How can I set up to chose more than 1 item from a dropdown list (.

I am trying to set up dropdown lists in MS Excel using the data validation
function.  Is there a way that I can set up the list so that the user is able
to chose more than 1 choice from my list?  You see this on websites often.

Using data validation, you can select multiple items with some
programming. There's an example here:

Under 'Data Validation', look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
4/7/2005 2:17:24 PM
Maybe you can pick up something from Debra Dalgleish's sample workbook:
http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

Look for:
Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List-- Select multiple items from a
dropdown list; an event macro stores selections in adjacent cell, or in same
cell. DataValMultiSelect.xls 39kb

microchick wrote:

> I am trying to set up dropdown lists in MS Excel using the data validation
> function.  Is there a way that I can set up the list so that the user is able
> to chose more than 1 choice from my list?  You see this on websites often.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> Using data validation, you can select multiple items with some
> programming. There's an example here:
>
>        http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html
>
> Under 'Data Validation', look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'
>

> microchick wrote:
> > I am trying to set up dropdown lists in MS Excel using the data validation
> > function.  Is there a way that I can set up the list so that the user is able
> > to chose more than 1 choice from my list?  You see this on websites often.
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

No, I don't know of any non-programming way to allow multiple selections
from a data validation list. Perhaps you could use the same list in
multiple columns, and allow users to select one in each column.

microchick wrote:
> Thank you.  So other than programming it in with virtual basic, there's no
> easy way to do it? I looked at the code and think it's out of my skill
> level...and it looks like a simple copying of the text won't do the job.  Any
> suggestions?
>
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>

>>Using data validation, you can select multiple items with some
>>programming. There's an example here:
>>
>>       http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html
>>
>>Under 'Data Validation', look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'
>>

>>microchick wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to set up dropdown lists in MS Excel using the data validation
>>>function.  Is there a way that I can set up the list so that the user is able
>>>to chose more than 1 choice from my list?  You see this on websites often.
>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Can't find where to change view!
I have Outlook 2002 all fully patched both on my Desktop and on my Laptop. When I view a particular message on my desktop version, it views in HTML. When I view the SAME message in Outlook on the laptop, it's just plain text. I can't for the life of me, find the option in Outlook on the laptop to change that! (It's probably SO obvious I just haven't seen it!) Thanks -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Do you have the Slovak Attachment Options add-in installed on the laptop? If so, check to see if the "Re...

Security Permissions on Address List!!!!!!!!
I accidently set the authenticated users group to deny all on an address list and set it not to inherit permissions..... can i somehow reset this?! help! thanks. I cant even delete it either in adsi! Correction, I deleted the address list container out of the configuration schema in AD. is there any way to restore this? a reinstall of exchange, or using an authoritative restore of AD just for that object? Thanks. "Gabe Matteson" <gmatteson@inquery.biz.nospam> wrote in message news:%23hZuKDMHGHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I accidently set the authenticated users ...

Unsolvable cell naming question: Can anyone beat this one?
I am trying to copy and paste named cells from one workbook to another without having the first workbook file name attach to the named cells. For example, I am copying a cell named XYZ from file One.xls to file Two.xls. I need to have cell XYZ NOT say One.xls!XYZ when it is entered into Two.xls. Also, how can I get that message that asks if I want to use the cell names to not pop up? I think I understand what you're running into here. If the cell you are MOVING refers to a named range in it's source workbook that doesn't exist in the destination workbook, Excel will not ide...

Change the numeric value of a dropdown to text value
I'm trying to email the values of form fields that I have created in a form. So basically what I want to do is in the Subject I want to take the "value" of the dropdown called dropdown1 and put it in the subject. It is working but it is putting the numeric value instead of the text value. How do I convert it. Thanks much! Use the .Result, not the .Value -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Wo...

User distribution lists do not appear in GAL
Hello All, Today I had a problem with my Exchange 2003 server for the distribution lists and their GAL (Global Address List) listings. I solved the *my* problem and I would like to share it as a reference..(The problem might be different than yours but hope it may help somebody) ---- The Problem --- The distribution groups that are created under the "Active directory Users and Computers" Panel do not appear in GAL , even after the RUS (Recipent Update Service) is updated over the accounts. Additional info A ) The groups were apperaring under the All Global Address List > Defa...

