Hotkey for Font color change while editing cell.

Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
communication and then set that new text to bold blue.

I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
without having to take my hands off the keyboard.

Is this possible?

go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.

stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.

go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
folder, and double click on the module.

delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this

    With Selection
    .Font.ColorIndex = 5
    End With

save the sheet.

now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue

"Jason" wrote:

> Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
> record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
> cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
> communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>
> I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
> without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>
> Is this possible?
This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
run macros while in edit mode?

Thanks!

"joemeshuggah" wrote:

> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>
> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>
> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
> folder, and double click on the module.
>
> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>
>     With Selection
>     .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>     End With
>
> save the sheet.
>
> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>

> "Jason" wrote:
>
> > Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
> > record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
> > cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
> > communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
> >
> > I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
> > without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
> >
> > Is this possible?
I think joem misunderstood your post.

He assumed your added text was in a cell by itself.

You are appending text to current text in a cell?

No option to allow macros while in edit mode.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:38:06 -0800, Jason <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
>currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
>run macros while in edit mode?
>
>Thanks!
>
>"joemeshuggah" wrote:
>
>> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
>> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>>
>> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
>> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>>
>> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
>> folder, and double click on the module.
>>
>> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>>
>>     With Selection
>>     .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>>     End With
>>
>> save the sheet.
>>
>> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>>

>> "Jason" wrote:
>>
>> > Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
>> > record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
>> > cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
>> > communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>> >
>> > I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
>> > without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>> >
>> > Is this possible?

0
Gord
1/29/2010 8:51:56 PM
On 1/29/2010 11:38 AM, Jason wrote:
> This is a great idea, however, it does not seem that I can run macro's when
> currently editing a cell.  Is there an option in Excel 2007 that allows me to
> run macros while in edit mode?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "joemeshuggah" wrote:
>
>> go to tools, macro, and then choose record macro.  in the pop up box you can
>> choose a key to use in the box next to "Ctrl+".  once chosen, choose ok.
>>
>> stop the macro from recording by hitting the stop button on the macro box
>> that appeared or by going to tools, macro, and choosing stop recording.
>>
>> go into tools, macro, visual basic editor.  to the left open the modules
>> folder, and double click on the module.
>>
>> delete anything in between the green text and "End Sub" and paste this
>>
>>      With Selection
>>      .Font.ColorIndex = 5
>>      End With
>>
>> save the sheet.
>>
>> now any time you hit Ctrl+ your chosen key, the font should turn blue
>>

>> "Jason" wrote:
>>
>>> Quick background:  I use spreadsheets for action logs.  From week to week, I
>>> record what has changed from my last communication.  I usually set the entire
>>> cell to normal black unbolded.  I add a line which has changed since last
>>> communication and then set that new text to bold blue.
>>>
>>> I want to find a way to use a hotkey to change my selected text to bold blue
>>> without having to take my hands off the keyboard.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?

After editing, hit Enter, then up-arrow, then the macro hot key. That
should work without taking your fingers off the keyboard, which is what
you wanted in your original request.

Bill
0
Bill

Right Click to Autofill cells in 2003
Hello All, In 97 to 2002 it was possible to right click when using Autofill to copy the cells down rather than continuing the sequence. in 2003 i just get a pretty red line (what purpose does this serve?). Does anyone know if I can get back the old functionality? Many thanks, Danny I have that functionality in Excel 2003 as well, maybe you have installed an add-in? In any case if you hold down ctrl while using the left click copy down it will also copy as opposed to fill a series Regards, peo sjoblom "DannyJ" wrote: > Hello All, > > In 97 to 2002 it was possi...

How do I randomly shuffle the cells in a column?
In Excel 2003, I have a column, say a1-a10, with certain entries. I need to create another column, b1-b10, with the same entries assigned randomly (shuffled) to the cells. Just one way .. Put in B1: =INDEX(A:A,RANK(C1,$C$1:$C$10)) Put in C1: =RAND() Select B1:C1, copy down to C10 B1:B10 returns a random shuffle of what's in A1:A10 Press F9 to re-shuffle -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Jason D" <Jason D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36244977-7EE5-436B-8617-59C15310B080@microsoft.com... >...

Change Contract Status
Hello, My CRM implementation does not change automatically the Contract Status from Active to Expired or from Invoiced to Active when the Contract End Date or, respectively, the Contract Start Date comes. This was happening also in the 1.2 version and now the same happens in 3.0 version. Any ideas? Thank you, Elena ...

