how do I make a cell in Excel required to be populated?

I am attempting to use Excel for a form I am creating and need to make
certain cells required.  I am unfamiliar with Macros, but am thinking this
may be the only way to do this.  Thoughts?
0
tia (26)

You could use a macro that looks at those cells and counts how many are filled
in.  But since macros are new, how about an alternative?

Use an adjacent cell.
Put a formula like:
=if(c3<>"","","<----Please fill in this cell")
(I used D3 for this)

Then format it in a nice bright bold red.

The user sees the warning immediately.

If you have formulas that depend on all that cell being filled in, you could
even:

=if(c3="","Cannot calculate until C3 is completed",yourformulahere)

To kind of disable the worksheet's function.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Excel file automatically entering string in cell for each row
I have a really simple Excel file that is being used for a Credit Card Log. The user enters data for each purchase order, the data that is kept is, PONum PODate POVendor PODescription POAmount POObjectCode POComplete (True/False) POCarryover (True/False) Each cardholder has their own file, and this file is processed into a SQL Server database. I also need to store the a unique identifier for each cardholder with each record. How can I have Excel automatically fill in a cell with predetermined data (can be on a different sheet) for each row that the user enters data on? I hope I am cle...

Using validation to make data appear or not
I have an array of cells that all rely on a "Y" or "N" value in another cell, and an IF statement to either make the data appear or not appear. It works fine, except that when the data appears and fill, the borders pop up fine. Some of them, however refuse to disappear the same way the data does, yet others do just fine. This includes cell color formatting, which I am able to make stay or go. I just seem to have a problem with some cell retaining persistent border, which go away completely if I remove them, but that isn't what I want. I want them to beh...

drop-down list in excel
how do I clean up or modify the contents of a drop-down list for any given cell? Radman Wrote: > how do I clean up or modify the contents of a drop-down list for any > given cell? If you used a range for your list you need to go to that range and modify it, if you want to change the list in the dropdown click the cells you want changed and do your data validation and assign a new range to the cells -- davesexcel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31708 Vie...

combining cells and shifting
Is there a command in Excel (Office 2000) to combine the contents of adjoining/highlighted cells and move every thing else over 1? Sometimes when address files are parsed, as they are read from a text file into Excel, an extra comma can throw things off by 1 (or 2). So, for example, I would like to highlight C12 and D12, combine their contents into C12, and then move all the other cells on row 12 to the right of D12 to the left one cell. If not a command, how about a macro? I recorded one but it used absolute cell references rather than relative. Thanks for any help on this. Sub Shift...

strange thing when cutting and pasting in excel
HI, I am dealing with a block of data that is 8X12. The data is generated on a networked piece of lab equipment and I save the results into my folder. When I get back to my workstation to retrieve the data, I open the folder and then perform "move or copy" to copy this opened worksheet into another workbook. Then I copy data from one worksheet to another in the same notebook so I can arrange the data. The strange thing is when I highlight the block of data and copy and then move to the other worksheet and paste only 10 of the columns are pasted. I need to return to the previou...

Calendar auto-populates meeting requests issue
Hello. Issue involving 1 user. When a meeting request is sent to him, it auto-populates in the calendar in Outlook 2003. When he accepts the meeting from the email, a double entry is placed in the calendar. I can't figure out why the calendar auto fills in the appointment as soon as the email is received by exchange 2000 into the users inbox and how to stop it. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks. Mike ...

Excel Forms #2
I need to learn how to use ActiveX controls for an Excel form, as wel as just having them available on the worksheet. For example, I need t have a Drop Box that has A, B, C, and D in it, and depending on what i selected, the second Drop box and the list box display different items Radio buttons, check boxes, they all have me flumoxed, confused frustrated, etc. I don't need detailed information here, just a site that would help. Thanks, Chri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html HTH. jeff >-----Original Message----- ...

