How can I combine data from a list?

For example: suppose I had a very simple list, with two columns: "Name" and
"Number".  The category "name" has three items: Dog, Cat, and Dog.  Each of
those three items has a corresponding "number" value: 3, 4, and 5.  I'm
trying to find a function that would recognize the fact that I have "Dog"
listed twice, and would sum the 3 & 5 values listed next to each "Dog",
leaving me with a two-item list: Dog, 8 & Cat, 4.

Is there a way to do this?

A Pivot Table will do that nicely for you:

Set the Name as a ROW and the Number as the DATA.

See if that works for you. Post back if you need more help.

--
Regards,
Ron

It sounds like you want to use =sumif().

You can read about it in Excel's help or visit Debra Dalgleish's site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions01.html#SumIf

--

Dave Peterson
0

Publisher catelog merge- cannot open data source file
whether I try to open the source file or open a new one, I get the message: operation cannot be completed becasue of dialog or database engine failures. Please try again later. Troubleshooting advice suggestd to undate the engine from Windows update - can't find it. Does anyone have more specific troubleshooting advice? This article has a solution: You receive a "The operation cannot be completed because of dialog or data base engine failures" error message when you try to perform a mail merge by using an Outlook 2003 contact folder in Publisher 2003 http://support.mic...

Numerical entry for list boxes on a user form
I have a user form with 3 text boxes that inputs information onto a worksheet. What code do I need to make sure the textboxes only accept numerical entry. ie I only want a user to enter numbers, not letters ....and would I put the code inbetween this section: - Private Sub TextBox2_Change() End Sub TIA See reply from Nicke to your question in .programming, and don't multipost. -- HTH RP "Anthony Slater" <AnthonySlater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A87CD04E-5B58-46C4-B936-6B0433FCE8A6@microsoft.com... > I have a user form with 3 text boxes t...

Can't add files to Media Player!
I'm getting REALLY frustrated with MP11! It's easy to go online and find audio files but I can't figure out how to add a bunch of mp3 files I've created on my computer! Where's HELP in the program? I told it to check the directory where I have these files, but that's not working! There's no menu option to "add files??" Arrgh! On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:41:01 -0800, Bob Munk <Bob Munk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm getting REALLY frustrated with MP11! It's easy to go online and find >audio files but I can...

Recently moved home. Using dads ISP. Can't send or recieve email
Recently moved from Austin to Kansas City. Currently using my fathers ISP for internet and email access. Need help on how to send and receive emails through outlook 2002. Can I just creat a new account with my own personal user name and password? Boomerang <Boomerang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Recently moved from Austin to Kansas City. Currently using my fathers > ISP for internet and email access. Need help on how to send and > receive emails through outlook 2002. Can I just creat a new account > with my own personal user name and password? With the ISP? You...

Can not close the mailbox.
Hello, I was using MDaemon groupware before and then uninstall it. Then, I try to remove the mailbox that the MDaemon Groupware had created. but the Outlook prompt me "The set of folder could not be open" and the detail is "This error usually appears if the OST or PST file you are using is: Unavailable Protected with file permissions On a share on a server and the network is down Corrupt To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local computer. You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools to verify file integrity. More information about ...

Data Migration manager setup fails.
I'm trying to instaal DMM on an XP machine. Everything goes fine until the installation is stopped. The message in my logfiles is: EVENT-Id:17188 MSCRMPERFCOUNTER. Sorry the rest is in Dutcht: Kan beschrijving voor gebeurtenis-ID (17188) in bron (MSCRMPerfCounters) niet vinden. De lokale computer beschikt wellicht niet over de benodigde registergegevens of DLL-berichtbestanden om berichten van een externe computer te kunnen weergeven. U kunt mogelijk de schakeloptie /AUXSOURCE= gebruiken om deze beschrijving op te halen, zie Help en ondersteuning voor details. De volgende gegevens z...

Can't open workbook by clicking on file
Why won't double-clicking open the workbook? When I am in Windows Explorer (or other folder) with excel file in it I double-click on the file and xcel opens WITHOUT a workbook! If I have one or two workbooks open and double click on the nex workbook I want to open, it still opens a blank xcell window, not blank workbook, a blank xcell window. I am runningwindows XP. It did this with office 2000, and now afte installing Office XP 2004 it STILL does it. The only way to open a workbook is to open excel first and then us open command and navigate. Sounds minor, but can't do merge i...

