how do I create more than 266 columns in an excel sheet?

My excel sheets have by default up to column IV (aprox. 266 columns). I need
to insert more than this and also have problems with the option of "grouping"
columns. When I have most of 266 columns in use and several "groupings", when
I try to minimise them all (one by one), after a few, appears a warning pop
up messge with a message "objects cannot be moved outside the sheet" and the
action cannot be done (cannot mimise that group of columns and not anymore
until I expand/ungroup others).
0
Tolo1 (1)

The  number of columns is limited to 256 columns. This cannot be
increased.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Tolo" <Tolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My excel sheets have by default up to column IV (aprox. 266
> columns). I need
> to insert more than this and also have problems with the option
> of "grouping"
> columns. When I have most of 266 columns in use and several
> "groupings", when
> I try to minimise them all (one by one), after a few, appears a
> warning pop
> up messge with a message "objects cannot be moved outside the
> sheet" and the
> action cannot be done (cannot mimise that group of columns and
> not anymore
> until I expand/ungroup others).

0
chip1 (1821)
9/23/2005 3:38:53 PM
The maximum number of columns in an Excel worksheet is 256 - last column is
IV
There is no way to make more; if there where then some other number would be
the max!
In Help, enter the term SPECS and see the specifications for Excel
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Tolo" <Tolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My excel sheets have by default up to column IV (aprox. 266 columns). I
> need
> to insert more than this and also have problems with the option of
> "grouping"
> columns. When I have most of 266 columns in use and several "groupings",
> when
> I try to minimise them all (one by one), after a few, appears a warning
> pop
> up messge with a message "objects cannot be moved outside the sheet" and
> the
> action cannot be done (cannot mimise that group of columns and not anymore
> until I expand/ungroup others).

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
9/23/2005 3:41:24 PM
It sounds like the next version will have a meg of rows by 16k columns.

Start saving your money <bg>.

Tolo wrote:

> My excel sheets have by default up to column IV (aprox. 266 columns). I need
> to insert more than this and also have problems with the option of "grouping"
> columns. When I have most of 266 columns in use and several "groupings", when
> I try to minimise them all (one by one), after a few, appears a warning pop
> up messge with a message "objects cannot be moved outside the sheet" and the
> action cannot be done (cannot mimise that group of columns and not anymore
> until I expand/ungroup others).

--

Dave Peterson
0

Wrapping sheets within a workbook
I am working with raw data in Excel 2003 in a workbook where there are 3-5 sheets completely filled with data, all 65536 rows. There are duplicates scattered throughout the sheets. Is there a way I can link all the sheets together so that when I do a sort, it will sort all the rows on each sheet within the workbook? You would need a macro to do that. This is an example of a Merge Sort algorithm - you would need to sort each individual sheet, and then you could look at the topmost item in each sheet and decide which record should be written to a new sheet (and adjust a counter for the sh...

count number of sheets in workbook
Is there a way using VBA to count and report the total number o worksheets in another closed workbook. I don't mind briefly opening and closing the workbook to perform th function. I am attaching the workbook in an email and wanted to includ the total number of sheets in the body of the email. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following Option Explicit sub foo() Dim wbk As Workbook Dim count_wks Dim path As String Dim wbk_filename As String 'Initialization Application.ScreenUpdating = False path = "D:\Temp\" 'change this log_fil...

how can i append data to a sheet or book from another one
we can append data to a file from anther file in dbase. is it possible in excel??????? Abdulla, if you are looking for a VBA solution check out the below links by Ron de Bruin.. http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy2.htm http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Jacob "Abdulla" wrote: > we can append data to a file from anther file in dbase. is it possible in > excel??????? ...

excel VBA

Need help with Excel Form & ComboBox Tutorial
At http://www.excel-vba.com/v-forms-controls.htm I have followed instructions... my code on the form is below but it won't run... I've marked the error... Can anybody give me any help with this? thanks Code is below-------------- Private Sub cmdBtnSubmit_Click() shReport.Range("C4").Value = cbxCity.Value cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub cmdCityCancel_Click() cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub UserForm_Activate() shParameterst.Activate '<-----Run Time Error 424 - Object Required...

