macros
what r the advantages and disadvantages fo both macros in excel and VBE over each other The VBE is the Visual Basic Editor, which is an environment which allows one to write and edit Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) subroutines and functions. Macros in all modern XL versions are recorded/written in VBA. XL4 Macro language is still implemented, and in some cases can still do things that VBA can't, but it's no longer actively supported, and the number of people who use it is dwindling. In article <80835F0D-FEF2-4065-BE48-C4FAB1EFAD2F@microsoft.com>, "gbak3"...

Problem: the "color fill" in Excel is NOT showing up on the screen
SWhen I click the "color fill" button to highlight a cell in Exel the color is not showing up on the screen, however it shows up as colored in the Print Preview, or if I print. something has been turned off by someone else and I do not know how to reset it so that I can see the cells that I highlight. I have Windows XP. If the high contrast setting is turned on you won't see the fill colour. There's information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Colour and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 UC2Pyrs wrote:...

how to split one decimal pt integer off & to next columnin excel?
i need to work on just the decimal part of a number - so: how do i split it off - in format xx.0 - to put the "0" part into a cell in next column? Hi Select the range with numbers; From Data menu - Text to Columns (NB! You must have an empty column next to one with data!) Next Type period (.) into Other field Finish When you need to preserve original numbers, make a copy the column with them before. Or use formulas in 2 new columns - like =INT(A2) =MOD(A2,1)*N where N is max number of decimal places in your numbers. -- Arvi Laanemets ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tar...

Excel will not Open!
As of today i cannot open excel or word - i get the message C:\windows\profiles\vicki\application data\microsoft\internet explorer\quick lauch\microsoft word.lnk "The windows installer failed to install the program associated with this file. Please contact your system Admiminstrator." any idea what this means? ...

Adding a "draft" watermark in Excel 2000
Does anyone know how to add a "draft" watermark to each page of an Excel 2000 spreadsheet? You might use a WordArt object with "no fill"........it's not really the same as a Watermark, but it's close, and may work for you...... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03ce01c392ab$550304f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to add a "draft" watermark to each > page of an Excel 2000 spreadsheet? A Google search provided many responses. http://www.google.com/grou...

Multiple Contacts Folders: can I sync them so I can go back to use
I got the bright idea of making 2 more Contacts folders so that I could be better organized. I decided not to use the old Contacts folder and instead was putting changes in the two news one, which would be used for different purposes. The reason I came up with this is so that I could get around using categories (temporarily) because a lot of them disappeared for some unknown reason. Any, now the problem is that in order for me to set up Contacts to be tracked in the Journal, I have to use the Contacts folder I initially had (the default folder), and Windows Mobile (for my Motorola Q)...

Use other delimiter for a file in Excel
Hi, I need to use the "|" as a delimiter of a file created en Excel, bu when I tried to save it, only lets me save it like "separated wit tabs", "separated with comas", "separated with spaces", but doesn�t le me choose the separator I want, could you tell what to do? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Temporarily change the regional setting in the windows control panel from comma to | then save the file as csv -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "mcastillo >" <<mcastillo.12i9yf@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in messag...

Copypicture from Excel to PowerPoint
Hi, In a VBA routine a selected ranges in Excel (2003) is copied and paste in PowerPoint. The routine runs a loop with an number of entities. A number of rows and columns in the selected area are grouped on a lower level and only cells on level1 are visiblebefore CopyPicture.It works OK apart from one problem. The problems is that some of the columns, furthest to the right, are not included in the PowerPoint shape. It can vary a little some what which user runs the routine. Below extract from the code. Thanks in advance for any help. "Worksheets("Forecast Report"...