how do I prevent a worksheet from being copied in excel

yet allow users to select values in a defined range

Good evening kensanjose

You really need to supply more information about what you mean - cop
the file/sheets/ranges etc

Dominic

--
dominic
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1893

How do I prevent a worksheet from being copied in excel? Can I disable right
click within a file so that the sheet cannot be copied into another file and
manipulated? I want to give another user acccess to a specificed range in the
worksheet yet prevent them from changing the structure of the worksheet. In
short they should be able to only select values within cells, but should not
be able to compromise the integrity of the worksheet by copying and editing
into a separate worksheet

"dominicb" wrote:

> Good evening kensanjose
>
> You really need to supply more information about what you mean - copy
> the file/sheets/ranges etc
>
> DominicB
>

> --
> dominicb
> dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=385319

Good morning Kensanjose

You can achieve part of what you need to do.  Use Tools > Protection >
Protect Sheet to apply the protection.  Prior to doing this select the
cells that people are going to be able to edit and hit ctrl + 1.  Go to
the protection tab and uncheck the locked box.

You can disable the right click event by inserting this code into the
ThisWorkbook pane of the VBE:

Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeRightClick(ByVal Sh As Object, _
ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
Cancel = True
End Sub

However, users will still be able to copy a workbook through the menu
Edit > Move or Copy Sheet (use Tools > Protection > Protect Workbook to
prevent this) and keyboard shortcuts.  As such it is very difficult to
stop users from doing a whole range of things, and impossible to
control a worksheet so tightly that a determined person cannot
circumnavigate.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=385319

I don't think you can stop the determined user.

Any suggestion I would give would depend on macros.  Macros can be disabled by
the user whenever they open the workbook.

Heck, the user could even just copy the file using windows explorer.

kensanjose wrote:

> How do I prevent a worksheet from being copied in excel? Can I disable right
> click within a file so that the sheet cannot be copied into another file and
> manipulated? I want to give another user acccess to a specificed range in the
> worksheet yet prevent them from changing the structure of the worksheet. In
> short they should be able to only select values within cells, but should not
> be able to compromise the integrity of the worksheet by copying and editing
> into a separate worksheet
>
> "dominicb" wrote:
>

> > Good evening kensanjose
> >
> > You really need to supply more information about what you mean - copy
> > the file/sheets/ranges etc
> >
> > DominicB
> >

> > --
> > dominicb
> > dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=385319

--

Dave Peterson
0

Merging Workbooks with Multiple Worksheets
I've been searching for about an hour now and have yet to find the solution to my problem. I have 15 workbooks, i.e. Inventory 1, Inventory 2, Inventory 3. In each of these workbooks there are 5 sheets, Desktops, Laptops, Printers, Monitors, Hubs. On each sheet, the categories are applicable to the inventory. Essentially, these 15 workbooks are identical in format, with different data. I would like to merge all of the workbooks either into one workbook with 5 sheets that has all of the data from all of the workbooks.. or an Access database with all of the data from all of the workboo...

automate copying of mails in outlook
hi, how can i automate copying of mails in outlook public folders to C drive? thanks See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm for tools that may be able to help. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Lynn" <MarryLynn@yah00.c0m> wrote in message news:%2394KYEFBFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > hi, > how can i automate copying of mails in outlook public folders to C drive? > thanks > > is there ...

When I open up excel a worksheet that has been inputed opens up w.
How do I start excel with a blank worksheet Hi There is either some excel file in the starup folder or files are opened through Tools, Options, General Tab, "At startup open every file from folder:" (please note this option may vary since I am using a french version) HTH Cordially Pascal "EL GUAPO" <ELGUAPO@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: C033BB21-8298-46A6-8697-34B5F9BB56F0@microsoft.com... > How do I start excel with a blank worksheet No, that's not it. That does just what it says, it opens every file in that folder. H...

Why does my excel spreadsheet show ### in place of a sum?
For some reason, some autoSUM cells in my spreadsheet are showing up as "#" symbols even though they are correctly calculated in the function window... Any ideas? Try making the column wider. "S. Teichman" wrote: > For some reason, some autoSUM cells in my spreadsheet are showing up as "#" > symbols even though they are correctly calculated in the function window... > Any ideas? Typically the # characters indicate that the column is not wide enough to display the result. Try making the column wider. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - E...

How do I merge similar data across different excel worksheets?
If you have a unique key value that's on each sheet, you could use =vlookup() or =index(match()). You could look at Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html and http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html MK wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Macros in Excel
I have a question about macros...why does Excel open a workbook for a macro? I created 2 of them (I'm a beginner with Excel macros) and I noticed that when I run a macro another workbook opens with the macro name. Is there any way to prevent this annoying feature? I used to macros in WordPerfect eons ago and this never was an issue. Hi Karen, Don't you want to be able to use the macro in *any* workbook. To me that is what macros are all about, extending Excel, to provide facility that is not there, or should have been there. Correctly installed into personal.xls you wo...

