How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say)

How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say) appears in
a cell.

For example, ABC.1.21.31.2 should retun 4.

Is there a formula?

0
RH (5)

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,".",""))

--

HTH

RP

"RH" <RH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say) appears
in
> a cell.
>
> For example, ABC.1.21.31.2 should retun 4.
>
> Is there a formula?

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

Phone field should allow for 5 digit extension number.
Many companies, including Microsoft, have 5 digit extensions for their phone numbers. i.e xxx-xxx-xxxx ext. xxxxx Dynamics is limited to 4. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/...

I have a time sheet but...
I have developed a time sheet. It simply tracks time per day and keeps a running total (in decimal hours) of time over consequtive days. HOWEVER, I would like the following elaborations. I would like to have a list of generalized tasks that I could add to as necessary. .... then be able to enter start and end times with a task that I spent that time on. .... then perhaps on a different sheet show total time, total time for each task, and percent of the total spent on each task. Any thoughts as to how I could proceed or might there be a downloadable example I might modify? Hi Hutch! Good...

Where do I find the option to change number format in a Word doc.
I simply want numbers in a particular document to display with 2 decimal places. But I can't find this function anywhere. Used to be able to right click to get this kind of function but no more. Are you perhaps confusing Word with Excel? Word has never had that capability from a right-click option. You can use a formatting switch if the number is in a field. Otherwise, you basically get what you type. (I suppose you might have had an add-in that provided numeric formatting, but I'm not familiar with any such add-in.) -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word Bible B...

Publisher says there's a problem with your file. Publisher won't
file in order to be safe. I worked on this document for 5 hours . Please help! Mari, It would probably be helpful if you could tell us exactly what error message you are receiving and what version of Publisher you are using. Please don't try to put everything in the subject heading. Bruce "Mari" wrote: > file in order to be safe. I worked on this document for 5 hours . Please > help! Did you backup at all? You may get lucky and Publisher saved a copy. In Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the address bar. Look for any file that has pub as a prefix, change the ...

finding differing numbers.
How do I in a column of numbers some in duplication, how can i get a list off the entries which reflects these numbers but not in duplication. ie "numbers" 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 5, 3, 5, 2, 1, 2. "result" 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Thanks Chris Hi one way: - select your column - choose 'Data - Filter Advanced Filter' - choose a new range and 'unique entries' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany curleyc wrote: > How do I in a column of numbers some in duplication, how can i get a > list off the entries which reflects these numbers but not in > duplicat...

3.0 Case and ticket numbering
In ver 3.0 when a new case is created, CRM assignes a case number to the case such as SR-01484-OT9D. The email generated for new cases has a CRM number in the subject line such as CRM:00060060. If emails are sent with the case number, SR-01484-OT9D, in the subject line, they do not get posted to the history of the ticket. Since customers, both internal, and external, use the case number for referance, can some tell me how to make sure emails get posted to the case history properly using only the case number in the subject line? The only way to accomplish this would be to write your...

General OE User Caveats
General OE User Caveats: - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local folders created for this purpose. - Empty Deleted Items folder daily. - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place. - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause corruption (i.e., lo...

WinUSB
Scene: Multiple devices with the same GUID attached to a machine. They report serial numbers and that is a known-working configuration. As I understand it, the proper way to iterate serial numbers is basically: 1. SetupDiGetClassDevs with the GUID then iterate: 1.a. getDevicePath(n++) 1.b. hDev = CreateFile() 1.c. hUsb = WinUsb_Initialize(hDev) 1.d. WinUsb_GetDescriptor(hUsb) This works fine. However, a problem occurs when one of these devices is then opened (or shall I say, left open because the calls above actually "open" the device). The NEXT time the above b...