CopyFromRecordset only pastes 1823 characters in a cell!?
Range(FirstDataRange & "3").CopyFromRecordset rstData That's it. This is my problem line. The last field in the recordset is a MEMO field stored in an Access db. The field contains about 50-odd thousand characters. Whent the above line executes, the cell containing the last field of the recordset only contains 1823 of the last field's value. range("fc10")=rstdata.Fields(158).Value This line actually works differently. It copies 32,767 (the cell's limitation) of the last field's value, which is what I was expecting from the CopyFromRecordset fu...

Alternatives to Excel
I have put together a spreadseet and posted it online for the use of work colleagues. A few of them have reported to me that they don't have excel on their computers, is there another program around that will allow the opening and editing of excel spreadsheets, i have looked at excelviewer and currently have a link to openoffice on my website but feel this is unnecassarily large for my purposes and i would be very happy to find a program that will do what i need and that is up to about 10Mb in size. >-----Original Message----- >I have put together a spreadseet and posted i...

Excel Organizational Chart
How do I change margins, paper size and print? Hi debrag3d! File > Print Preview > Margins Button File > Page Setup -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "debrag3d@comcast.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:505801c402f1$e5088050$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I change margins, paper size and print? ...

writing on an excel file
my employer emailed me an expense report and i downloaded excel. i can't seem to write on this document. is it because its a read only fiel? how do i convert it to be able to edit and write in my expenxes? HELP!!!!!! is it because it's read only ? - check with properties under explorer. either change it there, or save as a different name Steve On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 18:06:02 +0100, RITZ <RITZ@discussions.microsoft.com= > = wrote: > my employer emailed me an expense report and i downloaded excel. i can= 't = > seem > to write on this document. is it because i...

Excel automatically changing my formula
Hello, This is a very annoying issue I have run in to and I don't know how to work around it. I have designed a sheet with 5 rows of blank cells followed by 2 rows which sum up the previous 5. So the formulas work like this: Cell | Formula A1 | (empty) A2 | (empty) A3 | (empty) A4 | (empty) A5 | (empty) A6 | "=sum(A1:A4)" A7 | "=sum(A1:A5)" The idea is that the 6th row sums the first 4 and the 7th row sums the first 5 rows. Users enter data in the blank cells and the last two rows give them two different summaries. The problem is that Excel wants to "fix"...

copy excel paste to word
I want some code that will copy certain cells in excel and paste them in a desired format in word. I can get it to open a new word document but I can't paste the cells into it. thanks, ...

Can Excel add one number to a cell for every page printed?
I have to print my blank Purchase Orders out of Excel. Is there a way to have the P.O. Number add one to it for every page printed? Now I manually change it and print one then change it and print one Hi Wendy You can use a macro for this This wil print 5 pages of the activesheet with the pagenumber in A1 Sub test() Dim a As Integer For a = 1 To 5 Range("a1").Value = a & " of 5" ActiveSheet.PrintOut Next a End Sub Or this example that will place the number in the Footer ' From Vasant Nanavati Sub PrintCopies() Dim i As Long For i = 1 To 5 With...

Stacked Data Charts from Excel
I have two columns of data - the first is a set of dates, i.e., 2/4/08, 3/4/08; the second column contains 4 different values depicting incidents that occurred on the corresponding dates. I want to display a horizontal axis of months from June 08 through March 2010, and a vertical axis of numbers of incidents. The objective is to show how many incidents if each type occurred each month, stacked up for a total quantity of incidents per month. I have just up an EXCEL 2007 file for you at:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ Item Number 80 towards the top of my home page. This is...

Excel 2000 and Excel 2003
I have a Pivot table that was created in Excel 2000. I now have Excel 2003 and I've noticed some alignment errors when there are zero values displayed. Essentially, you have nested values with a subtotal running above (see example) New York 500 1 100 2 100 3 100 4 100 5 100 500 represents the total of subcategories 1-5. When there are all zero values, the result in Excel 2003 is shown b...

