Highlighting cells if a value is obtained

I have an IF equation and when it fails/brings up a certain value i would
like it to highlight the cell as a color, specifically red. Is this possible?
If so how?

For example.
The equation is
=IF(G11>130000, "No Bolt Specification For Carbon Steel", "0")
In the true instance I need that cell to be highlighted to ensure the
operator knows what happened.

Thank you for your help

Select Format | Conditional Formatting...
Formula is =G11>130000
Choose a Format
Ok
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"dippy" wrote:

> I have an IF equation and when it fails/brings up a certain value i would
> like it to highlight the cell as a color, specifically red. Is this possible?
> If so how?
>
> For example.
> The equation is
> =IF(G11>130000, "No Bolt Specification For Carbon Steel", "0")
> In the true instance I need that cell to be highlighted to ensure the
> operator knows what happened.
>
> Thank you for your help
In EXCEL 2007:-

Home / Conditional Formatting / New Rule

Which cell are you trying to highlight? G11? or another cell? or both?

In any case you should be able to set up a rule(s)  as shown above.

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks.

"dippy" wrote:

> I have an IF equation and when it fails/brings up a certain value i would
> like it to highlight the cell as a color, specifically red. Is this possible?
> If so how?
>
> For example.
> The equation is
> =IF(G11>130000, "No Bolt Specification For Carbon Steel", "0")
> In the true instance I need that cell to be highlighted to ensure the
> operator knows what happened.
>
> Thank you for your help
dippy

Look into "Conditional formating", found under "Format" in pre xl2007

Mike Rogers

"dippy" wrote:

> I have an IF equation and when it fails/brings up a certain value i would
> like it to highlight the cell as a color, specifically red. Is this possible?
> If so how?
>
> For example.
> The equation is
> =IF(G11>130000, "No Bolt Specification For Carbon Steel", "0")
> In the true instance I need that cell to be highlighted to ensure the
> operator knows what happened.
>
> Thank you for your help
Hi

Highlight the range of cells where you want the formatting applied
Format>Conditional Formatting>Cell value>Not equal to>0
Format choose whatever Font or Background colour you want.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"dippy" <dippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an IF equation and when it fails/brings up a certain value i would
> like it to highlight the cell as a color, specifically red. Is this
> possible?
> If so how?
>
> For example.
> The equation is
> =IF(G11>130000, "No Bolt Specification For Carbon Steel", "0")
> In the true instance I need that cell to be highlighted to ensure the
> operator knows what happened.
>
> Thank you for your help

> signature database 4751 (20100107) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4751 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Roger

Re : Excel Range of Values Amidst Characteristic Transitions
Re : Excel Range of Values Amidst Characteristic Transitions Enter an Excel worksheet ; now that the tabulation is prepared for (preferential) presentation, Column A is shown as follows :- 01 8.0 02 8.0 03 <A Blank Row> 04 8.0 05 <A Blank Row> 06 <A Blank Row> 07 9.0 08 <A Blank Row> 09 9.0 10 9.0 11 <A Blank Row> 12 6.5 13 6.5 14 <A Blank Row> 15 <A Blank Row> 16 <A Blank Row> 17 8.0 18 <A Blank Row> 19 8.0 20 <A Blank Row> 21 8.0 22 <A Blank Row> 23 6.5 24 <A Blank Row> 25 ...

update the same cell into another column forming a list on opening
hi there, i have made a spreadsheet to enter data and then view the resulting statistics that are generated, i have one cell that changes in value after entering the data, and i would like to keep a record of what values this cell has been, i was after a formula that would update that single cell's value into a column forming a list each time the spreadsheet was opened or the value in the cell changed, like a field perhaps, this would fill up the column with a list of results from which to generate more stats and a graph etc. any help would be great, thank you -- thank...

Surpressing plot of blank cells
I'm creating a line chart plot using Excel 2007. The data range for plot lines contains some blank cells. These blank cells get plotted as zero points. How do I change this behavior to plot only points that have values and to leave the blank cells unplotted? I appreciate your help, -John Hi, If they are truly blank then check the plot empty cells setting via. Select Data > Hidden and Empty cells. If the Cells in fact contain formula then use NA() instead of "". This will suppress the data marker but will not break the line. Alternatively use Autofilter to hide un...

