How do I change the default cell formatting to be text?

I would like Excell to treat all of the cells as text even if they contain
numbers, all the time. Is there some way to do this? I am interested in
things like ($67,568) being changed to -$67,568 and things of this nature, I
am using test to columns and it is always trying to change the format, so I
would liek to be able to nit have to click through each column and change its
format back to text. in reality my bigger probelm is I would like to create a
document in which none of the content can be modified only the formatting.
thanks
Ian
0
mojitsu (1)

I'm not sure if this helps, but you could use the TEXT formula to convert all
the cells to text, and then paste the results over the original cells.  To
convert a number in cell A1 to text, the formula would be =TEXT(A1,"#")    If
your values reside in range A1:D1000 for example, you could paste the above
formula into a neighboring range of the same size, and then "paste special
values" the results over the original range.
Hope that helps.

"mojitsu" wrote:

> I would like Excell to treat all of the cells as text even if they contain
> numbers, all the time. Is there some way to do this? I am interested in
> things like ($67,568) being changed to -$67,568 and things of this nature, I
> am using test to columns and it is always trying to change the format, so I
> would liek to be able to nit have to click through each column and change its
> format back to text. in reality my bigger probelm is I would like to create a
> document in which none of the content can be modified only the formatting.
> thanks
> Ian
0
EddieO (39)
8/18/2005 1:59:05 PM
"=?Utf-8?B?bW9qaXRzdQ==?=" <mojitsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I would like Excell to treat all of the cells as text even if they
> contain numbers, all the time.

Set it as the default format for all cells in a new workbook/sheet, save it
as template Book.xlt to your XLStart directory (where also your
personal.xls is located).

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

Date Formatting when Concantenating

Default picklist values not appearing on convert from lead to acco
Hi, Converting a lead to an account. I have several picklist fields (on the account) which should bring up a default value. When I create a new account from scratch they all appear. When I convert a lead to an account none of the default values are there. There are no offending mappings or scripts that would explain this. Has anyone else seen this or can offer any guidance. Ta Pete. Default values are not set on enties which are converted or created trough the webservice. The only way to have a default value set for any path is to use the PreCreate Callout. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MC...

formatting problem #5
How can I get Excel to change to colour of an entire row when I enter data in a specific cell? ie If I have data in the cell range A1...G1 and then I enter data in H1 I want Excel to change the colour of the entire row to indicate that the task is complete for that row, but still leave the data readable Thanks in advance -- srv5uk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ srv5uk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25006 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=385314 Hi It sounds lik...

how to format a column to corespond with another
I want to make column "E" read "N/A" when column "B" reads "0". How do i do it? Put this in E1: =3DIF(B1=3D0,"N/A","") and copy down. Hope this helps. Pete On Dec 3, 9:09=A0pm, JeremyC. <Jere...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to make column "E" read "N/A" when column "B" reads "0". How do i = do it? =REPT("N/A",B1=0) "JeremyC." wrote: > I want to make column "E" read "N/A" when column "B" rea...

Track Changes items look different on two computers

Number and Word in the same cell
I want to be able to have a number and a word in the same cell, but still be able to use formulas to add, subtract, ect. to the number. For example: I have 6 meters in cell A1 and want to add 11.9 meters If A1 = 6 meters A2 = 11.9 meters =VALUE(LEFT(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1,1)-1))+VALUE(LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2,1)-1)) "Bob Martin" wrote: > I want to be able to have a number and a word in the same cell, but still be > able to use formulas to add, subtract, ect. to the number. > For example: I have 6 meters in cell A1 and want to add 11.9 meters An alternativ...

Centering text on a page
Is there a way to center text automatically in a row across the top of the page without having to pick a column that is close to center, then using the space bar to find the exact midpoint? Thnxs Hi Justin! Select the cells across your page Format > Cells > Alignment Place check in "Merge cells" Horizontal and Vertical drop downs should be set at Center OK There is a standard toolbar button for this. Use: View > Toolbars > Customize Look under Format for the Merge and Center button Click and drag it to your toolbar. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, A...

picture manager uses incorrect printer as default
Picture does not use the default printer but defaults to the fax. ...

