How do I ignore blank cells while averaging the solutions of equat

I'm trying to average (items produced/manhours/workers) over the course of a
week.  The problem is each job isnt worked every day, so I have blank cells
in my equation.  Here is what I'm typing:

=AVERAGE((B4/C4/D4),(E4/F4/G4),(H4/I4/J4),(K4/L4/M4),(N4/O4/P4)).

I know there is a way to ignore #DIV/0 results, but I'm fairly new to Excel.
 I'm also trying to keep this all in one row to save space.  Any help will be
appreciated.

-Ryan

take a look at the subtotal function and see if it meets your needs.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Kisamarha" <Kisamarha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to average (items produced/manhours/workers) over the course of a
> week.  The problem is each job isnt worked every day, so I have blank cells
> in my equation.  Here is what I'm typing:
>
> =AVERAGE((B4/C4/D4),(E4/F4/G4),(H4/I4/J4),(K4/L4/M4),(N4/O4/P4)).
>
> I know there is a way to ignore #DIV/0 results, but I'm fairly new to Excel.
> I'm also trying to keep this all in one row to save space.  Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> -Ryan

0
Gary
1/5/2010 6:54:41 AM
I can't get this done without adding another row, but you can always hide the
extra row.
With your data in B4:P4 arranged Items/MH/W, enter these formulas below each
W cell
In D5    =IF(ISERROR(B4/C4/D4),0,B4/C4/D4)
G5        =IF(ISERROR(E4/F4/G4),0,E4/F4/G4)
J5        =IF(ISERROR(H4/I4/J4),0,H4/I4/J4)
M5        =IF(ISERROR(K4/L4/M4),0,K4/L4/M4)
P5        =IF(ISERROR(N4/O4/P4),0,N4/O4/P4)
These replaces the DIV/0 errors with zero and calculate the the daily results
In Q4
=IF(COUNTIF(D5:P5,">0")=5,SUM(D5:P5)/5,(SUM(D5:P5)/COUNTIF(D5:P5,">0")))
This ignores the days with no job and calculates the weekly average based on
the number of days the the work actually happened.
Not pretty, but it works.

"Kisamarha" wrote:

> I'm trying to average (items produced/manhours/workers) over the course of a
> week.  The problem is each job isnt worked every day, so I have blank cells
> in my equation.  Here is what I'm typing:
>
> =AVERAGE((B4/C4/D4),(E4/F4/G4),(H4/I4/J4),(K4/L4/M4),(N4/O4/P4)).
>
> I know there is a way to ignore #DIV/0 results, but I'm fairly new to Excel.
>  I'm also trying to keep this all in one row to save space.  Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> -Ryan

Linking cells containing text from one worksheet to a cell with text in another worksheet
I have a workbook with two pages, the first page has cells that contain the main description heading of the cells on the second page. The second page has the heading in one cell and then the breakdown of each section under that, and repeated as there are about 11 sections. When I paste a link or use a hyperlink on the first page, it does take you to the heading cell on the second page, however I was wondering if there is a way to force the cells on the bottom of the page to the top for easier viewing. Right now it just pulls those cells up enough to see them at the bottom of the screen, and ...

my right and left arrows won't move to next cell
My excell spreadsheet was working fine then all of a sudden when I hit the right arrow instead of moving to the next cell the whole page moves over but i'm still in the same cell. I can't type in another cell unless I click on it with the mouse. What is happening? I don't know how to fix it. Help. You are in Scroll Lock! Press the scroll lock key once, and you should be OK again. -- HTH Kassie Replace xxx with hotmail "skeeter1" wrote: > My excell spreadsheet was working fine then all of a sudden when I hit the > right arrow instead of moving to the...

Copying non-contiguos cells.
How can I copy and paste data in non contiguos cells? I tried to copy using the CTRL + mouse but when I try to copy doesn't appear... Any suggestions? Thanks a lot. Alex P.S. I wouldn't use macros. Axl, You can copy in the usual way, but when you paste, all the cells will be brought together, so you can't paste data in non-contiguous cells. -- HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Axl" <axl_mac@libero.it> wrote in message news:40b2a2a1.0402030646.417330b5@posting.google.com... > How can I copy and paste data in non contiguos cells? > > I tried to copy using t...

Formula to lookup in a range, find duplicates, and then total the data in the applicable duplicate cells in another column
Need to know if the following is possible? I have a worksheet with several columns. One of those columns has some duplicate entries. What I need a formula to do is locate all the duplicates in this column. Then, based upon the values found in the cells (currency) of a different column in those duplicate rows, total the dollar amounts of these other cells. I don't know if it would be possible to insert a blank row to show the total dollar value of the dups, or perhaps "paste" (for lack of a better term) the resulting dollar total into one of the duped cells. Hi Ryn: I'm no...

change cell from negative to positive
I am trying to change the polarity of a cell with a signal funtion, i.e. change a negative number to a positive and visa versa. I have a spreadsheet which I have imported from an accounting software and I need the numbers which are positive to be negative and numbers which are negative to be positive. I know that I can multiply the cell by a -1 but I have more than 1700 cells to do this to. Terry, If this is a one-time change, do this. Put -1 in a cell, select it, and Copy. Now select the 1700 or so cells, Edit - Paste Special - Multiply. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "...