VBA Time Stamp... I'm close, but need help
New to the group and thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me. I'm somewhat a novice at this VBA stuff. I have a spreadsheet that I currently have set up for users to change the date in the footer when they make modifications. As you might imagine, it doesn't get updated...everyone forgets - but it makes it difficult to keep track of what version of the form you are looking at and when someone last made changes to it. So... I was able to track down some VBA from http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html that is really close to what I'm looking for... Private Sub...

deleting all inbox msgs. at same time
How do I highlite all the messages like when you can hold shift and multi selections occur that doesn't seem to work for me in live mail inbox "optical alchemist" <optical alchemist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA529AF5-0195-4274-A8FD-BF03C968F31E@microsoft.com... > How do I highlite all the messages like when you can hold shift and multi > selections occur that doesn't seem to work for me in live mail inbox Hold Shift, click on the top message, click on the bottom message and all of them should be selected, let go of the Shi...

When replying, OL says Word is busy...
This problem just started happening about two weeks ago, but I can't figure out the cause or solution. I'm using Outlook XP (from the Office XP suite) on Windows XP. If I try to reply to an email (or forward it), OL will pause... then come back with the error message: "This form requires Word as your email editor, but Word is either busy or cannot be found. The or will be opened in the Outlook editor instead." (That's the exact word-for- word message) Once I get that error, it won't even try to use Word as my editor again unless I close it and open it again. ...

Category totals over time...
Good morning... Is there a way within Money 2007 to graph the income or expense in a given category over time? For example, I might want to graph the monthly sums of my Dining Out expense over the past few years. -Ed In microsoft.public.money, Ed Markovich wrote: > >Is there a way within Money 2007 to graph the income or expense in a >given category over time? > >For example, I might want to graph the monthly sums of my Dining Out >expense over the past few years. You could start with the Income and Spending Over Time report. Customize to select just the category you w...

Add phone number to quote report.
Hey guys, My retail staff asked me if it is possible to add the customer phone number to the Quote summary or Quote detailed report. Does anyone know what changes need to be made to the report to make this happen. I know I will have to change the query and add a join statement to get it from the customer record but am unable to figure out how to do it. Any ideas? Thanks, Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks anyway. <nick@realkiteboarding.com> wrote in message news:BhKXd.15130$GO5.11570@fe07.lga... > Hey guys, > > My retail staff asked me if it is possible to a...

How does one change the sample number. Instead of zero my workshe.
My Excel work sheet displays a -1 when it should read zero. When right click and go to format cells and number I see that a -1 is in the sample section. However, I can not change it to zero. John Why do you think it should read zero? What value is in the cell? A computed value that you feel should be zero? If you type in a zero you should see 0 If you type in -1 you will see -1 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:40:02 -0700, "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My Excel work sheet displays a -1 when it should read zero. When right click ...

Excel 2007 message bar security question disappears after time.
We have recently moved over to Excel 2007 and have several worksheets with VBA code running in them. We have set Excel to “Disable all macros with notification” when we run one of our Excel sheets a security warning appears in the message bar giving us the option to “Enable this content.” However sometimes users are not noticing the message straight away and then the message disappears. Is there anyway to get the message to reappear without having to close the worksheet down and reopen afresh? ...

In MS Excel, how do I change the column ref headers from numbers .
I'm using Excel 2000 v9.0 and the column reference headers have changed to Numbers (don't know how this happened) - so when I look at a cell reference, it is now quite confusing as both rows and columns are numbers. How do I change it back so that column references are letters, as it was before? Hi Tools > Options, uncheck R1C1 reference style. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Bruce Lindfield" <Bruce Lindfield@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:A3656A77-3DB1-41AF-A8F8-4C76C68C5C5B@microsoft.com... > I'm using Excel 2000 v9.0 and the column refer...

Convert time number 9:30 to a whole number 9.5
Is there a way to convert a time number: 9:30 (9 hrs 30 minutes) to a whole (w/fraction, or one decimal to the left)? 9.5 Thanks You! Wayne On May 14, 12:00 pm, "WGD" <wgd.roam...@verizon.net> wrote: > Is there a way to convert a time number: 9:30 (9 hrs 30 minutes) > to a whole (w/fraction, or one decimal to the left)? 9.5 > > Thanks You! > Wayne Multiply by 24 and reformat cell to General Ken Johnson Multiply by 24 A1 = 9:30 (h:mm) =A1*24 Format as GENERAL or NUMBER -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "WGD" <wgd.roaming@verizon.net&...