How to add cell range that is excluded from VB script
I do have a code that automatically make the text capitalized. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo Error_handler With Target If Not .HasFormula Then Application.EnableEvents = False If Target.Row = 10 Then Target.Value = UCase(Target.Value) Target.Value = UCase(Target.Value) Application.EnableEvents = True End If End With Error_handler: Resume Next End Sub How to add a range of cells that is excluded from this cript? Bart Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "10:10,A11,B12,H19:M22" ...

Apostrophes are displayed in Export to Excel from Smartlist
When you export smartlists to Excel, Apostrophes show up in front of all the text fields. This is very painful because it does not allow us to use tools in Excel such as VLOOKUP. Basically when you do a VLOOKUP on the field for Customer number and they are look for customer beginning with 's' this does not work because of the ' in front of the number. The Apostrophe is not in Smartlist so it should not be in Excel. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the ...

Copy-Paste Chart into Word from Excel 2007
In Excel 2003 I was able to copy a chart on one worksheet that was created from data on another worksheet in the same workbook and then paste that chart (paste special) into Word. In Excel 2007 (workbook converted from Excel 2003), I am unable to copy the chart at all, much less paste it into Word. Can anyone help with this? Cannot reproduce; works fine for me no problems at all. "Sue O'Donnell" wrote: > In Excel 2003 I was able to copy a chart on one worksheet that was created > from data on another worksheet in the same workbook and then paste that char...

Which is slower, Excel 2007 or graph paper and a quill pen?
Could someone explain what the deal is with doing a simple paste values in Excel 2007? I thought it was supposed to be faster, what with using both CPU cores and all. Instead, the same operation that would take 10 seconds in 2003 on the same machine now goes for 10 minutes before telling me there's not enough resources? What I am trying to do is concatenate a string of about 60,000 8 digit account numbers. Each number is in one row in column A. In column B I have a formula like ="'" & A1 &"',". In cell C1 I have a formula =B1. In C2 through...

Lotus 123 save as excel workbook and maintain formatting? #2

How do I calculate "x+x=2x" using Excel?
How do I calculate "x+x=2x" using Excel? I mean, how would I calculate x+x without having to assign a number to x? If I put: A 1 x 2 x 3 =a1+a2 ( I get the error #VALUE!) ...I want it to show "2x". How do i do that? Hi Mel what do you want to see if A2 has a "y" in it? here's one option that might meet your needs ... =IF(A1=A2,"2"&A1,A1&"+"&A2) Cheers JulieD "mel" <mel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:598FB434-CF9F-4E96-896B-C92B26039C18@microsoft.com... >I mean, how wou...

how to make a budget
:( My husband owns a propane business and wants me to build a budget fo our customers. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?? I wa told Excel would be a good place to start but how??:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com spazpup02 < wrote: > :( My husband owns a propane business and wants me to build a budget for > our customers. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?? I was > told Excel would be a good place to start but how??:confused: > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > More info would help...

Excel 2008 hanges when deleting cells or rows
Anyone know of a problem with Excel 2008 hanging when deleting? I have a large spreadsheet with all my banking history in it Today after doing a statement download to a .csv and then cutting and pasting into the spreadsheet I tried to delete a few repeated lines and got an hourglass. Eventually I had to kill off Excel. I repeated the cut and paste then did the same delete and had exactly the same problem. deleting just a single cell does the same. Next time I saved after the paste, shut down Excel and restarted again, same problem. I can navigate around the sheet OK, edit cells OK, but as soon...

Problems making mde office 2003
I have an Access database done originally on Access 2000 and I made an MDE file for our users to run. Some of the users now have Office 2003 and the MDE will not run as it shows an error of "Requested type library or wizard is not a VBA Project". Yet if they run the standard database (not mde) on 2003 it runs fine. I then read some articles and using access 2003, converted the database from 2000 to 2003 but when I tried to create the MDE file it just locks up and does nothing. I did compile the modules first and there are no errors when I do this. Any help would be great...