How do I remove a hidden space in Excel cells

Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem...

I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes).  I am pulling my data (name,
address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created.

In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps.

I use the Address Block for the delivery address.  However, when it pulls
the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by one
space.  No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or
place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change doesn't
take place.  I've checked all the tabs as well.

Someone mentioned that I might have a hidden space in the cell but when I
look at my cells, I don't see anything obvious.  Any ideas?
0
B1 (229)

Don't use the address block. Instead, use the individual fields.
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"EJ B" <EJ B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem...
>
> I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes).  I am pulling my data (name,
> address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created.
>
> In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps.
>
> I use the Address Block for the delivery address.  However, when it pulls
> the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by
> one
> space.  No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or
> place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change
> doesn't
> take place.  I've checked all the tabs as well.
>
> Someone mentioned that I might have a hidden space in the cell but when I
> look at my cells, I don't see anything obvious.  Any ideas?

0
ng1 (1444)
11/17/2005 6:40:23 PM
If the space shows up in both the cell and the formula bar, then something
invisible is there.  In the formula bar, select the "thing" and back it out.

If the space is in the cell and not in the formula bar, then it is probably
an indent.  Use the Decrease Indent button to remove the indent.
--
Gary's Student

"EJ B" wrote:

> Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem...
>
> I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes).  I am pulling my data (name,
> address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created.
>
> In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps.
>
> I use the Address Block for the delivery address.  However, when it pulls
> the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by one
> space.  No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or
> place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change doesn't
> take place.  I've checked all the tabs as well.
>
> Someone mentioned that I might have a hidden space in the cell but when I
> look at my cells, I don't see anything obvious.  Any ideas?
0
GarysStudent (1572)
11/17/2005 6:46:10 PM
Hi, Gary's Student. Actually, this is a known Word issue...something to do
with Word thinking that there ought to be a space before an address block.
Bottom line...when doing mail merge, don't use the address block. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/troubleshoot_mail_merge_results_in_microsoft_word.htm
for more info. :)
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gary''s Student" <GarysStudent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If the space shows up in both the cell and the formula bar, then something
> invisible is there.  In the formula bar, select the "thing" and back it
> out.
>

> If the space is in the cell and not in the formula bar, then it is
> probably
> an indent.  Use the Decrease Indent button to remove the indent.
> --
> Gary's Student
>

> "EJ B" wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem...
>>
>> I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes).  I am pulling my data (name,
>> address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created.
>>
>> In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps.
>>
>> I use the Address Block for the delivery address.  However, when it pulls
>> the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by
>> one
>> space.  No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or
>> place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change
>> doesn't
>> take place.  I've checked all the tabs as well.
>>
>> Someone mentioned that I might have a hidden space in the cell but when I
>> look at my cells, I don't see anything obvious.  Any ideas?

0
ng1 (1444)
11/17/2005 6:53:16 PM
Thanks very much.  I did exactly as you suggested by doing it line by line
and I finished my task.  Thanks to both for your help!!

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> Hi, Gary's Student. Actually, this is a known Word issue...something to do
> with Word thinking that there ought to be a space before an address block.
> Bottom line...when doing mail merge, don't use the address block. See:
> http://www.officearticles.com/word/troubleshoot_mail_merge_results_in_microsoft_word.htm
> for more info. :)
> ************
> Anne Troy
> VBA Project Manager
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>
> "Gary''s Student" <GarysStudent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If the space shows up in both the cell and the formula bar, then something
> > invisible is there.  In the formula bar, select the "thing" and back it
> > out.
> >

> > If the space is in the cell and not in the formula bar, then it is
> > probably
> > an indent.  Use the Decrease Indent button to remove the indent.
> > --
> > Gary's Student
> >

