Highlighted Cell group provides a Count instead of a Sum in bottom right

Sometimes when I download a file into excel it doesn't allow me to ad
the group.  Additionally, when highlighting the group when it i
supposed to give a SUM in the bottom right (off the worksheet), i
shows a count.  I've verified the cells are formatted as numbers.  I
for instance I overwrite the existing amount with the same number i
becomes addable.  I would like to be able to toggle between these tw
abilities.  Thanks.

MACR

Hi
the numbers are probably stroed as 'Text'. Try the following:
- select an empty cell and copy this cell
- select your range of importet numbers
- goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Add'

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"MACRE0 >" <<MACRE0.1bv9np@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:MACRE0.1bv9np@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Sometimes when I download a file into excel it doesn't allow me to
add
> the group.  Additionally, when highlighting the group when it is
> supposed to give a SUM in the bottom right (off the worksheet), it
> shows a count.  I've verified the cells are formatted as numbers.  If
> for instance I overwrite the existing amount with the same number it
> becomes addable.  I would like to be able to toggle between these two
> abilities.  Thanks.
>
> MACRE
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
8/31/2004 7:04:15 PM
No, as I've already stated, these are formated as numbers.  Additionall
if cells A1 and A2 were formated as text but contained the character
"1" and "2" respectively they would still be added when highlighte
instead of counted.

Wonder if there is a way to show that dispite my post being replied to
that my question was not answered without having to repost anew

Your question was answered.

Once a "number" is entered as text, changing the number format doesn't
convert it to a number - it stays text.

Did you try the suggested solution?

Did you really try entering "1" and "2" in A1:A2 and getting a Sum in
the status bar?  For me, I get SUM=0

In article <MACRE0.1cmvqj@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 MACRE0 <<MACRE0.1cmvqj@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

> No, as I've already stated, these are formated as numbers.  Additionally
> if cells A1 and A2 were formated as text but contained the characters
> "1" and "2" respectively they would still be added when highlighted
> instead of counted.
>
> Wonder if there is a way to show that dispite my post being replied to,
> that my question was not answered without having to repost anew.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/15/2004 5:03:17 PM
You're partially correct.

While I did try entering the characters 1 and 2 I entered them in a ne
spreadsheet formatted as general, which I then changed to text.  Tha
one adds.  If I first make it text and then highlight it doesn't but
was still able to take those two cell and paste special add them an
have it become numbers.  I am not able to do that with some of th
other spreadsheets that are created.  Secondly the aspect of togglin
between these two views was not answered.  Thanks for your added inpu
however

See the TrimALL macro, the descriptive material and the material
in the topic above that (#debugformat)

One  point that might not be obvious is that the items on the status bar
require more than one cell to be selected, might make a difference to
you when checking out solutions.
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/statusbar.htm
---
HTH,

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message ...
> Your question was answered.
>
> Once a "number" is entered as text, changing the number format doesn't
> convert it to a number - it stays text.
>
> Did you try the suggested solution?
>
> Did you really try entering "1" and "2" in A1:A2 and getting a Sum in
> the status bar?  For me, I get SUM=0
>

> In article <MACRE0.1cmvqj@excelforum-nospam.com>,
>  MACRE0 <<MACRE0.1cmvqj@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:
>
> > No, as I've already stated, these are formated as numbers.  Additionally
> > if cells A1 and A2 were formated as text but contained the characters
> > "1" and "2" respectively they would still be added when highlighted
> > instead of counted.
> >
> > Wonder if there is a way to show that dispite my post being replied to,
> > that my question was not answered without having to repost anew.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
9/15/2004 5:36:18 PM
I'll give it a try David when I have more time, but from what I briefl
saw in your link has much to do with removing spaces - something I di
not know was at issue here.  I will dig deeper of course.  Thank

Script to count mailboxes.
Hi All, I have a need for a script that will list all the mailboxes from all of the Exchange servers (we have 20 in the same organisation) and there size in excel spreadsheet. Do you know where I could get one from. Thanks. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320071 -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Leon" <Lion@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23Gsg5ZlDHHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > I have a need for a script that will list all the m...

Count of Weekdays Between Two Dates
Task: With a given start date and end date, print a list of Months showing a count of weekdays and weekend days in each. It seemed like such a simple request... but how to get started? If I already had a table of all dates between the start and end dates, I'd have it whipped. Any thoughts appreciated. -- croy Here are some ideas you can use for this. First, you need to know how may days are in the month. Then you can use the function below to return the number of work days in the month. The subtract the work days from the number of days, and it will return the week end days. ...

See if cell is in Range
Thanks for taking the time to read my question. I'm passing a string that is a cell reference to a function. In that function I want to determine if that cell reference is within a predetermined range. Not sure how to do that. Right now I have: Function CheckRange(TheSheet As String, TheCell As Range) As Boolean If TheSheet = "Sheet1" Then if TheCell In Range("B4:B30") then 'This line is red as it is incorrect CheckRange = True End If What do I use instead of "In"? Thanks, Brad Brad Use something like: If In...

