How do I create a spread sheet w/a numerator/denomenator?

I am creating a spread sheet that has different numerators and denomenators
for each data point. I was going to use "fractions" (i.e. 2/3 = 2 out of 3 is
positive) however it is then converted into simpler terms loosing the
denomenator feature.

Such as 2/4 is then changed to 1/2 so I lose the accuracy of the denomenator.

Any ideas of how I can keep the integrity of both the numerator totals and
the denomenator totals?
0
Denise1 (113)

Hi!

Why not just enter them as text?

'2/3
'2/4

Biff

"Denise" <Denise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am creating a spread sheet that has different numerators and denomenators
> for each data point. I was going to use "fractions" (i.e. 2/3 = 2 out of 3
> is
> positive) however it is then converted into simpler terms loosing the
> denomenator feature.
>
> Such as 2/4 is then changed to 1/2 so I lose the accuracy of the
> denomenator.
>
> Any ideas of how I can keep the integrity of both the numerator totals and
> the denomenator totals?

0
biffinpitt (3172)
5/17/2005 2:45:17 AM
Enter numerator in B3   --->  2
Enter denominator in C3   --->  3
D3     =B3&"/"&C3   <<   Displays     2/3

"Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Why not just enter them as text?
>
> '2/3
> '2/4
>
> Biff
>
> "Denise" <Denise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am creating a spread sheet that has different numerators and
denomenators
> > for each data point. I was going to use "fractions" (i.e. 2/3 = 2 out of
3
> > is
> > positive) however it is then converted into simpler terms loosing the
> > denomenator feature.
> >
> > Such as 2/4 is then changed to 1/2 so I lose the accuracy of the
> > denomenator.
> >
> > Any ideas of how I can keep the integrity of both the numerator totals
and
> > the denomenator totals?

0
jmay (696)
5/17/2005 10:12:43 AM
I need to have the numerators and denom add separately to maintain the total
numbers of both.

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Why not just enter them as text?
>
> '2/3
> '2/4
>
> Biff
>
> "Denise" <Denise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am creating a spread sheet that has different numerators and denomenators
> > for each data point. I was going to use "fractions" (i.e. 2/3 = 2 out of 3
> > is
> > positive) however it is then converted into simpler terms loosing the
> > denomenator feature.
> >
> > Such as 2/4 is then changed to 1/2 so I lose the accuracy of the
> > denomenator.
> >
> > Any ideas of how I can keep the integrity of both the numerator totals and
> > the denomenator totals?

0
Denise1 (113)
5/18/2005 5:21:15 PM
Thank you, I will try that...

"Jim May" wrote:

> Enter numerator in B3   --->  2
> Enter denominator in C3   --->  3
> D3     =B3&"/"&C3   <<   Displays     2/3
>

> "Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > Why not just enter them as text?
> >
> > '2/3
> > '2/4
> >
> > Biff
> >
> > "Denise" <Denise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am creating a spread sheet that has different numerators and
> denomenators
> > > for each data point. I was going to use "fractions" (i.e. 2/3 = 2 out of
> 3
> > > is
> > > positive) however it is then converted into simpler terms loosing the
> > > denomenator feature.
> > >
> > > Such as 2/4 is then changed to 1/2 so I lose the accuracy of the
> > > denomenator.
> > >
> > > Any ideas of how I can keep the integrity of both the numerator totals
> and
> > > the denomenator totals?

0
Denise1 (113)

Creating and setting location for Excel Charts
Hi! I have to write some code that's supposed to create a report in Excel, where some of the reports will contain more charts and some less (because they have less data) and I have to create the charts programmatically ofcourse. My problem is that I couldn't figure out how to set the location of the chart so it will be for example under a sepcific row in the sheet. Please post an answer! Thanks in advance! Hi Zzzbla, Use something like this, ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Left = Range("E5").Left ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Top = Range("E5").Top ...

Moving complete row from one sheet to another
I would like to be able to have a complete row moved from my curren sheet to my closed sheet by changing one value in one cell. I woul like to be able to have this work in every cell of a sigle column. Jus as a side note, the cell I would like to use is also set to validatio from a list in my Data 1 sheet. This is the best source for my needs so dar, thanks guys!! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I think that you'll need to supply a few more details to get useful responses. I would open the secondary workbooks to add that row, then save and close it. But I'm betti...

Using Promp in input box to move between sheets in a workbook
I am looking for a macro that I can use to move between the sheets in a workbook by using promp in an "input box". I have a series of sheets with tables and information on all of them. I want to be able to press a button which will activate a macro with a prompt, eg : "To which sheet do you want to go?" Then I want to see a list of the sheets as one has when one "right clicks" on the arrows on the bottom lefthand corner of the the worksheet and click on the name of the sheet to which I want to go. I should be able to add a sheet to the workbook and it will aut...

how can I create a newsletter using microsoft publisher?
I am completely new to using microsoft publisher and I need quick and easy instructions for creating a newslette. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. The newletter is for a community youth group located in Los Angeles. I just need basic instructions for getting started. Thanks. Select File, New and the Wizard will come up. From the Wizard, select one of the Newsletter sample. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Joseph" <Joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7071C57-C525-4C11-BCA8-E67496F17079@microsoft.com... >I am completely new to using microsof...

