How do I get automatic completion to work for an in-cell dropdown

If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropdown, I'd like
typing 'G' to auto-select Gamma.
I'm pretty sure it was doing that at some point, but now, it does not.
0
Weisblatt (1)

This isn't supported under data|validation.

You could use A,B,G in the dropdown and then use a helper cell with a formula in
it, though.

Say you put your abbreviations in A1:A3 of sheet2 and the real names in B1:B3,
then you could use:

=if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

--

Dave Peterson
0

Recipient Policy Not Working #4
Running Exchange 2003 (SP2), recipient policy is not stamping email addresses on new mailboxes created (in User's AD properties, under email tab, there are no addresses (smtp, fax,etc). Any advice appreciated. You can generally get good event information by turning up the logging for MSExchangeAL on the server running RUS to Maximum. If that doesn't get you anywhere, have a read of this excellent 3 part guide on troubleshooting RUS by Bill Long. http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2004/07/07/175444.aspx Tony www.activedir.org "PCKC" wrote: > Running Exchange 2003 (...

How to create a task view where completed tasks are omitted
Hello out there! I'm trying to create a task view where my hundreds of 'completed tasks' are omitted - leaving all other tasks that have yet to be completed. I've searched help and rung the customer support line but to no avail. Anyone know how? Would be much appreciated. Paul Create a custom view of your Tasks folder with a filter that says "Completed equals no" (you will find this on the Advanced tab when you click the Filter button). -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the...

Automatic save with csv-extension
I'm using Office 97 at my work. Normally, the following code will save worksheet to a csv-extension. But....VisBas stops at the 3th line wit a run-time error '438'. What's the correct code or what am I doin wrong ? Sub export_csv() ActiveSheet.Copy ActiveWorkbook.SavesAs FileName:="C:\upload.csv", FileFormat:=xlCSV CreateBackup:=False ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False End Su -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Gestron, "SavesAs." Typo. Should be SaveAs. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net --------------...

Word 2003 stops working
Hi folks, Never had a problem with Word 2003 in the 3 years I've had this program. Suddenly, I have issues. A few minutes into opening a Word document, or upon attempted close of the document, I get a popup box with message "Microsoft Office Word has stopped working. A problem caused the problem to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." When I close the popup, sometimes a new blank "document 1" opens up automatically. This happens with both Word docs and Outlook messages. Don'...

Cell comments
I have added cell comments to my worksheet, but they have always bee static, meaning if you put your cursor on that cell it always display the same text. Is there a way to create some sort of comment tha would change depending on the information in the cell? When the curso passes over the cell, the code would go pull in data from a MS Acces table using the value in that cell as criteria -- LA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.co...

eliminating blank cells
I have two sheets in a workbook. Say sheet January and Summary. Sheet January looks like this DATE SN Amount TAX OVD CBS 12.01.2007 483 3464 1559 701 1184 13.01.2007 484 3907 1758 791 -627 14.01.2007 485 241 108 49 -75 17.01.2007 9/A12 1623 730 329 104 19.01.2007 11/A2 329 839 292 88 Now I want to gather these information in sheet "Summary" eliminating the blank rows, so Summary looks like this: DATE SN Amount TAX OVD CBS 12.01.2007 483 3464 1559 701 1184 13.01.2007 484 3907 1758 791 -627 14.01.2007 485 241 108 49 -75 17.01.2007 9/A12 1623 730 329 10...

Why doesnt this work?
I have two sheets. The one called CorpClaims and one called Summary, the latter is where I want the answer. On CorpClaims is a list of data with various headings such as DateofLoss, Amount, DescriptionofLoss etc On Summary is a small table that has Description of Loss down the left in Column A, in row 2 is the applicable month (the input would be 01/08/2009 for August 09 and formatted as Aug 09). Then the value part of the table would be the sum of all amounts that fall under the Description of Loss, (which is defined in column AJ) that fall in a certain month. =SUMIFS(CorpCl...

