how do I import custom Excel buttons?

I just got a new computer at work.  I had several custom-made buttons
assigned to macros on the old computer.  I have successfully moved the macros
over, but I can't find where the custom buttons are saved, or how to import
them.
0
PG1 (20)

Is it the same version of excel?

If yes, then you may get lucky by just copying your *.xlb file to your new pc.

I like to modify a toolbar to find the correct *.xlb (both on the old and new
pc).  Then use windows start button|search to get the correct location for both
the "sending" and "receiving" pcs.

Remember if you have macros assigned to these buttons, you'll want to copy the
workbooks to the other pc--and keep them in the same identical location--or
you'll be reassigning buttons to procedures.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I had copied the Excel11.xlb file to the same path and directory, but no
buttons.  Now I may be in a worse pickle.  I appear to have stumbled on an
older .xlb file.  I double clicked it, and now my old PC does not have the
buttons.

What about the resume.xlw file?  I remember having to save the workspace to
make the buttons appear, but I do not have any buttons when I open the
resume.xlw file either.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Is it the same version of excel?
>
> If yes, then you may get lucky by just copying your *.xlb file to your new pc.
>
> I like to modify a toolbar to find the correct *.xlb (both on the old and new
> pc).  Then use windows start button|search to get the correct location for both
> the "sending" and "receiving" pcs.
>
> Remember if you have macros assigned to these buttons, you'll want to copy the
> workbooks to the other pc--and keep them in the same identical location--or
> you'll be reassigning buttons to procedures.
>
> PG wrote:
> >
> > I just got a new computer at work.  I had several custom-made buttons
> > assigned to macros on the old computer.  I have successfully moved the macros
> > over, but I can't find where the custom buttons are saved, or how to import
> > them.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
PG1 (20)
11/30/2005 5:07:03 PM
I don't use workspaces, so I don't have a guess.

Maybe if you search for all the *.xlb files, you'll be able to find the one you
want.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I'm beginning to think they were being kept in some type of "recent" file,
but not truly saved anywhere.  It's looking like I should have saved the
toolbar, then I would have a *.xlb file to transfer as you suggest.

Looks like I'll have to recreate the buttons.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I don't use workspaces, so I don't have a guess.
>
> Maybe if you search for all the *.xlb files, you'll be able to find the one you
> want.
>
> PG wrote:
> >
> > both are 2003.  old has SP1, new SP2.
> >
> > I had copied the Excel11.xlb file to the same path and directory, but no
> > buttons.  Now I may be in a worse pickle.  I appear to have stumbled on an
> > older .xlb file.  I double clicked it, and now my old PC does not have the
> > buttons.
> >
> > What about the resume.xlw file?  I remember having to save the workspace to
> > make the buttons appear, but I do not have any buttons when I open the
> > resume.xlw file either.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Is it the same version of excel?
> > >
> > > If yes, then you may get lucky by just copying your *.xlb file to your new pc.
> > >
> > > I like to modify a toolbar to find the correct *.xlb (both on the old and new
> > > pc).  Then use windows start button|search to get the correct location for both
> > > the "sending" and "receiving" pcs.
> > >
> > > Remember if you have macros assigned to these buttons, you'll want to copy the
> > > workbooks to the other pc--and keep them in the same identical location--or
> > > you'll be reassigning buttons to procedures.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
PG1 (20)
11/30/2005 6:17:22 PM
Are these buttons associated with macros you've written--or are they from
customizing the toolbar via Tools|Customize?

If they're for your own macros, you may find it much easier to just build those
toolbars on the fly.

If you want to add an option to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way
John Walkenbach does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=40E095F1.5CB35B41%40msn.com

--

Dave Peterson
0

pps.  My excel11.xlb (xl2003/winXP home) is in:
C:\Documents and Settings\(usernamehere)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> ps.  Remember to look through hidden folders for hidden files.
>
> pps.  My excel11.xlb (xl2003/winXP home) is in:
> C:\Documents and Settings\(usernamehere)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
>
> PG wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately Excel11.xlb was the only one I found (besides Excel.xlb in an
> > old folder from the last PC change).
> >
> > I'm beginning to think they were being kept in some type of "recent" file,
> > but not truly saved anywhere.  It's looking like I should have saved the
> > toolbar, then I would have a *.xlb file to transfer as you suggest.
> >
> > Looks like I'll have to recreate the buttons.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > I don't use workspaces, so I don't have a guess.
> > >
> > > Maybe if you search for all the *.xlb files, you'll be able to find the one you
> > > want.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
PG1 (20)
11/30/2005 10:28:02 PM
macros I've written.  Buttons were created via
View|Toolbars|Customize|Commands Tab|Macros|Custom Button

I think I'll create much simpler buttons this time, so the next recreation
won't be so painful.

Thanks for the links.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Are these buttons associated with macros you've written--or are they from
> customizing the toolbar via Tools|Customize?
>
> If they're for your own macros, you may find it much easier to just build those
> toolbars on the fly.
>
> If you want to add an option to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way
> John Walkenbach does it in his menumaker workbook:
> http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip53.htm
>
> Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
> http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=40E095F1.5CB35B41%40msn.com
>
> PG wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately Excel11.xlb was the only one I found (besides Excel.xlb in an
> > old folder from the last PC change).
> >
> > I'm beginning to think they were being kept in some type of "recent" file,
> > but not truly saved anywhere.  It's looking like I should have saved the
> > toolbar, then I would have a *.xlb file to transfer as you suggest.
> >
> > Looks like I'll have to recreate the buttons.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > I don't use workspaces, so I don't have a guess.
> > >
> > > Maybe if you search for all the *.xlb files, you'll be able to find the one you
> > > want.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
PG1 (20)

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

QuickSell Import Bug
Hi, I am using QuickSell to import new items in HQ and have encountered a problem. Whilst when adding new items the utility functions properly, when editing existing items and using the Recently Changed mechanism to download data to the stores, items which have been edited using QuickSell import do not appear. Has anyone encountered the same situation and perhaps found a workaround? ...

Date display in Excel

Excel and some disappeared sheets

"Customize Outlook Today" does not respond
The "Customize Outlook Today" button no longer functions. I use Outlook 2000 on two separate computers. the Customize feature works on neither one. They both formerly functioned perfectly. I have noted a few other postings with the same issue, but there have been no responses. Is it possible that one of the updates to Outlook 2000 has rendered this feature inoperable? Since I keep my programs up to date, that is the only guess I have. I have the exact same problem on more than one pc. I have been searching for an answer all day. I just decided to start using the opti...

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Outlook 2003

Custom reports #3

Excel error 1706

Install that important pack from the Microsoft Corp.
--xzkkhdmcbxymiaud Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="vaccmkjzdr"; type="multipart/alternative" --vaccmkjzdr Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ggmepcujya" --ggmepcujya Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vulnera...

Mail merge from excel
I am trying to merge a list of names from excel into publisher. When using the mail merge wizard it wont let me load the names all it says is f1 and f2. what am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Excel Jululian 04-24-10
Good morning please help i have a lists of names and i want to separate each in a colum like You Light Up My Life197711 You Light Up My Life (in one colum "A") 1977 (in one colum "B") 1 (in one colum "C") 1 (in one colum "E") regards First many thanks on your reply the text are different in length regards "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > 'Data' > 'Text to Columns' > 'Next' > mark/un-mark the vertical separators as > shown in the picture > 'Finish' >...