How do I merge two cells without deleting data from the cell?

I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.

You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
ampersand

=A1&" "&B1

however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
never seen a power user using merging

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Batmans_Wife" wrote:

> I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
> merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
> multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
> data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
> deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.
0
PeoSjoblom (789)
5/12/2005 3:58:05 PM
Thank you so much for sending me this formula.  It worked perfectly and did
exactly what I needed.  I really appreciate your quick, helpful response.

Sincerely,
Michelle

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
> ampersand
>
> =A1&" "&B1
>

> however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
> it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
> never seen a power user using merging
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "Batmans_Wife" wrote:
>
> > I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
> > merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
> > multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
> > data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
> > deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.
To concatenate in place, you can use a macro like the one found here:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/mergedata.html

In article <960DC31C-EDD3-4871-8CB9-79A7CC1E08F2@microsoft.com>,
 Batmans_Wife <Batmans_Wife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
> merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
> multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
> data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
> deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/12/2005 5:05:11 PM
Thanks for sending the link to your page with the macros and instructions.
It's very detailed and thorough.  Although I was able to figure it out with
the formula that Peo posted earlier, I appreciate your further information
and will keep it handy for future use.

Sincerely,
Michelle

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> To concatenate in place, you can use a macro like the one found here:
>
>     http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/mergedata.html
>

> In article <960DC31C-EDD3-4871-8CB9-79A7CC1E08F2@microsoft.com>,
>  Batmans_Wife <Batmans_Wife@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
> > merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
> > multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
> > data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
> > deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.

Are there any characters that can be added between the &" and the "& so that
the combined cells can appear as a list instead of a line?  For instance, I
have two sentences in two different cells.  I want to put in one cell, but
have one above the other with  spacing in between.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
> ampersand
>
> =A1&" "&B1
>

> however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
> it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
> never seen a power user using merging
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "Batmans_Wife" wrote:
>
> > I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
> > merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
> > multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
> > data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
> > deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.
You can use:

=A1&CHAR(10)&B1

Be sure to format the cell as having wrapped text, otherwise you'll
just see a small symbol between the values from A1 and B1.

--
Paul

- Paul
Paul's Profile: 1697
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=192711

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

0
Paul
4/3/2010 7:59:01 PM
This worked perfectly, however, I now need to put a comma between the two
names - i.e. currently I have Smith John in one cell, and need Smith, John in
one cell.  Is there a way to do that?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
> ampersand
>
> =A1&" "&B1
>

> however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
> it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
> never seen a power user using merging
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "Batmans_Wife" wrote:
>
> > I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
> > merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
> > multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
> > data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
> > deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.
When all else fails, think about it....

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Stephie" <Stephie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This worked perfectly, however, I now need to put a comma between the two
> names - i.e. currently I have Smith John in one cell, and need Smith, John
> in
> one cell.  Is there a way to do that?
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>
>> You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
>> ampersand
>>
>> =A1&" "&B1
>>

>> however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than
>> what
>> it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I
>> have
>> never seen a power user using merging
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peo Sjoblom
>>
>> "Batmans_Wife" wrote:
>>
>> > I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells,
>> > alignment,
>> > merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
>> > multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left
>> > most
>> > data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one
>> > without
>> > deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.

0
Don
5/10/2010 5:52:48 PM
As long as your original data is still there, you can use another formula:

=A1&", "&B1

If all you have is the cell with the result, you could use:

=substitute(a1," ",", ")

Stephie wrote:

> This worked perfectly, however, I now need to put a comma between the two
> names - i.e. currently I have Smith John in one cell, and need Smith, John in
> one cell.  Is there a way to do that?
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>

>>You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
>>ampersand
>>
>>=A1&" "&B1
>>

>>however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
>>it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
>>never seen a power user using merging
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Peo Sjoblom
>>
>>"Batmans_Wife" wrote:
>>

>>>I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
>>>merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
>>>multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
>>>data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
>>>deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
> ampersand
>
> =A1&" "&B1
>

> however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
> it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
> never seen a power user using merging
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "Batmans_Wife" wrote:
>
> > I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
> > merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
> > multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
> > data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
> > deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.
Then use this instead.

