How do I expand the amount of text I can put in a cell?

I am entering text into a cell & can see it in the formula bar up top, but
it's giving me the #### in the cell that states it's too big.  How can I get
it to show my text?
0
Sarah2407 (145)

Sarah -

Put your cursor between the column you want to expand, and the column to the
right.  When you see a four sided arrow, click and drag it to the right.  You
may need to also Format, Cell, Alignment and click on Wrap Text.

Hope this helps,
Carole O
"Sarah" wrote:

> I am entering text into a cell & can see it in the formula bar up top, but
> it's giving me the #### in the cell that states it's too big.  How can I get
> it to show my text?
0
CaroleO (115)
3/8/2005 7:53:05 PM
Thanks Carole - we tried that but it still won't fit.  I think we may have to
cut down on our text or move to another cell.

"Carole O" wrote:

> Sarah -
>
> Put your cursor between the column you want to expand, and the column to the
> right.  When you see a four sided arrow, click and drag it to the right.  You
> may need to also Format, Cell, Alignment and click on Wrap Text.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Carole O
> "Sarah" wrote:
>
> > I am entering text into a cell & can see it in the formula bar up top, but
> > it's giving me the #### in the cell that states it's too big.  How can I get
> > it to show my text?
0
Sarah2407 (145)
3/8/2005 7:59:06 PM
Hover your pointer over the very top cell (These are
usually A, B, C..etc) When you see a shape similar to a
cross, you can either double click or hold your left mouse
button down and adjust the cells in that column.

0
anonymous (74722)
3/8/2005 8:48:00 PM
Try formatting your cell as General--I bet it's formatted as Text.

Format|Cells|Number Tab|General

--

Dave Peterson
0

The symbols you see only appear if there is a formatted value in the cell
and the column is not wide enough to display the entire amount. (Cells that
contain text do not display these symbols regardless of how much text they
contain.)

The three most common ways to correct the situation are:

1- Use different formatting if possible,

2- Use smaller font size if possible, or

3- Increase the column width as necessary.

Opton 3 merely involves clicking the column heading at the top of the column
(A, B, C, D, E, etc.), then go to Format>Column>AutoFit Selection. If this
makes the column too wide based on other content in the column, select just
the range of cells displaying the symbols and repeat the process (or you
could do it this way first).

For more options, see Excel Help on Column Width.

HTH |:>)

"Sarah" wrote:

> I am entering text into a cell & can see it in the formula bar up top, but
> it's giving me the #### in the cell that states it's too big.  How can I get
> it to show my text?
0
CyberTaz (411)
3/9/2005 2:49:01 PM
If a cell is formatted as text and contains over 255 characters but less than
1025, you can see this ####.

You can also see it if you have a negative number and the cell is formatted as
time/date (not using 1904 date system).

As well as some number formats where the column width is too narrow.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Deleting rows with locked cells
Hello, I'm trying to find a way to overcome a "feature" I've dicovered with Excel protection. If protection is enabled, with the "delete row" checkbox active, the row cannot be deleted if there are locked cells in the row. Is there a way to defeat this "feature"? Cheers, Paul excel beginner -- paul<dot>moore@pandora<dot>be Adjust "dots" for real address Unlock those cells to start or unprotect the worksheet, do the deletion and then reprotect the worksheet? Paul Moore wrote: > > Hello, > > I'm trying to f...

How can I update the data listed in the combo box to show the most
I have a Database where tables are linked back to the master data tables. The main entry/edit form has a section (as shown) the new Carer record is entered using a separate form then the detail is called from the main form using a combo box. My problem is that the newly entered Carer data does not appear in the list of carers. F9 does not work, closing and re-opening the main form does not work. When I check the item is listed in the Carer table. My question is how can I update the data listed in the combo box to show the most recent record. I would be really grate...

can I free digital id?
http://www.thawte.com -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "Brenda515" <Brenda515@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote Nothing, but fortunately, the crystal ball is working this morning. ...

Active cell
Hello, this is my VBA Macro: I want to select "clastrow" as my active cell. is that possible ? Thanks, Sub SumM() Dim clastrow As Long Dim olast As Range clastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "I").End(xlUp).Row MsgBox clastrow Set olast = Range("I" & clastrow) isum = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Range("I4:I" & olast)) ActiveCell.Value = isum End Sub Not quite Jeff, You get the last row, cLastRow, but then use that cell rather than the row in the formula. Try Sub SumM() Dim clastrow As Long Dim olast As Range Dim iSum clastrow = Cells(Rows.Co...