Format Date in Report
I have a report (Certificate) which I would like the date to convert from say 2.2.10 to 2nd February 2010. The Field on the Report is [Date of Request] Could someone kindly reply with the correct syntax to include the formatting in this text Box? Also, if say the date is 3.2.10. can this be converted to 3rd February 2010, ie can you tell Access to record 2nd, 3rd etc? Many thanks for any help Access doesn't have the ability to put the ordinal suffixes onto numbers. You'll have to write your own function to do that, something like: Function FormatOrdinalDate(InputV...

Report Writer Text Spacing Problems While Modifying a PO form
Due to Report Writer static text field size limitations, I am forced to try to use two adjacent text fields to complete a sentence. I am having an inordinate amout of problems trying to get words to align in sentences with the correct amount of character spacing between words that span the text field boundaries. And, the process of toggling between Report Writer and Dyamics to get the Purchase Order form to reprint is time consuming. What am I missing (besides patience)? -- Jay Jay, 1) Setup a calculated field for your static text. Set the result type to String, and use the Constant...

indirect accessing to cells
Hello, I use data of few thousands records (cells) which are all arranged in sequential order at single column. I need to extract specific cells' content, and I have no idea what function I can use for. For example, assuming I use a table (single column) of 100 records and I need to extract every 5th cell content to rebuild a new column. Any suggestions ? Tnx Dudi Enter in cell 1 of a column assuming data is in column A =OFFSET($A$1,5*ROW()-5,0) Copy down as far as you wish. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:38:19 +0200, "Dudi" <ardudi@hotmail....

Changing Text Box Size and Location on a form, at run time with Access Xp
Hello All, Is it possible to change the size of the text box (or any other control) on a form at run time, by Drag and drop or resizing borders using the mouse events. (Just like the design mode but the user will use it at run time on form view). Thanks in advance... You should be able to resize in your code if necessary. Me.control.Visible = True Me.control.Height = 1000 Me.control.Width = 1000 Don't forget to set them back when you are done. "Developer" wrote: > Hello All, > Is it possible to change the size of the text box (or any other control) on > a ...

Uncheck "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" by default
http://www.vistax64.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1136177 Andrew;1136177 Wrote: > If I right click on a file there is usually the option to"Open with..". > Selecting this option list possible programs with which to open the > application and, below this, there is a check box labelled "always use > the > selected program to open this kind of file". The check box is always > checked, so clicking on OK permanently associates the selected program > with > the file type in question. > > However, I usually use this option to op...

Saving messages other than in formats given? i.e., rtf or pdf (html with complete pictures)
I get a lot of mail from yahoo groups, in particular some graphics groups. In it, I get very good tutorials or tips which involve graphics that explain or illustrate the text. O2K allows me to save as text or html, but the pictures get left out of both formats, of course. The text can be converted to rtf and I can pull the graphics via the Outlook script to save embedded graphics and I can manually create the rtf file; or I can open up the html file, and reference the pulled embedded graphics, but both methods have proven very time-consuming considering the number of messages I recv that I ...

Borders Don't Line up with Cells.
Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I have used borders of different types to highlight cells. However, recently the horizontal borders aren't working correctly. The lines don't match the text. The spacing of the line is bigger than the spacing of the text, and so the lines run through the text. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it? I have tried two different printers and have the same problem, so I don't think it is a printer driver problem. Thanks. Michael ...

