How do I encrypt Social Security Numbers in Excel worksheet?

To comply with federal and university regulations, we need to encrypt
sensitive data, such as Social Security numbers.  How can this be done in
Excel?
0
gracerod (2)

"gracerod" <gracerod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To comply with federal and university regulations, we need to encrypt
> sensitive data, such as Social Security numbers.  How can this be done in
> Excel?

Do you actually need to work with those numbers, or are they there just
because they are? And, for each person's record, is there any other unique
identifying number, perhaps one created by the school?

Grace,

You could hide the column, then protect the sheet with a password.  Or you
could put the social security numbers in a separate sheet, along with only
the names and any other stuff that will also uniquely identify people.  You
could keep that sheet hidden.  You need to say what you're using them for,
if at all, since you don't want them in plain view.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"gracerod" <gracerod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To comply with federal and university regulations, we need to encrypt
> sensitive data, such as Social Security numbers.  How can this be done in
> Excel?

0
someone798 (944)

Unhide columns through Excel Viewer
I have an Excel document that I am viewing with Excel Viewer. It is a document of weekly totals, where the Author has hidden all of the prior weeks totals. Author said to just "unhide" the columns, but have been unable to locate where to do that through Viewer. Is it even possible? A Viewer is a viewer. To change an Excel file you need Excel best wishes Bernard "hummels" <hummels@tce.com> wrote in message news:97152248.0411170921.2eaea5d@posting.google.com... >I have an Excel document that I am viewing with Excel Viewer. It is a > document of weekly total...

Emailing XML direct from Excel
Please help! I have a problem with Excel 2003 and Excel 2002 where if I open an XML Spreadsheet file in Excel and then select File - Send To - Mail Recipient as Attachment, Excel converts the XML to XLS before attaching it. Is there someway I can make Excel leave the document alone so that XML gets sent on? I need to open XML, allow changes to cells, save changes and send as XML to be further parsed etc. This works fine if the XML is opened in Internet Explorer (Excel 2003 only) but not in Excel itself. Could someone please test and tell me if this is happening for them too or whet...

Counting number of dates in a column earlier than today
Hi, Please can someone advise me on the formula I require for this problem. I would like to calculate the number of dates in a specified column, that equal to the current date or the date has passed. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated Hi, Try =COUNTIF(G:G,"<="&TODAY()) Will return the number of dates in column G that are =< today "dnmnas" wrote: > Hi, > Please can someone advise me on the formula I require for this problem. > > I would like to calculate the number of dates in a specified column, that > equal to the current date or th...

Analysing data from several excel workbooks
Hi, I'm totally new to excel and i need to analyse the changes in a funding position across several years in a seperate excel sheet. As in, submissions are made year on year showing the amount of revenue spent on several different services. I need to be able to compare how those have moved over the last 5 years in a single spreadsheet. I appreciate any help. Thanks To give a clear answer we would need a bit more detail of the data layout Give us a simplified version of what the data looks like Your 'subject' talks about different workBOOKS but the text of the ...

Running Access Query Returns Incorrect Number of Records
I am running some code which loops through and runs the queries in an Access Database. The count of the records is then stored in a Worksheet. For most of the queries, the figure stored in the Worksheet matches the number of records if you run the query in Access. But for certain queries, the count of the records does not match the number of records when the query is run in Access. If I change the query to a make table query and then base another query on that table, the results are correct. Can anybody suggest running the query from Excel would results in a different number of records bein...

Sort Worksheets #2
How do I sort sheets in a workbook, please? Thanks! Check out http://cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm In article <e02c01c43c07$5afeeb70$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Manhar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I sort sheets in a workbook, please? Thanks! Hi see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm >-----Original Message----- >How do I sort sheets in a workbook, please? Thanks! >. > ...

Too Many Excel Apps running
I recently installed Excel 2010. My operating system is XP Pro. Ever since I installed Excel 2010 I find that every time I open an Excel file it opens a new Excel. It is not unusual for me to have 5 different Excels open even after I close a file. My bottom ribbon is full of Excels! I previously used Excel 2003 and did not have this problem. I know these are different Excels operating because I am unable to open a split window to show two different files. Note - I usually open my files via Explorer. Is there a setting that I can use to require that my single open Excel can open any new Exce...