How do I get rid of blank pages in a report?
Could anyone tell me how to have my report print only where there is data and not to print out blank pages? Thank you. On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:27:18 -0800, SIRSTEVE wrote: > Could anyone tell me how to have my report print only where there is data and > not to print out blank pages? > > Thank you. Code the Report's OnNoData event: MsgBox "There are no records to print." Cancel = true If you opened this report from an event on a form, this will raise error 2501. Trap the error in the form's event that opened the report. On Error GoTo Err_Handler DoCmd.OpenR...

Split Cells #2
I have a spreadsheet where I want to show 2 values in 1 cell and I want there to be a diagonal line splitting the 2 values within the 1 cell. I want one value in the upper right corner of the cell and I want the other value in the lower left hand corner of the same cell. I went to format cell and put a diagonal line in the cell, but it does not allow me to enter 2 values the way I want to. please help, any suggestions welcome! Thanks. Mariah For appearance only. Data cannot be used for calculations. With Wrap Text checked.......... Enter 8 spaces followed by a number. Hit ALT...

Exchange Archiving Solutions
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with either KVS or EAS for Exchange archiving. We're evaluating both at the present time, and they're pretty comparable for our environment with a slight edge to KVS. Particularly interested in PST migration, seamless integration with Outlook for end users and quick/accurate retrieval of archived messages based on specific criteria when needed for records requests. Thanks, Jeff On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:34:11 GMT, jeff.nospam@zina.com (Jeff Cochran) wrote: >I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience wi...

How to detect merged cells with C#
Hi, I do Excel programming first time, and I create a program to detect merged cells , by this way: 1.Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application excelApp = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application(); 2.Get every cells in the worksheet, and check it is merged cell, or not. ※There is one worksheet in the Excel only. but the worksheet has 60 columns and 10000 rows. and it take long time to finish detecting a worksheet. Is there any better way to do it? Best, Mars What version of excel are you supporting? xl2002 (it's there in xl2003 for sure!) added an op...

Exclude a cell
Excel 2002 Any one know how I can sum all the cell values in a column except the value of the last cell to be entered which could be say half-way down the column? Is there a function to exclude a particular cell from "sum" ? I know a lot of ppl are far more advanced than I am but we all start somewhere lol Thanks for your help Dale To exclude cell A16: =SUM(A:A)-A16 Not very elegant, but effcient! Cheers, -- AP "DF2507" <nospamthx@blueyonder.co.uk> a �crit dans le message de news: xB6sg.51172$181.12831@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > Excel 2002 > &...

Only 2 options in a cell
Hi I have a cell in which the only options are "Work" and "Home". How do I do this? Thanks Robert -- RobertLees ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RobertLees's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398526 somewhere far in the sheet enter the 2 options in lets say AA1 and AA2 Now in the cell where you want the option, select the cell, go to Data > Validation > List, and select the range AA1:AA2. Mangesh "...

Cell formats #3
Is it possible to customise a cell in excel that will display a negative number within parenthesis rather than the entered value preceeded by a minus sign? e.g Value entry "-1500" displays as "-1500" Required display "(1500)" Regards Steve Steve, Yes. Format - Cells - Number. In Category, choose Number or Currency, and you'll have a box to choose the display format of negative numbers. For more control, see Custom. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "steve" <anonymo...

Maximum characters per cell
What is the maximum characters per cell in an Excel spreadsheet? Straight out of help:- Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Judy" <anonymous@discussi...

Remove highlight background in cell
Hello- Is there an easy way to remove the "highlighted yellow background" in all cells in all worksheets of a workbook, but leave the data in the cell? So, change "yellow highlight" to "no fill" - but leave the cell contents? Thank you so much! Dttodgg, Ctrl+A to select all cells in the sheet, then click the drop down arrow next to fill color button and select no fill -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2...

1 entered in cell comes up as 0.0000000001
I have checked the cell format properties and set it to general and then number w/ 2 decimal, the only way i can get 1 to stay as a 1 is to change the cell properties to text. Why is it doing this? it just started today and i dont know what i did. thansk! have a look at .......tools.... options....edit......and uncheck fixed decimal places -- Greetings from New Zealand "Breezy" <Breezy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67941FBC-13BE-4CA5-8207-236ABA319506@microsoft.com... >I have checked the cell format properties and set it to general and then > ...