How do you keep a list drop-down menu visible?
I would like to keep the drop-down menu created when you make a list in Excel 2003 visable, even when you dont have a cell active in the area the list has been created. It seems the default behavior is to hide the drop-down menu unless a cell in the list area is active. I have another document here that somone else created (dont know who) where the drop-down menu for filtering using a list is ALWAYS visable. Its driving me nuts trying to find out how it was done. If anyone knows i would be very grateful. Thanks It sounds like they used Data|Filter|autofilter. phatfish wrote: > > I...

Moving outlook items
As I have Outlook 97 and Outlook Express 6, I'm using OE as my default mail handler. However, I have a fair number of emails stored in Outlook to which I have to refer from time to time. Is there any way to move them so that I can open them in OE and thus not have to use Outlook at all? Also: when clicking on an email link (xxx@ somethingorother), my Windows treats Outlook as the default mail handler and opens a new message in outlook. Any way I can change this? Any help appreciated Nick On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:05:41 +0100, "Nick Drew" <spam@nickdrew.com> wrote: >...

Can I insert a box on excel that can be checked and un-checked?
I would like to insert a box that can be checked or unchecked, like a check list showing what is done and what is not done. I was just wondering where I can find that. Thanks Right click on your toolbar, on the drop down pick Forms, should be there Larry -- keithl816 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21287 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494386 ...

Reading Pane Settings

HOW DO I SET UP A JOB SHEET?
im trying to set up a day to day job sheet im new to all this any ideas anyone? Good advice here... http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming) "kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message im trying to set up a day to day job sheet im new to all this any ideas anyone? The Microsoft Template Gallery is a great place to start: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/FX100595491033.aspx Hope that helps, Smitty "kelly" wrote: &g...

File List Folder Outlook 2003
Hi, I found an article which describes how to setup a folder to view any file system folder in Outlook 2002. I can't find any equivalent in Outlook 2003. Basically I just want to have an Outlook 2003 folder named something like "my files" and have its address pointing to a mapped drive. I have tried setting up a "home page" location on a folder, but it only works for web addresses, not file systems. Thanks in advance. Regards, Troy At the bottom of the Navigation pane, you should have buttons for Folder List, Shortcuts, etc. Select the Folder List button. Op...

Error can't empty clipboard appears when trying to copy.
When I try to copy and paste a table from Excel into Word I am getting the error "can't empty clipboard" appears after hitting the copy function...This has happened a couple of times but only after extended use of the program. When I pull up the clipboard there is nothing on it at all...I opened the clipboard on every program I have running to see if its full somewhere else but it isn't. ...

RMS SO 2.0 Manager
On one of my RMS SO 2.0 Manager's computer I'm having a huge delay (about 5 minutes) before the Item list shows up (Database - Items). This only happens on this one machine that's "directly" connected to the RMS server (no VPN etc), while it's trying to bring up the Items List the SOMANAGER.EXE process CPU Utilization stays at 99% and there is no network utilization/activity. When I bring up an (all) Item List/Value report it doesn't take very long at all. Has anybody else encountered this problem and knows of a potential solution? I've already tried r...

can not download explorer 8
When I go to download explorer 8 and go to run it this comes up and wont let me download the procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll. How can I be able to download explorer 8? There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection! NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your...

Selecting Photos from and ComboBox list then print on a Report
I would like to have a ComboBox on a Form that lists the names of photographs, and somehow have the names pointing to the actual image stored in the database or on the PC. Then by clicking a button on the Form, I'd like to print a Report with the photo printed on it, along with other data from the record. I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance for the help. Dave Have a look at PictureMgr, the free demo software that I wrote to manage and print images. http://www.datastrat.com/Download/Picture2K.zip -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http:/...