> > "EJ B" wrote:
> >
> >> Not sure if this is an Excel or Word problem...
> >>
> >> I am doing a mail merge in Word (envelopes).  I am pulling my data (name,
> >> address, cit/state/zip) from an Excel .xls I created.
> >>
> >> In mail merge, I select envelopes and go through all the steps.
> >>
> >> I use the Address Block for the delivery address.  However, when it pulls
> >> the data over, the name line (first line of address block) is indented by
> >> one
> >> space.  No matter what I do (place cursor at indent and use backspace or
> >> place cursor at next two correct lines and add a space), the change
> >> doesn't
> >> take place.  I've checked all the tabs as well.
> >>
> >> Someone mentioned that I might have a hidden space in the cell but when I
> >> look at my cells, I don't see anything obvious.  Any ideas?

0
EJB (1)

excel export available
I have a query that I wish to export the results to Excel. However, the Excel button on the Export Data tab is grayed out? It used to work. Any ideas of what makes the Excel Export unavailable? Thanks, Mike ...

Creating an Excel table from Access
Hi, I have an Access database which I use to log downtime for systems. I have a requirement to produce a monthly report based on this data, however, this needs to be exported to excel in a specific format. Down the left side of the report need to go the names of the services, with the days (numerically like: 1, 2, 3 .. 29, 30 etc) across the top. Then I need to count the number of times each service was down on a give day, and insert that information into the necessary cell - so if intranet services had been down twice on 16th March, for example, there would be a 2 in column 16, whi...

pasting into merged cells #2
Every time I try to copy and paste data into a merged cell I get error messages about the cells not being the same size. Even if I try to just paste values only. Is there any workaround or fix for this??? Dennis Try pasting into the formula bar. It's a pain, but it works. HTH Carole >-----Original Message----- >Every time I try to copy and paste data into a merged cell I get error >messages about the cells not being the same size. Even if I try to just >paste values only. Is there any workaround or fix for this??? > >Dennis > > >. > See my res...

how do i set up a user prompt at the start of an excel workbook ?
I need to create a security feature which requests the users agreement prior to entering into a worksheet. How do I do that? Mark, Right click the sheet tab of the sheet you want to protect, View code and paste the code below in. Change the ProtectedSheet to the correct sheet name and the outsheet variable to where you want to go if the user doesn't agree. A couple of points. If macros aren't enabled it won't work and it provides very little security because Excel security is weak. Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() msg = "Do you agree to the terms and condit...

Excel data disappeared after getting message about compatibility M
I tried to save changes to a spreadsheet, and received the following message: "Compatibility Report for New Customer List.xls Run on 4/6/2010 19:52 The following features in this workbook are not supported by earlier versions of Excel. These features may be lost or degraded when you save this workbook in an earlier file format. Minor loss of fidelity Some cells or styles in this workbook contain formatting that is not supported by the selected file format. These formats will be converted to the closest format available." I clicked OK, because fidelity is not imp...

Excel working in with Outlook
I have Office 2007 so obviously Outlook 2007 and Excel 2007. I have made up a newbie's Excel spreadsheet for my business. One thing to open that has my entire financial year's data in it and my car logbook. One thing I am going to add to it is parts. I want to know when parts need to be re-ordered so will set a level where I want Excel to show up basically something like a "reorder now" warning. However, I am often in a hurry, record the event and don't look at the outcome until I have some time, late at night. At that time, reordering becomes a nightmare. Is ther...

How to Filter cells and save the file with certain criteria?
Hello. I have a Excel file that contains a large list of Tracking Numbers. The tracking numbers are from two sets of order types- Internet orders and Mail Orders. Orders that are from the Internet are matched up with a order number such as "5678". Orders from the mail-order side are designated by initials "MO". So in Excel it'll look something like this: trackingnumber orderid 123365656666 5467 152155896345 5468 123365634567 MO 152134567789 5469 152151234563 MO Is there a way to eliminate the Mail-Order rows and save the Excel file to ...