Excel document changes format
Hi, I have an Excel document that changes format unexpectedly. It seems to change the format of the document eventhough i saved it. I have to resize the windows of the bar graphs, etc. It just doesn't save it the way i want. I re-installed MSOffice and re-did the NT profile, but still persists. Any ideas? Thanks. Excel does seem to have problems if the screen zoom is anything othe than 100%. Usually changing to 100 and back resets he screen display -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Worksheet Problem 01-04-10
So I have a couple of issues. I go to open up a file today and try to unhide two worksheets that were hidden, and they are gone. I can still see them in VBA, but cannot open them and they are not visible at all in excel. I also am having trouble inserting a new worksheet. All the options are they, but I am not able to select insert. Any help would be appreciated. CHeck to see if workbook protection is activated. That would prevent you from being able to add new sheets (or unhide). Also, in VBE, check to see if the missing sheets have a visible status of "xlSheetVe...

Export Access Record to Specific Cells in Excel
I'm looking for suggestions on how to export data from an Access table or Query into specific cells of a Worksheet. The table I'm importing will always contain a single record only. For example, I'd like to export data from Field1, field2...etc in an access table to Sheet2!A3, Sheet2!B3...etc. Any sugestions would be most appreciative. ...

Excel 2007 and Word 2007 Hangs when using the File -> Open command
I have a couple users that when they have Excel 2007 or Word 2007 open, and click the File -> Open option, and choose a file, it either takes about 3 minutes to open the file or the program will crash. If they were to double click on the documents or spreadsheets, the doc or sheet will open right up. This is happening on the user's Hard drive as well as network drives. Once you get a file opened in Word or Excel, however, the next time you go to File -> Open, it's really fast to open the file. ...

Excel to publisher import
How can I import an excel spreadsheet to publisher doc.? If you want to insert the actual spreadsheet, you can go to Insert > Object > Create from file and browse to the Excel file. If you want to merge the contents of the cells, you can use the Mail Merge feature in Publisher. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80F32E78-1710-40E9-8922-CE4EBD69F5C2@microsoft.com... > How can I imp...

Macro Security #3
In the process of building an Excel spreadsheet, I added a couple of macros. (Mistake #1, I know.) I don't really need the macros, so I deleted them and saved the file. But now when I go to re-open the file, I get that annoying little "Macros may contain viruses, it is always safe to disable macros, but if the macros are legitimate, blah, blah, blah..." dialog box. (There are no macros listed in the Macro dialog box when I do the ol' Alt+F8.) I know I can reset my security level to high and not have to deal with this, but I don't want to do that; I want Excel to recogn...

GP8 Security and Modified report
Hi there this is my problem We have this bunch of modified report for different departement here With of course different security for each of them So far, the initial security has been apllied with the standard security from an external consultant. He found it easier to work with that He told me a while ago the only problem is you cannot do it by groups,,, user only So I openned "Advance security" a choose "view by alternate modified and custom". Now what I see is not the same as standard security User for a particular report that doesn't have access ...

Linking Word and Excel #2
I have a Word document with a large number of tables linked to cells in an Excel spreadsheet. The tables in the worksheet are in the same order as those in the Word document. I would like to insert a new table between other tables linked to the Excel spreadsheet but when I insert the new table between the others in the Excel spreadsheet, it invalidates all the other linked information. I take this to mean that the links are not absolute references. Is there any way to do this without having to reconstruct the links? Thanks ...

Excell 2007 messing up graphics
I have an invoice Excel sheet setup with my company logo on it. For some reason Excel 2007 messes it up during printing. It prints it about 10 times the size. I tried to re create the work sheet and it still will not print the graphic. It show it ok but will not print it. When I go to Print Preview the logo (JPG graphing) is not seen at all. Any Ideas what is going on? ...

can you date time stamp entries in excel
is it possible that when someone puts an entry on a shared worksheet in excel it can automatically date and time stamp their entry. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(By Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:H10")) Is Nothing Then With Target .Offset(0, 1).Value = Format(Now, "dd mmm yyy hh:mm") End With End If ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be 'placed in the appropriate ...

random sequence of numbers
How do I generate a random sequence of numbers? e.g. simulating pulling the numbers 1 through 25 out of a hat. One way: Put the numbers 1 through 25 in A1:A25. Put this in B1 and copy down to B25: =RAND() Select any cell in the A1:B25 and choose Data/Sort. Sort on column B (ascending or descending, doesn't matter) with no headers. If you need to save the sequence copy A1:A25 to a different location. Since RAND() will recalculate after the sort, you can get another random sequence by choosing Data/Sort again. In article <1eb301c38762$7f1fef90$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "...

