I'm using Excel 2000.  I have a set of merged cells A5-
E5.  I have several lines
of text in the cells and I want them to wrap across the
merged cells and it is not working.  All I get is the
first line of text showing and the rest is cut off.  It
works if the cells are not merged, but I really need to do
it in my merged cells.  Is there a way to this other than
manually resizing the height of the row?
0
ivy1 (1)

Instead of merging cells, have you tried the "Center Across Selection"
option ?
The appearence is just about identical to what you would get using merged
cells, although I don't know your requirements for wanting to use merge.

Another approach where you wouldn't need to manually resize the rows, if you
knew the approximate size of the text beforehand, is to merge your cells
*both* horizontally *and* vertically and use the <Alt> <Enter> for a forced
line break (word wrap).

HTH

RD

"Ivy" <ivy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Excel 2000.  I have a set of merged cells A5-
> E5.  I have several lines
> of text in the cells and I want them to wrap across the
> merged cells and it is not working.  All I get is the
> first line of text showing and the rest is cut off.  It
> works if the cells are not merged, but I really need to do
> it in my merged cells.  Is there a way to this other than
> manually resizing the height of the row?

0
Ragdyer (92)
9/5/2003 11:22:57 PM
Ivy

Wrap text works on merged cells.  Autoheight does not.  Perhaps this is what
you are experiencing.  You can resize manually or via Macro.  Jim Rech has
written code for this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05

Note also a recent adaptation of this code by Greg Wilson.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P37D24B15

Gord Dibben  Excel MVP XL2002

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:13:28 -0700, "Ivy" <ivy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm using Excel 2000.  I have a set of merged cells A5-
>E5.  I have several lines
>of text in the cells and I want them to wrap across the
>merged cells and it is not working.  All I get is the
>first line of text showing and the rest is cut off.  It
>works if the cells are not merged, but I really need to do
>it in my merged cells.  Is there a way to this other than
>manually resizing the height of the row?

0
gdibben (257)

Word hangs when I try to edit text

DLookup (populating text based on other selections on form)
Hi All, I have searched a few posts and still having trouble with this easy (hopefully) fix. I have a form called "Form_Update_Individual_Goal". On this form are a few combo boxes (Quarter, Year, VP Name, Director Name, Manager Name, Associates Name and Goal). Each of these are based on a table called "Individual_Goals_Input: All Items". On this table is the above combo boxes plus a field I want to bring down to a text box called "Measure" So Ideally, what i want to do is the following: Person Selects on form: Quarter: Q1 Year: 2010 VP Name: Hap...

How can I insert a cell reference in a footer (eg for variable foo #2
Any ideas on how to do this? I'm trying to create a template with the doc reference number in the footer However, I'm trying to avoid users having to edit the footer (because this just wont get done). Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.LeftFooter = .Range("A1").Text End With End Sub This code should go in the ThisWorkbook code module. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "wngg001" <wngg001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A0F9D9E-269F-45CF-A6E3...

I can send but not receive emails in outlook
I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to Outlook Express which was installed with Microsoft Works I can still access my incoming mail from there Do you receive any errors when trying to receive? "TeeJay" <TeeJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1BA6E6F-2C25-460E-9F4F-8A6EB8C9CA96@microsoft.com... >I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive > them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to >...

VBA
I have created code that inserts lines into a financial statement but need to have certain cells in other code stay constant. B1 in certain code must stay at B1 regardless of changes to the spreadsheet. Any suggestions?? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Use the INDIRECT function. E.g., =INDIRECT("B1") The B1 will remain so regardless of inserting and deleting rows. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "bforster1 >" <<bforster1.1cmxzp@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in m...

caption, text box, and frame
I inserted a picture (a bitmap), cropped and sized it to fill the page from side to side, and positioned it 1.5" from the top "margin" so that it would be at the top of the text area. I then clicked on Insert Caption and got the usual panel offering "Figure 1" as its label. Instead of simply inserting a paragraph in Caption format as usual, it inserted a text box with the caption label in it. When I typed the content of the caption, the following body text reduced to a single line. Dragging the picture's anchor to a different paragraph made whole paragrap...

