How do I copy cells and skip lines?

I want to copy a relative formula from cell A1 to cells A3, A5, A7,.... A3001.

In previous verisons I could highlight A1..A3000 select copy then go to A3
and select paste, and it would work.  It would copy A1 to A3, then A2 to A4,
then A3 to a5, all the way down to a3001. This no longer works. How can I
quickly do this?
0
con_jon (1)

I don't understand exactly what you're describing that you did before, but
if you're looking to copy your relative formula to every other row, try
this:

Enter your formula in A1 and A3.
Select A1 to A4.
Click the fill handle of the 4 row selection and drag down to copy as
needed.
--

HTH,

RD

"con_jon" <con_jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I want to copy a relative formula from cell A1 to cells A3, A5, A7,....
A3001.

In previous verisons I could highlight A1..A3000 select copy then go to A3
and select paste, and it would work.  It would copy A1 to A3, then A2 to A4,
then A3 to a5, all the way down to a3001. This no longer works. How can I
quickly do this?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

How do I get the From line to appear in the message header?
Our home laptop has two e-mail addresses and I want the Sender or 'from' line to show above the 'To' line in the message header. This is so I can pick which sender is sending the e-mail (myself or the other user). I went to View/Message Header but it only has Bcc. Can anyone help? It is Microsoft Outlook 200 SR-1 Hi, To show the "From" field in your email message, follow the appropriate steps below. If you are using the Microsoft Outlook e-mail editor On the View menu, click From Field. If you are using Microsoft Word as your e-mail editor ...

total number of characters in a cell
Is there a function that can count the total number of characters in a cell? Thanks The LEN function will return the total number of characters in a cell. E.g., =LEN(A1) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "plumstone" <plumstone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F6D1E31-CF16-4167-8F1A-B1F5152FD515@microsoft.com... > Is there a function that can count the total number of characters in a cell? > Thanks LEN() Note that this includes space and other non-printing characters. In article ...

Remove GUID in email Subject Line in v1.2
How do I remove the GUID in the subject line of emails in v1.2? I see this KB at MS http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829459 but it references CRM 1.0 only and the date of my Crmemaildispatch.dll file is later than the one in their hotfix. Can anyone give me some pointers? Follow those guidelines for setting the registry setting indicated. The hook to look for this is in the 1.2 dll already. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Stewart Arnold" <stewartarnold@DELETEIT.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4knmf.6410$L7.831@fe12.lga... How do I remov...

how do I create custom line patterns in Visio?
I have just begun using Visio as diagrammatic tool, but I cannot seem to get customised line patterns to work for dynamic connector. ...

Cells get automatically converted
I want to store installment details of employees in the format: 9/15, 10/15 etc.. These are text values and are transferred via .NET application to Excel. But it considers it a date and so converts 9/15 to 15-Sep, 10/15 to 15-Oct. I even searched for options to disable this, but could not find it. Please help switching this off. In message 1190896904.756552.247560@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com, RP <rpk.general@gmail.com> Proclaimed from the tallest tower: > I want to store installment details of employees in the format: 9/15, > 10/15 etc.. These are text values and are transferre...

Grouping like coloured cells
I have a conditional format set up to change cells different colours when certain conditions are met. I want to be able now to set up a separate table with all the same coloured cells in. I'm sure this is possible, however, I also want to be able to copy the row title into a section of the new table. Is there a way to do this? I have just changed the format of the chart. All I need to do now is form three seperate charts of positives, negatives and neutrals, however, they still need to be linked to the original row title. ...

Insert Worksheet Name into a cell
Hi, I've been trying in vain to solve this problem. I work with multiple worksheets and part of my title has th worksheet's name. Right now, for each title, i edit the title manually. Is there any function like the = cell("filename") that extracts th filename that can work on extracting the sheet name instead.? Thanks in advance. Priti -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Priti Provided the workbook has been saved, you could use =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,99) -- Regards Roger Govier "Pr...