=A1&B1

Jess12 wrote:

> That works except now i have a lot of spaces between the information.  How
> would you get rid of those spaces
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>

>>You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
>>ampersand
>>
>>=A1&" "&B1
>>

>>however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
>>it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
>>never seen a power user using merging
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Peo Sjoblom
>>
>>"Batmans_Wife" wrote:
>>

>>>I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
>>>merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
>>>multiple data values.  Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
>>>data only."  I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
>>>deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.

0
Bob
6/1/2010 6:02:32 PM
Hi Gord,
Is there a way I can specify so that the function will:
a) change the results from target cell to next door neighboring cell as values
b) Separate out each string as a line within the same cell, as if I had used
the alt+Enter option myself?

Thanks,

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> You can copy the UDF into a general module in your Personal.xls which will
> make it available for all open workbooks.
>
> You could copy/paste it into a general module in a new workbook, save that
> workbook as an Add-in which you would load through Tools>Add-ins.
>
> I prefer the Add-in method so's I don't have to preface the Function with
> the workbook name.
>
> i.e.  if saved in Personal.xls  you must enter
>
> =Personal.xls!ConCatRange(range)
>
> If stored in the add-in   =ConCatRange(range)  is sufficient.
>

> Gord
>
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 06:22:00 -0800, rapid1 <rapid1@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Works perfectly Gord - and please excuse my noobness, but how do I make the
> >function available to all spreadsheets that I open without have to recreate
> >the function each time?
> >
> >Ray D
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Not without a User Defined Function like this one.
> >>
> >> Function ConCatRange(CellBlock As Range) As String
> >> Dim Cell As Range
> >> Dim sbuf As String
> >>     For Each Cell In CellBlock
> >>         If Len(Cell.text) > 0 Then sbuf = sbuf & Cell.text & " "
> >>    ' for comma-delimited change above " " to  ","
> >>     Next
> >>     ConCatRange = Left(sbuf, Len(sbuf) - 1)
> >> End Function
> >>
> >> Usage is:   =concatrange(A1:Z1)
> >>
> >> Nore:  blank cells will be ignored.
> >>
> >> For similar methods with code see this search result from google
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6ao6k4
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

2.   Change the de-limiter from " " or "," to Chr(10) and set the cell to
wrap text.

If Len(Cell.Text) > 0 Then sbuf =3D sbuf & Cell.Text & Chr(10)

1.  The function cannot copy anything to anywhere.

=46unctions return results to the cell in which they are written.

You can manually Copy and paste special>values to next door cell.

Gord

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:15:12 -0700, GonzaloRC
<GonzaloRC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Gord,
>Is there a way I can specify so that the function will:
>a) change the results from target cell to next door neighboring cell as =
values
>b) Separate out each string as a line within the same cell, as if I had =
used=20
>the alt+Enter option myself?
>
>Thanks,
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> You can copy the UDF into a general module in your Personal.xls which =
will
>> make it available for all open workbooks.
>>=20
>> You could copy/paste it into a general module in a new workbook, save =
that
>> workbook as an Add-in which you would load through Tools>Add-ins.
>>=20
>> I prefer the Add-in method so's I don't have to preface the Function =
with
>> the workbook name.
>>=20
>> i.e.  if saved in Personal.xls  you must enter
>>=20
>> =3DPersonal.xls!ConCatRange(range)
>>=20
>> If stored in the add-in   =3DConCatRange(range)  is sufficient.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Gord
>>=20
>> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 06:22:00 -0800, rapid1 =
<rapid1@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>=20
>> >Works perfectly Gord - and please excuse my noobness, but how do I =
make the=20
>> >function available to all spreadsheets that I open without have to =
recreate=20
>> >the function each time?
>> >
>> >Ray D

>>=20
>>=20

0
Gord
6/2/2010 6:30:09 PM
Thanks Gord...

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> 2.   Change the de-limiter from " " or "," to Chr(10) and set the cell to
> wrap text.
>
> If Len(Cell.Text) > 0 Then sbuf = sbuf & Cell.Text & Chr(10)
>
> 1.  The function cannot copy anything to anywhere.
>
> Functions return results to the cell in which they are written.
>
> You can manually Copy and paste special>values to next door cell.
>