Copy data into multiple workbooks
Within the QA Master workbook, the boss will have a list of questions (criteria) that will be mirrored in all employee workbooks and the QA Template. If the boss adds a criteria in the QA Master workbook, I need to add it to the QA Template workbook and all employee workbooks so he does not have to go through 80+ workbooks individually. If you can provide the code to do this for one cell in QA Master and place it in QA Template, I believe I can figure out how to get it to the employee workbooks. Also, will I need to open each workbook in order to place the new criteria int...

Copy from many cells and paste to one
I need to copy a range of cells (C7:C20) and past the contents into one cell (B4). the concatenate function is not the solution because I need the results to appear as separate lines in the cell (B4) when pasted. (leaving a "return" between lines) Weird I know but Ahem, "It's for a friend". ;) Thanks, Robert -- eoreality ------------------------------------------------------------------------ eoreality's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24549 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=381448 ...

Linked Text Boxes with Exact Objects copy/paste
Hello All, I am trying to change the layout of a 8.5" x 11" four page document to a two page 17" x 11" document. The four pager consist of four linked text boxes as pages with lots of graphics in each. When I rope the textbox plus the graphics, copy and then paste I only get the an empty textbox plus the graphics, the text is gone. I think this has something to do with the graphic objects Layout set to exact, but I would have to spend a few hours changing all of the objects to inline. Time is what I lack. Is there a way to do this. That is, copy and paste linked tex...

Copy formulas in Column
Hi, I have to copy numbers from cell a1, b1,c1...........z1 to a20,a21,a22,a23... so. for e.g-- a1 = 21 b1 = 23 c1 = 24 etc z1 = 40 i need to copy as follows:- a20 = a1 a21 = b1 a22 = c1 Is there an easy way to copy the numbers instead of typing one by one .... I have many records to copy..... Thanks for your kind help :) Meeru --Select the range A1:Z1 and copy --Select cell A20. Right click>PasteSpecial>check 'Transpose' and click OK -- Jacob "Meeru" wrote: > Hi, > > I have to copy numbers from cell a1, b1,c1...........

Excel Relative Reference
On Excel XP, how do you switch back to the normal column/row headings where it would equal A1 rather than the relative which is 1:1? Please let me know how I can fix this. Thanks, Trisha Hi Trisha, You probably refer to the Reference style: Tools>Options>General, uncheck R1C1 Reference Style -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Trisha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:332901c3fd54$8b9dca40$a001280a@phx.gbl... > On Excel XP, how do you switch back to the normal > column/row headings where it would equal A1 rather ...

How to copy Contacts data on my Notebook's Outlook 2007 to Addres Book of Outlook Express on desktop PC
I have entered most of my friends' data on my Notebook's Outlook 2007. However, on my home desktop PC, I'm using Outlook Express 6. How do I transfer the Notebook's Outlook Contacts to the Desktop's Outlook Express Address Book? I use Win XP on both machines. I was told Outlook stores its Contacts data in a Contacts Folder, while Outlook Express reads only files with wab extensions and it's tricky to Import a Contacts folder to a wab file. Pse help. Thank you. "Jimmy Hsu" <jimmyhsu@tifventures.com> wrote in message news:fjrb5f$pn2$1@maw...

EXCEL #37
�Podr�a algui�n explicarme para qu� sirve la Herramienta Solver y c�mo funciona? Gracias! Hola, solver te sirve para buscar resultados cambiando otros datos. Por ejemplo, tenes el total de ventas y costo, lo que te da un margen del 10%, con solver le podes pedir saber que cantidad de ventas necesitas para alcanzar un margen del 12% Si esto te ayudo por favor hace click en Yes, gracias "7C agotz" wrote: > ¿Podría alguién explicarme para qué sirve la Herramienta Solver y cómo > funciona? Gracias! > > > > ...

excel chart to tiff or eps format
Hello, I have created several detailed charts in excel for a paper that I am sending to a journal. The journal requires that my files have eps or tiff extensions. How do I convert the excel chart into tiff or eps? I have tried to 'print' to tiff with microsoft office document image writer , but the quality of the chart is too low. I also tried to copy and paste the graph into paint shop pro and to save it as .eps , but agai the quality is too low. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. Raoul In VBA you can use ActiveChart.Export "C:\test\MyChart.tif"...

Sharing Excel files
I'm sharing a file on our network (approx 1mb in size). occasionally, the print areas are completely cleared. aside from user intervention, is there anything that can cause this? Not sure about Excel 2000, but in Exel 2002 there is a sharing functio you have to turn on. From you discription, you do not have it turne on. Tools > Share Workbook... Most of the options that come up are self-explainitory, but you ma want to review the help files are keeping tracking of a change histor if you want to do that ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http...

