How do I set interval for automatic save? (not auto recovery)

0
Dee (106)

Dee,
From a previous post by Dave Peterson:

If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via
windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs

If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin
from an earlier version, it should work ok.

But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery.  It's not the same as
autosave,
but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows crashes.

As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
called AutoSafe (note spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves.  It saves to a
user
selectable folder.  And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts
them in the recycle bin).  And the user can always restore the backups from
the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open
the
last version it saved.

"dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you're running xl2k or below, you can load autosave and use:

tools|autosave
There's a box for how many minutes between saves.

Actually, this'll work if you're running Autosave.xla in any version of excel.
(But autosave.xla doesn't come with xl2002+).

dee wrote:

--

Dave Peterson
0
"Paul B" wrote:

> Dee,
> From a previous post by Dave Peterson:
>

> If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via
> windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs
>
> If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin
> from an earlier version, it should work ok.
>
> But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery.  It's not the same as
> autosave,
> but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows crashes.
>
> As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
> called AutoSafe (note spelling).
>
> It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves.  It saves to a
> user
> selectable folder.  And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
> puts
> them in the recycle bin).  And the user can always restore the backups from
> the
> recycle bin.
>
> http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
> (look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)
>
> Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open
> the
> last version it saved.
>
> "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Dee (106)

Copy and Paste not saving format changes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, I just bought Microsoft Office for Mac early this month and am still getting used to it. Can someone help me with this: I have several documents typed onto a notebook layout with lots of bullet points, color changes, cross outs and the like. I wanted to copy and past all of that into a new document but when I did ALL of the formatting changes were lost. There were no bullet points, so the text flushed left, yada, yada, yada. I looked around the toolbar to try and find a setting that would allow me to do the cut an...

Public Folders: How to set up Auto-Reply in EX2003?
Hi guys, I've configured a public folder to receive mail from the Internet, and also set up an auto-reply rule using the Folder Assistant to reply when an e-mail is sent to the folder. The folder will auto-reply just fine if I e-mail it from within the Exchange organization, but if folks from the Internet e-mail the folder, it doesn't reply. Any ideas? Thanks! Jeff I ended up figuring out what the problem was. Just in case anyone else has this problem, what I needed to do to fix it was: - Open Exchange System Manager > Global Settings > Internet Message Formats - Right-c...

excel save as csv
I need to generate a csv file that encloses every text field with a double quote like this - "abc", "def","ghi", etc. Currently, excel will do this ONLY with fields that contain a comma like this - "word1, word2", def, ghi Any help would be much appreciated! Take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html In article <51B9385E-F0F9-4A0E-B336-497E2883EA2D@microsoft.com>, "Newbie-Don" <Newbie-Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to generate a csv file that encloses every text field with a doub...

Elusive Font Setting
Outlook 2000: All of my proportional font settings are set to Arial. My default formatting is HTML. If I switch formatting to Plain Text, I get a warning, and the text is correctly coverted to Arial, as per the settings. If I then switch back to HTML, the text defaults to Times New Roman. I cannot find a setting that forces HTML text to Arial. Unfortunately, that's the way Outlook 2000 works. I don't know why. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpst...

The Settings button keeps disappearing
Hi, I'm having a weird problem when I access CRM using the web client. When I access the site, I see all the buttons (Workplace, Sales, etc) except the Settings button. If I reboot, the button is back. My security role is system Admin. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks! Simon Are you running the Microsoft CRM Outlook Desktop client in parallel? Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP Workopia, Inc. http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com "Simon Renshaw" wrote: > Hi, > > I'm having a weird problem when I access CRM using the web client. When I > access the site, I s...

Check Verification data is not saved into the database
A Check tender type has been created with the "Open" Check Verification. It seems to work OK except: 1) Although Driver's License, State and Birth Date are diaplyed on the form in POS the data entered is not saved into the Database. 2) The account Number is masked with X's. Can this be switched off anywhere? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open th...

Import/export custom attributes
I have something that is driving me nuts. I need to import a custom attribute for 600 plus users and then also modify these from time to time. Right now I just need to do the bulk import. I have the user names in a spreadsheet with this ID and it is unique to the user. I need to import that into the AD for everyone. I have looked everywhere and can't figure out how to do it. I am USELESS at scripting with VB, and I tried running some csvde queries but not much luck. can someone help?? thanks!! ...

