How do I display a formula - not the value - in another cell?

Hi gurus,

maybe this is a completely stupid question and I am blind to the obvious,
but how can I display the formula in one cell as text in another cell?
For example:
A1 = 1
A2 = 2
A3 = "=A1+A2"
A4 should show "A1+A2" (I know how to get rid of the "="...)
And I know how to do this in VBA, but I would love to be able to avoid
macros...

Best regards and thanks in advance
Youppie
0
Youppie (4)

Hi
AFAIK not possible with macros (you could use XLM macros as defined names
but they could crash excel in versions prior to Excel 2003).
So without vBA IMHO no solution

"Youppie" wrote:

> Hi gurus,
>
> maybe this is a completely stupid question and I am blind to the obvious,
> but how can I display the formula in one cell as text in another cell?
> For example:
> A1 = 1
> A2 = 2
> A3 = "=A1+A2"
> A4 should show "A1+A2" (I know how to get rid of the "="...)
> And I know how to do this in VBA, but I would love to be able to avoid
> macros...
>
> Best regards and thanks in advance
> Youppie
0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/12/2004 1:18:04 PM
Hi Frank,

thanks anyway...

Youppie

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> AFAIK not possible with macros (you could use XLM macros as defined names
> but they could crash excel in versions prior to Excel 2003).
> So without vBA IMHO no solution
>
> "Youppie" wrote:
>
> > Hi gurus,
> >
> > maybe this is a completely stupid question and I am blind to the obvious,
> > but how can I display the formula in one cell as text in another cell?
> > For example:
> > A1 = 1
> > A2 = 2
> > A3 = "=A1+A2"
> > A4 should show "A1+A2" (I know how to get rid of the "="...)
> > And I know how to do this in VBA, but I would love to be able to avoid
> > macros...
> >
> > Best regards and thanks in advance
> > Youppie
0
Youppie (4)

detect a filled out cell
Hi, I would like to check a column. If a cell has text, i want to increase a counter. could it be done using SUMIF ? something like SUMIF(Page1!A:A;cell <>"";total=total+1) i don't want to use VBA thanks, Alain Hi Alain, =COUNTIF(A:A,"<>") It will count all non-empty cells, also numbers -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Alain R." <no.valid@email.com> wrote in message news:uhSHao02DHA.3468@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I would like to check a column. > If a cell has text, i want to increase a coun...

Hyperlink via indirect cell reference

Help with a formula..
I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already tried it.. Any suggestions? Thanks! KK You'...

Rename Cell
How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? You can't. The closest you will get is to hide column headings, via Excel Option, and then create your own. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "shoe" <shoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBA970DF-D928-41EE-9565-4639E7D49BCE@microsoft.com... > How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? you cant change the headers or row labels but you can define you data as a list (or table) and the headings can then be used to refer...

Yet another duplicate record dilemma
I have a table with records where one field are duplicates. I'm able to query to find duplicates and delete them, however what I need to do is find the duplicates, produce a total from another field, delete the duplicates and update the record field with the new total. Use the Find duplicates wizard, the build an Update query and either add to the field: Update MyTable Inner Join Querty1.ID On MyTable.ID Set MyField = MyField + Query1.MyField or just update it: Update MyTable Inner Join Querty1.ID On MyTable.ID Set MyField = Query1.MyField Then delete the duplicate data. -- Ar...

Create static text from cell reference

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Cell Format #4

Trouble doing a formula for excel
Hi All I have a spreadsheet with the following A1: z:\data/pc32/tsheets\unsorder00039.csv I would like to add 1 too the number to make unsorder00040.csv and so I have try mid,right,left i can't seem to do it Cheers "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53AAB904-8595-499F-BF38-8BE00826101C@microsoft.com... > Hi All > > I have a spreadsheet with the following > A1: z:\data/pc32/tsheets\unsorder00039.csv > > I would like to add 1 too the number to make unsorder00040.csv and so > I have try mid,right,left i can't see...