To show a message box if the mouse is over a particular cell??
Is there a particular way to display a message box,(or run any other sub) if the user puts the mouse over it lets say for cell A1. Like it display comments for cells that have comments in them. Since, there is a property of in excel to response to mousehover, I expect that this can be done. I don't think you'll find a solution in excel for that mouse over a cell problem. But if you could rely on change of selection, you could tap into the worksheet_selectionchange event. That'll fire if you use the mouse, arrow keys, page up/down, ... Subodh wrote: > > Is ...

Reducing the blank space around text in Excel 2007
In cell format\alignment the indent is set at 0which I believe is the default. So the blank space around the cell's text is the default. I would like to reduce that blank space (padding) even further but Excel will not permit me to enter a negative indent figure. Is there another way to reduce the default blank space around text in a cell? Thanks, Jeff on 7/28/2011, Jeff@nospam.invalid supposed : > In cell format\alignment the indent is set at 0which I believe is the > default. So the blank space around the cell's text is the default. > > I would like to reduce tha...

How do I include cell contents from a form in generic statements/strings within the form?
I have a form that contains NAME in cell A:1, and GENDER in cell B:2. I want to build a library of generic statements along the lines of: NAME tries hard, but if HE/SHE tried harder HIS/HER results would be much better. How can I make these statements get NAME from A:1, and derive HE or SHE and HIS or HER from GENDER in B:2? =A1&" tries hard, but if "&IF(B1="M","he","she")&" tried harder "&IF(B1="M","his","her")&" results would be much better" -- HTH Bob (there's no ...

How can I get notified whenever a certain excel file is updated (.
I need to receive a notification whenever one certain excel file is updated (by anyone) on our local area network. What are my options to automate this? Hi Ann Maybe you can use this http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/change.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "AnnL@work" <AnnL@work@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8B27CA8-5448-4E66-BB88-7A6B4F415C88@microsoft.com... >I need to receive a notification whenever one certain excel file is updated > (by anyone) on our local area network. What are my options to automate this? ...

how can I email the results and aviod getting an "Update the sheet?" message?
I have a worksheet containing several sheets many of which are "linked" by formulae embedded in certain cells. Many of the sheets contain a table showing the results. These tables are formatted to have colours etc and to generally "look nice" I often have to email the data tables from only one or two of those sheets but it seems tha twhen the recipients get them and open them, they get a message telling them that the sheets are linked to another source and asking them " do you want to update the cells" (or wording similar to that) Apart from simply cutting and p...

I can't find the INVOICE TOOLBAR
I'm using the Invoice template which has an "autonumber" button. It requires me to open the INVOICE TOOLBAR which I can't find. It does not show in the list of toolbars. Hi AhSee i've not used the invoice template provided by MS .. but i have written an alternative system to give people an some ideas if they'ld like to create their own invoice / ordering system ... if you'ld like a copy of it, email me direct julied @ hctsdotnet dotau Cheers JulieD "AhSee" <AhSee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CBF5420-5EFD-42FD-8A22-B...

Text/Input Boxes not appearing
Morning, I have many workstations now not displaying text boxes/content boxes within sharepoint (2003 SBS version). Any other site will display forms but not sharepoint. This does not seem to effect all machines and seems to have nothing to do with permissions as i have tried with all types of users. I have tried changing all the security settings with no luck either. I have also tried in many different browsers. Is there something simple im overlooking? Here is a link to a screenshot, as you can see the only thing that appears is the assign to drop down, nothing else. ...

how can I change color cursor? Legally blind, contrast important.
how can I change color cursor? Legally blind, contrast important. I am pretty sure you can't, but you may find some combination of Windows accessibility options that would help make it more visible to you. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "vokmaar van waag...

Can I *easily* rename folders?
Am using Outlook 2002. I made a few backups (using export function), and they all got the name "Personal Folder" which makes it hard to distinguish what's open if I open all of them up along with others. Of course, for future ones, now I tell it during the export process to use a different name like "Personal Folder Backup1", etc. But is there an easy way to just rename the existing ones I've got? ....without opening ,re-exporting to new name, then deleting old name? Thanks Add all the desired PST files to your profile in Outlook through File | Data File Mana...

lookup multiple values in single cell
Hello there - Im looking for some help with a lookup. I have two spreadsheets. One with a simple list of numeric values: Spreadsheet A 1004 24965 66435 25459 7785 1008 26885 The other has multiple values in a single cell: Spreadsheet B 1004,24965,66435,25459 7785 1008 26885 The delimiter does vary, but it is always a non numeric. Id like to be able to find the row number in spreadsheet B where m value from Spreadsheet A appears. Thanks very much for your time. Andrew -- boneshom --------------------------------------------------...

add accents to text
I want to add accents to first/last names in a spreadsheet I'd also like to be able to add scientific symbols to text in a spreadsheet. From your START button go to Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map Slow way: use Select/Copy then Paste into Excel Faster way: click on the accented letter you want, look at bottom right corner (eg for ï {as in naïve} you'll see "Keystroke: Alt + 0239). Do this for all the accented letters you think you will need. Keep the paper handy and use the Alt + four digit code to obtain your results. Stephen Powell "mtambeau...

