How do I set an auto alternating row color?

I'd like to set my excel database ROWS to alternating colors(ex. teal &
white). My database is HUGE and I can't feasibly do it manually without
taking hours and hours clicking each row and changing the color. Also another
concern is that I constantly am adding rows throughout the database. I'd like
to know if there's a way to automatically have to row colors stay alternating.

Thanks a ton!

Daniel

Daniel,

Select all your cell, the use Format / Conditional Formatting...  Formula is... and use the formula

=MOD(ROW(),2)=0
(for the first row to not be shaded)
or
=MOD(ROW(),2)=1
(for the first row to be shaded)

and set your color as you want by clicking the Format button, and selecting your fill color on the
patterns tab.  Then click OK OK and you're done.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Daniel Stephens" <Daniel Stephens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to set my excel database ROWS to alternating colors(ex. teal &
> white). My database is HUGE and I can't feasibly do it manually without
> taking hours and hours clicking each row and changing the color. Also another
> concern is that I constantly am adding rows throughout the database. I'd like
> to know if there's a way to automatically have to row colors stay alternating.
>
> Thanks a ton!
>
> Daniel

0
Bernie
7/19/2005 4:09:32 PM
Thank you SO much. That was very very helpful.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Select all your cell, the use Format / Conditional Formatting...  Formula is... and use the formula
>
> =MOD(ROW(),2)=0
> (for the first row to not be shaded)
> or
> =MOD(ROW(),2)=1
> (for the first row to be shaded)
>
> and set your color as you want by clicking the Format button, and selecting your fill color on the
> patterns tab.  Then click OK OK and you're done.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "Daniel Stephens" <Daniel Stephens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to set my excel database ROWS to alternating colors(ex. teal &
> > white). My database is HUGE and I can't feasibly do it manually without
> > taking hours and hours clicking each row and changing the color. Also another
> > concern is that I constantly am adding rows throughout the database. I'd like
> > to know if there's a way to automatically have to row colors stay alternating.
> >
> > Thanks a ton!
> >
> > Daniel

Changing the WHITE background color of Money
Hi, I've just installed "Money financial suite 14.0" on my WinXP Pro. Does anyone know how to change the WHITE background color to another color (gray for instance) ? White kills your eyes + the pixels of your screen. White as a background color also goes against basic ergonomics principles ! Thanks! Christian "nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23OmHLJF2EHA.2708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I've just installed "Money financial suite 14.0" on my WinXP Pro. > > Does anyone know how to change the WHITE ba...

Pivot chart and Total row
Hi All I have a Pivot table and attached Pivot chart (all good so far). However, there are three columns (drop column details here) which are the two columns of data and a grand total column (showing the average of my two data columns) When I turn it into a pivot chart it does not display the grand total column as well (is there a way to do this). I have tried to go into the chart options but these are locked. I can copy and paste the results but this is a bit clumsy. Any suggestions - any help greatly appreciated Kind regards Rexmann PS using excel 2003 ...

template orright hand margin set up
I want to set up the right hand portion of my page to have a line down the margin and to have the word "NOTES" to appear at the top of this margin or column for each page. I write many college papers and I want the reader to have the courtesy to have a separate "NOTE" column for his own use as he/she reads the paper. Type the word "NOTES" in a text box that you anchor to the header paragraph; that way, it will be repeated on all pages using the header in question. For more, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm. -- Stefan Bl...

How do I save data with different colored fonts in EXCEL 2003?
I have a rather large spreadsheet with some data set to different colors that mean different thigs to those of us that use it. For some reason, these color changes are not being saved when I save my spreadsheet. When I open my spreadsheet again, the colors are gone. Which version of Excel are you using? Are you sure that you're saving the spreadsheet as Excel (and not as some other file type which Excel can read)? Is the resultant file keeping a suffix of ".xls"? If not, then the data is being saved but not the formatting specifications. Next time you save the ...

Why are the workspace colors in Publisher 2000 pink and blue
We thought the color problem was fixed when we had the computer cleaned up after a virus but its back again. The virus program shows there is no virus. Is it to do with memory? The colour charts show pink and blue as does the work space. The only way I know what I'm doing while creating graphics is to check the print preview which shows everything just fine. Logger's Wife <LoggersWife@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > We thought the color problem was fixed when we had the computer > cleaned up after a virus but its back again. The virus pr...