INVISIBLE or HIDDEN RULE?
Greetings all - I'm curious to inquire and see if there is any way to create a rule on an employee's computer that would forward certain messages to an account that we are setting up that can NOT be seen from that employee's computer. Sort of the like Hidden files and such. Please let me know! Thanks all! You would have to run an event sink on that mailbox to do what you want. There are no "hidden" rules. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminde...

Excel Formulae #2
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with value in one column & a series of dates in 5 other columns.For each row depending on the value in the first colunm a date may be applicable in one or more of the other columns.e.g 550 in the first column will mean dates will be inserted in the next 2 columns similar to authority levels. My qn. is how can I show what's outstanding if the relevant authority levels have not signed off-basically this is used as a tracker of invoices & I would like to show what is outstanding awaiting approval at anytime. Thanks Raj ----------------------------------...

Add a Word Document as a Tab in an Excel Document
I work on several documents that require both worksheets and written reports - being able to add a word document as a new tab in Excel would be a neat way of integrating the two into one file for storing/printing/emailing. Maybe... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,5224,00.asp "Office Binder: Gone but Not Really" PC Magazine article, January 29, 2002 by M. David Stone on using Binder in Office XP Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "GoDamN" <GoDamN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F814119-2FA1-4BA6-92EB-C524C8C3820C@microsoft.com... > I work on s...

Querying Excel data without another program
Hello, I'm an intermediate user of Excel, but I have lots of experience using Access. If you can give me clues on how to handle the information below using only Excel, I'd be grateful! I have a spreadsheet in Excel 97 in which there's a Worksheet named, "Datasource" with a column "B" containing repetitive data. I'd like to create a new worksheet in the same Excel file which shows a single instance of each item used in Column "B". If I were writing the query in SQL, I'd say "SELECT DISTINCT [Column B] FROM [MySpreadsheet]![Datasource...

Excel is not counting
merry x'mas In excel 2003, i entered a number in a column and dragged down the rows to count the consecutive numbers automatically, but it was just copying the same number instead counting. How to change so as to count? -- Life isa journey not a destination Do the same while holding the CTRL Pressed. Micky "Sherees" wrote: > merry x'mas > In excel 2003, i entered a number in a column and dragged down the rows to > count the consecutive numbers automatically, but it was just copying the same > number instead counting. How to change so as to...

Highlight Cells with different values
Hi, I have a column that I want to locate the differences. I can use the F5---Special---Column Differences. But I wanted to know if I can do it with Conditional Formatting. Like if Value in A1 is different than the values in Column A:A, then it is highlighted... Any help appreciated Fuad Sounds like an Excel question..try one of the Excel newsgroups, this one is for Publisher. "Fuad" <Fuad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0536FB95-362E-412F-BD1C-99BF9B10E8CD@microsoft.com... | Hi, | | I have a column that I want to locate the differences. I can use th...

Import contacts from Excel
I have numerous contact lists with various categories and wondered if i can import them into an email distribution list so that i do not need to hand type each email? thanks "angie" <angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64042F86-62E0-4D42-B9CE-49C134DB4B7B@microsoft.com... >I have numerous contact lists with various categories and wondered if i can > import them into an email distribution list so that i do not need to hand > type each email? You can't import into a DL. Instead import into your Contacts and assign categories to ...

cell protection to allow GROUP/UNGROUP function
2 asthetic questions for all you advanced Excel Users.... Q1. is it possible to protect a worksheet, but still be able to us the +GROUP & -UN GROUP buttons ? to expand / contract the viewe ranges? Q2. anyone know how to change the colour of the AUTO FILTER button - i changes from black to dark blue when activated - i would like to hav this with more contrast and so it jumps out at you ( and the othe plebs in the office who keep forgetting) Regards David ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dire...

Random Sampling in Microsoft Excell 2002
Hi, I'm trying to create a random sample using the Data Analysis tool in Excell. The problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how to make a non-repeating sample. I want all the observations in the sample to be unique. How do I do this without manually deleting the repeat entries on the output worksheet? next to the entries, put in the formula =Rand() then drag fill down the column. Sort the data and this column with this column as the key. Then take the top "n" items. Regards, Tom Ogilvy "EJ Ford" <edseljoe@earthlink.net> wrote in mess...