Same database can not opened in the other computer.
Hello, I found it now that my church database can be run in my office computer, but when I run it in my laptop I can not oper it with the erorr message: The document filename.mdb caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would youlike to continue opening it?". Is this the work of Virus, I have McAffee antivirus in my laptop. Thanks for any help -- Frank Situmorang Hi Frank, Have you tried bringing a copy from the computer at your church to replace your existing copy at home? Perhaps your copy is corrupted. Note: It would be best to stick to the thr...

Excel converts text to formulas %@#$
I wish Microsoft stopped developing "helpful" programs. All their "auto" stuff leads to nothing but problems. Here is an example: I have to process data which come as CSV files and contain entries that look like multiplication e.g "3*4". Damn Excel can't handle these. Every chance it gets, it turns them into "=3*4" and displays "12". Any one knows how to kill this behaviour? Please share the knowledge. Henryk Birecki Henryk Birecki wrote... >I wish Microsoft stopped developing "helpful" programs. All their >"auto&q...

Link Chart with data cell (cl
This was your questio Hi I want to link all the points in my xychart with the rows of the data that are in the chart. i.e. after a mouseclick on the chart data the user will be redirected to the data row The idea is to create a link to a text cell, situated in the same row as the data, which explains the details to each point Thanks in advance for your help Mattia ...

how can I set a default language in PPT2007?
unlike Word, PPT does not appear to let the user define a default language that is used throughout a complete ppt document. PPT picks up the language from your keyboard. You can specify the language on your placeholders. Go to View | Slide Master, select the various placeholders, then choose the language for them on the Review tab. You can use the code at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245468 to change the language throughout the presentation. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/...

Excel 97 Can't setup page to print Landscape
I am using Windows 2000 Professional and Office 97 to HP 4000 and 5000 printers. When using Excel, I can not change the page setup to print landscape. When the radio button for Landscape is pressed, the print preview and the print job are still printed in portrait. Any suggestions before I try a reinstall of Office. Thanks in advance Joan ...

how can i print a preview of a right hand page
In a publisher document I want to print preview a right hand page, but all I can preview are left hand pages Are you trying to print or simply wanting to view? What version Publisher are you using? How do you have your publication setup? If you just want a preview in 2007... File, print, type the page number, print preview. You can cancel out of this screen. Do you have the page sorter status bar on the bottom of your screen? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "fiona farthingale" <fiona farthingale@disc...

Size of plot area expands when Chart Title is deleted
Hi, I have a worksheet with about 8 charts on it. On all but 1 chart, when I delete the Chart Title, the plot area expands. Can anyone tell me why this happens? I'm no chart expert and I can't seem to find any obvious setting that would control that behavior. -- TIA Chuck M. If you have not manually adjusted the plot area size, Excel considers it the default size. This default size changes based on whether there are axis titles, a chart title, and a legend. Adding or removing any of these features causes the Excel to change the plot area, To prevent this behavior, change the ...

How can I request to create a new Formula?
The fomula is a mix of VLOOKUP and SEARCH: =VSEARCH(A1;table1!A:A;2;false) In the A1 is the Text “Shell GmbH” In the A2 is the Text “Deutsche Shell” In the A3 is the Text “Shell LTD.” In Table1 Colum A it says Shell In Table1 Colum B it says Shell Group The result would be that the formula would give back always “Shell Group”. The option “true” would even accept “Shel” or “Schell” Thanks, Eckhard ...

Deleting Blank Characters in a Cell
I have a list of names with email addresses of attendees of a seminar series that I am trying to compile into a list that can be copied and pasted into an email (using BCC as the methodology for emailing). The challenge that I have is that when these files were exported from the database to excel (not sure how), all of the cells contain exactly 100 characters even though the email address may only contain 13-20 characters. Is there a way to "trim" the blank characters after the last character that is used by a letter instead of blank character field? Thanks in advance! PZan --...

wrap text
hi gurus under the following I need help. I am trying to type the following set under task name in just one field but the shift->enter does not work , so I need help the first line here and then: A. the bullet here B. the bullet here C. the bullet here can I get soem help making this happen -- guaro ------------------------------------------------------------------------ guaro's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/219556.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1336460.htm http://forums.techarena.in As far as I ...