I'm using Excel 2000.  I have a set of merged cells A5-
E5.  I have several lines
of text in the cells and I want them to wrap across the
merged cells and it is not working.  All I get is the
first line of text showing and the rest is cut off.  It
works if the cells are not merged, but I really need to do
it in my merged cells.  Is there a way to this other than
manually resizing the height of the row?
0
ivy1 (1)

Instead of merging cells, have you tried the "Center Across Selection"
option ?
The appearence is just about identical to what you would get using merged
cells, although I don't know your requirements for wanting to use merge.

Another approach where you wouldn't need to manually resize the rows, if you
knew the approximate size of the text beforehand, is to merge your cells
*both* horizontally *and* vertically and use the <Alt> <Enter> for a forced
line break (word wrap).

HTH

RD

"Ivy" <ivy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Excel 2000.  I have a set of merged cells A5-
> E5.  I have several lines
> of text in the cells and I want them to wrap across the
> merged cells and it is not working.  All I get is the
> first line of text showing and the rest is cut off.  It
> works if the cells are not merged, but I really need to do
> it in my merged cells.  Is there a way to this other than
> manually resizing the height of the row?

0
Ragdyer (92)
9/5/2003 11:22:57 PM
Ivy

Wrap text works on merged cells.  Autoheight does not.  Perhaps this is what
you are experiencing.  You can resize manually or via Macro.  Jim Rech has
written code for this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05

Note also a recent adaptation of this code by Greg Wilson.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P37D24B15

Gord Dibben  Excel MVP XL2002

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:13:28 -0700, "Ivy" <ivy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm using Excel 2000.  I have a set of merged cells A5-
>E5.  I have several lines
>of text in the cells and I want them to wrap across the
>merged cells and it is not working.  All I get is the
>first line of text showing and the rest is cut off.  It
>works if the cells are not merged, but I really need to do
>it in my merged cells.  Is there a way to this other than
>manually resizing the height of the row?

0
gdibben (257)

Can't Send Messages Until I Press F9 Key
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030800050502050601040701 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit After I compose a message and click Send, the message does go its way until I press F9 or choose Tools|Send/Receive. I'm using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. In case it matters, there's a toolbar for ZoneAlrm Outlook Addin with Junk filters (I use the Zone lite firewall freebie). Is there a setting in Outlook I need to set to automatically send messages? Should I disable the Zone addin? If so, how? Thanks. ---...

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

I have a data table that looks like this: Code ------------------- STR-S SNK-S STR-K STR-F SNK-S STR-3 STR-2 STR-F SNK-S SNK-4 SNK-S STR-3 SNK-F STR-4 STR-O ------------------- "STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run, 3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you ge it. How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can' think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas? THANK YOU!! :confused -- AVER...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

Can't edit print styles in Outlook 2007

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

can't open files

Can you separate information by House?
I have two homes and want to track expenses for each home separately as well as roll up reports by category (utility, phone, etc.) for both. Is that possible? MT In microsoft.public.money, MT wrote: >I have two homes and want to track expenses for each home separately as well >as roll up reports by category (utility, phone, etc.) for both. Is that >possible? One way to do that is to use a classification. As Cal notes, Classification is tailor-made for this. Look it up in online help and then come back with questions. "MT" <MT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

can't find project or library
encounter this error : can't find project or library when try to run a code which contains Calendar1.Value any help? Hi Lynn Read the info on this page http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Excel 97-2007 It is possible you don't see it in the list, because it is installed with Access. So if you don't have that program installed you possible don't have the control. You can download the control if you don't have it (See link on the bottom of this page). -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Lynn" <moley_cruz@yahoo.com.au> wrot...

Can I delete everything on MSN Money?
Hello, I seem to have lots of problems syncronizing my MSN Money information with the web. It seems to work fine for a few months, then, for no reason, I start to get syncronization errors. I have signed up for multiple passports, because when these problems start, it seems that I get tons of multiple accounts. For example, on my one MSN Money account I have 15+ old accounts that I can't delete. 1. How do I delete ALL of the information out on MSN Money for my passport account? 2. How do I keep the syncronization from breaking in the future? Any tips or advice would be g...

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

Can't get rules to run.
I can't get Outlook 2003 rules to run. I am getting my mail from a pop3 account and would like to have new mail sorted to specific folders when it arrives. I set up the rules as I did in previous versions of outlook, but they do not run automatically. I can run the rules manually and they will move the mail. I have this rule (for example Apply this rule after the message arrive from some@email.address and on this machine only move it to the somefolder folde I have tried deselecting on this machine only Thanks. Do you have an Exchange service in this profile? Are you using Cache...

How can I reset the default pie chart label "Other" to "Equity"?
I show Cash, Equities, and Fixed Income in the large pie to the left. The equity slice is further split into large, medium, and small. The problem is that the Equity slice gets relabeled as "Other". When I manuallly change it back to Equity, I lose the ability to link to any new data...so I can't use the pie chart as a template that would allow me to put new data in the table and have the pie chart adjust automaticially. How can I reset the default pie chart label to "Equity"? or is there another solution. Instead of making pie charts (which are notor...

find match then change cell value

Provide space in text
Where text and numbers are at different locations in different cells what formula could be used to suit this type of information. I want to be able to put a space between the main body of text on the left and give a space between the text and the start of any numbers are in the cell. Example 1: A1 = Abelia Edward Goucher2 litre Should be: Abelia Edward Goucher 2 litre Example 2: A2 = Acer campestre Nanum180stem 6-8 Should be: Acer campestre Nanum 180stem 6-8 Thankyou if can be of help. Pat If you double clcik in the cell with the data then you can move th blink line to were you wan...

Halfway through my publisher document the text starts scrambling
I am in the middle of a Publisher document that I have to get out ASAP and the words are scrmbling all of a sudden; for instance instead of the it prints out eht. HELP!! Might try an updated printer driver. What version Publisher are you using? What printer? What version Windows? Canon has issues with Publisher 98 and Windows 98 How to troubleshoot text printing (inkjet printers) in Publisher 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198258&Product=pub PUB2000: Troubleshooting Text Printing (Laser Printers) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198...

Merging Projects ?
Hi, again, I created two dialog projects in a single workspace. My intent was to merge them into a single project (the main dialog from one being called from the other). The idea being that, by having both projects merged into a single entity, the data transfer is possible between sections. Although I took care to have resource.h use an independent set of values, (even IDC_MAINFRAME vs IDC_MAINFRAME_II), I have been stymied by the two independent resource (.rc) files (only one is allowed). My current solution is to use ShellExecute(). Is there a way I can add one dialog to the othe...

Detect cell colour
I have spreadsheets where 5 cells have general titles and have different background colours. In other sheets, dozens of cells list topics and are also colour coded to show which general title they refer to. I need to tabulate information so that a row would contain three cells: the general title, a topic and data about it. Is there a command that returns the colour of the cell background, so that I could use this to select the correct title to accompany the topic? Hi, Yes there is: FontC = Worksheets("Planning").Cells(<Row>, <Column>).Font.ColorIndex Interi...