How do I count unique items in a pivottable data field.

I have a pivottable and I am trying to setup a data field that will count
unique values.

ie. Listing customers as the row and setting up a field to count the number
of sales people that sold to the customer.  The base data has multiple rows
identifying the customer, sale id, $ and sales person.  If I have 100 rows
with sales person A, B & C each selling multiple orders to several customers
I want the field counter to tell me if 1,2 or 3 sales people sold to each
customer.

Not the most elegant answer, but I'd probably create my pivot with Customer
in the row field, sales rep in the column field, and sales rep in the data
field.  The data item will turn into Count of Sales Rep.  Let Excel complete
the Pivot.  Then, in each row, to the right of the Pivot Table, use the
counta function.  Suppose the first row of data in the pivot table is row 5
and it ends with row totals in column G.  Then in H5, =counta(b5:f5) will
tell you how many unique reps sold to that customer.  Autofill that formula
down through the remaining rows.

"Jaywestern" wrote:

> I have a pivottable and I am trying to setup a data field that will count
> unique values.
>
> ie. Listing customers as the row and setting up a field to count the number
> of sales people that sold to the customer.  The base data has multiple rows
> identifying the customer, sale id, $ and sales person.  If I have 100 rows
> with sales person A, B & C each selling multiple orders to several customers
> I want the field counter to tell me if 1,2 or 3 sales people sold to each
> customer.

Debra Dalgleish has some tips at:
http://contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Unique

--

Dave Peterson
0

Pasting data from Excel
Hello everyone, I'm not sure if I should be posting this question here or in the Excel forum but here goes. Is it possible to copy data from multiple cells in Excel and then paste them into multiple lines of the criteria section of an Access query? For example, Given cells and values: A1- 1 A2- 2 A3- 3 I would like to be able to copy this data from Excel and paste it into an Access query like : Criteria: 1 or: 2 3 I am using Access 2002 SP3 and Exc...

Printing data forms
I would like to be able to print Excel data forms. Is there a way? In some event of the form (a button, a click of the form itself, whatever): Me.PrintForm "Curious" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:170101c47bf9$f9191420$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I would like to be able to print Excel data forms. Is > there a way? If you mean the form you get when you do Data=>Form with the form displayed, do Alt+Print Screen. then drop the form and go to a new worksheet and do Edit=>Paste This will put an image of the form on the worksheet and yo...

Consolidation Worksheet Data Sequence
I'm consolidating 3 worksheets into one by using Excel 2007 data consolidation. The worksheets have a product number in column A and sales figures in columns B, C & D for Jan, Feb and Mar. The worksheets are in product number sequence. Not all product numbers appear on each sheet, so I consolidate by category using "labels in left column" and "create links to source data" to create a consolidation sheet in outline form. The problem is the consolidated worksheet is not in product number sequence as I need it to be. I have books on Excel 2007 and Excel 2003 and their ...

Free Data Process/Query Tool
If you use Excel everyday and spend lots of time on data/text processing, then you will find the this tool (UDQ Add-in) is very powerful and can speed up your daily data processing work. Currently the tool is free for everyone. Please feel free to distribute this tool to your friends/colleagues if you think it is helpful to your work. The following is a list of features/functionality of the tool: 1> Query/Import Data from Multiple External Data/Text/ASCII Files (Can useful import data from hundreds of files within minutes) 2> Query/Import Data from Multiple Closed Excel Files (Can...

Reporting non-budgeted items, CC billing period
Hi all, I have two questions for you experts: 1. I would like to track what I'm spending on non-budgeted items. Is it possible to get a report on all non-budgeted items? When I do a budget report the non-budgeted items appear as a single item called "Other Expense". I can select that item and see individual transactions but I would like to have a detailed report on them e.g. Spending by Category. Is this possible? 2. Is it possible to distinguish between billing period and payment date for a credit card? I have my credit cards managed by the DRP but there I can only enter a &q...

Print 2 receipts when selling item with rebate?
Is there any way to program rms to print multiple receipts on particullar items, for example I sell an automatic pool cleaner that has two differant mail in rebates and we always supply the customer with duplicate receipts Victor Out of the box, no. The easiest way is to train cashiers to use the Reprint function when they need a second copy. The other option is to configure the receipts to print 2 copies every time, but that's probably a waste of paper. I'm pretty sure this could be accomplished as a customization using the HTML status bar and QSBridge, but you would need a ...

