How do I protect my comments from being edited by another user?

I regularly send excel worksheets to a co-worker via e-mail and then she
sends it out to others within the company (sales force).  There are occasions
when she will need to revise it and send it back to me.  How do I protect my
comments so that they cannot be edited, or can I?  I received a worksheet
back today that the comments I had entered were changed.  These comments are
my back-up and I do not want them changed.

Can anybody help?
0
L (105)

highlight the whole sheet
format cells / protection / uncheck locked
highlight the cells you want protected
format cells / protection / check locked
tools / protection / protect sheet / make a password
0
dlw (166)
3/16/2005 4:49:07 PM
You can unlock the cells you want the users to be able to change.
(Format|cells|Protection tab)

Then protect the worksheet -- but make sure you don't all the users to Edit
Objects.

In xl2002+, it's near the bottom of that Tools|protect|protect sheet dialog.

In earlier versions, it was a checkbox on that dialog (IIRC).

In any case, worksheet protection is easily broken.  This is not a really secure
way.

Maybe you could keep a backup copy of your original comments???

--

Dave Peterson
0
Then protect the worksheet -- but make sure you don't all the users to Edit
Objects.

Change that ALL to ALLOW.

....allow the users...

--

Dave Peterson
0

"dlw" wrote:

> highlight the whole sheet
> format cells / protection / uncheck locked
> highlight the cells you want protected
> format cells / protection / check locked
> tools / protection / protect sheet / make a password
0
LauraL (5)
3/16/2005 5:31:06 PM

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Then protect the worksheet -- but make sure you don't all the users to Edit
> Objects.
>
> Change that ALL to ALLOW.
>
> ....allow the users...
>
> Dave Peterson wrote:
> >
> > You can unlock the cells you want the users to be able to change.
> > (Format|cells|Protection tab)
> >
> > Then protect the worksheet -- but make sure you don't all the users to Edit
> > Objects.
> >
> > In xl2002+, it's near the bottom of that Tools|protect|protect sheet dialog.
> >
> > In earlier versions, it was a checkbox on that dialog (IIRC).
> >
> > In any case, worksheet protection is easily broken.  This is not a really secure
> > way.
> >
> > Maybe you could keep a backup copy of your original comments???
> >
> > Laura L wrote:
> > >
> > > I regularly send excel worksheets to a co-worker via e-mail and then she
> > > sends it out to others within the company (sales force).  There are occasions
> > > when she will need to revise it and send it back to me.  How do I protect my
> > > comments so that they cannot be edited, or can I?  I received a worksheet
> > > back today that the comments I had entered were changed.  These comments are
> > > my back-up and I do not want them changed.
> > >
> > > Can anybody help?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
LauraL (5)

Excel 2000: allow users to edit ranges
I have Excel 2002 SP3 but another user has 2000 SP3. I created a big worksheet but only want him to be able to edit 1 column, so I used the Tools > Protection > Allow users to edit ranges and gave him access to that 1 column. When he opens it in 2000, he can not edit anything without first removing the protection from the entire worksheet. When I go to his Tools > Protection, he only has 3 options: protect sheet; protect workbook; protect and share workbook. He has no allow users to edit ranges option. Was this option not included in Excel 2000? Is there an update or add in f...

domain user, Outlook, password
a domain user using MS Outlook is asks for a user id and password every time they try to go into their Outlook. I think it has something to do with them not being authenicated from the domain, but I'm not sure. Can you respond with the possibilities and some solutions. "mrosinbaum" <mrosinbaum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83AC0A64-0C48-44F7-BF3E-2E4835F35C01@microsoft.com... >a domain user using MS Outlook is asks for a user id and password every time > they try to go into their Outlook. I think it has something to do with them &g...

Counting Number Records per Unique ID, saving it to another table:
I have a form frmVendors with a subform frmPayments. The main form shows information on vendors, and the subform is a continuous form which lists the checks paid out to each vendor. Users are typically entering new payments into the subform on the main form. The forms are linked to tables: Linked by VendorID (one to many) tblVendor: Key=VendorID, Vendor Name, Vendor Address, Vendor State, Vendor City tblPayments: Key=CheckID, VendorID, PaymentAmount There is a field in tblVendor called NumberChecks to show the total amount of checks paid out to that vendor. There is a text box on th...

Hyperlink Edit
I have a field on a form for email address. I have the field in the form, and the underlying table, formated as a hyperlink so once you enter an email into the feild it will automaticaly open an email to send to that address. Works great accept it is difficult to edit the field because if you click on the field it opens the hyperlink instead of letting you edit the field. How should I get around this? Terry. ...