Getting contents of adjacent cells

Messenger emoticons
I have changed laptops and I did grab the old laptops custom emoticons folder (all in dt2 and id2 file endings.) But when i copy everything in the folder and add it to my new laptops custom emoticons folder... they get added (i.e. show up in the folder) but the images/gifs or names dont show up on the actual msn... *what gives*? Do I have to change the dt2 endings to gif or jpeg and go to "create" in msn for each of them to add them in? (I tried with one and it worked) Only problem is i have alot, like 203 dt2 files so changing the ending to .gif and adding each singu...

copying formulas in vba
Hey guys. I was wondering if someone could help me. I am writing a vba script that takes in data, analyzes it, and then copies the results to a new file. I am having a problem with two things. 1) I am using a template for the new file so there are a lot of formulas (sums and std) already defined and ready to use. However, there are some instances where there is a random amount of additional data I have to put in. So, I have to apply the same formulas to this new data. How do I copy formulas from one cell to another (allowing for a change in row) in vba? Lets say cell(1,4) has the form...

cell selection gone crazy on Excel 2003

Excel formula #24
What is the formula that brings back a zero for an empty cell instead of 0 0 #DIV/0! Try =if(iserror(formula),0,formula) ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8392DE7F-0B65-4DEE-87F4-985133BB1976@microsoft.com... > What is the formula that brings back a zero for an empty cell instead of > 0 0 #DIV/0! > ...

Average of logic cells
I used a logic test to determine some levels from raw scores. For EG >120 =5, 119-110 = 4, etc. I now want to dtermine an average score of several of the the results from the logic tests but it doesnt seem to work. (AVG does not recognise cells with logic tests) Can anyone help, please? -- ckdkvk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ckdkvk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29245 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489704 hi, ckdkvk ! > I used a logic test to determine so...

reading and displaying memo fields
I got an ODBC database with a memo field. Now I use a CRecordSet in VC6 to read the database with CLongBinary for the memo field. After reading 18 fields he's out of memory. Is there a way to use CString instead of CLongBinary, cause it's only text in the memo fields (I already tried, but then I get an error message that the database could not be read)? Or is there a way to read all other fields first and only read the memo field when the user choose a specific item in the database? Thank you for helping me! ...

Sum amount if = 2 value's

Cell References..
I have a 12 month rolling report with a seperate worksheet within th workbook which refers to the column containing current month's Numbers When I "Cut" Column C (which contains the oldest Month) and "insert column C between N & O it shifts my cells left and all I need to do i input all of the current Month Data into Column N. The formulas al remain intact and everything is peachy. Until I goto the Workshee that refers to the Current Month on the 12 month rolling report. My problem is that when I shift the columns on the "Report" workshee it chages the cell...

Use a VBA Macro inside an Excel Cell

A student figuring a formula for wages
Hello, I am beginner student trying to figure out a formula that calculates how to pay people for the number of hours they work, and at the same time figure out any overtime they may have. The wage is in cell B4, and the # of hours is in cell C4. Overtime is figured at 1.5 of the wage in B4. I must put the end result in F4. The instructor rushed through his presentation, and said to use the "if function". The assignment is due on tuesday and any help with this is greatly appreciated. -Thanks in advance ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted fro...

Compare each value in a range to each value in another range
I am looking for a macro that will return a comparison of each cell in a range to each cell in another range. example. the first range would have vales of 1,2,3 and the second range would have values of 5,6,7 Thus the macro should return 9 possible comparisons: 1 & 5, 1 & 6, 1 & 7, 2 & 5, 2 & 6, 2 & 7, 3 & 5, 3 & 6, 3 & 7, Can anybody help me with this?? Just hazarding some thoughts here .. Perhaps using formulas would suffice ? Example: Assume 1st range is A1:A3, 2nd range is B1:B3. Then Compare 1st range against 2nd range I...

Frame window does not get displayed properly
Hi All, I have a Dialog based applciation. I want to create a Frame window when clicked on the button on Dialog. The problem is I handled the Painting of the dialog (I draw a picture on so WM_PAINT message I handle.) but doing this I am not able to draw the frame window properly. It appears to be transparent to me . I am setting the CFrameWnd to be the child of CDialog Please Can you let me know how to draw the farme window of how can I have a floting window on a dialog. Thanks Anup I don't know if what you are doing is a good idea. But if you want to have a floating window ins...