Cutting a line in a line chart when data series stops
I have a series like so: Jan 10 Feb 10 Mar 11 Apr 12 May Jun Jul And so on - the rest of the year is blank. When I draw a line chart for the full 12 months the series draws a line up to April, then plummets to zero in May. I want the line to just stop at April. If I use a series as above and genuine empty cells for the end of the year this ok, but since my May cell reads =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,"") the "" does not seem to get recognised as a blank cell. Please help!! Change your formula to =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,NA()) -- David Biddulph "DannyS" <Da...

Combine the contents of two cells.
I want to copy the contents of a cell and insert it at the beginning of the text of another cell: ie I want to combine the text contained in two cells into one cell. I can do it manually but would like to use a macro as I have a lot of cutting and inserting to do!! I use Office 2000. Hi! Assume you want to combine cells A1:A100 with cells B1:B100. In cell C1 enter this formula: =A1&B1 If you want a space between values: =A1&" "&B1 Drag copy down to C100 or just double click the fill handle. Now, if you no longer need the data in columns A and B select C1:C10...

Can't use links
Every time I try to click a link I get an error message "general failure. the url was: "http....etc Any idea what's going on? I can't even enable instant search or click any links in my email. Always get the same error message (obviously with different url info). I welcome your suggestions and thanks in advance. I just recently upgraded from office 2003 and 2007 is awesome! This appears to be a default browser problem. In the two cases I found by searching, the problem was solved by setting IE to be the default browser; in one case by using "Set Program acces...

Can't delete Contacts in Address Book in Outlook 2000
It might be coincidental, but soon after I installed the Outlook Personal Folders Backup, it seems now I can't delete names from my Contacts and I want to delete names I no longer need to send e-mails to. When I attempt to delete those names, I get this message: Some names could not be deleted from the address list. The action could not be completed. Does anyone know how to get around this? ...

Link a picture to data
When I select a group of cells and copy/paste as picture to another worksheet (in the same workbook), I want to have the picture linked to the source data so that the picture changes when the source data changes. I am pretty sure I have done this before, but cannot remember how. Thanks. ...

Why does AutoFilter not show all the data in the pull down?
In an Excel spreadsheet with 12,000 lines, and autofilter on, all the possible selections are not displayed in the filter pull down. I can use custom filter in the pull down, but is more time consuming. I'd rather scroll in the pull down. Is there a limit on the amount of lines shown in the pull down? Or am I missing something? Go to Excel help and enter limits. Excel has dozens of limits. I was surprised not to find a limit on Autofilter which is 1000. Most irritating is only 1024 characters can display in a cell and only 256 characters can be copied to another worksheet. ...

Can you create a table of contents from the worksheet tabs in a w.
I use Excel files that have up multiple worksheets. Is there an easy way to create a summary worksheet at the beginning of the workbook that is a linked table of contents based on the worksheet tab names? Much like how PowerPoint allows you to see an Outline view of the slides. In a perfect scenario, if I renamed a worksheet tab, that information would be reflected in the table of contents. Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm "sumatradc" wrote: > I use Excel files that have up multiple worksheets. Is there an easy way to > create a summary wor...

Can I make a Cladogram using microsoft Excel?
I'm using microsoft offfice 2003 and was curious is there anyway I can make a caldogram using the program? I know that it is possible to make a family tree; however this is inifficient in depicting ancestoral progression of the species- which would be better display with a cladogram. Any Help greatly appreciated! Hi, Maybe fernando cinquegrani's cluster or grafi examples may help. http://www.prodomosua.it/ppage02.html It should be possible to construct a chart using a xy-scatter and various charting tricks. But a lot depends on how you have this data stored. Cheers Andy La...

How can I data sort to more than 3 levels
Is there a technique or add-in utility that will let me do a data sort in Excel to 4 or more levels at once. Currently you can only do 3 levels, and then you have to separate the data to do more. Thanks for any help -- Pam LaDue ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pam LaDue's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36773 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=564880 You have replies at your other post. Pam LaDue wrote: > > Is there a technique or add-in utility that will let me d...

