Highlighted Cell

Hi all

If I highlight A1 is there a way to have the cell fill colour yellow, So I
can see where I am better, when I move to say A8 etc. A1 go's back to its
normal colour and the new cell is yellow.

Thanks in advance

Dave

0
tuco (7)

See if this helps:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm
--
HTH,

RD

"Dave" <tuco@tuco.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> If I highlight A1 is there a way to have the cell fill colour yellow, So I
> can see where I am better, when I move to say A8 etc. A1 go's back to its
> normal colour and the new cell is yellow.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Highlighted cell
I have a highlighted cell that gets bigger and smaller as I move the mouse and I can't get rid of it. It has the flashing edges like I copied it. What's going on? Thank you! Sounds like you're accidentally in extended mode (but there's no flashing edges) Hit F8 to toggle it off -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:20,000 Files:362 Subscribers:62 xdemechanik --- "Reen" wrote: > I have a highlighted cell that gets bigger and smaller as I move the mouse > and I can't get rid of it. It has the flashing edges like I copied it...

Worksheet Cell Reference
I have a reference to a cell in another worksheet, same workbook. When the value in the referenced cell is blank it returns a "0" value. However, I want the returned value to simply leave as a blank cell. Any advice? David Hi David Something like this : =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) HTH John "DavidS" <DavidS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71737C7E-5095-4E27-A70C-82CE3845C368@microsoft.com... >I have a reference to a cell in another worksheet, same workbook. When the > value in the referenced cell is blank it...

How do I perfom a character count in a single cell in Excel?
I need to peform a character count for certain cells in Excel. I found a formula for counting words within a cell but not the number of specific characters. If you count spaces as a character, you can use directly the function LEN. If you don't want the spaces to count, use something like: =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")) Hope this helps, Miguel. "RonNette72791" wrote: > I need to peform a character count for certain cells in Excel. I found a > formula for counting words within a cell but not the number of specific > characters. ...

Format cell will not appear
Hello, I have a budget spreadsheet in E2k that I need to update. I can change al the numbers and formlas but if I select Format Cells the dialog box will not appear. I cannot find a single cell anyware in that workbook that works. The budget sheet has some grey area to the righ. I tweaked it last year and I can't remember what I did. Please help Tim Tim, Maybe the sheet is protected. Tools, Protection. If you see Unprotect sheet" it was. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Tim Marciniak" <t...

Calculating specifc byte positions in cells
Hi, Here is what I am trying to do: I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of employees vacation and sick time. The spreadsheet is formatted to column A is the employee name, columns B - AB are days of the month. I would like to have the manager be able to enter in the time off as either S8 or V8 (8 representing the number of hours off the employee had S = sick V = vacation). I would like Column AC to then calcuate the total sick hours and AD to calcuate the total of vacation hours. I played around with a few formulas but could not figure out a way to do it. Is there a way to have this d...

Clear content cells with external link
I have a workbook with a lot of external links. What I'd like to do is to create a simple VBA code to find cells with external link, and then clear content them. Does anyone know how to do this ? Thanks Hey Diego, You have 5 posts to 2 different NG's asking this same question. Have some patience and please do not double, or quintuple, post. tim "diego" <porno_abis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06c201c3561c$7e0adce0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > I have a workbook with a lot of external links. What I'd > like to do is to create a simple VBA code to fi...

Highlight the cell/row if particular name comes..
Hi, This is what I would like to achieve, There will be sheet full of address details and in that I want to highlight the cells with some colour if the particular list(i.e.list of 10 particular area names like Area1,Area2....Area10) of area names present along with the door # and Street name. The challenge is that the area names will be mixed with street name ect., in the same cell. I can guess that this is possible with macro but my knowledge in that is ZERO.. Pls help on this... Can you give us some examples of what your data looks like, and details of what columns you...

Plot empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps)
Under Tools/Options/Chart Menu I have set the "Plot empty cells as: Not plotted (leave gaps)as well as Plot visible cells only, however the chart still plots null values causing the automatic scaling to be impractical If you're using a formula that returns an empty string for missing values, change it to an NA()function. For example: instead of =IF(B9="","",B9) use =IF(B9="",NA(),B9) To hide the resulting #N/A errors on the worksheet, you can use conditional formatting. There are instructions on my web site: http://www.contextures.c...