"Do you want to save" when Excel OPENS
I understand about the "Do you want to save" message when you close Excel, even if you didn't make any changes: Excel doesn't distinguish between real changes and the recalculation of volatile functions. But at work we've had a user claim that he gets the message when he OPENS Excel when our add-in is checked (having been checked when Excel was open before). Specifically, it asks "Do you want to save changes to Sheet 2?" I'm sure it's not our add-in as such, since no one has ever report this before. But it may be some interaction between our add-...

Number of active sheets
I have Office 2003 installed to Windows 2003 terminal servers but I have a problem with on of our users and excel. The issue is that when the user is trying to have multiple spreadsheets opened he keeps getting the message "This operations has been cancelled due to system restrictions- Contact your system Administrator" I can find no setting in excel to enforce a limit on the number of speadsheets a user can have open. Thanks in advance fo any advise Michael Not an expert in these matters, but; Is it possible that the user is trying to initiate another session of Excel vs....

Excel Time Problem
I exported a file from a telephone switch reporting system as a "tab separated text" file, because when I export the data in Excel I have to deal with merged cells and other formatting problems. I have a couple of columns that have time values like 160:02:05 for logged in time, and 34:16:46 as the waiting dime� Both are time �DURATIONS� or time in a state. I used the Format, Cell, custom and [ss] to get the duration value to seconds, and I get 123406 and 576125 respectively. I then use these numbers in a calculation typically like 1338 / (576125 - 123406) and I get 219 as the an...

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

Data Validation Lists Across Sheets
I have a data-validation list box. Is it possible for the source cells for the list to be on another sheet from the one in which the list-box appears? I know similar questions have been asked before (I poked around before I submitted this), and one fellow suggested that a data-validation iist-box can reference another sheet if the list on the other sheet is named. Sadly, I don't know how to do this. If cell A1 on Sheet 1, for example, has a list box whose source cells are Sheet 2, A1:A20, how do I assign a name to get the validation to work? No matter what I do, I get a pop-up sayi...

Add Text Field Columns
PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? -- On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:38:49 -0600, bw wrote: > PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) > > I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a > concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? How does one add "This is text." + "this is also text&qu...

import data from txt to specific col & rows in sheet
I want ot import data from txt files to certain worksheets. I have 10 sheets in one workbook and every data from the txt has to go to diferent sheets. SEcondly the data should go into certain column in that sheet. I have already created lables for the columns. ...

excel #76
i have two different spreadsheets containing two columns, column A contains reference numbers (both sheets will have the same refernces) column B will contain the amounts which may differ on each sheet. i need to run a compare program to identify all amounts that differ between the spreadsheets for the same refernce number. for eample sheet 1 reference no amount 111 120.00 112 345.90 113 122.50 sheet 2 reference no amount 111 0.00 112 345.90 113 100.00 how can i find out the amounts and refernces...

Re: Two-Column Problem
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Charley Kyd <kyd@incsight.com>... > But now, when I add a pair of pages, Publisher gives me guides for two > columns per page but gives me only one page-wide textbox per page, > not two. Can't you create your text boxes yourself? Or change the text box that appears to a two-column one? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm ...

EXCEL.exe has generated errors
For an knowned reason, the following message recently started to display when clicking on EXCEL on an Windows 2000 system. EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will needed to restart the program. An error log is being created. (OK) Attempts have been made to repair, deinstall and reinstall Office 2000. However, the above message still displays with trying to bring up EXCEL. Can anyone help? This WebPage by Chip Pearson provides a good place to troubleshoot. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm HTH Paul --...

Excel 2007 dates and conditional formats
Can anyone please tell me why I can not use a conditional format (<>=) to identify if a date is greater or smaller then another. Everytime I try it, Excel does it right in the first column but misses by 2 days in all following. It also appears to have problems with the years. Example: Date of propposed compleation of a task is 10/10/07; if the date of actual completion is 10/10/07 or sooner, turn GREEN. If the date of completion is 10/11/07 or older, turn RED. Can anyone help?? Regards Mary Hi Mary, First thing to check: What does 10/11/07 mean? November 10 1907? November 10 2007? O...