Counting occurences with multiple entries
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with a large volume of data. I want to count how many times the equipment id (column A) comes up with a specific fault (Column B)i.e Fail. There could be numerous entires for the same piece of equipment with different types of faults. I've tried count, countif etc... but cant get the formula to lookup the value and count up the occurences properly. Can anyone help? Thanks. Try =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="equipment id"),--(B1:B100="Fail")) With equipment id in cell C1 =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=C1),--(B1:B100="Fail...

Limits on Exporting Outlook Contact Data
Anyone know how to get custom fields, follow-up flags, and/or the "contacts" (links between contacts) from MS Outlook 2003 to Excel, CSV, Goldmine, or Act? The standard export utility in Outlook does not offer export of these fields. Most important is the links between contacts. You'd have to write your own code to do this. A key issue would be what information from the linked contact(s) you want to include. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode....

Calculated fields in Pivot Tables
Is it possible to use an "if" formula when creating a calculated field? I have an existing field in my pivot table called commissions and I want to create a new field that will give me a 1 if for each row if commissions are over 4 and a 0 if they are under 4. Is this possible? What is the formula? It seems ok Try something like : =IF(Commissions>=4,1,0) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:1132008509.143327.194520@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to u...

Set field focus in a subroutine
In Access 2003 (Windows XP) I am passing the value of a field in a textbox on a form to a subroutine to validate that the date value is within a range. If the date is out of range I would like to set the focus of the field on the form and display an error message. When I pass in the field to the subroutine, I get a compile error "Invalid qualifier" when I try to set focus to the date field. How can I set the focus to the field within the subroutine. Here is the subrotuine code: Public Sub CheckDates(date1 As Date) If Not IsNull(date1) And date1 < [Forms]![frmMR...

End user wants to create items in Global Address List
I have an end user who wants to be able to create distribution lists and entries in the global address list. Any idea how I can configure him to do this? Douglas he would have to have Exchange permissions, and that isn't a particularly good idea... "Douglas McIver" <douglas@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OFGd$QhiEHA.1104@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have an end user who wants to be able to create distribution lists and > entries in the global address list. Any idea how I can configure him to do > this? > > Douglas > > ...

Select Rows dependant on certain field data
How can I select certain rows in a spreadsheet based upon the text foun in one column? To explain: All rows have a column that contains tex "immediate" or "ongoing" or "closed". How can I select only the row that contain the word "immediate" in that column? When I say select a mean select as in ready to 'copy' or 'cut' tha data ready to be pasted elsewhere. I know what I mean :confused -- Madd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Maddy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...

GUID/Outlook format link giving error "Unable to open the seleted folder or item"
Hi, I have created custom forms in multiple public Outlook folders and when I send the GUID type link to the user, they receive an error: "Unable to open the seleted folder or item". The same happens if I send the Outlook type link. However, if I ask the user to go to the folder and find the appropriate posting, then the form opens and after that the link works, too. Is this due to some Exchange server setting? My clients are not the type that tolerate opening the form the long way, they want a one click solution. Please help, this is driving my team crazy. Any ideas are welcome...

sort data without changing pattern
I have a worksheet where every other row has a 'pattern' in it to help make it easier to read across the spreadsheet. The problem I'm running into is as I add new rows at the bottom of the spreadsheet and then resort them into their correct place, the patterns go with the sort and now the patterns have to be redone again the get them back to every other row. Any suggestions? This will happen if your patterns are manually applied. It would be better to remove that manual shading and to apply background colours using conditional formatting, the condition being if th...

Customizing Contact Data
Is there a way to customize contact card/data to collect data from others that I want to use rather than the generic that Microsoft has used? -- Thank you very much. Tall Paul. "TallPaul" <TallPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C1DDD4F-BDCB-42F8-8F99-A2D674482E8E@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to customize contact card/data to collect data from others > that I want to use rather than the generic that Microsoft has used? What type of information do you want to collect? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] TallPaul wrote: > Is...

Updating large pivot source data
Hello, I'm experiencing the following problem with a very simple macro in Excel 2007 to update pivot table data source. That is, my data has more than 74000 rows and I'm trying to update the source data with the following code: Sub Macro1() Dim rng1 As Range Set rng1 = Sheets("Test_sheet").Range("A1:A74000") ActiveSheet.PivotTables("Pivot-taulukko1").ChangePivotCache ActiveWorkbook. _ PivotCaches.Create(SourceType:=xlDatabase, SourceData:=rng1, _ Version:=xlPivotTableVersion12) End Sub The problem is that the code ...

