How do I get absolute values for a range of cells?

I various spreadsheets with a mixture of positive and negative numbers.  I
would like to make them absolute values.  I believe a macro would be
necessary.
0
Terry (158)

Hi Terry

i've just tried this on a SMALL data set - so you might like to test it a
bit more thoroughly before believing in it ... but i selected the range i
wanted to convert to positive values and did
edit / replace
find what:  -
replace with: <<leave blank>>

clicked Replace All

seemed to work.

Cheers
julieD

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I various spreadsheets with a mixture of positive and negative numbers.  I
> would like to make them absolute values.  I believe a macro would be
> necessary.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
3/2/2005 3:46:49 PM
Not really, you could use a help column and a simple formula

=IF(A1<0,A1*-1,A1)

copy down/across and then copy and paste special as values,
now you could replace the originals with the help column

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I various spreadsheets with a mixture of positive and negative numbers.  I
> would like to make them absolute values.  I believe a macro would be
> necessary.

0
terre081 (3244)
3/2/2005 3:52:19 PM
It's also possible by way of the ABS() function, which returns the
absolute value of whatever is between the brackets (cell reference,
etc).  Would it be easier to use a formula than write and maintain a
macro?

0
CycleZen (674)

Prevent clicking on a cell

if cell is text move left one column

rounding up values
Has anyone done round up of values to the nearest dollar.For example I want to give a 10% of the price to my customers but if the result is other than .00 then I wanted to round up to the nearest dollar amount.My calculation using sql has been price * percent and then subtract the value from the price, then what do I need to do to roundit up??Thanks for your suggestion.Also I have a problem with my customers that I am extracting and the query does return all the values from 2004 and 2006 that are equal except for the price I have given them, how do I get only the latest ones in 2006 and not th...

How can I get 32-bit Integers?

INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS
INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS - www.InternetMillionDollars.biz Watch the VIDEO on YOUTUBE... NOW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXQUjk5EGV0 MAKE MONEY INSTANTLY using 2007 featured INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS as a resource. WORK FROM HOME HOMEBASED JOBS AND IDEAS BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY Professor James Bradley's "Quick and real way to make BIG MONEY on the Internet!" The Independent Finally you have FOUND IT! Make a FORTUNE each month... .... every month! 100% ON AUTOPILOT Read it NOW and CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Are you fed up with being short of MONEY all the time? Do you DREAM about a...

Separating Date and Time in a cell

getting started
I'm installing office 2003, outlook, I'm lost from server type to URL address to server info? I have sbc yahoo dsl. can you help me? damselindistress <damselindistress@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm installing office 2003, outlook, I'm lost from server type to URL > address to server info? I have sbc yahoo dsl. can you help me? When you obtained your packet from SBC, they included all that information. Moreover, it's in the Help section of SBC Yahoo's site. The most likely settings are "pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" for the incoming serv...

how do you get a landscape page?
Please help, desperate! If you are using 2010, Page Design tab, Size, More pre-set page sizes. Letter landscape is the first choice. In all other Publisher versions landscape will be on the page setup screen found in the File menu. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "becky.x" <becky.x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25D3EDBC-93EF-4582-94B2-83C9CE121E17@microsoft.com... > Please help, desperate! ...

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

line chart with NA() values

Multivalue with Null value SSRS 2005
I have a query to populate a multivalue parameter: SELECT distinct cast(AGRPYear.value as varchar(4)) + AGRPMonth.value 'ReportDate' FROM TPROJECT AS TPROJECT One of the values that is returned from this query is NULL. However, when I run the report, the NULL value does not show in the dropdown. I've also tried adding "select NULL as 'ReportDate' union" to the above query and the null value still doesn't show. As a result some of the records in my database have a null value for this field, they will never show up on my report. Any id...

Automatic changes in cells

Calculating on alphabetic cell content

Sorting Cells by Colors

Increasing and decreasing values
Using column chart type I want to display increasing values and then decreasing values (not negative). For example 10,20,25 top value 55, then I want to show from 55 decrasing amount 10,35,10 (back to 0 starting point). Is it possible Put the numbers into the worksheet. A row or a column, whatever you like. If each number has a corresponding category label, put them in the row or column before the data. Select the data (one or two rows/columns), and run the Chart Wizard (the icon like a column chart, or Insert menu > Chart). Choose the Column chart type, and click through the rest o...