Creating Views with Indexes for entire Database Excluding UniqueIdentifier field
I would like to create a view for the entire Database. The view should exclude any fields which is UniqueIdentifer (Type=36) . Also when creating a Indexes for View it should exclude any index which uses UniqueIdentifier field. The table name and View name should be same. The index name should also match. I am going to create a New schema which will hold all the views. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

using extended mapi to create a pst file and add items to it #2
Hi, We're migrating users from a proprietary mail system to Exchange and hence We'd like to import the existing messages into .pst files, so the users can access them from Outlook once they're on Exchange. Now, I can't find anything about how to create a .pst file and add email items into it using extended mapi. Can anybody list the simple roadmap for me? Any urls to code samples will be very helpful. In addition, any suggestions of a simple and fast way to do the pst part other that using mapi in c++? aparna ...

VBA
Hi, I am trying to find a way of determining whether variables (in a large array of 35000 data points, defined as Single) are actually blank or are really zero. I appreciate that numeric variables default to 0. In my case, I dimension my large array as single, then set it equal to a range. The range will contain empty cells (perhaps up to half the time), signifying missing data, but may also contain data values that are 0. I want to distinguish between these possibilities. I appreciate that I could declare the array as variant or string, then test to see if individual elements are blan...

error about create dialog
hi, all i download the mpc(media player classic) code, the process of compiling is ok, but when i run it(debug mode), i got an unhandled exception in this line: m_wndCaptureBar.Create(this);(mainfrm.cpp) i tracked it, hWnd = ::CreateDialogIndirect(hInst, lpDialogTemplate, pParentWnd->GetSafeHwnd(), AfxDlgProc); at this line throw the exception. i dont know what happened. someone can give me some tips? maybe my english is bad, i wish you can understand the meaning. Best Regards... Hi, One of the reasons this could happen is that the resources are not compiled into the proje...

Can I create my own chart template in Excel?
I'm creating 20 or 30 charts in excel and I want them all to have the same format. For example, I'd like the background a particular color, the fonts a particular size, the scale from 0 to 100, etc....What I have been doing is manually making the individual adjustments to each chart, but I think there must be a way that I can do it for one chart and do a "apply template" or something for the remaining charts. I searched through the help menu but couldn't find how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Matt Copy your template chart, select other char...

run on each sheet after
on each sheet in workbook after sheet "oranges", run macro "apples" Hi, Try this For x = Sheets("Oranges").Index + 1 To Worksheets.Count Call apples Next -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "J.W. Aldridge" wrote: > on each sheet in workbook after sheet "oranges", run macro "apples" > . > On reflection you will have to pass the value of X to sub apples to do anyt...

Sheets #3
Hi, I have 3 sheets of many items with a column of prices. I have a sub total of the cost at the bottom of each sheet. That is simple. I would like the bottom of the third sheet to calculate the total value of the sub totals of the 3 sheets. How can I identify the sub totals of each of the 3 sheets so that the bottom of the third sheet would calculate the total cost? Thanks Bert Hi do they all have a lable (e.g. in column A)? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bert" <2pickss@monmouth.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:#sZoLQ1xEHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >...

One Meeting w/ Multiple Presenters @ Different Times
I have a recurring weekly meeting scheduled with the same invitees. However, each week we have different presenters join for only a portion of the call. For example, it's a two hour meeting with 4 presentations of 1/2 hour each. The presenters change each week. I'd like to keep the 2 hour invite on the regular attendees calendar and then the 1/2 hour sections for each presenter on their own calendars as I schedule them. Is there a way to do this? Any suggestions? Thanks Rather than try to juggle the presenters' calendars. why not just create an agenda f...

How to export all chartobjects in a sheet to powerpoint (creating a new ppt file) as pictures?
Hi, I've seen some code examples doing this, does anybody have it or know it? Question: I have no control what office version except that it is not -97 but 2000 or later. Are there any things I need to know/think of regarding that? Kind Regards Gunnar, Jon Peltier has some very detailed instructions on his site that might help: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html -- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Gunnar Johansson" wrote: > Hi, > > I've seen some code examples doing this, does anybody have it or know it? > > Question: I h...

Confused about sheets and "Select" vs "Activate"
I am able to run the following code below: Workbooks("DataBook.xlsm").Sheets(4).Activate However, why does the following code give an error message: Workbooks("DataBook.xlsm").Sheets(4).Select ' ERROR!!! I thought a sheet "activate" call was the same thing as a sheet "select" call. Can anybody explain what is going on here?? thank u i'm guessing you're trying to select a sheet in a non-active workbook. do you have more than 1 workbook open? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Robert...