Obtain data from list
I want to get the data from the list on to a cell in worksheet. I have 2 sheets - On Sheet 1 - I have drop downs. Whatever is selected in the list - I want to show that value in a cell on Sheet 2. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Hi, I think if you just change the properties of your dropdown so that the linked cell refers to the cell on your other sheet, it should work fine. Right-click on the dropdown and goto properties...Linkedcell. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I want to get the data from the list on to a cell in >worksheet. > >I have 2 sheets -...

allow user to highlight field on form
I have a database which records info about disabled people. One form is used to input comments about the the person and has several memo fields. The user wants to be able to highlight a field if the information is important and needs to be highlighted to other users of the system. I cannot use conditional formatting because the decision to highlight the field is made by the user depending on different circumstances. Any help would be appreciated On Mon, 3 May 2010 16:52:01 -0700, aussiebob wrote: > I have a database which records info about disabled people. One form is used...

Data Validation Allow List
Is there a way to click on the resulting combo box and have ALL the list items show up instead of just what seems like the default of about 8--I can scroll, but would like to just point and choose? Also, is there a way to change the font of this combo box? The resulting look like they are about 6 or 8 points. Any help is appreciated. Is this the right forum doug? If you are using a combo box (from the control toolbox) as opposed to a validation list you can change visible rows but not if you use validation Debra has a solution here http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html -- R...

Import Items from Quickbooks
Did anybody import items from QB? I would be specifically interested in how inventory is imported. Unfortunately there is no import template/mapping list available where I could choose which fields I want to import. I only would like to keep my descriptions, price, cost, vendor information, etc. in sync but NOT the inventory. After sales quantities cannot be sent back from RMS to QB I would worry that the inventory I have in QB (which is different to the inventory in RMS) will screw up the inventory in RMS during the load. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Gerd ...

Cannot edit customer data in additional tab at HQ
I have created global customer with addtional data in additional tab at shop then send to HQ. At HQ, Why cant I edit customer data in additional tab? Or even I create new global customer at HQ, I cannot add data in addtional tab too, it is gray out. Is there any setting that I need to do? Thank you for any help. -- Jeed I believe, just like when editing items in HQ, you have to be in Maintenance Mode. Ed -- RMS 2.0 / HQ 2.0 Server 2003 / XP "Jeed" wrote: > I have created global customer with addtional data in additional tab at shop > then send to HQ. At HQ, Why ca...

converting data
Have made an x-y scatter chart with temperature on the y axis and time on the x axis.The data was imported and the temperature is in centigrade.How can I convert the data into degrees fahrenheit? The temperature data is in column B and contained in over 400 cells The only way I know how to do this is manually converting each cell but this will take forever.Can anyone show me how to convert the entire column with a formula perhaps? -- sghioto ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sghioto's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&am...

Format Cells Date (or any change) not working on imported data
Hello, I've just spent ages researching this and not come up with what I need to be able to do. I have a worksheet for some simple data that has been imported, a date, text and number column (as they display graphically to the end user). All are a "general" format when using Format > Cells. The issue I have is that the date information is in an American date format and I would like to change them into a UK date format. Format > Cells and selecting any option (including custom and special) makes no changes to the imported data. I have seen the work arounds whereby you sp...

Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed.
Outlook 2003 "Full Name..." field in contact screen reversed. I am using XP, with Outlook 2003. For some reason, all my 800 contacts are having a problem. When I open the contact screen the "Full Name... " field is displaying names backwards. "Mr. John Smith" displays as "Mr. Smith John" I have checked my "Contacts Options" selection for default Full Name order and it correctly displays "First (Middle) Last"... I have noticed that if I delete the name and re-enter it, it displays correctly, however I cannot spend the time to d...

Pulling/Collating Data
Hi, I have a workbook with 31 sheets (diary) A9:F9 (and other rows) is the info I want with the employee's initials in G9 There are multiple entries for the employee so he may reappear in row 13 and 15 I want to pull all the lines that relate to that employee from the 31 sheets into a separate workbook Thanks What is the name of the "separate workbook"? And in what sheet of this "separate workbook" do you want this data placed? Do you want only that data that pertains to that one employee whose initials are in G9? G9 of what sheet? Otto &qu...