Editing in a cell
I am having a problem with a newly created workbook. When I go to a cell that has data in it and try to add more data to the existing string I lose all the previous information. The work sheet that I am working in is protected and I have "edit directly in cell" checked in the options section. It is almost like my double click (as well as F2) are being treated as a single click. Thank you I figured it out. For some reason "Hide" is selected for the unlocked cells. "John English" wrote: > I am having a problem with a newly created workbook. > > Wh...

How do I get a cell to remember the last entry and add to it?
I am using Excel 2000. I want my cell to remember the number in it and add an additional number each time I need to retotal. Jab Sounds like you want that cell to be an accumlator cell. Simple question with complex results. You can have a cumulative total in a cell if you have a separate source cell for adding a new total to the original. Use at your own risk. I am Posting this just to show you how it can be done, not as a good solution. You would be much better off to have another column so you can keep track of past entries. Goes like this: =IF(CELL("address")="$C$4&...

Money signs appear in my Cell and I don't want them there
Im trying to enter the numbers 2.9 in cell like AD and it turns it into $2.90. That is not what I need, how do I stop that? Format as General instead of currency -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsolutions.com "kate" <kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9EEA936-437C-486F-A2D3-2385EF6BD2D0@microsoft.com... > Im trying to enter the numbers 2.9 in cell like AD and it turns it into > $2.90. That is not what I need, how do I stop that? ...

BUG -- SUM after importing data
Hi, I've been trying to find some info on this bug but so far nothing has worked. I have copied a table from the web and am now trying to do so simple SUM functions. But it's not working. I have tried to import the data after exporting them (in case HTML is an issue), but nothing. I have tried some copy and paste special but didn't work. So please help. I have Excel 2000 on XP. Email me at oliviermoratin@yahoo.com Thanks again Hi try the following: - copy an empty cell - select your imported data - goto 'edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Add' "Olivier"...

SELF Group vs. User permission to Mailbox
Came in this morning to a helpdesk call indicating that the user was getting the following message when trying to open their Outlook 2007 client: "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Microsoft Exchange is not available. Either there are network problems or the Exchange computer is down for maintenance." In my Exchange server Application Log I see several instances of the following related to the affected user's mailbox: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9646 Date: 11/27/2009 Time: 7:07:14 AM User: N/A ...

Excel opens two worksheets instead of one
I have Office 2007 and recently upgraded to Windows 7. When I open an existing document in Excel, sometimes (about 50% of the time) it opens a second blank worksheet along with it. Word does this also. Is there a way to fix this? -- Thank you ...

looking for range of text in a single cell
I just started a new job and my company already had a file with abou 16,000 records in it (called Products). This file contains all of th parts numbers that they carry. In this file there is one column calle "description". This cell contains the dimensions, color name and som other information such as if the piece is flat or rounded. I hav another file that has about 400 records and this file tells me "colo name" as well as the "type" of stone that it is (called Stone_Type). What I am trying to do is add a field to the Products file that wil say stone type. ...

To have a 'fixed cell' be equal to the last data entered cell in a column
Good Evening All, I have a worksheet, example below. I have frozen the panes to always show rows 1-3. I wish the cell A3 to be the same as the last 'non-blank' cell in Column A.(See explanation below). A B 1 2 Header Header 3__________________ 4 M1004 5 M1005 6 M1002 7 M1003 8 M1006 9 M1001 10 So in this case, at present, A3 would be M1001,(A9), but when I enter a new value in A10, (eg M1008), I would like A3 to automatically update to A10 ie M1008. I think that maybe INDIRECT or OFFSET maybe involved but am fairly unfamiliar with ...

How do I have a cell update itself only if it's currently blank?
I need to track to retain the first value of a date field. Each time I load the worksheet the date field has the potential to change, I need to keep track of the initial date in addition to the current date that is in the field. I have date columns called ASSIGNED and 1st ASSIGNED. The initial value of both will be blank. At some point the ASSIGNED will be populated with a date. When it is populated for the first time I want to save this value in the 1st ASSIGNED column. I need something like: IF ( ISBLANK(ASSIGNED), "", ASSIGNED ) in my 1st Assigned cell, however, I do not ...

Changing Font Colour if cell is certain word?
Can I make the font of a certain cell change it's font colour to Red if the word in the cell is, example, "Fail"? I want the change to apply from B2:F23. -- wuming79 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wuming79's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36037 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=560169 Use "Conditional Formatting". It's on the Format menu -- MartinShor Software Tester &amp; Musicia -----------------------------------------------------...

KEEPING COUNT
Don't know if this is possible but here goes: I'm trying to take inventory of products with a Bar code scanner which returns a numerical code in a cell once an item is scanned. When I scan a second item, a new code appears in the cell below and so on. eg. BAR CODE 1001 1025 1535 1001 1003 1025 1001 .... Problem is, I end up with a long list of products in my column, and MANY repeat themselves. Is there a formula or a code that could add up and generate the total number of identical codes to reduce the size of the column ? eg. BAR CODE QTY 1001 3 1025 ...