EMPTY CELLS!!! Validation Rule!!!
How do I set up a cell to be 0.0 (zero) if there is no data available??? I know is on the Validation Rule, but I don't know the formula. I can't add the values of other cells becasue there are a few empty ones. PLEASEEE HELP!! Thanks It sounds as if setting the Default Value to 0 will accomplish what you need. For existing records you will need to do something such as run an update query to replace null with 0. You may be able to use the control's Exit event to add the value, depending on just what you need to do. I don't think you can use table-level validation to add...

Finding Cell with Minor loss of fidelity
I have a Excel Spreadsheet that was created in Excel 2003, but updated with Excel 2007. Whenever I save it, it runs the Compatibility Checker, and comes back with a 'Minor loss of fidelity' message. I would like to find the cell(s) that thie issue talking about. Is there a way to find which cell(s) have the issue, so I can fix them? -- Doug Krohn Hi, when saving the spreadsheet Save it as xlsm "Doug Krohn" wrote: > I have a Excel Spreadsheet that was created in Excel 2003, but updated with > Excel 2007. > Whenever I save it, it runs the Compati...

Cell Drag & Drop without Incrementing
Hi, Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1 contains TR321 I want to be able to drag it down to fill cells a2:a10 without any change, ie A10 is also TR321. Cheers, thanks for your help. Paul Hi Paul use an absolute reference. change the cell reference TR321 to $T$321 also have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Paul wrote: > Hi, > > Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell > without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1 > co...

Shade half a Cell
Hi Is it possible to shade half of a Cell? I have merged to cells togethe and now i am wanting to shade half of the Cell, BUT, i am wanting, i possible, to shade the Cell on an angel (for example - shade from top left to bottom right and have half gre and half white) Is this possibl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi sparky........... You can't shade half a cell any way with the normal background coloration technique. You can however, for special cases, create a drawing object of the shape you want and color it and place it in a cell..........it would look similar....

Calling on cells with red fonts
Can someone please guide me how to show only those cells in red fonts i column. I just want to see the red fonts not those in black fo calculation. Thanks a lot. 74 89 25 93 21 32 2 -- celesta ----------------------------------------------------------------------- celestar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3626 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56777 Chip Pearson shows how to work with font colors here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm celestar wrote: > > Can someone please guide me how to show...

How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell?
How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell? Format | Cells... | Font | Effects = strikethrough Regards Trevor "dgalati" <dgalati@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4364AE43-F016-45B3-A6ED-160A405B3291@microsoft.com... > How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell? ...

Filter rows containing cells with values within a range (for example <11 or >10 but <21)
Column B consists of Brand names (each brand has numerous products) Column C consists of Product names (over 500 products) Coumns D to CG (row 1) consist of months going back a few years. The data from D2:CG539 consists of the rank of each brand for each month. I would like to filter my rows so that I can view only the products that have ever ranked in the top 10. I already have a couple of formulas that allow me to filter my data. Example 1: If I want to know the highest rank ever achieved by a product I use this formula: =MIN(D2:CG2) and then drag it down. Now I can use autofilter and see w...

How can I highlight major occurences in an array?
I have a spreadsheet which is an all X all matrix/array that shows where all occurrences of certain criteria do and don't occur. Some of the occurrences are more significant than others and these are shown in a separate 2 column table that could be made into a smaller some X some array. How can I overlay the small array over the large array and highlight the duplicates? Ideally I would like to use conditional formatting or similar such that the major occurrences were Green, minor occurrences Amber and no occurrences Red. I have created the matrix from a pivot table in MS Access, ...

Add comma after last " in a cell
Ultimately, I want to do a text to columns method but 1st I need to make the data work properly. I have close to 9000 items of vary degrees of numbers and text. I want a formula that will insert a comma after the last " or ' in a cell, reading from left. 3/4" x 1/2" pvc pipe 1/2" x 1/2" x 6' black pipe 1' insulated filter This way when i do the text to columns, i can separate the by commas. The purpose is to separate the sizes and the descriptions. Put these two macros in a standard code module, select the cells you want to process the...