Hierarchical Worksheet Tabs??? New Excel feature?
I do not know if newer versions of Excel than I have have this function, but in working with a budget in Excel, it sure would be a nice feature to be able to "stack" in a hierarchy the worksheet tabs at the bottom, instead of scrolling horizontally for hundreds of feet! In other words, I want to have a Worksheet "Travel Budget" and instead of having each month's in a horizontal tab, I could scroll up and down from a "Master" worksheet to sub-worksheets ties to the master...instead of just adding worksheet after worksheet in an ever growing hard to mana...

Like numbers in a field
I am working with a 25,000 row parts issue listing that was created by parts issue date. There are many repeat numbers in the part number column as the same part would have been issued on several different dates. I would like to be able to combine the like part numbers to know how many parts were issued over the course of all of the dates. Any ideas??? The Column headers are Part Number, Quantity, Unit Price, Total Price and Transaction Date. Create a new query based on your parts issue listiong table. Drag the Part number field into the query grid twice. Click on the Total...

excel #18
I have works 6.0 instaled on a xp system but i want to upgrade to excel because i have save document as save type formated text(space delimited)(*prn)and works does not have this format. First, I don't use MSWorks. But if that's the only reason for your upgrade, you might want to try this to see if it works in MSWorks: In excel, you can concatenate a bunch of cells into one cell. You could use the =concatenate() function or the & operator: =a1&b1&c1 will join a1, b1, c1 in one cell. But if you're shooting for .prn file (fixed width), you could see if you have t...

Quit Excel problem
Hi, Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this macro? Its meant to save the spreadsheet (which it does), shut down the worksheet (which it does) and quit excel (which it doesn't!) I wondered whether it had something to do with the worksheet containing the macro shuting before excel executed the quit, but if I take out the ActiveWorksheet.Close, whilst excel closes I get a Dr.Watson application error. Sub Exit_Save() ' ' Exit_Save Macro ' This macro saves the current work and quits the application Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs _ FileN...

Catalog & Excel formatting
I am using Excel as a data source for a catalog. One of the price fields in Excel is a 'currency' format and is the result of a formula. Publisher imports the field but only displays the figure as 45 instead of £45.00. Anyone know of a solution to this problem ? I can get around it by re-formatting the field as a 'number' format but as most catalogs will involve lists of products with prices I think the 'currency' format should work. Thanks. The best thing to do is do a SAVE AS in CSV (Comma Separated Values) and add a � to the figures and then copy and paste th...

Extra Rows in Excel 2007
I recently upgraded to Excel 2007 from 2002, and a lot of the spreadsheets seem to have something extra in the rows below the end of the data. Two examples: 1) I went to the bottom of the data in a spreadsheet and made a new entry. As soon as I hit enter, the spreadsheet started scrolling down and wouldn't stop for a couple of thousand rows. 2) I saved a spreadsheet as a csv file and another application that uses the file started having problems. So I opened the csv file in WordPad and saw a couple of hundred rows of commas. That never happened with Excel 2002. I opened the ...

Dynamically titling Excel charts
I am creating a spreadsheet tool that will be distributed as a template. The output will be a chart that will graphically show the performance of a particular quote. I would like the title of the chart to be driven by the contents of one of spreadsheet cells. Is that possible? TIA Henry Boyd In article <Xns96AF736AA4A59lhboydlhbcocom@130.81.64.196>, purchasing@lhbco.com says... > I am creating a spreadsheet tool that will be distributed as a template. > The output will be a chart that will graphically show the performance of a > particular quote. I would like the t...