Format all cells containing formulas
I'd like all cells which contain calculated values to show up in different color (or some other formatting change). I know I can toggl formula fields to be visible and manually update each one individually but I'd ideally like something that automatically formats new formul cells (and even applies to new .XLSs and worksheets). Seems like a obvious thing to want to do, but haven't found this anywhere in th UI. A usable fallback option would be a macro to search the worksheet an apply (eg) Red Bold to every cell containing a formula. Any pointers? Thanks, - -- Message posted fr...

use command button to total datas in cells through VBA codes in ex
how can i establish a new command button in combo box to total datas in cells by wrinting VBA codes ?? thanks you ! Roy ...

how do I copy a range to a new sheet
Now that I this group solved my problem of flagging dates of my club members as "expired", how would I automatically copy all of the members that are expired to a new worksheet so I can use this for a mail merge? I would need to check the condition of the expired column, YES or NO, then copy the yes's name and address columns only to a new page. TIA Why not just add that column and when you use mailmerge, just include the records with that flag set the way you need? If you really want to copy the rows, you could apply Data|Filter|Autofilter and filter to show just those mem...

Drop Down Boxes for Validation Cells are Too Wide
For some reason, in some columns of my spreadsheet the validation drop down boxes are too wide for the cell. In column A, for example, they will be the width of the cell plus the dropdown arrow - perfect. In column C they will exceed the width of the cell plus the drop down arrow. How do I fix this? Extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with the data validation). To get rid of them, you may have to delete the row or column and recreate the data validation. Geoff wrote: > For some reason, in some...

Copy from another excel file
I copy cell range A1:H1 from excel file X to cells range A1:H1 in excel file Y. But then, when I simply try to copy cells range A1:H1 in file Y to A2:A199,H2:H100 to create the same connection of cells in Y with cell in X it does not copy appropriately. in other words, it still copy range A1:H1 ..and shows copied cells as $A$1:$H$1.... when i tried to eliminate $ sign, it showed in the cell the formula-link itself instead of actual number how to make parallel copying from another excel file work ? Hi not really sure what your issue is? normally it sould be sufficient to enter = in a s...

Line graphs with many lines
I am trying to figure out how to make a graph where I can have toe population as the y axis and the date as the x axis. The lines I want series a to be "2004" and b to be "2005". Anyone got any ideas? In A1 enter the text Date and in cells below enter the date values; in C1 enter the text Series A values and the values below; likewise in column C enter the Series B values. Lets say there are 10 values; select A1:C11 and click the chart wizard. Specify an XY type chart. Done best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "...

Combined charts
"How do I change the format of a data series in a chart from a line to a column?" On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 06:26:10 -0800, Kurt Bonner = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > "How do I change the format of a data series in a chart from a line to= a = > column?" Select the data series by clicking on it. On the menu, click Chart | = Chart type | select a column chart. If you do this as instructed (i.e. = with the data series selected), only the selected data series will = change. The other data series will remain as before. -- = Dave dvt at psu do...

Where can Autotext be copied?
In Word 2003, I could get Tools | Templates and Addins | Organizer, and see the Autotext entries as well as the Styles and Macros, which could then be copied to another template. In Word 2007, only Macro Project Items and Styles are visible and available to copy. Where is the equivalent for Autotext? I want to create a template based on an earlier one but copy over all the Autotext entries for the earlier one. Hope I have explained that OK! See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Word2007_Building_Blocks_&_AutoText.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "abri...

protecting cells (Excel 2000)
How do I prevent certain cells from being altered, allowing users to enter data only in certain areas. I can only see how to protect an entire sheet or workbook. Cheers David Kinston melbourne.au Hi first select the cells for which you want allow entries. Goto Format - Cells - Protection and uncheck 'Locked'. Now protect the sheet -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "David Kinston" <a@b.c> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Otkx#SewEHA.2568@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How do I prevent certain cells from being altered, allowing > users to enter data only in cert...

copying formula with worksheet name-need new formula to have another worksheet name
I want to be able copy a formula from b5 to b6 but have the worksheet name change, i.e.: I have 13 sheets in my workbook; the first sheet is called Summary which is where my formula presides. 2nd sheet,3rd sheet, etc. are called Sal Hrs_Jan10, Sal Hrs_Feb10, etc. My formula in b5 is =+'Sal Hrs_Jan10'!$C$15. I want b6 to say =+'Sal Hrs_Feb10'!$C$15 I want b7 to say =+'Sal Hrs_Mar10'!$C$15 Column a, cell a5 has Jan-10 (this is a date 1/1/2010 formatted as custom, mmm-yy). Can anyone help me??? Put this in B5: =3DINDIRECT("'Sal Hrs_"...