How do I delete cells in Excel without changing the data in others
I want to get rid of some of the rows in my spreadsheet but the data in the ones I am leaving behind are linked by formulas? As soon as I delete them all the data goes from the the others. Gemma, I may not understand your situation. An example of what I think you're saying is: Cell A2: A1+1. You want to delete cell A1, but leave A2 with the value it currently has. If this is the case, you need to copy A2 and the, using paste special, paste the value back into A2. This way A2 no longer has any formula at all and will remain unchanged when you delete A1. Art "G...

Excel:I set the font color to be "Red". Next time file is open, f.
Say I sent the font color to Red in the cell. The next time I open the file, the font color in the cell changes? Why Maybe you didn't save the file? >-----Original Message----- >Say I sent the font color to Red in the cell. The next time I open the file, >the font color in the cell changes? Why >. > ...

Excel 2003
Hi! I often work with spreadsheets of 4-10 columns and as many as 400 rows. Lately (maybe since I loaded 2003, I can't remember) whenever I try t copy or cut large numbers of cells I get the message: "The picture is too large and will be truncated." I used to cut and copy large numbers of cells in Excel for XP all th time...can anyone help? thanks! Greg -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm the same guy who posted the question... ...but here's the thing I've since figured out: Even though I get that message, Excel still copies all my data to...

Excel cell format #2
how can i display preceding zeros in excel without formatting as text? In article <5CBDC357-B0B2-49C2-906C-73E94C6172B9@microsoft.com>, "rockfam8" <rockfam8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how can i display preceding zeros in excel without formatting as text? Precede your entry with an apostrophe. For example... '012345 Hope this helps! Or give it a custom format like 00000 (as many 0's as you need) rockfam8 wrote: > > how can i display preceding zeros in excel without formatting as text? -- Dave Peterson ...

Excel 2000 #2
How come the Move or Copy Sheet under Edit is grayed out for this particular data file? I can't access it. Is the workbook protected? Tools|Protection|Unprotect workbook? (You may need a password) Jerick wrote: > > How come the Move or Copy Sheet under Edit is grayed out for this particular > data file? I can't access it. -- Dave Peterson ...

deleting phrases in Excel and/or Word
My question is for beginners but I am working with spreadsheets and documents which contains a lot of the same words I want to delete. Can anyone please tell me how I can do this? THANK YOU BEFOREHAND FOR YOUR HELP! Here's one quick play using SUBSTITUTE for progressive deletion .. Assume text data is running in A1 down Enter the exact words/phrases (case sensitive) you want deleted in say K1 down. Eg assuming you have 3 words to delete: in K1: the, in K2: Oops, in K3: milk Then place in B1: =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,INDEX($K:$K,COLUMN(A1)),"")) Copy B1 across by 3* cols to ...

Office / Excel 2003
Hello, Hope someone here can help me out. Upgraded from Excel 97 (Word too) to Office Pro 2003 installing everything on an XP Pro desktop connected to a network running Microsoft SBS2000. Now, when I simply open Excel, I get: "The file cannot be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with the file.". But I'm not trying to open any file, just Excel. HELP! I get the same thing in trying to open an old file, saved in Excel 97. If I add anything to one cell (or two, just something at all) and then save the file it saves it but when I go to open it with the O...

Formula for computing work time in Excel
Hi, For instance, A1 = 8:20, B1 = 16:30. I need to compute in C1 the following: B1 - A1 - 0.5 hour. What is the formula? If I use formula B1 - A1 - 0:30 I get invalid value. Thanks, -- Alex Vinokur email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn =B1-A1-TIME(0,30,0) -- HTH Bob Phillips "Alex Vinokur" <alexvn@big-foot.com> wrote in message news:uGyW$ZgvFHA.2008@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > For instance, A1 = 8:20, B1 = 16:30. > I need to compute in C1 the fo...

why are some gridlines in an excel worksheet dark and some light?
I have lots of data entered==6-700 different names, address etc. Some of the gridlines printed dark, some were light and some were dotted..How do I make them uniform? Select your entire grid and set the borders the way you want them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Joyal" <Joyal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9074E731-EBD6-4C49-A780-ABFA29ACD281@microsoft.com... >I have lots of data entered==6-700 different names, address etc. Some of >the > gridlines printed dark, some were light and some were dotted..How do I > make > ...

Copy Journal Analysis Information
When copying a Posted Journal, all the accounts will be copied in the new Journal correctly, but if the analytical accounting is used the analysis dimensions are not copied to the new journal..?? This feature is very important because the user does not want to enter the analysis information for recurring or copied journals. -- Raze Bahrain ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow thi...