Reply To
This may be the wrong place to Post this - I need some help with the following: Using Outlook 2002 - When replying to most E-mail messages, all works great. However, When I reply to a E-mail message created by a MDaemon user, the message is replied to the "Send To" part of the message not the "From : address. Example, If a message is sent to "Everyone" @ xxxxxx.com - (convention From MDaemon to send to all mail boxes)- it goes out correctly and shows the individual's address in "From": - it shows the original sender's address (i.e.abc@xxxxxxx.com). ...

Send Receive All option is not working?
When sending out an email I select the Send/Receive All to send item from outbox. I then have to click the Send/Receive All option again in order to receive new incoming emails. Isn't that how Send Receive All is supposed to work. To send out items in outbox and to receive new mail with a click of the mouse? Thanks in advance. ...

I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references
If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers in cells. How do i do this? Presently the formula displays #VALUE! where there is text in one or more of the cells referenced. Use ISNUMBER(): In place of A1 use =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,"") -- Gary''s Student "Russellrupert" wrote: > If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula > to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers > in cells...

How to AUTOMATICALLY reconnect clients on Server after disconnecti
I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2. I have developed a server-client app. Only about 10 clients connected to the Server. Recently, in a week the server has been error 2-3 times. I still don't know what caused it. The error was runtime error like other windows app error which is ended by the dialog of "Send" or "Don't Send" to Microsoft. After it error, an application restarting will make it normal. At that time, I need to re-connect all previously connected clients. Is it possible to be done on the server side only? I use the NDK 2.0 class from the codeproject here:...

How to make A1 the active cell in all visible worksheets ?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0028_01CA8164.76257740 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ......so that when i activate the sheet A1 is the cell in the upper left = corner of my screen. Thanx ------=_NextPart_000_0028_01CA8164.76257740 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content=3D"text/html; ...

Conditional Formatting dependent on whether cell is populated.
I want to conditionally format cell G2 dependent upon whether there is a value in cell C2 AND G2 Therefore, if cell C2 has a value in it and cell G2 doesn't then cell G2 color = Amber if cell C2 has a value in it and cell G2 has a value then cell G2 color = Green Any helpful hints or useful suggestions? Thanks Tel Conditional Format of G2, condition 1: =AND(COUNTA(C2)=1,ISBLANK(G2)) format Amber condition 2: =COUNTA(C2,G2)=2 format Green -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Tel" wrote: &...

in Excel: How do I change "selected cells" highlight color?
When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the background color of cells that are selected? Thanks. Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it. I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help some. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired <flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely >tell whic...

How get global variable into report textbox ?
I've been trying to do this for 2 hours and am completely stuck. I can display the variable with Msgbox but as soon as I try to set the text box to the variable, I get an error (can't assign to this object)? It also failed when I try to do it via the 'controlsource' Why is this simple opertion so difficult? mscertified wrote: >I've been trying to do this for 2 hours and am completely stuck. >I can display the variable with Msgbox but as soon as I try to set the text >box to the variable, I get an error (can't assign to this object)? It also >failed wh...

connecting cells with connector lines
Hello! Is it possible in Excel (2007) to draw a connector line (with or without an arrow ...) between two cells in a worksheet, so that the line-tips will follow their cells even when the latter are moved ? Thanks Michael On Feb 25, 7:00=A0am, Michaelprem123 <michaelprem...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello! > > Is it possible in Excel (2007) to draw a connector line (with or > without an arrow ...) between two cells in a worksheet, so that the > line-tips will follow their cells even when the latter are moved ? > > Thanks > > Michael The line will automatically a...

2 different fonts in the same cell?
Hello! If I want (Times New Roman) "This is a red Wingdings 3 triangle ([change font] Wingdings 3: 123 [back to Times New Roman]").", I can do that in a cell. But if I refer to that cell (=A1) in B1, the Wingdings font doesn't come over and it winds up all TImes New Roman and looks like "This a red Wingdings 3 triangle ({)." How can I "=A1" for a cell that has two fonts in it and have the two fonts show up?? Thanks! VR/ Lost You can't have that in a FORMULA. You would have to change it to text first. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel Sales...