Invoice defaults
How do I set a certain "Payment Term" to be the default for all future invoices? And... How do I set a default Customer Note for all future invoices? Please don't tell me I have to open up each and every Invoice Details and select the Payment Terms and then fill in the Customer Note. Also, how do I set my preferred Invoice template? I created the perfect template for my business last month, but when I went to print invoices this month, the program defaulted to some generic one. I had to go in and re-select my template and print all 25 invoices all over again. ...

default font 03-14-08
All of a sudden, all my access and excel tables, reports...etc have changed their font to arial. This has ruin the spacing of my access reports' columns. I recently re-enabeled my vba. Could that have anything to do with it? If so, can I fix it? On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:41:02 -0700, sierralightfoot <sierralightfoot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: What do you mean with "re-enabling VBA"? Access recognizes a Default font. It's somewhere in the Options screen. -Tom. >All of a sudden, all my access and excel tables, reports...etc have changed >their font to...

Insertion point in selected text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I had to reinstall Office 2008 and since then, Word is behaving differently when I try to click inside a portion of text that is selected. Instead of dismissing the selection and giving me an insertion point, the selection background briefly blinks and stays there, and a smart tag appears. I have to click outside the selected text and then put the insertion point where I want it.� <br><br>What is even more intriguing is if I happen to be tracking the changes, I can see that Word does something when I...

Conditional Formatting Question.
I've set up a work evaluation workbook with multiple worksheets. For explanation sake I'll stick with my first worksheet titled "Jan". I have set it up where I have a name column, month column, shift column an various other columns for evaluatin purposes. below the names and under each column I've set up my evaluation formulas. What it does is calculate each column individually and determine the average. (example: absenteeism-it will figure out the average hrs of sick time used by employees that given month) It will also calculate 10% above & below average as well...

Plain Text email unreadable
I previously used WinXP & O2K3. Recently I reloaded my machine with Vista & O2K3. New installation, not upgrade. Ever since the switch, emails from one specific sender are being received and are unreadable. The emails are in plain text and the header is readable but the body of the emails are garbage. I have viewed the emails via webmail and they look fine. when I open outlook and download the messages into my local PST they are unreadable. I am using the same version of O2K3 and can't figure this out. I am able to receive plain text emails from other senders ...

Change Headers That Exchange Uses To Deliver Mail?
When someone sends a BCC mail to recipients in my domain, the TO: header field is blank and as a result, the message is getting dumped into my badmail and a copy is going to the postmaster in my domain. It turns out that our ISP has some kind of SPAM filter that parses the BCC content prior to delivery to me and places the intended recipients in a new header called: X-NETSCAN-TO: Is there a way to tell my exchange server to use the contents of that new header to determine the recipients in addition to the normal TO: header which works the rest of the time? So, have it check TO: and X...

mouse point changes to paper with bent edge when selecting workshe
Having problems with Excel 2003. It will work fine for awhile then start acting strange. This started a couple of weeks ago. If you click on a worksheet tab, the mouse pointer changes. It has a piece of paper with one edge folded down. Once this happens, we can not get it to change back. If you scroll out of the excel sheet, this paper turns into a black circle with a line through it. The only way to get out of excel is to go into task manager and end task. This brings up a message that you cannot exit excel. Eventually you do get prompted to end excel as it is not res...

counting cells with a formula
hi, I want to count cells with a specific value. I don't know how i can put this in a formula, can anybody help me with this problem. regards, ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ solo_razor wrote: > hi, > > I want to count cells with a specific value. I don't know how i can > put this in a formula, can anybody help me with this problem. > > regards, > > > > ------------------------------------------------ > ~~ Mes...

Changing the border of one cell s/n change the border of adjacent
Changing the border of one cell s/n change the border of adjacent cell ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a7b8ab80-b31f-40cf-8e15-61852a054bd8&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc This is not p...

How to change decimal separators when importing text (csv) files?
I have a problem importing text files into Excel 2007. I'm currently working on a German version of Excel 2007 running on a German version of Windows XP Pro. Whenever I try to import data from a text file (csv), every number with a decimal separator is recognized as text. This clearly is because of the decimal separators. The csv files use points to separate decimals, whereas this German Windows is used to separate decimals using commas. Although the text import wizard allows me to select what type of decimal and thousands separators are to be used, the separators are always reset to th...