Copy Worksheet Error Message
Have a problem... I have a personal excel spreadsheet that I maintain some personal finances in. Every month for several years I have copied the previous months activity (worksheet) to the end of my file to track the present months activity using the _M_ove or Copy Sheet... function under the _E_dit drop down using Microsoft Excel 97. All of a sudden I am getting an error that says this: A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'HTML_Control', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want this version of the name? - To use the name as defined ...

NA in Line chart plotting as zero
I'm using Excel 2007 and the line charts with NA are plotting as zero. I suspect there's a setting I need to change, but I just can't find it. Can someone assist? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Hi Barb, In xl2007 you can select the chart then use right-click Select Data. There's a hidden/empty cells button. Or via the ribbon, Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Barb Reinhardt" <BarbReinhardt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9F7F651-153C-4DC1-B415-D37969...

cell color #4
is it possible to auto change cell color depending whether there is a yes or no in the cell...i want to make the cell turn red when i enter yes cheers Keith read about Conditional Formatting http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm =LEFT(A1)="y" or if spelled out =A1="yes" --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "kd" <keith.g0vcl@btinternet.com> wrote in messa...

moving cells to new sheets
I am trying to tidy up a fairly large and complex workbook that is all (quite confusingly) kept on one sheet. Is there any way to move cells to other worksheets and have them hold on to their original reference from the original sheet? e.g. easily copy cell from Sheet 1 with say, (=R1/2) to Sheet2 so it now has the formula (='Sheet1'!R1/2) Thanks David Try: Cut (from Sheet 1) > Paste (in Sheet 2) D Abramovich <youdontneed@myemail.add> wrote in message news:0a4b01c38f05$65235a50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > > I am trying to tidy up a fairly large and complex workbook ...

Adding Formula to Cell with Data
Column A has hard coded data. I need to add to the hard coded data figure another cell. I do not want to insert a new column or change the format of my worksheet. How can this be done without manually adjusting each cell? =datanumber+CellAddress as in =123+B2 GatorGirl wrote: > Column A has hard coded data. I need to add to the hard coded data figure > another cell. I do not want to insert a new column or change the format of > my worksheet. How can this be done without manually adjusting each cell? > > What type of data in the cells? If numbers and you want ...

Cell Character Display Limit
I have numerous cells with over 3500 characters in them. In one case, only about 2000 characters are displayed. Is there some way to get all the characters to display. Must I format the cells a specific way? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Place ALT+Enter periodically in the text, say every hundred characters or so. Barb Reinhardt wrote: > I have numerous cells with over 3500 characters in them. In one case, only > about 2000 characters are displayed. Is there some way to get all the > characters to display. Must I format the cells a specific way? > > Thanks, > Bar...

Anchoring cells
I have a spreadsheet I am working on where I have 4 columns of demographic information followed by 12 columns for their status during specific months. I would like to anchor the 4 columns and then be able to go the month in question. I want to be able to see the demo information next to the cell for that person and that month. HOw? Xcel 2004 for Mac if you need the information. Thanks for any help. -- I want to find a voracious, small-minded predator and name it after the IRS. Robert Bakker, paleontologist Hi Kurt Place your cursor in cell E2>Windows>Freeze Panes This w...

Extract data from a cell after a constant value
Howdy All, I have a spreadsheet that contains 1 column of data, if the cells of the column are the city names and populations of towns in the following format: Appleton, Wisconsin (WI) (pop. 70,087) The 'pop.' is always present. I want to extract just the population number (ie: 70,087) from these cells into another cell. What is the simplest way to accomplish this? Thank you, Brian On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:29:37 -0500, "Wolfman" <wolfmanx@charter.net> wrote: >Howdy All, > >I have a spreadsheet that contains 1 column of data, if the cells of the >...