How can I count a column of numbers

and return the number of values that fall within certain criteria?

For example, if I have 300 salaries listed, and wanted to group them into
these ranges:
3000-5999
6000-8999
9000-11999
12000-14999

etc.

Countif (as far as I know) can only have one argument.

TIA!

0
bob84 (4)

You may want to look at =frequency() in help.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

=COUNTIF(A:A,">=3000")-COUNTIF(A:A,">5999")

for 3000-5999

=COUNTIF(A:A,">=6000")-COUNTIF(A:A,">8999")

and so on

you might want to replace these hard coded values with cell references and
change
the criteria there.

It can also be done using sumproduct

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000>=6000)*(A1:A1000<=8999))

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

" Bob" <bob@bobsworld.com> wrote in message
> and return the number of values that fall within certain criteria?
>
> For example, if I have 300 salaries listed, and wanted to group them into
> these ranges:
> 3000-5999
> 6000-8999
> 9000-11999
> 12000-14999
>
> etc.
>
> Countif (as far as I know) can only have one argument.
>
> TIA!

0
terre081 (3244)
10/24/2003 2:03:53 AM
Thanks guys!  Those work, and this did also:

{=SUM(IF(A2:A475<4000,1,0))}
{=SUM(IF(A2:A475>3999,IF(A2:A475<8001,1,0)))}

etc...

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Actually, you can still use countif
>
> =COUNTIF(A:A,">=3000")-COUNTIF(A:A,">5999")
>
> for 3000-5999
>
> =COUNTIF(A:A,">=6000")-COUNTIF(A:A,">8999")
>
> and so on
>
> you might want to replace these hard coded values with cell references and
> change
> the criteria there.
>
> It can also be done using sumproduct
>

> =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000>=6000)*(A1:A1000<=8999))
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> " Bob" <bob@bobsworld.com> wrote in message
> > and return the number of values that fall within certain criteria?
> >
> > For example, if I have 300 salaries listed, and wanted to group them
into
> > these ranges:
> > 3000-5999
> > 6000-8999
> > 9000-11999
> > 12000-14999
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > Countif (as far as I know) can only have one argument.
> >
> > TIA!

0
bob84 (4)
10/24/2003 3:13:47 AM
Yes, the array formula will work, but it isn't needed. In general you should use array formulas
when there is no other solution.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 03:13:47 GMT, "                              Bob" <bob@bobsworld.com> wrote:

>Thanks guys!  Those work, and this did also:
>
>{=SUM(IF(A2:A475<4000,1,0))}
>{=SUM(IF(A2:A475>3999,IF(A2:A475<8001,1,0)))}
>
>etc...
>
>"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Actually, you can still use countif
>>
>> =COUNTIF(A:A,">=3000")-COUNTIF(A:A,">5999")
>>
>> for 3000-5999
>>
>> =COUNTIF(A:A,">=6000")-COUNTIF(A:A,">8999")
>>
>> and so on
>>
>> you might want to replace these hard coded values with cell references and
>> change
>> the criteria there.
>>
>> It can also be done using sumproduct
>>

>> =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000>=6000)*(A1:A1000<=8999))
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peo Sjoblom
>>
>> " Bob" <bob@bobsworld.com> wrote in message
>> > and return the number of values that fall within certain criteria?
>> >
>> > For example, if I have 300 salaries listed, and wanted to group them
>into
>> > these ranges:
>> > 3000-5999
>> > 6000-8999
>> > 9000-11999
>> > 12000-14999
>> >
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > Countif (as far as I know) can only have one argument.
>> >
>> > TIA!

0
myrnailarson (145)

can't send or receive emails

Access 97 can't resize database window

if cell is text move left one column

How can I get 32-bit Integers?

Can you delete Business Alerts?

Office 2007 forms

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Why ClassWiard can't see my Class?
I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(Class-B) which derived from CWnd class. When I used mouse right-click on the new-created class, it shows a popup-command-menu which missing "add virtual function" and "add windows message handler". From ClassWizard I couldn't see the new-created class either. I tried to delete myprogram.clw & re-issue ClassWizard, but it doesn't help. Anyone can help ? Thanks, Eagle "EagleChen" <xx@xx> wrote in message news:uRGde941DHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(C...

Sorting on Column headers
I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I really need to save time with this project if possible. Thanks!:) --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the > Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in > chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I > really need to save time with this project if possib...

Format for credit card numbers

limit the number of outgoing messages
Hi, who can I limit the number of concurrent outgoing messages? for example: if I have a queue of 1000 messages, how can I force exchange to send only 50 messages at a time? ...

Publisher can not save file

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

how can I do a lookup into another sheet?
how can I do a lookup into another sheet? thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try something like =VLOOKUP(123,Sheet2!A1:B10,2,FALSE) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "melawaisi" <melawaisi.ws67m@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:melawaisi.ws67m@excelforum-nospam.com... > > how can I do a lookup into another sheet? > thanks > > > ------...