How to create
Hi! I want to access data from another Excel-File. The name of according file is the concatenation of "data" and the (text-) value in Column A. This works... A B -- ----------------------------------------------------------- 01 =index('[file01]data'!$A$A; match(...,'[file01]data'!$B$B)) 02 =index('[file02]data'!$A$A; match(...,'[file02]data'!$B$B)) 03 =index('[file03]data'!$A$A; match(...,'[file03]data'!$B$B)) 04 =index('[file04]data'!$A$A; match(...,'[file04]data'!$B$B)) .... but I would like to replace the t...

Created searches inconsistent
Hmm still happening, anybody seen this before? Not a pc problem as we've tried on a desktop and a laptop. Tried recreating profile and still the same. Thanks Paul "Paul" <chewbacca@wookie.org> wrote in message news:%234IcFUJ%23IHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > He's searching on subject / name / address. > > It's skipping items both on his exchange mailbox and his pst file. > > Thanks > > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message > news:uDDCXoI%23IHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >> Is he searching ...

Items being run up are added to PO created on other station
Why are items that are being added to a sale apearing in the Purchase order being created on another computer? I have hotfix #9 (2.0.0115) installed. :;pud ...

Queries created by MS Query not in QueryTables collection
On my spreadsheet I have created a table using an MS Query query, creating the table via File/Return data to Excel. This creates a table in my worksheet and a connection that shows up in my existing connections dialog. I have no problems refreshing the table using the refresh button. However, in VBA this table does not show up in the Querytables collection for that worksheet when I print out the names of the items in the collection in the immediate window. Meanwhile, a connection created using the From Text button on the Data tab does show up. Does anyone have any insight as...

Formatting of data detail on a new sheet from a Pivot Table
Hi everyone I have Excel 2003 and have successfully created a Pivot Table which presents data as I need. However, when I double click one of the entries to give details of the entries which contribute to the data, the new sheet that's created doesn't retain the formatting of the original raw data. One of the columns of data (in the raw data) is formatted as [m]:ss.00 but the data is presented on the new sheet formatted as hh:mm:ss. If I am to share the pivot table and data with others, I'd like to be able to retain the original formatting. Is this possible? I know that...

Create a folder in Word on export
I am in the process of created several forms that will merge data to Word Templates that are legal documents. What I need to do is; 1) look in a defined folder in Word and determine if another folder exist if not create the folder and name it based on a field on the Access Form. 2) Once the folder is created save the merged.doc as a saveas naming it the same name as the template or a name from a field on the form, or if the folder in Word already exist, do a saveas to the that folder, then display the .doc for possible changes. Also if it is not obvious I’m a newbe. I know from wha...

Create Excel Form with Excel data
I have an Excel speadsheet of data that I would like to print out a seperate form of each record (line item). I am familar with Access's ability, though I thought I can accomplish the same from within Excel since Excel was actually created as a database application some years ago. ----------------- Scott You could use a macro to loop through the items in a list, and print each one on a separate form. Or, if there are no complex calculations, you could use Word's Mail Merge feature to print the forms, with the Excel file as the data source. Scotts wrote: > I have an Excel spe...

Create a PDF file from any program that will print
Anyone can create a PDF file from any program that will print. You define any (virtual) Post Script (PS) printer on your system. I have an Apple and an IBM PS printers defined. You print to a file, obviously, since you don't really need to have an attached PS printer. The file type will be .prn on Win machines. Next you go to www.ps2pdf.com and use the Convert wizard which will upload your file and send it back as a PDF file. The site doesn't save uploaded files so it is relatively secure and has been providing this service for quite some time. Lastly, you simply save the PDF fil...

Database to read ASC II File created from excel
I have a datafile in Excel that I would like to make the information available to our clients to search on. I don't need anything fancy but the program does need to be under 5 megs in size. Just a way for them to search on text & numeric items on 4 to 5 fields at a time and print out a simple report. I need it to run on the ms windows o/s or suppose it could be javascript but I don't want to have to get into the programming language. Any suggestions for programs, Thanks, Chris Most of this was stolen directly from John Walkenbach's site: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/...

Extract numeric value from single cell #2
Thanks, thats grea -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26148 ...

Creating a fixture list
I have used a macro to gererate fixtures for a league but it doesn't calculate properly. All teams should play each other once, (ie 10 teams - 90 matches). I have used the following macro. Thanks for your help in advance. Sub leagueMatch() Dim i, j As Long Dim datacolumn As String Dim resultColumn As String Dim firstRow, lastRow, currRow As Long datacolumn = "A" resultColumn = "C" firstRow = 1 currRow = 1 lastRow = Range(datacolumn & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row For i = firstRow To lastRow - 1 For j = i + 1 To lastRow Range(resultColu...