Substracting numbers in non contigous cells
Hi! I need a formula to substract numbers in non contigous cells THAT ARE IN ONE COLUMN and have the result in other cell, for example: ..=2E.....................A...................B R1..................................BLANKCELL R2..................................BLANKCELL R3..................................15 R4..................................BLANKCELL R5..................................BLANKCELL R6..................60.............75 R8..................................BLANKCELL R9..................................BLANKCELL R10................................BLANKCELL R11...............

Determining How An Existing Cell Is Formatted ?
ello, Is it possible to see how a particular is formatted for ? I did a little experimenting, and it seems that if I put in text, or numbers, and go to Format Cell, it "seems" to indicate the Format is General, for both. Is there some command that would return an inquiry to a text cell as it truly being "Text" ? And, I understand that text when entered shows up to the left of the cell, numbers to the right. If I change the left-right position with the Alignment buttons, does this change the actual Format of the cell ? Thanks, Bob See help on Information Function...

Auto highlighting of Citations
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) How do I turn off the auto highlghting of citations (all my citations are highlighted grey for some reason). I understand this doesn't show up in print preview but is there any way I can turn this off, it is annoying. <br> thanks Take a trip into Word> Preferences> View where you can set the Field Shading to display 'Always', 'Never', or 'When Selected'. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 5/7/10 6:47 PM, in article 59bb8261.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "dannymiro@o...

Clear Cell Format
Some time ago, from a post by JE McGimpsey, I learned the following macro, which will toggle the substitution of "." with ":" However it left the cell in Time Format after its initial entry. How do I clear the Time Format, when decimal point is back to normal state. Please, Public Sub ToggleDotTime() Dim strmsg As String strmsg = "Decimal Point is NORMAL" With Application.AutoCorrect On Error Resume Next .DeleteReplacement (".") If Err Then .AddReplacement ".", &...

Word Cells into Excel Cells #2
How does one import a cell formatted Word file *.doc into cells within Excel *.xls. By "cell formatted Word file", do you mean a table? I would simply select table and click copy. Then open excel and paste it where you want it to appear. J "gary" wrote: > How does one import a cell formatted Word file *.doc into > cells within Excel *.xls. > > > jayceejay Wrote: > By "cell formatted Word file", do you mean a table? I would simpl > select > table and click copy. Then open excel and paste it where you want i > to > ap...

User-inserted external file path used to pull cell values
I have an organization that wants each vendor to fill out and submit a net present value worksheet as part of the RFP process. Call it the NPV workbook. The organization wants to then pull data from each of those worksheets into a summary worksheet. I would like for the organization to be able to input the file path for each NPV workbook. Then the summary cells would use the file path to pull the data. What I have been trying so far isn't working: 1) Organization creates a hyperlink to each NPV workbook; example: Cell B8 contains the hyperlinked string: F:\Emergent\Projects\03109 GSA ...

How to limit number of characters in the cell
Hello guys, I want to ask you for a small advice. What should I do If I want to limit the number of characters/numbers i the cell. For instance: I have column named "phone numbers" and I want to inser only numbers which consist of 6 numerals (it means that max cell valu is999.999) Many thanks and best regard -- Toma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Toman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3139 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51096 Hello Toman, Have a look at ...

MERGING CELLS WITHIN XL
EXCEL, IT'S THE FORMATTING THAT I AM STUCK ON. THE COLUMN IS LIKE THIS: 111 11TH PLACE NORTH CELL A3 BIRMINGHAM, AL 11111 CELL A4 1256 11TH PLACE S CELL A5 BIRMINGHAM, AL 12345 CELL A6 4589 11TH PLACE NORTH CELL A7 BIRMINGHAM, AL 54321 CELL A8 NOW WHEN I MERGE MY CELLS, MY LABELS TURN OUT WITH JUST THE STREET ADDRESS ON ONE LABEL AND THEN THE CITY AND STATE ARE ON THE NEXT LABEL. HOW DO I MERGE CELLS A3 AND A4(FOR EXAMPLE). You'll want to put all the data for each label on one row. (I...