Sales --> Transaction Entry Auto serial strange attitude
Dear All I am using GP 10 SP2 I am using screen Sales --> Transaction Entry When I type a serial in the document, number let us say “CAI00001” “CAI00002” “CAI00003” Then if I closed the document and then I opened it again I found that the default serial is “CAI00004” which I don’t want that 1 - So I am asking why is that happening ? 2 - How can I stop that? 3 – is there is a way to tell the system not to put these default numbers and I will let the user add them by his own. Please advise me what to do I am really in a big trouble. Thank you Go to Sales Order Processing Setup Options a...

Setting directory for file save in macro
Hi Thanks to a generous poster I now have a great bit of code to use in a macro for Excel which saves a text file (I'm no VBA programmer so this was really helpful), i.e.: Open "Test.txt" For Output As #1 (rest of code) My problem now is this: The macro saves test.txt to Excel's current active folder, rather than the folder that the current workbook is contained in. For example, if I last saved an Excel workbook to c:\workbooks\, and the workbook that I have open exists in c:\workbooks\workbook1\, when I run the macro it saves the text file in c:\workbooks\. If I ...

Saving html message as Draft changes text formatting...
WIN XP HE, OL 2002 Hi, I have recently noticed that whenever I write an email (using Word as editor) in html format, and instead of sending it, save it (to the drafts folder), the text itself changes format from my default to another one. It seems to change in the paragraph style which then changes the text format. The only change I recently made was to edit my signatures in html, rtf and plain text format. When I write a new email, it opens up with the signature already in it and perhaps there are format/style conflicts..? Tx for shedding some light into this. S As an added information, t...

Setting .doc default to .doc, not .dox
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel How do i do this for all new documents? > How do i do this for all new documents? I meant .doc instead of .docx Word> Preferences> Save, choose Word 97-2004 Document (.doc) from the Save Word files as: list - just keep in mind that you'll be constantly working in Compatibility Mode which will prevent the use of some of 2008's features. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/23/08 7:50 PM, in article ee99690.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "dbdbdb@officeformac.com" <dbdbdb@officeform...

How do I get automatic completion to work for an in-cell dropdown
If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropdown, I'd like typing 'G' to auto-select Gamma. I'm pretty sure it was doing that at some point, but now, it does not. This isn't supported under data|validation. You could use A,B,G in the dropdown and then use a helper cell with a formula in it, though. Say you put your abbreviations in A1:A3 of sheet2 and the real names in B1:B3, then you could use: =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) Joseph Weisblatt wrote: > > If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropd...

Trying to set up account, geting nowhere FAST!
From: "Lenora" <lmandre@windstream.net> Subject: Understanding what Microsoft Communities Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 5:41 PM Hello out there! What is Microsoft Communities all about? Is it something that comes with no charge when you get Microsoft Vista? This is the 4th computer I've had (besides ones at work). First a Compaq that I loaded everything I could from work, the computer guy gave me stuff...did work at home, brought it back to work, and visa versa. Second was a re-built computer that was given to me by a man in the town we had moved to...out of the g...

Printing
Hope you folks can help me out with a strange one. I have several worksheets formatted in exactly the same way as follows: Col A - width 4 Col B - hidden Col C - width 4 Col D - Width 108 Col E - Width 3 Col F - Width 11 Col G - Hidden Col H - Width 11 & Empty My print range should be Cols A:G (I have used page setup to set the scaling to fit 1 page wide by [blank] pages tall, thus each sheet will print as many pages as required depending on number of rows] When I have the print range set to A:G only columns A:E show on the print preview (and also on the actual print out) and when I m...

auto filter data within pivot table
Hello, Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? Can we do that? It doesnt seems to work?! Thanks. Elaine. You can add fields to the page area, and use them to filter the pivot table's data. To sort a field, select a cell in a column, and click the A-Z button on the Excel toolbar. elaine wrote: > Does anyone know how can we filter data within a pivot table? or sort > the data from ascending to decending order withing a pivot table??? > Can we do that? > > It doesnt se...

Annoying Auto correct
Please HELP. I am entering strings of numbers for street adresses, such as "137th" or "73rd" and when I advance to the next cell, Excel is automatically and INCORRECTLY CHANGING these entries to "137Th" and "73Rd". I cannot find which auto correct feature or other option is doing this to me and it is driving me crazy. Could someone help me find what I need to shut off? Jay I think it's Tools / Options / Edit / Enable Autocomplete for Cell Values turn off that checkbox. "jayceejay" wrote: > Please HELP. I am entering strings ...