> Gord
>
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:15:12 -0700, GonzaloRC
> <GonzaloRC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Gord,
> >Is there a way I can specify so that the function will:
> >a) change the results from target cell to next door neighboring cell as values
> >b) Separate out each string as a line within the same cell, as if I had used
> >the alt+Enter option myself?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> You can copy the UDF into a general module in your Personal.xls which will
> >> make it available for all open workbooks.
> >>
> >> You could copy/paste it into a general module in a new workbook, save that
> >> workbook as an Add-in which you would load through Tools>Add-ins.
> >>
> >> I prefer the Add-in method so's I don't have to preface the Function with
> >> the workbook name.
> >>
> >> i.e.  if saved in Personal.xls  you must enter
> >>
> >> =Personal.xls!ConCatRange(range)
> >>
> >> If stored in the add-in   =ConCatRange(range)  is sufficient.
> >>

> >> Gord

> .

Excel Merge
I have been given an assignment to do a "mail merge" in Excel. The names and addresses are in a document in Excel and the person does not want to have to have the information typed again. Is this possible? I believe a mail merge would have to be done in Word or Access. By the way, I am using a Mac. Thanks for your help. You may want to read some tips for mailmerge. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. cburke@mainelegal.net wrote: > > I ...

Averaging a Value between Two Serial Dates
Hi all, I have two spreadsheets. The first spreadsheet contains two columns, one for start date/time (in serial format) and the second for stop date/time (in serial format). The second spreadsheet contains two columns. One containing a serial date/time and the other containing a meteorological value (eg. temperature). I want Excel to read the start and stop date/time from the first spreadhseet and then search the second spreadsheet for all temperature values which were recorded during this time frame. Lastly, I want Excel to average these values. Is this possible using a single Excel func...

Test and consequences for adding and deleting W2K8 DC in 2003 domain
Hello, I have a forest and a domain with 3 Windows 2003 Server DCs. In order to make a test during 2 weeks, I have to install and promote a Windows 2008 Server R2 into DC (without particulary role). I know I will have to do an ADPREP with the W2K8 R2 DVD but forest and domain will not change their level. 2 weeks after I will retrograde the server as member and suppress it from the network (It will leave only W2K3 severs). Do you know if there could be a problem for the AD architecture ? Thanks in advance. Christophe Hello Christophe, Answered in the same posting...

Sorting Data #8
Does anyone know how to sort a column with a second word inside a cell? Create a "helper" column to extract the word(s) of interest. Then, sort on the helper column. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6551CBFF-5087-499A-873B-1DAAF41AA5E5@microsoft.com... Does anyone know how to sort a column with a second word inside a cell? What function is the one I use to extract...

Find Oldest date based on two criteria.
I am having an issue trying to figure out this issue.. I have tried a MIN, but it doesnt seem to work correctly.. I have three columns One with a State, one with a Code and one with a date. The Code can have say EA12 EA23 EA45 and FG12 FG34 FG56 What I need to have happen is that when State= NY and CODE Starts with EA find me the oldest date in the column. Example A B C NY EA12 1/1/2009 NY EA24 2/28/2009 CT EA12 3/2/2009 NY FG34 4/5/2009 ME FG45 5/1/2009 NY EA12 ...

Deleting Duplicate Records 03-20-08
Hi, I've got my duplicates records query and now I want to delete these 1100 dups in my table of 12,000+ records. Can you please explain how I can easily delete these duplicate records in my table now that I have found them in my query. Thanks very much. Dave dberger16@comcast.net Use a subquery to identify which duplicate records to delete, and which one to keep. This example assumes: - a table named Table1; - a primary key named ID; - "duplicate" is defined as same Company, Address, and City; - you want to keep the lowest ID value. DELETE FROM Table1 WHERE ID <>...

sync Outlook data between multiple computers
Looking for a way to sync both contacts and caledar on two different computers (single user). A tablet PC and a laptop running Win XP w/either Office 2002 or 2003 with peer to peer network. Do you have IR on both? At any rate, see if one of these solutions works for you: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer rweaver <anonymous@discussions....