How to delete characters after a value in a cell?
I've got a list of url's in excel that I need to delete everything after the .com could someone tell me how to do this? I'm running excel 2007 One way, in say B1, copied down: =LEFT(A1,SEARCH(".com",A1)-1) -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70 xdemechanik --- "mkabwilliams" <mkabwilliams@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bbcc9a6b-8ac3-4848-b389-e66ab6d8a117@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I've got a list of url's in excel that I need to delete everything > after the .com could someo...

Possible solution to .NET Framework Updates
Like many of you, I have been grappling with unsuccessful .NET Framework updates. Hopefully, this post might help you. I am operating from Windows XP Home Edition SP3 - 32bit. What I did... From Control Panel - Add And Remove Programs, I removed .NET Framework 1.1 (it had SP1 on top) NOTE: Add and Remove Programs would NOT allow me to remove .NET 2.0 SP2 or 3.0 SP3. I DID NOT USE THE WINDOWS UNINSTALL CLEAN UP UTILITY. I attempted to uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 and it allowed me to do so. The program asked if I wanted to Uninstall or Repair the program. I SELECTED REPAIR. T...

Blank pages
This morning, on both my laptop and desktop using IE8 8.0.7600.16385, certain stories on smh.com.au "disappear" after a few seconds. It also occurs in the online version of theage.com.au, part of the same group. I downloaded Firefox and there is no problem. It seems unlikely IE could have been corrupted on both machines. Is there some add-on I need? Thanks Bill Hi, Tools> uncheck InPrivate Filtering Regards. "Bill" <willy@home.om> wrote in message news:OrAS9scqKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > This morning, on both my la...

formula to return certain cell
I have column A with names subtotal lines then in the column B $ values I want to create a forumula in column C that searches and return only $'s that are on the lines that contain total in the text string. any suggestions? Seems to me you ought to just learn how to use Data-->Subtotals. However, you should be able to use SUMIF: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/index.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8DB40C9-B028-4ACC-825E-FEF59D0778A2@microsoft....

Clearing or Deleting cells with formulas returning ""
I need a macro line that will delete the contents of cells in a range that have formulas that return a blank cell. the if formulas in the cells return "" or some number. i need to empty the cells that do not return a number. TIA Fred R. Select your range to fix Edit|goto|special Select Formulas But uncheck Numbers Leave Text, Logical, Errors checked Click Ok Now hit the delete key. If you record a macro when you do it, you'll have your code. scaryboy wrote: > > I need a macro line that will delete the contents of cells in a range > that have formulas that return a ...

Can you have more than one hyperlink in a cell in Excel?
If you can have more than one hyperlink in a cell - what do you separate the hyperlinks with? Check this: http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002805_Putting_More_than_One_Hyperlink_in_a_Cell.html Micky "Vickie" wrote: > If you can have more than one hyperlink in a cell - what do you separate the > hyperlinks with? You could cheat and add rectangles over the words/phrases you want. Then hide the borders and assign a hyperlink to each of the rectangles. You could even format those characters (if the value in that cell is not a formula) nicely. But it can be a ...

Import Data into same cell
Hi, I need to import data from 5 different spreadsheets into the same cell. For example, I have one spread sheet that says test1 , Test2, and Test3 spread over 9 colums and 200 rows in random places. Copy and pasting them into the master document is easy, but for the next spread sheet, I have Yes, No and Maybe. I have to import that data into the same cell as the test1 test2 and test3 cells without overwriting the existing data. Is there a way to do this? I would hate to manually input this data, it would take for ever. Thanks in advance. Hi not sure what you mean by "import...

Publisher 2003 Extra Blank Pages
Hi All, Publisher Version 2003 I have a 12 page document that I have used for 7 versions of a newsletter without any problems. I open up the previous one, delete the content, save with a new name and start again. However, it has now started to print an extra blank page after each page with content. These blank pages do not show up in the document but only when I use Print Preview, Print to a printer or try to create a pdf. I have tried to print to different printers with the same result. The document is a simple 12 page document. ie not a booklet. I can get around it temporarily by printing ...

placing Excel graphs into Word table cells
I need to paste two excel graphs in Word table cells. 1. How could I scale/or measure graphs in Excel? 2. How could I line up Y axis of two graphs that are differet in height? 3. Or, the above approach is wrong? Then??? Thanks wlotto, I am not sure about your problem. But these links might point you to solution: You can use J-walk's Chart Tools Add-in to size your chart to an dimension - (If the add-in does not allow you to measure in inches o cms, then you can measure your table cells in points instead - Word->Tools->Options->General->Measurement units). Regarding alig...

Selecting specific cells in a column using countif
I am trying to use the countif function but want to include and exclude specific cells within the same column. Row 1 = "4" Row 2 = "4" Row 3 = "3" Row 4 = "4" Example: I want to count "4" in row 1 & row 4 but not in row 2. Any help would be appreciated. Bob M. How do you plan on telling the formula which values/cells to exclude. Is there some sort of logic... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Bob M." wrote: > I am trying to use the countif function but want to include and exclude ...