Merging tables
Hello, I do not have deep knowledge of Excel. That is why my proble might appear a bit strange: I have two tables, list1 and list2. In both tables there is a colum with unique ID numbers. The rest of the columns contains differen information in both tables. Example: list1 ----- ID name email 101 bob bob@none.com 102 rita rita@none.com ... 999 jim jim@none.com list2 ----- ID salary 102 2000 103 2500 ... 204 2100 What I would like to get as a result is a combined table, with selecte columns from both tables in it. I.e.: list3 ----- ID name salary 101 bob - 102 rita 2500 ... Anyone who can ...

Need to set up a slide with 4 text boxes on same page.
Want to end up with 4 "bulleted" boxes that I can to show 4 strategies and associated task on same page. Also, if possible have each one drop in individually to allow flow conrol for the presentation Are you asking a question about how to do that or having trouble with part of that? If the former, just create four separate text boxes with bulleted text, you are not limited to only one text box per slide. Use the Custom Animation, Effects Options, Text Animation settings to control the entrance of the bullet points. Since you didn't say what version of PowerPoi...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Add Text Field Columns
PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? -- On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:38:49 -0600, bw wrote: > PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) > > I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a > concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? How does one add "This is text." + "this is also text&qu...

how to change the icon text
To all, What event to I do to handle when my app get iconified? I Need to set the window text for my icon differently than my app title bar text. When I run my app, the window text for the app title bar is "foo", when the user iconifies the app, I want the icon text to be "bar". How do I do that? Thanks for the help, Reza Take a look at CWnd::OnSysCommand. SC_RESTORE and SC_MINIMIZE is what you want to look for in this method. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "reza razavipour" <rrazavipour@stbernard.com> wrote in message news:uK18XkXH...

Owner draw buttons : 2D look...Can it be 3D?
hi, Priyanka here... i created owner draw buttons in my application. but the feel and look of these buttons is not the same as the CButtons. i mean when i click on the CButton, it gives a 3D feel as the text shows some offset and the button gives a pressed look. but in the owner draw buttons, there is no such 3D effect i can see. can we make it possible? Thanks Priyanka priya wrote: > hi, > Priyanka here... > i created owner draw buttons in my application. but the feel and look > of these buttons is not the same as the CButtons. i mean when i click > on the CButton, it gives...

Merging mass e-mails between word and Outlook (XP)
When sending a mass e-mail from Word to Outlook, a message appears stating that 'another program is trying to automatically send e-mails' You choose 'Allow access for 10 minutes' and click OK Then, a similiar message appears for each of the e-mails being sent. You need to click Yes for each of the e- mails. I have tried adjusting security levels with no luck. Any ideas?? ...

automatically sizing text with graphs
hi, is there a way to make the text in my charts size proprotionally with the graphs when i move them to another location (eg: a different sheet or chart)....I seem to have a problem with the way the graphs shrink but the text retaining their original size after i move them. -- Shoque ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Shoque's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36320 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=566948 Right-click on the axis labels and choose Format Axis. Go to the Fon...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

Using a Text / Data output as a cell reference
I am trying to use the end of a column as a divisor and need to convert what i guess is text into an actual cell reference if possible. In column A, say there are 13 data points ending at cell A13. I then try to turn that into a cell reference with the formula ="A"&TEXT(COUNTA(A1:A13,),"0") I put this formula in B1 the output of this is then A13 what i need this to do, is be able to divide any cell by A13. The reason I am going through all this trouble is that there are many columns and each has a different # of data points. I hope this is somewhat clear. Thanks ...

Is there a work-a-round i can use for making a datagrid....
Hey all, I am trying to make a datagrid on a form that the user would input info, and once completed, it would be put in correct area's of the workbook. I cant use a datagrid as job doesn't alw downloads for net so i cant get the update needed to alw me to use datagrids( see post sugj: "Missing Control In Addin") is there a way i can use a text box or some other box or tool to do this? When you say "form", do you mean UserForm or worksheet set up to look like a data input form? If a UserForm, then yes, you can use TextBoxes, but you didn't supp...