Merging excel files
Hello everyone, I have one excel file for every day of the month since June 2003. I would like to create one file per month and merge the daily file into it...is there another way to do it other than copy/paste? Please help there is a lot of files what are the names of your files "Raul V" <pacificinet@aol.com> wrote in message news:0fa401c377e3$026dd5e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, I have one excel file for every day of the > month since June 2003. I would like to create one file per > month and merge the daily file into it...is there another > way t...

How do I dynamically retrieve the cell address of the last cell t.
I want to write to an excel file that already has data in it using matlab xlswrite function. I found that I can write to the excel file without overwriting information that is already there. So I was wondering if there is a way in excel to retrieve the address or index of the last cell containing data. Nancy There are several ways of doing this depending on the layout of your data. Say you have data in all the cells of A1:A10. No blank cells in that range. You can use: LastCellAddress = Range("A1").End(xlDown).Address(0,0) This will give the address of A10. If you...

Data Validation #23
Rather than writing some VBA to restrict entries into a cell I thought I would use the data validation! All I am trying to do is restrict the user to having to select from the from pick from list box. I believe I have set things up correctly, but I cannot stop the use from adding spaces! The use is restricted from using his own codes, but I cannot seem to stop him from manually adding (in error) unnecessary spaces either before or after his selection. What happens is he selects from the list, but he can them manually edit the cell. It does not allow him to use entries that are not ...

Data manipulation
I am trying to manipulate a fairly simple weekly schedule. On Sheet 1, column A contains names, Row 1 contains Days of the week. The cells in column B contain a number indicating the shift that the person is supposed to work. It looks like this: Sun Joe 6 Bill 7 Bob 7 Frank 11 On Sheet 2, I want to turn this data around so that the column headings are the shift time and underneath there is a list of people on each shift. It should look like: 6 7 11 Joe Bill Frank Bob Unfortunately, there may be a different numb...

using Access Data
I have a slight problem with Charts in Excel & Access. I'm creating charts that can use up to 50,000 data points (if not more) and in Excel there is significant lag time (up to 2 minutes just to rescale an axis or change the title). I decided to try and use Access to organize the data, but creating a chart in Access is a pain because there is a 4000 data point limit per series (really stupid). My question is: Is there a way to link the data from Access to an Excel chart without importing the data (importing would just cause my initial problem)? I do know some basic...

Marking deleted items as read #2
Hi, Does anyone know if there is a rule combination that will mark messages that I delete as read. When I delete stuff it really bugs me that it stills marks the items as unread. I don't care! Thats why I deleted them! If anyone knows how to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it Many thanks Simon Simon, My first question would be, if you are deleting unread messages, why would you be concerned if they are marked "read" or "unread"?? Just empty the deleted items folder and be done with it. If there is a concern, then go into the deleted items folder and selec...

can i use filters to compare data instead of vlookup?
I have to compare membership lists to identify if customers belong to certain groups. Currently, I have been using Vlookup but I notice that there are too many nuisances. Could I use a filter to compare two membership lists and give me a more accurate answer? Maybe try setting up a new sheet with List1, and entering a new column indicating List1 in each row......then adding List 2 at the bottom and entering List2 in the new column for each row in that section............then do Data > Filter > AutoFilter and check the arrows at the tops of the columns to filter from there...........

Deleted Exchange accounts reappear #2
We have an infrequent issue where Exchange 2000 and 2003 mailboxes sometimes reappear after being deleted. (Some of the users accounts are NT based, and some are AD.) Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a remedy. ...

copy text to specific cell
In one cell I have a String And in another cell I have a reference to a cell. How do I put the String into the referenced cell? A Formula will return a value to the cell that holds the formula. You'd need some VBA to do what you want. dim myStrCell as range dim myAddrCell as range with activesheet set mystrcell = .range("a1") set myaddrcell = .range("b9") .range(myaddrcell.value).value = mystrcell.value end with --- This has no validation at all! If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritch...

Data is populating the same in EVERY record in the DB
I'm trying to assist a user who changed the name of a field in a form. After doing so, the information she enters into the field populates in EVERY record in the DB. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of this and how to correct it? I know absolutely nothing about Access (or any other DB for that matter). -- Thanks, Todd On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:36:02 -0700, Todd <Todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to assist a user who changed the name of a field in a form. After >doing so, the information she enters into the field populates in EVERY >rec...