How to change cell shading/fill based on value in another cell?
I have a sheet with two columns of experimental data. Let's say the data is in F10:F25 (column 1) & G10:G25 (column 2). There is a value in another cell (A1) that contains a 1 or a 2. If A1=1, I want to turn shading in column 1 agree and in column 2 off. If A1=2, I want to reverse that. If there a worksheet function that will do that? I was hoping for something like: =cellshading(range,color) I could then execute one of these two statements: If A1=1 then cellshading(F10:F25,"Green") cellshading(G10:G25,"None") Else cellshading(G10:G25,"Green&...

font color not displayed
When selecting text to display in another color, it still displays in black on my monitor. I have looked at my emails on the recipient's monitor, and the color DOES display - just never on mine. ...

Outlook 2003 Font Changes When Replying Plain Text
Outlook 2003 is exhibiting a strange behavior when replying to plain text messages. After clicking the "Reply" button, the message appears in the Arial font. In about two to three minutes, the font suddenly changes to Courier which is the correct font. Why is it taking so long for the font to change? Steve Lockridge steve@websitewarehouse.com ...

How to get SUMPRODUCT on filtered cells
I'm currently using the formula =SUMPRODUCT((F2:I1475>=1)*(F2:I1475<=9999)) This gives me the number of the full range of cells but I need this to update whenever I use a variety of filters. Any help is greatly appreciated Sam.D Say we have data in A1 thru B29 like: flia value 0 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 0 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 1 pass 0 pass 2 pass 0 pass 1 pass 1 fail 1 fail 0 fail 2 fail 1 fail 0 fail 1 fail 2 fail 1 fail 1 fail 1 fail 1 fail 2 fail and are appling autofilter to column a. We want to use sumpr...

Sum Multiple Worksheets, same named cell
I have multiple worksheets containing the same named cell (e.g. Month_Total). On a totals worksheet, I am not able to use =SUM('START,END'!Month_Total) because of the local/global naming. Is there a way around this? (Month_Total will not always be in the same cell on each worksheet). Thanks! It seems to me that you have two options. 1. Name each of your "Monthly Total"s slightly different. OR 2. Do not use the cell range naming. "uncreative" <uncreative@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60A150C6-50BC-4876-A31F-1C...

how can you change a "bitmap" to a jpeg??
After taking digital pictures in BITMAP, how can I change them to JPEGS? "TRM" <TRM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5C091D7-377B-4F2F-A7BF-84794BC84F38@microsoft.com... > After taking digital pictures in BITMAP, how can I change them to > JPEGS? Get XnView or IrfanView. Both are free. Then use Save As and select the format. -- _________________________________________________________________ ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ******** Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject. _________________...

powerpoint texbox issue
Sorry for posting this twice but I could not find my previous post, but I really need some help here. We have a ppt 2007 problem. The problem is on our CEO's computer too! We have ppt 2007 with all updates/service packs. The user will create a textbox in powerpoint and starts typing, then saves the ppt file. When the user goes back into the ptt file and clicks in the textbox and starts typing, "randomly" the font will increase and the user has to set the font back. Why Microsoft, why? This person uses powerpoint probably more than anyone at our company, sin...

Algebra within a cell
How do you set-up a formula in a cell that multiplies a constant times the number you insert? Ex. the constant is .315 remains present at all times only the number you insert changes - =.315*(x) You can't unless you use an event macro, if you need a formula you have to use another cell as help =0.315*A2 where A2 holds x you can also put 0.315 in a cell, copy it, select the cel with x and then paste special and select multiply. But to get this instantly you have to use something like Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Intersect(Range("A2"), Target)...

sbs 2008 under Updates, "change the software update settings" crashes console
Running SBS 2008 SP2, fresh install with just a couple users, I noticed that under Security, Updates, in the Tasks window there is a "Change the software update settings". When I click this link, the "Software Update Settings" window appears for a split second then the SBS Console crashes saying "Windows SBS 2008 Console has stopped working" with these details: Description: Stopped working Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 Problem Signature 01: console.exe Problem Signature 02: 6.0.5601.8497 Problem Signature 03: 4a612b8b...

Color for chart series auto-assigned after 56?
Using Excel 2000, I am having a color issue with charts that exceed 5 series. Below is some sample VBA to reproduce the issue. The cod creates a bar chart with 60 series. The RGB color I have chosen i white (255, 255, 255). You will notice that beginning with series 57 the color of the columns no longer gets assigned the color that I want Excel starts auto-assigning colors at this point. I have reproduce this faithfully 100% of the time. Has anyone seen this before? I there a programatic workaround so that I don't have to manually chang the colors after the fact? Thanks- Craig Sub ...

Displaying Multiple Cell Information in Single Cell
Hi all, I'm trying to present (text) data from multiple cells in another workbook in a single cell. I've tried the following formula but it returns a #VALUE! in my destination cell: ='[Project1.xls]Dependencies'!$A$6, '[Project1.xls]Dependencies'!$A$7 Any ideas on if this is possible? TIA, SamuelT -- SamuelT ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SamuelT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27501 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=503954 Use the "&...