Populate cells with a unit price
For business purposes. I would like to put an item or model # in one cell and have the price for this particular item automatically populate the cell to it's right. because each sale could be different I want to the form to populate the unit price for any item that I input in a particular cell Hope this makes sense Thanks Hi Luka You need to take a look at the VLOOKUP function. You will find an easy explanation at Debra Dalgleish's site http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html -- Regards Roger Govier "luka" <luka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Changing cell values through form
Hi... I'm not that good with access so I decided to look for help here. I have a table filled with drivers. Starting number, Driver name, and Number of laps are the columns. My Idea is to make a form that will list all the drivers, and add a value of +1 into the "Number of laps" cell to that driver when double clicked. That would be a sort of Lap counter form... Every suggestion is welcome. -- ::: www.ktvj-online.com - Motocros Portal ::: ::: www.forum.ktvj-online.com - Forum ::: ...

2nd try, parameter values
I'm having problems posting... sorry if this comes up twice. I have parameter values set to make things easier for the users... The prompt pulls Last Name or Emp #. If the Emp# is not available, is there a way to search by last name, including suffixes, but only entering the last name? or even just the first letter of the last name? On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:31:24 -0700, melinda.pluma@agedwards.com wrote: >I'm having problems posting... sorry if this comes up twice. > >I have parameter values set to make things easier for the users... > >The prompt pulls Last Name or...

Embedding Word table in Excel cell
Is there any way in which I can embed a small MS Word table in an Excel cell? Thanks. -- Larry Lester Copy / paste as a picture. Pictures can always be re-sized and re-positioned -- Gary's Student "Larry Lester" wrote: > Is there any way in which I can embed a small MS Word table in an Excel cell? > Thanks. > -- > Larry Lester Gary's reply works for pasting the table in as a graphic object _on_ an XL sheet, but you cannot paste a graphic into a cell as cell content. If you simply Paste to a cell, the corresponding number of cells will be filled with th...

Need to format text in header, but value is generated using VBA
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6360C.2372C770 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I wanted to reference a cell value in my spreadsheet header and found = out how to do that using this function: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim WS As Worksheet For Each WS In Worksheets ActiveSheet.PageSetup.RightHeader =3D _ Format(Worksheets("Time Period Info").Range("B3").Value) =20 Next WS End Sub However, this leaves my text for ...

Need text in upper left corner of a cell
Hi Is it possible to have some text written in upper corner of a cell? I use Excel as a fill-in userform. I can justify the size of other columns, but it would be nice to write something into the cell, so the user understand what to fill inn. Any workarounds or other suggestions? Any help is appreciated. Gunnar Hi maybe you can use the comment functionality (goto 'Insert - Comment') to add some hints for the user -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Gunnar wrote: > Hi > > Is it possible to have some text written in upper corner > of a cell? > I use Excel a...

Changing bar graph colours according to value
Is there any way to have the colours of the bars in a bar graph change according to value? Hi, Have a look at Jon's example. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy nikki8327 wrote: > Is there any way to have the colours of the bars in a bar graph change > according to value? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

click on checkbox copy to active cell
Is there any way to click on a checkbox beside a row of information and copy that row of data to an active cell? Maybe. If your active cell is in column A, you can copy that whole row to the activecell's row. If you use a checkbox from the forms toolbar, you can add as many as you want to the worksheet. But assign each of them the same common macro: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myCBX As CheckBox Dim myCopyObjectsWithCells As Boolean Set myCBX = ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes(Application.Caller) If myCBX.Value = xlOn Then If myCBX.TopLeftCell.Row = Ac...

how do I display cell contents when I am over 32, 767 characters?
Excel was not designed for this. Depending on your purpose, you should use Word or Access. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "usdrmd" <usdrmd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E30267BD-2CAF-4FC7-83A2-F9E79F7CFE06@microsoft.com... > ...

Getting info from the last used cell
Currently I am adding many sheets together. I am using "Start Sheet" and "End Sheet" and everything in between those two sheets is adding for a total. I would (in a few cells) to just get the data from the last cell used. Example: The sheets I am adding are dates and if sheet 01-19-09 (dd-mm-yy) has the last entry in cell c18 I would like that number. However there may be blank cell before that sheet. and after that sheet there will be info in other cells. I would like that info to go into c18 of the sheet I use and named "Totals". -- Ed Davis ...

Excel Cell Data Limit
I am creating an ASP.NET page to dump data to an excel file. This works fine, but when I open the excel file I get an error that says 'the cell data is too large'. I heard from somebody that excel cells can hold up to 32,000 character, but can only display 1,024 characters in the formula bar. What restrictions does this impose on the data that cannot be displayed? If I do a keyword search, is that data still going to get searched? Thanks in advance, Ryan hil from excel help. Type specifications. 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula...