Delete Schema
I've created a new schema field, but have not yet published it. Is there any way to delete it? Hi Cindy, I saw your posting, and would appreciate it if you can let me know how you created a new schema field, and how would I publish it? I would like to add a database/table, have the data synch with the Outlook, and configure it for replication. Thanks in advance. "Cindy MIkeworth" <cindy@tas-in.com> wrote in message news:<1025o4mq7rb7k5f@corp.supernews.com>... > I've created a new schema field, but have not yet published it. Is there > any way to delet...

Can you do an e-mail based merge in Pub 2003?
I may be bonkers but I believe before I loaded the beta of Pub 2003 I could merge to an e-mail format in Publisher. The new wizard is good but only offers printing and help dosent help... Is this a capability or not? Publisher now lets you create an HTML publication for emailing through Outlook. It still won't allow you to mail-merge to email. "Thomas Loker" <thomas@loker.com> wrote in message news:#FRZ444WDHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I may be bonkers but I believe before I loaded the beta of Pub 2003 I could > merge to an e-mail format in Publisher. The n...

Can you sort Excel data by font color?
I heard that you can sort Excel data by font or column colors. Is this true and how do you do it? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm and http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Help Me Sort" <Help Me Sort@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:EF1E9176-5818-4185-9DD7-A74A613914E2@microsoft.com... >I heard that you can sort Excel data by font or column colors. Is this >true > and how do you do it? Only with VBA or helper columns: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByC...

In Microsoft Outlook how can you delete email without opening it?
I am an Outlook Express user and you can click on email once and delete without opening it or double click to open it. Is there a way to delete without opening in Microsoft Outlook? Hello Corey, you wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005 06:48:02 -0700: > I am an Outlook Express user and you can click on email once and delete > without opening it or double click to open it. Is there a way to delete > without opening in Microsoft Outlook? Sorry, but I don't understand your question really. Which program is used? Outlook Express or Outlook? -- Best Regards Christian Goeller Hello C...

Excel Data Connections to Access Queries: Limits?
I have an Access 2007 database with data connections to: + Sharepoint Lists + SMS SQL tables/views I've written Access queries that use tables from those data connections. I want to use Excel to connect to those queries in the Access database to run various reports (such as charts, lists, etc...) However, I'm having 2 problems: 1) In Excel, when I go to Data / Get External Data / From Access, I cannot see all of the queries listed in the Access Database. 2) The queries I do see only return a small subset of records. (I've tested the query within Access, and I should get 17...

Mail merging from Excel to Publisher or Word (office XP)
I am a teacher in a Sheffield UK school teaching GCSE. Part of the requirement this year is to mail merge into either Publisher or Word from an Excel spreadsheet. Did the same last year with no problem (office 2000) but with Office XP now have strange results. Mail merged figures (results of formula) now unexpectedly develop either 4 decimal places when merged to Word, or up to eight in Publisher. i.e 14.67 goes to 14.6667 or 14.66666667, This in spite of formating to two decimal places and/or roundup. My solution is to manually convert the numbers to text but this can't be right...

How do I create columns in a catalog merge?
How do I re-arrange the merge fields into columns instead of rows? (Top to bottom - 3 columns per page) Resize the "catalog merge area" until it says it will repeat 3 across. Resize the merge area vertically so it says Area will repeat 1 down. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "dcallaway" <dcallaway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56B87903-2B55-46F8-9A19-5089F9A1C2C4@microsoft.com... > How do I re-arrange the merge fields into columns instead of rows? (Top to > bottom...

Counting of cells with a specific color filled
Hello experts, I have an excel workhseet where different cells are filled with different colors. I need to count no of cells in a specific column with a specific colour filled. For example i need to count how many cells are filled with green color and how many with red etc. What formula i should use? Thanks in advance, Atiq use the COUNTIF() function, the criteria is whatever was used in conditional formatting to change the color fill of the cell. If conditional formatting was not used to color the cell, you can't do it. (unless you use Visual Basic programming) ...