How do I get a list to default to the first item?

I have a list that has 10 items and 40 blanks for future use.  I give the
list a name then I use the Data Validation to call the list from within
another cell.  The problem is when I click the dropdown for the list it set
the list to the first blank instead of setting it to the first item.  The
scroll bar ends up in the middle and I need it to be located at the top.

Hi
AFAIK you can't change this behaviour

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"QTP Professional" <QTP Professional@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb
im Newsbeitrag
> I have a list that has 10 items and 40 blanks for future use.  I give
the
> list a name then I use the Data Validation to call the list from
within
> another cell.  The problem is when I click the dropdown for the list
it set
> the list to the first blank instead of setting it to the first item.
The
> scroll bar ends up in the middle and I need it to be located at the
top.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/27/2004 7:03:23 PM
Instead of defining the extra 40 blank cells for future use, use a Dynamic
List by defining a Dynamic Range.

Debra Dalgleish has instructions at.......

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal08.html#Dynamic

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:21:02 -0700, "QTP Professional" <QTP
Professional@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a list that has 10 items and 40 blanks for future use.  I give the
>list a name then I use the Data Validation to call the list from within
>another cell.  The problem is when I click the dropdown for the list it set
>the list to the first blank instead of setting it to the first item.  The
>scroll bar ends up in the middle and I need it to be located at the top.

0
Gord

Disable items in a CListCtrl in icon view
It is possible to disable some items when using a CListCtrl in (large) icon view mode ? For example, gray them out and make it non-clickable. Any ideas ? Not out of the box, you will have to custom draw the items, and handle the clicking yourself. AliR. "Vincent RICHOMME" <richom.v@free.fr> wrote in message news:44759efc$0$31231$626a54ce@news.free.fr... > > It is possible to disable some items when using a CListCtrl in (large) > icon view mode ? > For example, gray them out and make it non-clickable. > > Any ideas ? ...

First non-blank row in WS after hyperlinking
I have several ws I use as check registers. I'd like to be able to go to the last non-blank row in that ws when I click that register's ws from the index page. It would always be the next available row in the applicable ws. Is there a way from HYPERLINK to do that or maybe a function once I get there? Macro? TIA here are a couple different ways: this will select the cell. it's not a good practice to select, but just used as an illustration here. range(worksheets("Sheet1").cells(rows.Count,"A").end(xlup).address).Select Sub FindLastCel...

Junk E-Mail Lists Error in Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003
I have seen several people post about this error message that comes up in Outlook, but so far I haven't seen anyone respond. I am running an Exchange 2003 server with SP1 and my client is Outlook 2003. I installed IMF a few weeks ago, and it appears that this message started soon afterwards. I have now uninstalled IMF, but am still receiving the message. My end users are getting frustrated, as am I. There also appears to be an error in the IMF deployment guide about adding a registry key to increase the list size in Exchange. It states to "right click System", but there is n...

Macro Help/Duplicate Items + Insert Rows + Sum
I am trying to create a template that will do the following: 1. Find Duplicate Entries (AlphaNumeric) In A Column 2. Insert 2 Rows Between The Duplicate Entries Then: 1. Sub-Total(Another Column With Random Numbers) Of The Duplicate Entries 2. Format the Sub-Total In Bold I have gotten to the point of writting a macro that will identify the duplicate entries; does anybody know how to do the rest? This is a changing set of data, transferred to excel from a relational database (Lotus123 Rel2, which contains anywhere between 3000 to 5000 rows. I cannot spend time grouping the data ...

Trouble getting Bill Pay to work with Money 2005
I upgraded from Money 2004 Deluxe to Money 2005 Premium this evening. I had Bill Pay working in the 2004 version. I went to enable the "Access your Money data on the Web" option in Settings. It said that I had to disable Bill Pay first before it would continue and that it would enable Bill Pay again once the process was complete. Unfortunately, now I can't get Bill Pay enabled again. I can go to the Bills screen and see my scheduled bills, but I can't do ePay through Bill Pay in Money anymore. When I go to Manage Online Services, I see my bank accounts that are ...