How can I set up the random selection of a cell from within a ran.
I want Excel to randomly select one cell from a range of cells, but is it possible? This would be the equivalent of drawing one slip of paper from several hundred. An uncomplicated way to do this is to simply add a column filled with the RAND() function next to your column of choices. Select both columns, and sort on the Rand() column. Pick the one at the top, or bottom, as your random selection. A little more complicated procedure would be to use a formula, referring to this combination of Rand() and your list, and let this formula randomly pick an item. Place your list in an "out o...

saving with name from cell #3
That one works perfectly!! Thanks again! Dank u de veer!! Ja -- jama ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jamaz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1663 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31504 You are welcome -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "jamaz" <jamaz.1fxv5b@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jamaz.1fxv5b@excelforum-nospam.com... > > That one works perfectly!! > > Thanks again! > > Dank u de veer!! > >...

cell reference #2
I have a list of numbers in column A. I wish at the bottom to return the maximum value in column A using =max(a1:a100) but i also want the cell reference of this value. how can i do this. thanks Use the MATCH function - it will give you the relative position of the maximum value in your range, and as this begins at A1 then this is the same as the row. If you have two maximum values, however, it will only report the first occurrence. Hope this helps. Pete lees news wrote: > I have a list of numbers in column A. I wish at the bottom to return the > maximum value in column A using =m...

Sum every other cell? #2
I just previewed the post below and saw that the format didn't hold. don't know how to make it look right. I hope you can figure it out fro what you see. Sample rows: Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Category #Books $$$ #Books $$$ #Books $$$ 1 4 16.00 0 0.00 7 29.95 2 3 17.50 3 17.50 3 17.50 3 0 0.00 6 24....

Query about Last Cell reference.
I have 12 sheets, which holds monthly information. Data exists in Column A through K, row 1 down to row 500. I have a formula in cell AZ1 (done to ensure no one can find it and subsequently delete it). When I depress CTRL+END it takes me to AZ500 (as expected). The question I have is that as all my data is going to be in Columns A through K and rows 1 to 500, if I reset the Last Cell to say K500 would it achieve faster saves to a LAN?. Please note that the value from AZ1 is used in column G1 – G500. All views greatly appreciated. First, you can olnly "reset" the last cell ...

search and return cell value
I hope that someone may be able to help. I have a worksheet that has 7 fixed columns and a variable number of rows. The rows can range from 1 to many. Cell A1 is dependent upon the value in the last row in column G. I can locate this with nested "if" statements or by creating a new column H that will test to see if the next row contains values. Is there any function that I can put in cell A1 that will locate the last row in column G that contains a value and return the value of this cell? Many Thanks Hi if you have no blank rows in between try =OFFSET($G$1,COUNTA(G:G)-1,0) -- Reg...

counting cells with conditional formatting applied
I am looking for a way/formula that will count the number of times a cell with conditional formatting has occured. I have a column of cells that is compared to another column of cells and if one condition is met (<), the cell's color is set to Red or if another condition is met (>) the cell's color is set to Green. I am wanting to add a column that gives me the total number of Red cell's in that column. Thanks! Look on Chip's site at www.cpearson.com best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "HalB" <HalB@disc...

Highlight a line in a CListCtrl
I want to highlight a line in a CListCtrl via the code and cant find a member function to do this. Anyone know? >I want to highlight a line in a CListCtrl via the code and cant find a member >function to do this. Chris, By highlight, do you just mean the normal selection state? If so, just use SetItemState with LVIS_SELECTED. Dave and you may require to set this list view extended style to highlight items and subitems (full line) through SetExtendedStyle LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT "David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invalid> wrote in message news:9gp913dspm6mprunai829je...

number of cells
Hi there; 1-What is the equation to find the number of cells in a range which their values are more than 0.0? 2- How to count the number of cells in range which for every 3 consqueative cells are non 0.0, I mean if cells 1, 2, and 3 are more than 0.0, then count = 1 then next 3 cells, ... and if one 3 consequative cells have (even one cell) a 0.0 value then that 3 cells donot add to our count number? Appreciate any help. Best Darius Is this a homework assingment. look in help index for COUNTIF -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Darius" <Darius@discussion...

Add "/" when the cell is empty
Can I use conditional formating to make a cell crossed by a line when it is empty. �@ Thanks for your help. Eling begin 666 clip_image001.gif M1TE&.#EA20`7`'<!,2'^&E-O9G1W87)E.B!-:6-R;W-O9G0@3V9F:6-E`"'Y M! $```$`+ $``0!'`!4`@ ```(&!@0)$C(^IR^U_`("TVB?EW9SF#H9(-HDF M]YUJ1:XNIKVRTLZVD=YSK<MY[^(!5[_A26@T%9,A)!.T?**BT@NURKIB/:6M $J0``.P`` ` end The diagonal border isn't one of the CF choices. You could use VBA, though. Put this in the worksheet code module (right-click on the worksheet tab and choose View Code): Private Sub ...