TEXT TO SPEECH CHANGES
Currently my text to speech config reads ONLY LETTERS if the letters are CAPITALs(IE when it come to the word ABLE, it speaks A B L E how can I change the setting to make the system say "able" Thanks Enter this small macro: Sub Macro1() For n = 1 To 100 Cells(n, 1).Speak Next n End Sub And it should "say" whatever text you enter in A1 thru A100 -- Gary's Student "pcor" wrote: > Currently my text to speech config reads ONLY LETTERS if the letters are > CAPITALs(IE when it come to the word ABLE, it speaks A B L E > how can I change...

Cell QA for Bob Phillips
Good afternoon Bob: In reference to your QA: (Which sheet was the active sheet when you right-clicked on the tab? It should have been Data Sheet). Yes, I did as you said, but I am not sure I placed the text string in the right place. I pasted it in View Code on the blank area to the right of "Project / Properties" section but for some reason it is not moving the text from "Data Sheet" to the "Activity Sheet". Is it possible to communicate with you directly so I can get this worked out? Thanks John ---------------------------------------------------...

Can anybody tell me what is wrong ...
/* I am trying to practice multidimensional array in a managed class using dynamical allocation. If I tried to compile the following codes, I would get the under mentioned c2440 error message. It is only practice. You may notice that I am not using "private" or constructor here. Can anybody tell me what is wrong and how I can rewrite that line right? Thanks a lot. */ #include "stdafx.h" #include <string.h> #include <string> #using <mscorlib.dll> #include <tchar.h> using namespace System; using namespace std; __gc class Month { public:...

scanner can't read barcodes on paper
My barcode scanner can't seem to read barcodes that I printed out. I will not barcodes on receipt either. any suggestions will be great. Thanks I had the same problem. I only had this problem with certain barcodes. When I looked at the ones that the scanner wasn't reading, I noticed that they all used lower case letters. As soon as I changed the letters to upper case I was able to scan the labels. "country" wrote: > My barcode scanner can't seem to read barcodes that I printed out. > I will not barcodes on receipt either. > > any suggestions will be g...

Migration: Migrated custom fields can't sync with plan
We migrated a set of enterprise global fields from 2003 to 2007. However, some of the post migration changes to these fields can't be reflected into project professional for all plans. Example, we have a project outline code in 2003 called Portfolio, which is a hierarchical set of values. In 2003, we allowed selection of non-leave node and didn't allow multi-selection. After migration, we changed the settings of the field to allow only leave node and multi-selection. However, these changes are neither picked up by migrated project plans nor newly created project plan....

Can you work this backwards
Previously I used 3 simple formulas (if statements) to calculate a charge, so if E9 =3D=A33000 then the formula for the charge was =3DIF(E9<=3D1000;E9*1.1;"=A3100") then =3DIF(AND(E9>1000;E9 <=3D2000);(E9-1000)*0.9;"=A3200") =3DIF(E9>2000;(E9-2000)*0.5;) Total Cost ... of above 3 items plus E9 (=A33000) Now people are asking to spend a total of =A33000 including the charge, so now Total Cost is to be =A33000 and then I have to work back to find E9. How is the best way to do this please. Bob Hi, Use the "Solver" utility in Excel. Let us suppose ...

How do I extract text from a consecutive run of 15 pgs in Publishe
The original text was pasted in from a document. Now I want to extract the text to a Word document again so that I can get someone else to update it. 2007 If the text boxes are connected, you could try Edit | Edit Story in Word -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Suebriquet" <Suebriquet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31CB7416-D6DB-4047-B8A6-AB811624E37C@microsoft.com... > The original text was pasted in from a document. Now I want to extract the > text to a Word document again so that I can get someone else to update...

how do I get the if function to return a blank cell, not 0?
I am trying to create a chart from a series that contains data for each month. The series is calculated on other worksheets and copied to the worksheet containing the chart. I would like to have the cells for the months that have not been updated yet (now is January, there are 0' in all cells for Feb-Dec) to be blank (to create gaps in the chart) not 0's. Can this be done? Unfortunately, what you want, and what many of us have requested but doesn't exist, is a worksheet function like BLANK() or NULL(). The best we can do is use NA() in a chart's data source, which is...