SBS2003 server with MSCRM 3 Small Biz Edition on Network
Hi everybody, As you may know, Microsoft has changed the way that MSCRM is licensed in version 3.0, there is separate licensing for MSCRM 3.0 depending on whether the underlying server operating system being installed on is SBS 2003 or full blown Windows 2003. The price of licenses of MSCRM 3.0 Small Biz Edition is approx half that of MSCRM 3.0 Prof Edition, and Microsoft did it this way so that MSCRM 3.0 Small Biz edition can compete effectively with mid market CRM packages such as Goldmine, etc. However, problems arises when small business customers ARE NOT running SBS 2003. I have got ...

password protect outlook personal folder
I have protected my Outlook 2002 personal folder at work according to the instructions from MS Office Online Assistance (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011138511033.aspx) and it worked fine. I have tried the same procedure at home, but I still gain access to the folder without any password after restarting outlook. The "checked password" option is off course cleared. Any ideas? Thanks B�rd B�rd <bspost@online.no> wrote: > I have protected my Outlook 2002 personal folder at work according to > the instructions from MS Office Online Assista...

Spell check on a protected sheet #2
Hi I think I've fixed it: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() CommandButton1.TakeFocusOnClick = False ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="password" Cells.CheckSpelling MsgBox "Spell check complete. Press OK to continue" ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="password" End Sub I added the Message Box as if there are no spelling issues on the shee the users sees nothing happening when they press the button an naturally assumes its not worked. Thanks again for all your help Jon : -- jontai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jonta...

Protecting Data in Excel
Hi world Can anyone tell me if its possible to share access (on the same PC) to a worksheet but ensure that once data has been entered into a field it can't be deleted or altered without an administrator level access? If not anyone have any ideas what a suitable alternative may be? Many thanks Protection in Excel IMO should only ever really be considered as a means of preventing unintended changes to data. There is no level of protection you can set, where I couldn't gain access to any piece of data in whatever sheet you had me work with. Same goes for pretty much all of the...

Secondary protection DPM 2007 11-12-09
Hi I have a primary and a secondary DPM server. All my 19 protected servers on my primary DPM server is backed up ok. When I try to enable secondary protection it goes ok on 17 server of those 19. There are two servers that I can't enable secondary protection. I get the following error code: DPM is unable to retrieve the configuration information from <Server name> Ensure that the Windows Management Information (WMI) service NO_PARAM is started and is accessible from the DPM server. ID: 346 The error code isn't published on TechNet so this makes it more ...

Edit Tabbed Forms
I made a database, and a form to enter info into the datatbase. The form has 2 tabs, but both tabs enter info in the same table. The problem is that when I go to open the form, it opens to the next entry, but the bottom record counter is at 1. I can't go back and edit past records. The report and the table shows all the records, but the form doesnt. Anyone know why? "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F4D69AD-19B4-480A-A26E-1D6EA25372CA@microsoft.com... >I made a database, and a form to enter info into the datatbase. The form >has...

Making sure a replica of another node is not saved in the xml document
Hi, How do I iterate through the nodes of an xml file to check if the newly added node is a replica of another node(incl. innertext and each element of the node and values thereof) ? If there newly added node is a copy of another node I would then delete the new node and save the xml file. All this would be done from the click event of a button in a webform. What is a good way of achieving the above? A code sample would be great. Thanks a lot Anita, Yould run an XPath expression against the document before you insert a new element. The most generic case would be an XPath like this: //*...

Query based Subform will not allow editing
I have a maintenance DB that has energy lockout points associated with pieces of equipment so we can safely do maintenance. I have an 'edit existing lockout' form, based on a query, that lists in a subform the various points required for a certain piece of equipment. My system used to work, but now I can edit the main, but the subform has locked me out. All I get is a doorbell tone when I attempt to enter info. I can enter the req'd info in the tables, but but my form went snafu. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Does your query allow editing? Check the asterisk in the record...

Prevent External MAIL delivery to some users
I have a group of users, that they should receive internal mail from all users in organization, but i do not want them that they receive mail from anywhere from internet. Is it possible to configure that tape of delivery, so if somebody from internet wants to send mail to user@bla.com user wont get that mail, but it would get mail from userX@bla.com, and user@bla.com can send mail to userX@bla.com Mr.B wrote: > I have a group of users, that they should receive internal mail from all users in organization, but i do not want them that they receive mail from anywhere from internet. > Is ...

Reporting Exchange User Activity
Hi, I am looking for a means (3rd Party recommendations welcome) on how to get the following information from our Exchange server. The "client" list of domains may be up to 500 domain names. How many emails per day are sent by our company to its clients? How many emails per day are received by our company to its clients? How many emails per day are sent by a specified department to our clients? How many emails per day are received by a specified department from our clients? How many emails per day are sent by an individual to our clients? Thanks Promodag: http://www.promod...