Formatting cells
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel All of a sudden when I try to format a column of or an individual cell (format as a number, no decimal places, comma for thousands) only 2 of the four numbers appear in the cell. When I double click to view what is actually in the cell I see the four numbers I entered, the first two separated by the last two with a decimal. <br> I have tried this on new sheets and workbooks and the same thing happens. I can't tell for sure, but try going to Excel>Preferences> Edit. If there's a check on '...

How do I add multiple comments to a cell?
I need to add more than one comment to data in a single cell, is this possible? Not possible. deberjones wrote: > > I need to add more than one comment to data in a single cell, is this possible? -- Dave Peterson ...

Font problem in property Sheet
I am working on a project, in whihc i am using the propertysheet. I am using bitmap(bilbilt) as backgrpound in each of dialog of property sheet. When i am running the application in English US OS it is working fine but in case of japanese OS the back groud image(bitmap)is not coming correctlty. I think this is font problem, Because default font is change from US OS to Japanese. Because of font change dialog width is increasing and height is decreasing. How we can stop to increase in Width and Decrease in height. Essentially, while you can, it is a Really Bad Idea. Using bitmaps as backgr...

deleting fonts
My computer uses Vista Home Premium. I just had to reset it to its original state. I'm trying to delete fonts, but don't have permission. I am the only user of this computer and its administrator. When I've gone into the Fonts folder Properties - Security tab, the option for Special permissions is grayed out. When I click the Advanced option ("For special permissions or advanced settings, I don't know what to do next. Can someone please walk me through how to get permission in the Fonts folder so I can delete fonts? Thanks Kelly On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 07:...

how to prompt user to click on cell for starting import position
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C3503B.424EF830 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How would this be changed so that when the macro is run, it prompts the = user to click on the cell to start copying in the data? Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=3DRange("A1"), = DataType:=3DxlFixedWidth, _ FieldInfo:=3DArray(Array(0, 1), Array(41, 1), Array(82, 1), = Array(90, 1), Array(131, 1), _ Array(143, 1), Array(169, 1), Array(191, 1), Array(203, 1), = Array(216...

repeating cells in footer in excel
I need prepare a form with many lines. In this form I need to provide a footer (with a group of cells) for approvement. Even I can select cells to repeat in every page header there is no such a feature for footers. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http:...

Changing Quickbooks to Excel
Hey, I'm trying to get my QuickBooks Check Registry into a linear format, then put it on a disk, go to another computer and open it in Excel. Can anyone give me a link or a quick walkthrough on what I need to do, any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -- mattsides ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mattsides's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25015 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=385419 "mattsides" <mattsides.1rtnv9_1120777541.6085@excelforum-nospam.com>...

Cell ref of max value in array
Using XL2002. Other answers in these discussions have given me nearly what I'm after; please would someone complete this? A large array of numbers: which cell in each row has the max value? =MATCH(MAX(range),range,0) gets me its position, e.g. 44th cell along, but how can I translate that to Column AR or cell ref AR6? Try this on for size - if it doesn't work, let me know and we can twea it. Later, Chad =ADDRESS(MATCH(MAX(range),range,0)+ROW(range)-1,COLUMN(range),1 -- cvolker ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cvolkert's Profile: http://...

Locking cell if sum of other cells is 0
I would like cells G5,H5,I5, J5, K5, L5, M5, and N5 to be locked until the sum of E5+F5 is greater than 0. I would like to do this for all rows in the worksheet. In this case you could use conditional formatting: Go to cell G5 From the menu choose Data => Validation Validation criteria:Custom "Ignore blank" checkbox: Unchecked (!) Formula: =($E5+$F5)>0 Choose the "Error alert" tab and into Title field put something like "Input restricted", into Error message field something like "The total of column E and F must be > 0 before you can input data h...

erratic color printing iof Publisher in PDF
I have printed my color newsletter using Primo to convert it to a PDF file. I have told Primo that I want it in Black and White, not color. Some of the pages in the 12-page black and white newsletter retain some color. Outlines around articles and tables retain the color I had used in the color version. I have told Primo that the paper quality is black and white AND in experimenting, to try to figure this outI have also tried color. When the blue and orange Primo box comes up, no matter whether I click print or screen, I continue to get colors in the black and white issue. Help!! garne...

Macro to move to specified cells, pause for input at each?
-- Thanks Much! Pete Pete Is there a question here or are you just saying thanks to a response you received to an earlier post? If a question, please provide more detail or check out VBE help on "inputbox". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:41:01 -0800, "Pete in Montrose" <PeteinMontrose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: -- Thanks Much! Pete ...