Last Question regarding ITems
I am unclear as to how I should take care of this item... Take for example I order a carton or case of items by I only sell these items by the single item. So in a case there is 36 or 48 or 60 of one item. How Should I enter this into RMS? I want to be able to buy 1 cs and recieve the inventory and have RMS automatically make it so that I have 36, 48 or 60 of them available. parent = case child = individual like items within case search help file for "parent child" "Pr0ject" <Pr0ject@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9E706E8-75B1-4E64-ACCF-72EAE...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

default mail format based on domain
Greetings - After 20_ years of Eudora and Thunderbird (in that order), I'm looking at Outlook for the first time (we're moving to an Exchange backend, so...worth a look, for obvious reasons). In Thunderbird, if I want to set a default HTML format for emails sent to a certain domain, I can specify that. For any other domain(s), plain text. Is there an easy way to do that in Outlook (I'm using 2007)? Basically, I want emails sent to my enterprise domain (i.e., my place of employment) to be in HTML or perhaps RTF, but mail sent to other domains to be plain text only. Again, I want ...

get a list of file in a directory
Hi. what would be the best way to return a list of files in a directory. I know in VB you could use the dir function, but what should i use in MFC. Doen anyone know of a class available where I could say return all the file in a certain directory and its sub directories Regards Dylan Take a look at the CFileFind MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Dylan Franklin" <dyl2000@lineone.net> wrote in message news:eHHBr0MxDHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi. > > what would be the best way to return a list of files i...

customizing the task list print options
I'd like to print my "tasks" list but with the complete Note field included. How does one accomplish that? I'm surprised it isn't a standard form provided in Outlook. -- ------------ Michael Bierman ...

Change Default When Selecting New Message From Form
Whenever I select New -> Choose Form, it defaults to "Organizational Forms Library" (which is empty). How can I make it default to "User Templates in File System"? Thanks. I've been looking for a way to do that for years, but have never found = one. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues = "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms or, via web = interface, at = http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=3Dmicroso= ft.public.outlook.program_forms --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Con...

Simple question
I have an xls sheet that always print 6 copies. When ever I want to print, I have to change it to 1 copy. It's only this one xls sheet. Everything else prints 1 copy like it's suppose to. It's not the printer settings. Like I said, it's just this one xls sheet. Can someone tell me how to make it print 1 copy only and then stay as 1 as the defualt. I have made many changes to the sheet and saved it many times, but it always defaults to 6 copies. Very Strange. Thanks in advance. Phil If maybe as simple as this, as each page can have the page count se individua...

Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template
I am using excel 2003. Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - xlt. To create a document I just do new -> blank document. How can i fix this? thanks Tools>Options>Transition. Save Excel Files As. Change to MS Excel Workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:54:26 -0600, "Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote: >I am using excel 2003. >Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - >xlt. >To create a document I just do new -> blank document. > >How...

Drop down list 03-27-10
Hello, Im trying to create a linked multiple drop down list in excel and im not sure if it can be done, such as in the first list of pipe diameter, second list wall thickness, pipe outer diameter, third list circumference and so on. when the an item from the first list is selected, the following lists are to show the specific value based upon the first selection. help would very much appreciated, thank you I think that www.contextures.com has some assistance to offer. Look at this first: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html and if that's not exactly what you need...

how do I get the if function to return a blank cell, not 0?
I am trying to create a chart from a series that contains data for each month. The series is calculated on other worksheets and copied to the worksheet containing the chart. I would like to have the cells for the months that have not been updated yet (now is January, there are 0' in all cells for Feb-Dec) to be blank (to create gaps in the chart) not 0's. Can this be done? Unfortunately, what you want, and what many of us have requested but doesn't exist, is a worksheet function like BLANK() or NULL(). The best we can do is use NA() in a chart's data source, which is...

Condensed form of Edit Lists
Hi all! Has anyone modified GP Edit lists to get rid of extra spaces? Please let me know. Thanks. -- Marisol Mortera ...