Attach Trigger to Save Function of Form
I am in the processes of trying to attach a trigger to the Save function of an already existing GP form using Dex. In one of the documents, it states that the CM_Checkbook_Maitenance has a SaveRecord function. I am trying to acces the function that is similar to this on the PM_Vendor_Maitenance form. I tried using SaveRecord and when I tried to compile it it says that it is an unknown reference. Is there some documentation with a list of the functions for each form? Mike, PM_Vendor_Maintenance is an older form and probably doesn't have a SaveRecord function. Try running t...

Setting up Exchange 2003
I had this problem the other day while extending the schema in preparation for an upgrade to Exchange 2003. I searched through a lot of databases and search engines, and found that a lot of people have had this problem, but none of the forums led to a clear cut answer to the issue. So, I thought I'd share my solution to try and help others out, and save them some time and frustration. I was ready to call Microsoft support right before I figured this out. While running forest prep (setup /forestprep), setup failed with Error code 0XC103798A. It then specified to check the Exchange inst...

Won't boot and no hard drive detected in system recovery
I've had my PC for about a year, its a self build, it ran without any problems until a couple of weeks ago where it started slowing down like crazy. Unfortunately I was at Uni at the time and my brother didn't tell me about the issues. It would basically work normally (but a little slow) and then freeze up every few seconds. One time it failed to start - I think the error message was that the boot files were corrupt or something, but this was a one off. After about 3 weeks of slow behaviour it started doing the following: I turn it on and it tries to start up. The green ...

Outlook 2002/2003 auto-complete function
How do i clear out the "database" of the auto-complete function in the To,cc and bcc fields. i know how to do a single name clear by clicking delete is there a way to clear all the names out? To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287623 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brian James" <bjames@beconet.com> wrote in message news:009101c3ad51$120b6a00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do i clear out the "database" of the auto-complete > function in the To,cc and bcc fields. i know how...

Keep message from being forwarded automatically
Is there an option in Outlook 2003 to keep messages from being forwarded? In help I found Restricted permission, but I can't find that icon on the email toolbar, so maybe that is a flaw in the help file. ...

automatically add borders to a cell after entry is complete
I've seen this done before. I would like to format the cells in my spreadsheet to automatically add a border to seperate one cell entry from the next after I'm finished with the entry. In other words after I tab out of the cell. Thanks, BKD you can set a conditional formatting. Highlight the area you will input numbers go to format--> conditional Formatting--> cell value is change to not equal to 0 click on format, select border--> choose one with all borders around it, click ok and ok again. now if you input any number except 0 you will see the borders. hope it hel...

Automatic Forwarding...
How can I automatically forward all mail received in the System Administrator's box to another email box? - or - How can I assign another email box to be the system administrator so as to receive all problem emails and the like? Thanx. On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:50:31 -0700, "Steven" <stmasi@hotmail.com> wrote: >How can I automatically forward all mail received in the >System Administrator's box to another email box? > > - or - > >How can I assign another email box to be the system >administrator so as to receive all problem emails and the &g...

Saving Excel files takes a huge amount of time
Hi, Excel takes 5-10 minutes whenever I try to save the file after making the smallest of changes, even if I add a value to just one cell. Excel is using 98 or 99% of the CPU during these 5-10 minutes. If I do a save as the file gets saved instantaneously. The save time for subsequent saves also decreased. Then it slowly started creeping up and now I am back at a situation where it takes 5-10 minutes The file size is 3MB with 2 tabs, lots of formulaes, also formulaes cross referencing the tabs. This is the raw data file, which I am having problem saving. There are 2 other excel files...

Saving Hotmail messages with Outlook 2002
Hi, I an allowed 10 megs of space on hotmail. Some e-mail messages I need to save permanently. If I left them on Hotmail in a saved foldr, this would soon use up my 10 megs. I have started using Outlook 2002 with Hotmail so I can download my e-mail to my computer. But since my Outlook folders sycnronize with my Hotmail folders, how can I be sure of saving my e-mail permanently once it has been downloaded into Outlook saved folder, and when those messages in the Hotmail saved folder have been deleted. Graham What it sounds like your describing is you are downloading your hotmail me...