Highlighting A Cell

Does anyone know how to do a formula that says if a cell equals the wor
FALSE then highlight this particular cell gray?

Example:

Typing in Cell A2
IF A1 = FALSE then gray otherwise white

I tried to do it in Conditioning Formatting but can't figure it out t
reference another cell.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

--
Coltsfa
Coltsfan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1998

Good evening Coltsfan

You're right in trying to use conditional formatting, the formula yo
would need to use in cell A2 is thus:

=A$1$=FALSE

Remember to set the drop down box to formula is.  In this instance yo
do not put quotes around the word false, as this is a recognised Exce
flag, if you were using a different word (eg FALSE1) you would need t
enclose the keyword in quotes.

HTH

Dominic

--
dominic
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1893

too many different formatting cells
I can't open an excel document because whem I try to open it says that too many different formatting cells. How to resolve this and open this document? Maybe... XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 A few people have said that OpenOffice.Org has been able to open the file. Then they clean it up and save it there. Then excel can open that cleaned up version. http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD jo wrote: > > I can't open an excel document because whem I try to open it says that too >...

Use cell value as cell address
Hello everyone. I have a worksheet "Main" of 39,000 rows in which column B contains a number between 1 and 7,500. Column C is an empty column I have added. The second sheet, "Names" in the book contains a single column - A - of 7,500 names. I want to get the value from the second sheet that matches the number column of the first sheet. In other words, if "Main" cell B3 contains 3780, I want to put the value from "Names" cell A3780 into "Main" C3. How do I do this please? Richard --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi tr...

Compare and Highlight Rows
I have an excel file with two worksheets. is there a way to programatically compare the two worksheets to find matches and highlight those matches on each worksheet. They both have the same columns. I want to compare the InspectionID column. The Inspection ID column may have duplicates in both of the worksheets. I have never done anything in excel above the beginner level. However, I am a very skilled VBA programmer (programmed in ACCESS for over 10 years). Thank you You may find it easier to use Conditional formatting instead: For instance, with Sheet1 column A selected, and cel...

Formulas showing in cell???
I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit i (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. How can I make the formula go awaw and simply show the results whic when edited the results shows correctly? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi probably the cell is formated as 'Text' change the cell format to 'General' and re-enter your formula -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit it > (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. >...

How to get total "conditional sum of cells" in a column?
Hi all, I have dollar amounts in one col, and status in another. I want the sum of those dollar amounts where the corresponding status cell is empty (blank). How do I do this? Thanks for any hints, cdj Status in Column A and dollar amounts in Column B: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="")*B2:B100) -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "sherifffruitfly" <sherifffruitfly@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bc08584b-1338-4b3f-8ab3-cc3e1602e581@n1g2000prb.go...

How to only "paste values" of cells that are not "hidden"?
Hello, In my document, many columns are hidden. Say column B is hidden, and I need to copy columns A and C and paste values into another Excel document. How can I do that? When I select columns A and C, copy and paste values, the other document contains columns A,B and C, instead of just columns A and C. Thank you! Don't drag-select, control-click A and then C, for scattered-selection. Danny On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:33:01 -0700, Sam <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > In my document, many columns are hidden. Say column B is hidden, &g...

how do i copy a formula when cell references r not together
in cell reference H5 i have a formula H4*H3, I have copied this formula through to DG5. In cell reference H7 I have a formula H6*H3 which i have also copied through to DG7.I have formulas right down to cell reference H299 (H298*H3) Is there a quick way to repeat the copy bearing in mind the cell references are not together ie H5, H7, H9 and so on. Jon, Copy cells H6:H7, then select H6:H299 and pastespecial formulas. Just make sure your formula is =H6*$H$3 HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "jon104" <jon104@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDAB488A-5CDA-47A2-AD...

Scrolling through cells
I'm having trouble scrolling through the cells using the arrows. When I was typing in a cell I used to be able to press one of the arrow keys and it would automatically go to the next cell. Now when I press the arrow key is sticks the next cell in as part of a formula. I'm not sure what's happened to change this. Can anyone help???? thanks :) You are probably in Extend mode. This happens when you press F8. It shows "EXT" in the Status bar (to the right) Press F8 again to deactivate this. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "alice" &l...

How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula
If cell A1 had the text TEST in it and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the cells in the group called TEST. I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously Any help appreciated Thank you In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g., =SUM(INDIRECT(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kiwi" &...

Overwriting a cell with a formula without deleting the formula
Hello. I am creating an Expense Report worksheet and have created a simple formula that will calculate mileage based on total miles. Below is my worksheet data. A B C D 1 Expense Type Acct. Code Total Miles Amount 2 Airfare 11111 $250.00 3 Mileage 22222 20 $10.00 I am trying to figure out a way to create a conditional formula so that IF Expense...

Highlight changes within cell
Good morning! Using Excel 2003 I need to highlight the changes I’m making within a cell. For example: In cell B2, is the customer’s original order quantity of 200. I revise it to show 225 and I’d like the cell to be highlighted in yellow. I can then copy and paste the info into an email to show the customer which items have been revised. I’ve tried using Track Changes, but it seems that I have to click on the Track Changes button each time I open the workbook. It also doesn’t keep the revision highlighted for a copy and paste. I have 20+ worksheets within the workbook an...

deleting duplicate cells
I am back again... Thanks to everyone's help here last time, I was able to finish all my work and do it correctly. Ken- I asked last time i was here about deleting duplicate cells. Some of the names(address, etc) are repeated in my sheet. I want to delete the extra cell of the people who are in here twice. Not jus the cell but their record, name, address, city, state zip when they are in their twice so that they will only be listed once. You told me how to do this once but i cant find where it is on the board. Thanks for all the help.... BR4 -----------------------------------------...