Setting navigation buttons on/off
I am opening a form in code and I want to open the form with or without navigation buttons depending on a condition. How do I do this? I have in frmForm1: DoCmd.Openform "frmForm2" If a then set buttons on Else set buttons off End if how do I reference the navigation buttons on frmForm2 from frmForm1? Robert Robert, NavigationButtons = True or NavigationButtons = False -- hth Al Campagna Microsoft Access MVP http://home.comcast.net/~cccsolutions/index.html "Find a job that you love... and you'll never work a day in your l...

CRM 3
HI all, i was unable using CRM 1.2 report in CRM 3. so, where i can find the guide for using custom crystal report in CRM 3? what software i should install. thank you, regards, Ng HI, all, it is possible add the crystal report crm 1.2 to CRM 3 report page? bec when i try using CRM3 Add new Report. i see the following msg Error Uploading Report An error occurred while trying to add the report to Microsoft CRM. Try adding the report again. If this problem continues, contact your system administrator. if can add, the crystal report crm 1.2 it is require re-mapping the fields? bec i...

RE: Can't connect to OWA
Lee Derbyshire [MVP] wrote: > 404 means 'page not found'. Have a look in IIS Manager on the OWA > server, and make sure that it still has a Virtual Directory named > 'Exchange'. > > Lee. > > Yes, IIS has still a Virtual Directory named "Exchange". When I try to connect via IE to the OWA from the OWA Server I see the logon form, but after having provided any username and password (or domain\username and password) I receive the HTTP 404 error. ...

Linked List & Dynamic Memory Allocation
Hi, I am learning about data structures. I am somewhat confused and unable to apply concept of dynamic memory allocation to my application. This is what I am trying to do. I have an array of structures as follows: #define MAX 3 typdef struct node { char name[30]; struct node* next; }nodes; int main (void) { nodes m_node[MAX]; // play around with link list here add, remove, search items etc. return 0; } I am trying to dynamically allocate memory if user chooses to enter more than 3 records. I run following code to allocate memory dynamically. Code is running fine....

How can I copy address book from MSN to MS Outlook?

OWA
I have full permissions to other users' mailboxes, and can access them in Outlook, but when I try in OWA I receive the error "You are not authorized to view this page." The way I try to access the another user's mailbox is by appending /[email alias]/inbox. (I've also tried multiple combinations of substituting email alias with user logon name and keeping/dropping "inbox.") This worked at one time, but I haven't tried it in a while. So either some updates I have applied to my server (sbs 2003 premium - running Exhange 2003) or some other configuration ch...

How can I enumerate directory content in MFC?
Hello, I have a program that has to auto save some data automatically. I want to list autosave directory content and find the file with biggest serial number e.g. AutoSave_1, AutoSave_2, AutoSave_3,... and then create a file that its name is one greater than biggest value. I have to list directory content and then look for names. Problem is I couldn't find any info on MSDN on how I cando this in MFC. the only enumeration method I could find was under .Net How should I do this in MFC? thanks a lot. >Hello, I have a program that has to auto save some data automatically. I want >...

combination validated list and free input
Two cells, first one "Name", the next a validated dropdown ("Dept."), based on "Name". "Dept" currently validates by Indirect(Name cell reference). Each Name of employees is defined as a range that has their allowable departments. The challenge is that I want this to be able to handle non- employees also. So I need the validation to allow for a range name (the list of employees), but also a "Non- Employee" entry, which would allow for someone outside of the company to submit one of these forms. My one idea of how to do this is to hav...

add items to a contact
I would like to know if it were possible (and how, maybe with a plugin) to add items to a contact in outlook 2003. In concrete, as I have seen in Agilix Gobinder 2005 or Tabletplanner, in a contact one can add persons (spouse, sons, assistants, etc) and then add to each of them items (birthdays, anniversaries, etc). In the calendar view, these family celebration dates appear so one would be able to recall them. Gobinder and Tabletplannet can sync with Outlook , but unfortunatly, these added items have no counterpart in outlook, so they are missed in outlook. Any help, please? Jaume You...

totals from list not in order
hi, I am looking to have all data on one sheet and have total amount of a group on another sheet, how do i do this?? this may seem simple to experts liek you but today si an off day for me : ) thanks for your help ...