Recovering deleted items #3
Hi, I am encountering a strange problem. I am trying to recover mails which were deleted permanantly from my mailbox. After editing the registry settings i am able to recover all folders except deleted items. While I click on deleted items folder to recover the items outlook exits. Has anyone come across this problem? Thanks Shilpa hoe many items are in the deleted folder? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Ou...

user control of distro lists
I have set up some distro lists in AD. We have all 2003 servers and exchange 2003. I want to allow multiple users (if possible) to add and remove users to and from these lists. I saw a post already detailing this but I get no security tab on the dostro lists I created. I made the lists Universal and Distribution when I set them up. What do I need to do? Thanks. you need to view "advanced features" in your aduc console... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "MikeB" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2346AB31-9C7D-4761-8881-2D43475D68E5@microsoft....

Get Good Jobs In UK
Simple Get you GOOD jobs in UK At http://www.webinfoforall.be.tf Due to High Security Risk I have Hidden the Videos In an Image In that Website On Below Search Box Click On Image And Watch Videos. http://www.webinfoforall.be.tf ...

How to change default cell formats
When I open a file, all negative values are shown with a - before them, whilst my colleagues, when opening the same file, the negatives are shown in brackets ie. ( ). How do I ensure that when I open the same file, my negative numbers appear in brackets This is a windows setting. Close excel Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format to show ($1.1) Open excel You may have to reformat: Format|Cells|number tab|Number (adjust the decimal places and comma options) Easty04 wrote: > > When I open a file, all negative values are shown with a - before t...

Default print is 20800 copies!
I'm using Excel:Mac 2001 on a Mac running OS 9.2 When I open the document and print, it prints one copy. However, when I send the document to colleagues using Excel X for Ma on OS X, and they hit print, the default number of copies shows a 20800. (And if they don't pay attention, the printer dutifully start printing the twenty thousand copies). Any solutions? Where can I adjust the default print number in Excel X? Thank -- Tim_ ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tim_E's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&user...

getting the OS on a CD
I just bought a Toshiba netbook running WinXP SP3. It didn't come with a CD containing the OS. What's the best way to get the CD (in case of need later on)? Do I ask Toshiba for it or Microsoft? Thank you! Jo-Anne "Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> said this in news item news:uS0oqVyjKHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I just bought a Toshiba netbook running WinXP SP3. It didn't come with a > CD containing the OS. What's the best way to get the CD (in case of need > later on)? Do I ask Toshiba for it or Microsoft? > > Th...

Filling out list based on other lists
I have a workbook with 3 sheets. Sheet 1 is the design and dimensions where the information is gathered. Sheet 2 is a complete material list with blank quantities. Sheet 3 is lists based lengths and widths that will be gathered on Sheet 1. Here is an example of one of the lists on Sheet 3. Length Quantity 11 24 12 27 13 29 14 31 15 33 16 35 17 38 18 40 19 42 20 44 So on Sheet 1 the Length is entered into a text box. What I need to be able to do is take the Length, say 16, entered into that text box on sheet 1, have it reference this list ...

Default for imported transaction dates..
Does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that when you "accept" an imported transaction (ie: the transaction imported directly from your credit card company matches a manual entry you made in Money)... that it defaults to the credit card's date??? We all know that it takes 1-2 days for a credit card transaction to post to your account.... so, why wouldn't the default be the manually entered date??? Maybe Microsoft can create a setting for those (like me) who use the manual dates... I'm sick of having to change the date on every transaction!! ---------------- Thi...

Dropdown List....
I'm an Access Programmer. How can I see "2 columns" of info in Excel like an Access dropdown..IE.. 1 Apples 2 Bananas 3 Oranges ....which in Access comes from a SQL. TIA - Bob If you mean a data validation dropdown, you can use a worksheet formula to combine the values in two columns, then show the combined values in the data validation list. There's an example on the following page: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html Under Data Validation, look for "Data Validation Columns" Bob Barnes wrote: > I'm an Access Programmer. > &g...