Bug? Multiple values in merged cells
I found that merged cells can contain multiple values. Steps to reproduce: Type 1,2,3,4 in a1:d1 type sum(a1:d1) in e1 Select a1:b1 and merge Warning : MultipleData, overwrite? Say yes to merge Select the merged a1:b1 cells Copy Select c1 PasteSpecial Formats No warning.. no overwrite. c1:d1 are now merged BUT d1 still contains a value... and the SUM of a1:d1 = 8 !! Also happens with FormatPainter etc Behaviour observed in xl97,xlXP and xl2003 Error checking will find no fault in the sheet... and you can spend ages to find out WHY your cross sums dont match! (although now that i fou...

Find Blank Cells
I wish to replace the blank cells in a large database with a zero (0). I cannot figure out how to find a blank cell using the Find and Replace option under the Edit menu. Can anyone show me the way? Hi Peter, I always use CTRL+H to bring up the find and replace menu, leave the fine part empty, and put in what you want to replace it with....however, I do notice you say in a "database"? Do you mean in Access?? Dave M. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Exc...

COLOUR CHANGE IS A CELL
Cyber taz What I am trying to do is use say a red coulured cell but when text is added to the cell it changes colour to green. The other thing if possible a drop down menu in a cell so when clicked on it offers three of four selection For example today tomorow yesterday day after And once one wes highlighted it would show in the cell. Thankls for your help it is really apprereciated. You can use data validation to create a dropdown list in a cell. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Mav wrote: > Cyber taz > What I am...

conditional formating: ifs and highlighting rows
my spreadsheet documents error incidents, with each row showing the date the incident was discovered (column A) and the date it was resolved (column I). it also calculates networkdays (column J) -- unless column I=0 -- and references an array of holiday dates on another sheet. i would like to create a conditional format that will identify rows with an incident, but no resolution date, then highlight the row and possibly even show "unresolved" in column J cell of that row. Thanks! Well, you have to decide which way you want to go with this. If you leave column J ...

CSV file with 13space characters in blank cells
In my office we've just received a recurring report which has been modified (by someone. Previously (a CSV file) the Data area (say A1:M30 ) had numbers or blank cells representing 0 (zero) values. Now, however the blank cells ARE NOT BLANK (although they appear blank) all cells without numbers have 13 hard-space values in them, which is causing #VALUE! problems; I temporarily added an intermediate sheet with formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MySheet!B2)),MySheet!B2,0) to eliminate the #Value! problem; Is there a better way? I'm sure there is, just not certain at this point in time. Any ...

Hidden Cells #2
I have user who has a spreadsheet and the cells on colum A appear to be empty. However when you click on a cell, the information appears above in the field where you can change text. That field has a lower case fx in front of it. Anyhow I think the user clicked a setting the hides the information in the cell. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Hi Anthony Maybe the font is set to white -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91D96835-23ED-4985-BE65-45187475EE03@microsoft.com... > I ha...

Cant see highlighting unless I go into print preview
When i open an excel file I can not see the highlights on any documents unless you go into print preview. I have been looking for a way to show the highliting for a while now. I have compared the settings to another machine that shows the highlights normally and found no difference. I have also reinstalled it and the problem reoccures. The same document can be opened by others and they see the highlights, and it doesnt matter what document it is. This occurs on all documents. trapped Assuming "highlights" means colored cells.......... If this is a problem with all Excel file...

How can I write in a text in a cell using numbers and the letters.
I'm trying to get some codes in for example 511E09 is one fo them but when I try to enter another code it makes the code a formula and it changes to 5.11E+09 why is that? I tried changing it by formatting cells to text, but that doesn't change it. Waht can I do? Clear the data, change it to text, and then enter it. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C474C50-E47D-43EB-A4F0-B4D21141E39F@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to get some codes in for example 511E09 i...

How do I format a cell to display measurement units with symbols . #2
How do I format a cell to display measurement units with symbols in Excel 2000? (ie. " for inch, etc.) Thanks, Mandy One way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom 0\" In article <D7589B6A-8E82-437E-B4D5-BAF36BE237E1@microsoft.com>, "Mandy" <Mandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I format a cell to display measurement units with symbols in Excel > 2000? > (ie. " for inch, etc.) > > Thanks, > > Mandy This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C53500.B38D6F30 Content-Type: text/plain; charse...

how do I turn off highlighter ?
I'm new to One Note and i don't know how to turn off highlighter when I'm done using it, please help. Sonjia wrote: > I'm new to One Note and i don't know how to turn off highlighter when > I'm done using it, please help. I assume you are talking about the highlighter pen (not highlighting marked text). If so: (a) Click on the pen icon again, or (b) click on the icon for typing ("A" with the susor). Rainald ...

How do I count the number of cells
I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data. All the columns are labled Odd or Even In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that that coulmn has data in it The last row belows shows what the answer should be Total Total Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd 5 1 2 ????? ????? 1 7 6 3 ????? ????? 5 1 2 ????? ????? 1 2 9 3 1 3 PLease help =COUNTA() - will count the number of non blank cells. In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2). Please hit Yes if my comments have helped. Thanks. &...

Automatic resizing of cell
I use Excel for my job. When I enter a long text sentence into a cell that is larger than the cell, it gets covered up because the text wrapping is on. I want the sentence to wrap around to the next line, but Excel doesn't automatically adjust the size of the cell when it sees that the text is longer. I end up printing out my work and only half of the sentence is there. I can resize it myself, but I want Excel to resize it when it sees that it's covering it. I can't see why anyone would actually WANT Excel to cover it up. Which version of Excel are you using. I'm u...