Summing items in a cell
How do you SUM items in a cell. I have a parts list with reference designators like U3-U6. I want the sum of the range of items, in this case it's 4, but can't figure out how to do this. Any help will be appreciated -- dpmoore ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dpmoore's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24920 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384566 More info and then a formula using find can be used or a udf (macro for custom formula) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Soft...

EXCEL Cell Formatting: Custom or Conditional
At work I have Excel 2002 and I have some cells that I import data in from the mainframe. I have a table where there is a column for GENDER (MALE or FEMALE) that I would like to see shown as "Male" or "Female" (mixed case). Is there a way to change all upper case to mixed case using either CUSTOM formatting or CONDITIONAL formatting? I would prefer not using a macro if there is something simpler. I know that =PROPER() produces the correct result, but I don't see how I can use this unless I'm referencing another cell. I would like to be able to just change what fa...

How to tell Excel to insert cells and shift down from Access
Hi all, I have Access 2003. I am trying to tell Excel to insert cells and shift cells down from Access, with this line of code: oWksh.Cells.Insert Shift:=xlDown But Access does not like that line. It gave me run-time error 1004. I know if has to do with the part Shift:=xlDown Can you suggestion what I can do? Thank you in advance, Ben "Ben" <Ben@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:eSZuzcDpKHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I have Access 2003. I am trying to tell Excel to insert cells and shift > cells down from Access,...

Postmaster@domain.com messages get queued
I have a handful of domains that show up in my exchange queue that have messages that will not send. They all have some sort of error message like the following: "The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt." "Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS" "The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink." The interesting thing is that almost all the messages are from "postmaster" and are destined for bizarre domains like TPNET.DL, MAIL.HQ.COM.AR etc. What exactly does this mean? They're likely replies to NDRs to ...

Automatic notification for replies on Newsgroups
I am sorry for posting such a generic non Outlook related question on the group but would appreciate if anyone can help me with this. If I access microsoft Managed newsgroups from the browser I can set notifications for replies to any msgs that I post. Unfortunately I could not find this outlook newsgroup on the http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed site hence am using OE to check and post messages here. Is there any way I can set automatic notifications to msgs I am tracking via OE? Regards, Nabeel For OE questions such as this, it is best to ask in an OE group since we = on...

how do I get the x-axis to plot values rather than categories in .
how do I get the x-axis to plot values rather than categories in Excel By using an XY rather than a LINE chart -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Boggins" <Boggins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D963E4D-93C3-4E8A-83F1-A51943ED4CAA@microsoft.com... > how do I get the x-axis to plot values rather than categories in Excel ...

Show linked cell alone somwhere on the desktop
I have DDE linked data in excell. After the all calculations I have result which is one cell. I need to see this "live" cell somwhere on the screen all the time (Excell can be open in background) and I want to see this number only or as less frame as possible - what is my options? Simply when I'm working with other software there is no way to squeeze in all Excell even if I have multiple monitors (: Thks. It's still me - Simplifying my question. Is there any way to bring Excel spreadsheet out of main Excel frame - in Office 2007? "GPS" wrote: > I have D...

CFtpFileFind::FindNextFile() can't get the correct file name.
Once I want to get file from HP-UX by FTP. I use MFC CFtpFileFind to find the files under a specified directory in HP-UX, but the return value of CFtpFileFind::GetFileName () is not the correct file name, it includes time (sometimes and date) ahead, such as: 19:30 Mydemofile001.txt 19:35 Mydemofile002.txt but the real file name existed are only Mydemofile001.txt and Mydemofile002.txt. Is there any problem in the low level encapsulated by MFC for FTP list files? Could anyone give me some advice? Thank you. ...