Logged-in user was not found in the Active Directory
Hey all, We just did a fresh install of CRM. Everything installed without errors, but when I try to access CRM via the server name I get a generic "Error - An error has occured. For more information please contact your system administrator." From the CRM server I can access is via localhost without any problems. The error that is logged in the event viewer is: Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft CRM Event Category: None Event ID: 2 Date: 10/13/2005 Time: 10:26:27 AM User: N/A Computer: SERVER Description: MSCRM Platform Error Report -----------------------------------...

Group Editing
Excel 2007 I would like to freeze the top row in all of the worksheets in a workbook. I remember from earlier versions of Excel that it is possible group all the sheets together, then edit one sheet and have that change show up on all sheets. That works if I actually change the contents of a cell, but it does not seem to work for something like freezing the top row of each worksheet. What is the best way to freeze the top row of each worksheet? Thanks for any help that you can offer! --Tom Sub freeze_line() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Workshee...

The same worksheet has different page numbers for different users
Hi all, I have a problem where two users opening the same file and having the same page set up, end up with printed documents of different page counts when viewed through print preview and when printed. The only difference is that one user is on a W2K machine, the other on Windows 95. Has anyone any suggestions? The first suggestion is quite obvious (upgrade the '95 system) - but would expect the difference in page lengths (I presume the '95 syste fits less data to the page, thus producing more pages) would b attributed to Win2000 having a better grasp of variable width fonts -- ...

copy protection
Hi I'd like to find out if this is possible in Excel. When creating an Adobe Acrobat file, the security options can be set so that no content copying or extraction allowed. Meaning, you cannot highlight text and right-click to copy, etc. Can this be done in Excel (or in Word for that matter) ? Steve Steve, Not in any way that will ultimately prevent a determined user. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Steve" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:#MYsaCmAEHA.916@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I'd like to find out if this is possible in Excel. > > When...

XP sp3: change user not allowed
Hello first of all, I have to say that all worked fine since this morning. I haven't changed anything, maybe it depends on one of the latest automatic update. Before today, when I clicked on change user (start > disconnect > change user) and chose another user, xp would let me in the other account. Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to the initial screen again (the one where all account are shown): it's like XP won't allow more than one user desktop to be open at a time. Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of ...

Bulk Import failures view for non-admin users
Hi, I got a requirement to show 'Failures' while clicking on Imports. CRM shows this only for System Administrators. Can we make it enable for other custom roles? if so how? Thanks in Advance Rakesh Narayan ...

protection #4
I have set protection on several sheets in a workbook to control where others can enter data. I set the cursor to move only to unlocked cells which works fine until I save it. When I reopen it the cursor can move anywhere in the sheet but you can only enter data in the unlocked cells. I have used this before and was able to keep the cursor from going to the locked cells. Is there a setting that I am missing? NV, That Enable Selection doesn't "stick" when you close and reopen the workbook. Use this in the workbook_Open Event (modify to suit) Private Sub Workbook_Open() ...

Trouble with protected sheets & formulas
Hello, I have a macro which operates on a worksheet that I have protected. There are some ranges in the worksheet which I have both locked an hidden and there are others for which only the formulas are hidden (bu the cells are not locked). My macro needs to work on some cells (enter formulas, etc.) where wish to hide the formulas the macro enters. These ranges I hav designated as hidden but not locked. The problem is, whenever I run my macro (which autofills for a give universe), I only have an accurate calculation for the first row o formulas entered in these hidden (but not locked) rang...

Worksheet protection XP vs. earlier version
Is there a compatibility problem with selective worksheet protection created in XP, if the user has to read the worksheet in an earlier Excel version? By "selective," I mean that allowed limited edits, such as formating cells or hiding a row. Yes, but only in so much as any protection options you apply in XP will be negated when opening the file in earlier versions of Excel, as you will be limited to whatever the protection options were in those earlier versions, and the protection applied will revert to standard protection. This is no different to any feature in a file from a...

Return a number in one cell to long hand text in another.
Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH RP "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0D9B8E3-3D66-4EA0-9184-57762BD663D6@microsoft.com... > Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents Go to Google and search the newsgroups for "spell number" On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:07:02 -0700, "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents ...

OK, another weird thing in my spreadsheets
For a couple of days now, any number I type into a cell goes automatically to hundredths (i.e., I type 4, it appears as 0.04). I have to type 4.0 to make a whole number. Where do I fix this? Thanks Go into Tools/Options and on the Edit sheet unselect "Fixed Decimal Places" "Susy" <susyh@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:0f2401c4a65f$4040a9a0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > For a couple of days now, any number I type into a cell > goes automatically to hundredths (i.e., I type 4, it > appears as 0.04). I have to type 4.0 to make a whole > number. Where do...