Font color #3
How do I change font color in an Excel spreadsheet so it will remain until I change it again. Clicking on font color only seems to change it for one cell. Thanks, Select all the cells whose font color you wish to change, then change the font color. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "aberry1014" <aberry1014@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7B8E2D9-A876-44D8-9108-0DE0C8AFCEEB@microsoft.com... > How do I change font color in an Excel spreadsheet so it will > remain until I > chang...

How to copy rows from Excel without losing the row height format
In Excel 2003. I have a section of a spreadsheet that contains a 25 rows that each have different row height. I want to copy these to a section below, but lose the row height formatting. How do I copy without losing the row height format? Are you copying the entire row? Also, don't forget the format painter and the right-click paste special options. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "artex boy" <artex boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DA6D00F-8957-4569-94C5-EDB2AE6F683D@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2003. I have a section of a sp...

Auto loading a file
For some reason if I click on the E icon of an excel file, Excel loads but doesn't load the file. I can only load the file by opening excel and using the 'File' 'open' command. Can anyone tell me what has happened? Rick K Try tools>options>general and uncheck ignore other applications -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Rick K" <2dinst@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:GcISd.4803$Q47.2257@bignews5.bellsouth.net... > For some reason if I click on the E icon of an excel file, Excel loads but > doesn't load the file. I can only load the f...

How to draw Shapes with solid color, which is transparent?
I have loaded a bitmap to the SDI application and try to draw a shape (ex:- Rectangle, Circle, Elipse... ) above the bitmap. We are using CreateSolidBrush() to fill the shape with the solid RED color. How can i make the shape( Rectangle, Circle, Elipse...) backround as transparent. I am using the VC++6, MFC, GDI Sample code:- CBrush *pShadingBrush = new CBrush; pShadingBrush->CreateSolidBrush( RGB( 255, 0, 0 ) ); pDC->SelectObject( pShadingBrush ); pDC->SetBkMode(TRANSPARENT); pDC->FillRect( &Rect, pShadingBrush ); Using the above code, I am not able to see the ...

Excel 2000... Missing row and column designators.
Ho do you mean 'Tools - Options - View' and check 'Row/Column headings' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Clarence" <carowe@cnyconnect.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2ee7401c46c21$a45aef40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > ...

can I use Publisher to set up signatures of 8 pages?
I neeed to print and bind a book. I can't find any way to set up and print in sgnatures of 8 or so pages. I seem to be limited to 4 page bookfold. Any ideas? Insert, page -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "traveller" <traveller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FD3B5CB-8D56-49DE-B632-06617A54EBE7@microsoft.com... >I neeed to print and bind a book. I can't find any way to set up and print in > sgnatures of 8 or so pages. I seem to be limited to 4 page bookfold. Any > idea...

auto sum function
I just realized my final sum changes if I use the "sort ascending" function..... How do I fix this ? thank u Hi where is your sum formula located? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I just realized my final sum changes if I use the "sort > ascending" function..... > > How do I fix this ? > > thank u Down a colum But also, i just found out info changes on each lines when i use the "sort ascending" tool... >-----Original Message----- >Hi >where is your sum formula located? &...

Auto-attach to designated email recipient?
Please see the following: joe@smith.com.au (a managers email address) document.xls (a spreadsheet with a problem log for all staff to continually update) I need to know how to configure the joe@smith address in my outlook so that whenever I create a new email to it, the document.xls spreadsheet is already attached without me having to manually attach it. Is this possible in Outlook 2003? ...

coloring picklist options
Hi, I saw in stunnware jscript code for coloring the options of a picklist, but can I maintain the color after the selection so it stays on the form after the pickup? (The CRM replaces the colors with background blue and white text) Thanks. //TODO: Replace <name of your picklist field> with the schema name of the picklist in question. var list = crmForm.all.<name of your picklist field>; //using the first option here, you need to find the one you need. var option = list.options[0]; //Set the background color to red. option.style.backgroundColor = "#FF0000"; //Set t...