Data From A List
WHat I am trying to do is Type in a name of a Client in a cell and have the adjacent cell automatically enter a specific client number.... For example.... if on cell A2 I type in "Smith" I want A3 to read "100". I have a list of names and client numbers..... I have tried LookUp... but to no avail. Any help? Thanks Well, you need to show us your formula, for starters. Tyro "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E977F61D-B06C-4E81-9D1F-83094823B1F1@microsoft.com... > WHat I am trying to do is Type in a name of a Client in ...

Filtering data to different worksheets
Hi all, I'm sue this should be really simple to do but I'm struggling to get i to work. I have a list of account numbers and who has keyed each one on. I want to filter down the list so that I have a seperate worksheet fo each person with all of the account numbers (plus other columns of inf ie. address, phone number) that they have done. I've tried vlookup but that, obviously, only looks up the 1st accoun number. Can anyone point out what I'm missing? Thank -- jappe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- japper's Profile: http://www...

Remove All Bill Data
When I first upgraded to Money Plus, I was having performance issues. Nuking the bills to eliminate the multiple schemas that had built up since Money 1.0 seemed reasonable, so I performed the operation and rebuilt them. However, here I am, 4-5 months later, unable to balance my primary checking account without having Money hang and need to be killed twice during the process. I can't enter transactions that match scheduled bills without having Money hang and need to be killed. So, I nuked the bills again and started over with rebuilding them. Problem solved. Rather than cleaning up th...

data-set too big for Excel
I am using Excel to extract data from a database, but when the extracted data is too extensive, Excel is stuck. Is there any way to expand the data-holding capacity of Excel? I am using Excel 2000. Any help would be appreciated. ...

How can I import Smartdraw Files in Visio
I have files I created in Smartdraw *.sdr and I would like to import them into Viso as I no longer use Smartdraw. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, John Pierce Visio does not have an import filter for Smartdraw. You might be able to Copy / Paste your drawing as a metafile image between the applications. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "John Pierce" <JohnPierce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F0B751B-4D16-406F-81B8-7F56844963FA@microsoft....

Changing data orientation from one sheet to another
Hi, On sheet1 the data is oriented vertically as A1 A2 A3 I'd like on sheet2 the data be oriented horizontally A1 to A1 A2 to B1 A3 to B3 Can it be done? if so, how? TIA Olga Excell 07 Copy the data from sheet1 Select A1 of sheet2 and paste special>transpose. Note: cannot be done if you have more than 16384 rows of data in column A Also, I think you have a typo at A3 to B3.........maybe A3 to C1? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:55:12 +0200, "Olga" <noemail@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, >On sheet1 the data is oriented vertically as >A1 >A...

Creating additional panes of data in CRM 1.2
When we select a Contact, I want to be able to bring up both the History and Activities associated with the contact. I'd like to create a 'window pane' on the right side and the bottom that displays this information - the question is can I do this without having to create a completely new ASP form? Thanks! David David, what you want is not currently possible with the out-of-the-box CRM. You have two options, build it yourself using the SDK, or purchase the functionality from an ISV that has already built it (www.salentica.com , www.c360.com). Dave <anonymous@discuss...

Data Recovery Discussion
Hi! I am the Author of Book titled, �'Data Recovery with & without Programming' (http://www.datadoctor.biz/author.htm)�. I provide ONLINE ' data recovery training' (http://www.datadoctor.biz/DRCguide.htm) (Professional Courses ). If any forum member has any Computer Data Recovery related query or interested in Data Recovery knowledge sharing or You've any Data Recovery Software Programming related issues, I'll be happy to discuss the things. If you�ve any query or comments, feel free to mail me� Regards, 'Tarun Tyagi' (http://www.datadoctor.biz/author....

Help: pivot chart data in secured Access database wont show fields
Hello Is there a way for me to crate a pivot chart in Excel where the data is in a secured access database. By default (ie using system.mdw) the Access security allows a user view permissions on the tables. When connecting to the database the tables are visible, but the next step where the fields get shown doesnt happen, no fields can be selected. Is this a security issue? Is there a way around this? Thanks A ...