Can I link *.jpg files to Excel cells?
I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd like to connect more than one to a cell. Or to its row. That would work OK also. Can I do it? TIA LAS You can hyperlink a cell to an image stored elsewhere or to an image stored within the workbook. How you do it depends upon the purpose of the linking and the ultimate results you are looking for. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:26:13 -0400, "LAS" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote: >I would like to connect pictures to cells on a spreadsheet. Ideally, I'd >lik...

count text with * wildcard and date range
Hi, I would like to count the number of times a character string occurs in a URL in a certain date range. Say I'm looking for all the URLs that came from livejournal.com from the day of 2/15. A B Sarah.livejournal.com/123 2/15 georgeB.blogspot.com/George 2/15 happy.typepad.com/blah 2/15 male.livejournal.com/male 2/15 blogger/12345678 2/20 bobtheman.livejournal.com/#bob 2/20 I have tried the SUMPRODUCT function, but it doesn't seem to be able to deal with...

Right/Left margins for heater & footer
I'm trying to move the position of the right-most information in a footer but I cannot seem to find any way to do this. Page Set-up allows the header and footer to be moved up and down but not to change the left and right position. Is there any way to change this? Thanks K K The only option I can think of is to pad the header/footer out with spaces. It's not particularly accurate but it does the job! Andy. "K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1224c01c417ba$986ddff0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to move the position of the ...

Group Permissions on Public Folders
I have a mail enabled Global Security group assigned owner rights for client access to a public folder, but the users in this group can not access the resource. What am I missing? Also, are there any limitations on using groups in a hierarchy? ...

Adding random cells togethr
I want to be able to add y2,aa2,ac2,ae2,ag2,a12,ak2,am2,ao2,aq2,as2,au2,av2,ax2,az2 together and return the result in bb2 I am using =sum(y2,aa2,ac2,ae2,ag2,a12,ak2,am2,ao2,aq2,as2,au2,av2,ax2,az2) however I only see the actual formula returned in the cell not the result. I have been able to do this in the past. Can anyone help with this problem? -- Kaylean Hi Kaylean, Perhaps BB2 was formatted as text before you entered the formula. Select it and hit F2 and Enter. HTH Regards, Howard "Kaylean" <Kaylean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0DF3C2DC-8918-...

transparent background not working right
Hi I have a logo in CMYK colors, 300 dpi in tiff. format set for commercial printing. The problem I'm having is that i import it, then i go to the set transparent icon and the white background becomes transparent. The problem though is that even the white lettering becomes transparent. I've cut and pasted the logo it to a transparent background through photoshop but there is still a white background when I bring it in publisher. How can I make my logos background tranparent without making the letters transparent? -- Thanks a million! mJ wrote: > Hi I have a logo in CMY...

Rename a sheet tab when cell contents change
Hi all, I would like to rename a sheet tab when a specific cell's contents change...is this possible to code? I am using Excel 2003 (but need some backward compatibilty...) TIA, Miki activesheet.name=range("b1") -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Michelle" <miki@spam_me.net> wrote in message news:tHmzb.290244$275.1012789@attbi_s53... > Hi all, > > I would like to rename a sheet tab when a specific cell's contents > change...is this possible to code? I am using Excel 2003 (but need some > backward compatibilty...) > >...

cell ranges in formulas
When referencing a cell range in a formula, is there a way to represent the cell range by referencing another cell. What I want to do is this, for example: say cells a1 thru a100 contain a number of values. I want to sum a certain subset of these today, but tomorrow I want to change that subset, so I'd like to enter the starting and ending point for my sum range into another cell, say b1 & b2 So if I enter the text "a6" in cell b1, and "a25" in cell b2, my sum formula should look like =sum(a6:a25). This give me the flexibility to change my sumrange very e...

Diagonal Cells format
How do I format the Label Row of a spreadsheet to be 45 diagonally instead of the standard horizontal format? Thanks Ross Hi Ross select the cells, choose format / cells - go to the alignment tab and play with the little dial on the right hand side of the dialog box (or type numbers in the box underneath). Cheers JulieD "Ross" <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD627596-2F68-4886-A058-AE7EBE2CB427@microsoft.com... > How do I format the Label Row of a spreadsheet to be 45 diagonally instead of > the standard horizontal format? > > Thanks &g...

Formatting and Grouping Columns
In Office 2000 in Excel when you select two columns and right click it included the option to "Unhide" or "Hide". In Office XP in Excel I can not select two columns it automatically expands the selection to include the Merged Row above it which includes all the columns below - not just the two I selected. When I select just two cells the right click does not include the option to "Unhide" or "Hide". I have to go to the format menu, select column and select "Unhide" or "Hide". Is there a way to select columns without including...

Summing & Rounding
I need 1 formula to do the following: Sum of 2 cells then round up or down to 0 d.p.s (note: it must go either direction in rounding) I get this, my work is done! after 4 days. Tom picktr@wowway.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi! If the cells are A1 and A2 the formula is =round(A1+A2,0) This rounds down if the result is less than "a half" and up if it i greater than or equal to "a half". Al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi maybe =ROUND(A1+A2,0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "picktr >" <<...