How to lock a line put on a graph in excell
I am trying to attach a line to a graph with months on the X axis. When I add additional months I want the line to stay in between the original months, however, it always moves as the graph expands. Drawing objects cannot be linked to specific values of chart axes, unless you incorporate them as series in the chart. Try the techniques here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:336...

How do I protect one single cell?
I have a spreadsheet where people are going to type in numbers, and the final cell is a total, which of course I don't want people to accidentally type over, as it will lose the formula behind it. So...... I put some "data validation" behind that cell, to say only allow entries of text length = 50 - a kind of "mock" condition. Nobody'e ever gonna type in 50 chars. are they?! And sure enough, typing in (eg) 854221 brings up the error box to stop them, just like (eg) HHJSYT brings up the error box to stop them. I even unchecked the ignore blank" box, so that ent...

No Smart Tag help: just a blank "MS Excel Help" window
When I invoke "help on this error" on a Smart Tag drop-down, a blank "MS Excel Help" window appears with no content. The general help pane that appears via <F1> etc. is fine - it's just the Smart Tag help option that doesn't show anything, just a blank window. Any suggestions? Win XP Home SP2 Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1 ...

how do why update my Excel microsoft office
how do why update my Excel microsoft office If you have office 5, you probably would want to update -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "sam" <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D951DBF-43DE-4C65-8CAC-B4E73DC572FD@microsoft.com... > how do why update my Excel microsoft office ...

How to total cells in a range with data input
Greetings to all members I am running Excel 97. An office colleague presented me with an issue that might be of interest to any Excel whiz and seasoned programmers. I would certainly appreciate any pointers in solving it. So here goes. The set of values includes 33 cells ranging from B4:D14. The data type is numeric. Data is only input in a few cells. QUESTION What would be the function to enter in, say, cell A15 to indicate the total number of cells in range B4:D14 that have received data input? Or does it involve some behind the scene VBA programming? EXAMPLE B6 = 9 C9 = 4 D11 ...

Email Help: Sending Outlook email from Excel VBA
Hi All, How do I select a specific property in outlook while sending email from excel? There is an option we can set in outlook outgoing emails call "Voting buttons" in that feature there is a custom option that we can select called "Have replies sent to" its a checkbox. I want it checked when i send an email from excel. Hope i made it clear. Thanks in advance If sending through the Outlook Object Model, use the MailItem.VotingOptions property and MailItem.ReplyRecipients collection. -- Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP) http://www.dimastr.com/ OutlookSp...

running excel in background
I'd like to run a program that writes values from one cell to another with a VBA program that is triggered by the clock. I've completed this part but, since I use active cells, you can't run another workbook without the clock activating the cell in the active worksheet. It needs to run in the background all day long. - ideas? will it run in the background if I don't activate cells? Try launching another instance of Excel. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Don" <thedonallen@yahoo.com&g...

The recalcitrant active cell.
I am way over in column EO, reconnoitring data, when I need assistance of a "what if", I activate the auto filter, and the active cell jumps back to A1. any workarounds for this annoying habit? Thanks in advance. Works for me, if I filter on something in one column and the active cell is there as well it won't change to A1 2 guesses, your active cell was A1 from the start even though you filtered on EO you have a recorded macro that was setup to go back to A1 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message news:u3PI%...

How do I export email addresses from excel to outlook?
I am trying to do a mail merge using email via outlook. I have 200+ addresses and I'd like to know how to import the addresses into the contacts section of outlook to do the merge from there. I've tried the help part of out look but it comes up saying that the excel file has no named ranges and that I should use excel to name the range of data to be imported. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Mark In outlook select file/import export/ import from another program or file/ and then follow the instructions from the wizard. Why do you want to do the mailmerge from Outlook? You can...