How do I convert degrees F to degrees C in more than one cell at .

I need to change some of the cells in an XL spreadsheet from degrees F to
degrees C.  I can easily change one cell at a time, but it would be more
efficient to change multiple cells.

Have you looked at the CONVERT function?
or use a for/each loop

for each c in selection
c.value=c/
next

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Fisherlady" <Fisherlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to change some of the cells in an XL spreadsheet from degrees F to
> degrees C.  I can easily change one cell at a time, but it would be more
> efficient to change multiple cells.

0
Don
8/17/2004 8:47:30 PM
This may be more trouble then it's worth, but if you have numerous cells, it
may be worthwhile.

If the cells you want to convert are contiguous, then forget about naming a
range.

If they're spread out, all over the sheet, create a named range.
Select all the cells involved, by holding <Ctrl> and clicking in each cell.
Then, while the cells are still selected, click in the name box and type in
a short name, such as
temp
Then <Enter>.

Now in an unused cell enter
32
and in another cell, enter
1.8
And format this last cell to the way that you wish the final appearence of
your temperatures to display.
i.e. number - 1 decimal place

Now, right click in the
32
cell and choose "Copy".

Select your temp cells.
Right click in the selection and choose "PasteSpecial".
Click "Subtract", then <OK>.

Right click in the
1.8
cell and choose "Copy".

Select the temp cells again.
Right click in the selection and choose "PasteSpecial".
Click "Divide", then <OK>.

You should now have all your temperature cells coverted, and in the desired
format.
--

HTH,

RD

"Fisherlady" <Fisherlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I need to change some of the cells in an XL spreadsheet from degrees F to
degrees C.  I can easily change one cell at a time, but it would be more
efficient to change multiple cells.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
8/17/2004 9:43:58 PM
=CONVERT(50,"F","C")

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Fisherlady" <Fisherlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to change some of the cells in an XL spreadsheet from degrees F to
> degrees C.  I can easily change one cell at a time, but it would be more
> efficient to change multiple cells.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
8/17/2004 10:28:52 PM
Might mention that if you get a #Name? error, you'll need the ATP installed.
--
Regards,

RD

"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
=CONVERT(50,"F","C")

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Fisherlady" <Fisherlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to change some of the cells in an XL spreadsheet from degrees F to
> degrees C.  I can easily change one cell at a time, but it would be more
> efficient to change multiple cells.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
8/17/2004 10:55:00 PM
I don't think I'll bother ... now<vbg>

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> Might mention that if you get a #Name? error, you'll need the ATP
installed.
> --
> Regards,
>
> RD
>
> "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> =CONVERT(50,"F","C")
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>     ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks
>
> "Fisherlady" <Fisherlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I need to change some of the cells in an XL spreadsheet from degrees F
> > degrees C.  I can easily change one cell at a time, but it would be more
> > efficient to change multiple cells.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

OWA jumping mouse

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Converting Opportunity to Account

Single click selects multiple cells

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Visual C++ 2005 always rebuilds
I have an MFC DLL project that I recently moved over to Visual Studio 2005. However now the project always rebuilds entirely whenever I start debugging. Even if I have only made a simple change to one file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Colin Check the date on your source files to make sure that they are not in the future. AliR. "Colin J Paterson" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message news:ObtLxgTbGHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > I have an MFC DLL project that I recently moved over to Visual Studio 2005. > However now the project always rebuild...

convert to stored proc
Hello. I have been given a conversion assignment to convert Access db (frontend) with sql server 2005 backend to be included in a new webapp that is being constructed. Unfortunately, my stored proc creating is a bit weak and I'm not afraid to admit it. With that said, I came across an Access query that is puzzling me. Here it is; SELECT Purchase Orders *, POSO Relationships.SONumber AS RelatedSONumber, IIf([POSOType], [POSOType], 'Standard') AS POSOTypeFull, POSORelationships.MTXRMA, POSORelationships.SupplierRMA, POSORelationships.POSOType FROM PurchaseOrders ...

changing a cell of 60 files
Hi all I've 60 files and another one which summarizes all of them.. I've to put a day in the cell a1 and then I'd like to cut and paste that day in the cell a1 of the other 60 files without having to change all of them manually. I'd like to save and then exit every single file.The files are named 0001 0002 0003..and so on. I know that this is possible with a macro..but I've got a problem.. It's possible not to have the prompt which asks for updates of the file everytime I open one of them?? Thanks for the help Rossella Hi Rossella http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy4.htm ...

how do i identically size cells to organize contents alphabeticall
how do i size the cells in excell to organize alphabetically The size of the cell has nothing to do with sorting them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "entertainer" <entertainer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62754406-410E-4328-8A6A-679D001D7F70@microsoft.com... > how do i size the cells in excell to organize alphabetically As JoAnne points out, cell size has nothing to do with sorting. What is the current sate of your data and what would you like to see happen to i...

Data Validation circle cell position
Hi everyone. I want to create an alert that flashes a msgbox when a sheet is activated and contains data that is flagged as invalid by using the validation circles. In a large sheet, it is tricky to find all the cells that may contain invalid data which is why I want to be able to create a msgbox that lists the addresses or something like that. By looping through the shapes in the sheet, I can determine that these errors exist but I can't find out where they are as the data validation oval does not appear to have a .topleftcell location. I can find out where it is in ...

check List Cell
check List Cell I woul like a cell with the symbol of check for create a checking list in excel. how can i do and format a cell ? I would like to get a template with this options and add my list. I only need to select o deselect the items. Thanksxxx -- Esgrimidor hi if i understand correctly, format the cell to font marlett the type the lower case a. a check mark will appear. Regards FSt1 "Esgrimidor" wrote: > > check List Cell > > I woul like a cell with the symbol of check for create a checking list > in excel. > > how can i do and format a...

Password masking in a cell
Hi there, Is there anyway to mask a password as it is typed into the cell. Example is I type 5555 into cell A1 but to the viewing eye they only see ****. Is this possible. If so can I set up about 4 password that are validated after entry into cell A1. To allow or Dismiss. Thanks Craig You could use formatting to hide the display in the cell, but the value would show up in the formula bar when the cell was selected. If you really want to keep that password private, you could create a userform, add a textbox and set the .passwordchar to "*". Debra Dalgleish has a small tutor...