Count the occurence of multiple (4 conditions).
Hi, I am unable to get the correct count using the formula : =SUM(IF(A1:A999=" A",IF(D1:D999="D>d",IF(F1:F999="1",IF(E1:E999="1",1,0))))) I am trying to get no of records with " A" values in Column A, "D>d" values in Column D, "1" values in Column F, "1" values in Column E and Sum all the counts- after applying the nested filters. Can someone help me in debugging the same? Will appreciate early response! Thanks in advance, Try this: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A999="A")*(D1:D999="...

Graphing dates and times.
I have a set of temperature data taken at 10 minute intervals over several days. I want to graph this as a basic line graph, with the x axis showing both date and time. However if I format the cells as Date (with time also showing) the base units for the x axis start in days. I can display times if I format the cells as Time, but then I can't see the date. Formatting as Custom in a format such as d mmm hh:mm has the same problem - the base unit is days. Does anyone know how to make it show both date and time? Any help much appreciated. Thanks Kerry. Thankyou! That is much bette...

custom number- minutes:seconds.hundredths how to hide a leading z
Hi, I'm running up a simple sheet to enter/display times for a sporting event. As such, I have set a custom format of m:ss.00 and can enter a time of 1 (minute) 10 (seconds) 24 (hundredths) to show as 1:10.24 (this parts OK). But if the time is less than a minute, say 55.24 (seconds) I get 0:55.24 which although functional, looks messy. It also requires the person to enter the leading "0:". Is there a way to a)stop the leading "0:" from showing, and b)not require entering the "0:" for times less than a minute? --- pbw For your custom format: [<...

Long time going...
Hello, About two weeks ago I was experiencing a great deal of difficulty with my EX2K box. I was able to send out but nothing was allowed to come in. If someone sent me an email it was just returned to them with a 550 5.7.1 error. Well, after going through everything and finally finding that my public IP was removed from my service after a bandwidth upgrade, service was restored. Okay, so now that's all taken care of but here's my new problem; it takes forever to send something out now. Like hours before it's received. Does anyone have any idea of what I can check out or c...

I've been using Microsoft Money 2007 since it came out. Now it seems it's time to upgrade
What is my best option now? Must be able to deal with multiple stock portfolios. Childs 529 plans, 401Ks and multiple bank and savings accounts. Any and all help greatly appreciated On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:52:20 -0800 (PST), Shhhh <trumpet1120@comcast.net> wrote: >What is my best option now? Must be able to deal with multiple stock >portfolios. Childs 529 plans, 401Ks and multiple bank and savings >accounts. > >Any and all help greatly appreciated > I went through the same phase of adjustment a few weeks back and settled on Intuit Quicken Premier. It to...

how to take a number from the same cell in multiple sheets then a.
in excell how do I take a number from the same cell in multiple sheets and then take an average? Hi dinnon See http://www.rondebruin.nl/linksum.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "dinnon" <dinnon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6672F59-4553-445C-8B57-627CE2F34164@microsoft.com... > in excell how do I take a number from the same cell in multiple sheets and > then take an average? =AVERAGE(Sheet1:Sheet10!A1) If your sheets have unique names rather than the standard Sheet1, Sheet2 etc. best to insert a dummy sheet at be...

Why don't fields update automatically when new numbers are input?.
I am new to Excel 2003 and there seems to be some setting that needs to be turned on as I've set up a basic formulas and if the data changes nothing updates. Is calculation set to automatic? Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the Calculation tab. There, ensure that calculation is set to automatic. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Frustrated in NJ" <Frustrated in NJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C33241C-8D8A-443E-BD99-FFF9FDAB6A13@microsoft.com... >I am new to Excel ...

Max. number of characters to be shown in one celle?
H I hope somebody can tell me, if there is a max. number of characters, there can be shown in one celle When I write a long text, the celle shows only ##### no matter how much I enlarge the celle. I can still see the original text in the formula line, but it can not be shown in the spread sheet, and I can not copy it to word. According to the specifications (Help/Specifications) each cell can hold a maximum of 32,767 characters, of which 1024 can be displayed. If you enter a manual line break within the first 1024 characters, (alt-Enter), you can get more than that. In article <8253B...