Why are my columns and rows reversed when I open Excel
When I open my Excel spreadsheet the columns, rows and scroll bars are reversed?? What's happened? Tools|options|International Tab Uncheck that "view current sheet right-to-left" Deb Web wrote: > > When I open my Excel spreadsheet the columns, rows and scroll bars are > reversed?? What's happened? -- Dave Peterson ...

auto save path
How do I change a non-existing auto save path in Excel? I missed a backslash when I wrote the path, but it was accepted by Excel. Now I cannot change it. Puk Are you referring to Tools>Options>Save "Autorecovery"? You can enter a path in the dialog box. Note: this is not "Autosave" Autosave saves the file at timed increments you set. This feature was done away with in Excel 2002 and 2003. Autosave for Excel 97 and 2000 does not have a user-selected path. It defaults to your Tools>Options>General "default file location". Gord Dibben Excel MVP...

Macro to find a row and delete it and the 9 rows above it. #2
Thanks alot that did the trick. This forum and you guys are life saver -- Rusty_n ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Rusty_nl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=671 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31376 ...

IE auto complete list
does nyone know how to delete auto complete information of IE or where it is stored? I am writing a small mfc app and need to clear the autocomplete information. ...

Security Settings
I am having some issues w/ Security settings in Dynamics. I have some users that we are only giving the ability to enter POs and print them. We have gone through all of the sub-windows, and have verified through users creating POs that they have access to everything in the PO entry. However, when these users are logging in there is a message that says that user does not have access to this window. The error message does not list any windows and the PO entry window is the only set on the startup. The issue that accompanies this is that the system date is not automatically filled in...

How can I set up the random selection of a cell from within a ran.
I want Excel to randomly select one cell from a range of cells, but is it possible? This would be the equivalent of drawing one slip of paper from several hundred. An uncomplicated way to do this is to simply add a column filled with the RAND() function next to your column of choices. Select both columns, and sort on the Rand() column. Pick the one at the top, or bottom, as your random selection. A little more complicated procedure would be to use a formula, referring to this combination of Rand() and your list, and let this formula randomly pick an item. Place your list in an "out o...

how do i "de-dupe?" rows by a column value?
I have a complex operation to perform. My spreadsheet has rows that indicate items (control number in column A) linked to titles (control number in column B). A title can have multiple items in the spredsheet. I want to number the titles and assign random numbers to them so that I can get two random samples. I also want to have my random numbering retained in the spreadsheet as a whole, so I can see all the items assigned to my samples. How can I "dedupe" column B, assign a random number to each title control, then transfer that data to my "undeduped" spreadshe...

Can't set default font for envelopes
I've been able to set default fonts for Normal.doc but envelopes keeps forgetting the default. While in Mailing/Envelopes - I highlight and right click on the address I entered. I select the font I want (Trebuchet MS) and select DEFAULT at bottom left. The message: "You are about to change the default font to (Default) Trebuschet MS,. Do you want to change to affect all new documents based on the Normal Template?" I select YES - It doesn't work. And the Normal.docx has alread had the default set to Trebuchet MS. and seems to be holding. An earlier ...

Set print area on several pages at once in Excell Workbook?
How can I set the print area on several pages of an Excell workbook at one time instead of having to set it one page at a time? You would have to write a macro to do this. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A934EF4-AF5F-49F5-9F0A-1BB51A45F66C@microsoft.com... > How can I set the print area on several pages of an Excell > workbook at one > time instead of having to set it one page at a time? When you have the workbook open, ther...

Auto Configure Outlook 2003 profile
We have lots of sales people using different computers at different sites. I would love to auto configure Outlook 2003 for them so that they don't have to call me for that. Is there any way that I can auto configure their Outlook 2003? I am talking about when a new user logs in the first time and try to use Outlook, it displays a dialogue box to enter server name and user name. So is it possible to autofill those fields and auto configure Outlook 2003. It's a W2k3 & E2k3 environment. Thanks Joel "Joel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

No email since set up.Loads before.Reasons why?
Recently reinstalled windows and microsoft office 2003.Generally working ok,but since microsoft outlook took over from outlook express have received no email at all.Previously receiving up to twelve a day.Dont want to mess unnecessarily with system,but need email back.What can I do? Reva With Outlook 2003 open go to Tools>E-mail Accounts. Follow the wizard to set up an account. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:06:02 -0800, Reva Tir. <Reva Tir.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Recently reinstalled windows and microsoft office 2003.Generally working >ok,b...