Column spacing
Is there any way I can control the spacing between the columns in the layout guides (chosen from the Arrange menu)? I want to set 0.7 cm column spacing for a text frame split into 3 columns and see the guides for this setting so that I can then use individual text frames on a second page. I know I can set the column spacing in the text frame formatting option but this is not reflected in the layout guides. Please can anyone help? I am using Publisher 2000. I have this work around - I make my own ruler. Make pull a rectangle, looking at the "size" indication in the lower r...

Data in columns not rows
I have file that is names, addresses and phone numbers. When I copy it into excel it comes out like this. (COLUMNA) NAME ADDRESS ADDRESS2 PHONE I need it to be like this COLUMNA COLUMNB COLUMNC COLUMND NAME ADDRESS ADDRESS2 PHONE Is there a way to change this without copying and pasting? Jenn Is the data consistently 4 rows? Or do you have varying sets? How far down Column A do the sets extend? If 4 rows per set try this..... In B1 enter =INDEX($A$1:$A$3000,(ROW()-1)*4+COLUMN()-1,1) Drag/copy across to E1 then select B1:E1 and drag/copy down u...

Creating a new document from a multiple paged Excel document
Can I save only one page of an existing Excel multiple page document? If so, how? Thanks to anyone that can take the time to answer/instruct. Right-click the sheet tab that you want, and hit Move or Copy. Choose "Create a copy" and then, from the dropdown, choose "new book". **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ ******************************** "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBBDECC6-2432-41D4-99F2-C1EF10B1EC1F@microsoft.com... > Can I save only one page of...

how do i create a quiz using excel?
hey guys...i badly need to make a quiz using excel,,,i got no clue how to do it. the quiz will be a simple one, no drop downs and should display the scores after the quiz is taken.... please help! Andruu, What type of quiz are you looking to create? What format are the answers? Numbers? Text? One suggestion..... 1. Add questions *What is 2 x 2?* 2. Assign cells for the user to insert their answers. (format cells as text/numbers etc) *Cell: B2* 3. Either in hidden cells, or on a seperate sheet, put the correct answers 4. Assign a point value for each correct answer (can be different for ...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

Only 1 taskbar button when i open 2 excel documents
Hi all. When i open 2 excel documents i have only 1 taskbar button on the taskbar even though i did not choose the option to group similar taskbar buttons under taskbar properties. Hence when i want to switch between the 2 documents i need to go to window and select them. Hence how do i solve this so that i can have 2 taskbar buttons of the excel documents on the taskbar? Thks in advance. Tools>Options>View, check Windows In taskbar -- HTH Bob Phillips "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F715432-2EB2-47AC-B737-56D63F37537A@mi...

Creating a Word document from an ASP.NET application
Hello, I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can be used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server without Office on it) to create a Word document based on a template (.dot) that is used only for the bookmarks properties (replaced momentarily with a personnal values). Best Regards, On Jun 21, 1:34=A0pm, "Bruno MAIGNAN" <bruno.maig...@ca-atlantica.fr> wrote: > Hello, > I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can= be > used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server witho...

Scrolling in Excel
Please help My spreadsheet has a 'frozen' row at the top containing column headers, when I scroll down through my rows below, excel scrolls down 3 rows at a time. Now because my data in the rows below is in sections (1 section contains 5 rows) sometimes I end up viewing 2 different sections (half of one and half of the one below) at the same time. Is there anyway you can instruct excel to only jump down so many lines when you scroll down? Many thanks -- Bensum Change the mouse wheel settings in the Control Panel of the operating system you use. Bensum wrote...

excel opens under task bar
hi, I find that excel always opens under the taskbar. is there some way to 'reset' the opening position to the screen dimensions + taskbar size so it opens below ? it seems to do this on XP pro and 98 SE from time to time. thanks, kd ...