How do I Auto-Filter with multiple values in a cell in Excel?

Is it possible to use the Auto-Filter in Excel 2003 in the following way:

  Cell Value:  Requirements, Testing
  Cell Value:  Requirements
  Cell Value:  Testing

Is there a way I can enter my cell value such that the Auto-Filter values
will only show "Requirements" and "Testing" in the dropdown, but not
"Requirements, Testing"?  I've tried using ; , | and even hard returns as
separators, but to no avail.

Am I asking too much of the auto-filter?

Thanks in advance

Unless you create another column to indicate the match, I think you are
asking too much of the autofilter.  Check the advanced filter instead.
You'll have to set up 'criteria', a group of cells separate from your data,
and you would have a row in the criteria for each criterion.  So you'd have a
three-row criteria:  the header, then 'Requirements', then 'Testing.'

"Burghthing" wrote:

> Is it possible to use the Auto-Filter in Excel 2003 in the following way:
>
>   Cell Value:  Requirements, Testing
>   Cell Value:  Requirements
>   Cell Value:  Testing
>
> Is there a way I can enter my cell value such that the Auto-Filter values
> will only show "Requirements" and "Testing" in the dropdown, but not
> "Requirements, Testing"?  I've tried using ; , | and even hard returns as
> separators, but to no avail.
>
> Am I asking too much of the auto-filter?
>
> Thanks in advance

I was afraid that was going to be the response.  Thanks bpeltzer!

blank cell instead of x
I need a formula to have a blank cell instead of a "x" eg: result should be: aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao 2 6 3 6 2 5 17 20 15 205 18 6 3 6 2x 5 3 1 5 7 19 12 133 1 5 7x the formula i used is: =IF(AF2>=42,AA2&""&"x",IF(AF2="","",AA2)) on row 3 there are blank cells (null string contains formulas ) when I apply the formu...

excel database 25,000 plus names #2
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 ...

Vlookup return most recent date (value)
Hello, I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal ID# (001). Column B contains a timestamp. My table has multiple entries for each ID# and different timestamps for each entry. I want to use a vlookup to find the MOST RECENT timestamp for EACH ID. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan With your data in ColA/B and the query ID in cell C1 try the below =SUMPRODUCT(MAX(($A$2:$A$100=C1)*$B$2:$B$100)) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "ryanholliday" wrote: > Hello, > > I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal I...

Auto transfer of row
I have a list of components to be ordered in each row is a cell with order number entered in it. What I want is to copy the row to anothe sheet (which is to be displayed at goods) when the order number i entered in that cell. Is this possible? many thanks for any help -- alanle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3094 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57297 this could be acheived by using VLOOKUP function. if you want a perfect soluti...

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

learning Excel #3

default values in a cell

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

'top' is not a valid value for the 'vertical-align' property.
Well, it is, actually, and the resulting .chm file works properly in HTML Help. But it's a bit tedious getting that wrong useless error message from VS2002 on every build. (Well, not every build, it only does it sometimes actually.) Any idea how I can persuade it to stop telling me this? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

Excel VBA