How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?
0
Givens (4)

That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses
cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not
required.
Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish

best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
9/24/2004 4:53:04 PM
Put a 1 into any cell - let's say A1 -, and where you want to use X in a
formula, use the cell Address A1.

=X*100

becomes

=A1*100

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
Bernie
9/24/2004 4:53:45 PM
Thank you, but I want to put X in a cell and have X show in the cell, but
assign the numerical value of 1 to it.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> Put a 1 into any cell - let's say A1 -, and where you want to use X in a
> formula, use the cell Address A1.
>
> =X*100
>
> becomes
>
> =A1*100
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
Givens (4)
9/24/2004 5:11:16 PM
I want to put X in a cell and have it show as X, but assign the value of 1 to
it, so that I can use a sum formula to count all of the x's as 1's.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses
> cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not
> required.
> Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish
>
> best wishes
>
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove CAPS in e-mail address
>

> "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
Givens (4)
9/24/2004 5:13:04 PM
No need to do that.  If you just want to count the X's, use

=COUNTIF(A1:A100, "X")

It's almost always better to explain what you want to do in a global sense
rather than explain in a very narrow sense.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

> Thank you, but I want to put X in a cell and have X show in the cell, but
> assign the numerical value of 1 to it.
>
> "Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
>
> > Put a 1 into any cell - let's say A1 -, and where you want to use X in a
> > formula, use the cell Address A1.
> >
> > =X*100
> >
> > becomes
> >
> > =A1*100
> >
> > HTH,
> > Bernie
> > MS Excel MVP
> >
> > "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
Bernie
9/24/2004 5:24:53 PM
Thank you that works. What classes can I take to learn more about formula's
and Functions?

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> No need to do that.  If you just want to count the X's, use
>
> =COUNTIF(A1:A100, "X")
>
> It's almost always better to explain what you want to do in a global sense
> rather than explain in a very narrow sense.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you, but I want to put X in a cell and have X show in the cell, but
> > assign the numerical value of 1 to it.
> >
> > "Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
> >
> > > Put a 1 into any cell - let's say A1 -, and where you want to use X in a
> > > formula, use the cell Address A1.
> > >
> > > =X*100
> > >
> > > becomes
> > >
> > > =A1*100
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Bernie
> > > MS Excel MVP
> > >
> > > "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Givens (4)
9/24/2004 7:57:03 PM
A book would be better: I like John Walkenbach's books, so you could try

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook24.htm

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

> Thank you that works. What classes can I take to learn more about
formula's
> and Functions?

0
Bernie

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

'top' is not a valid value for the 'vertical-align' property.
Well, it is, actually, and the resulting .chm file works properly in HTML Help. But it's a bit tedious getting that wrong useless error message from VS2002 on every build. (Well, not every build, it only does it sometimes actually.) Any idea how I can persuade it to stop telling me this? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

Over Time Pay rate 1.51?

default values in a cell

learning Excel #3