Highlighted Cell group provides a Count instead of a Sum in bottom right

Sometimes when I download a file into excel it doesn't allow me to ad
the group.  Additionally, when highlighting the group when it i
supposed to give a SUM in the bottom right (off the worksheet), i
shows a count.  I've verified the cells are formatted as numbers.  I
for instance I overwrite the existing amount with the same number i
becomes addable.  I would like to be able to toggle between these tw
abilities.  Thanks.

MACR

Hi
the numbers are probably stroed as 'Text'. Try the following:
- select an empty cell and copy this cell
- select your range of importet numbers
- goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Add'

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"MACRE0 >" <<MACRE0.1bv9np@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:MACRE0.1bv9np@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Sometimes when I download a file into excel it doesn't allow me to
add
> the group.  Additionally, when highlighting the group when it is
> supposed to give a SUM in the bottom right (off the worksheet), it
> shows a count.  I've verified the cells are formatted as numbers.  If
> for instance I overwrite the existing amount with the same number it
> becomes addable.  I would like to be able to toggle between these two
> abilities.  Thanks.
>
> MACRE
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
8/31/2004 7:04:15 PM
No, as I've already stated, these are formated as numbers.  Additionall
if cells A1 and A2 were formated as text but contained the character
"1" and "2" respectively they would still be added when highlighte
instead of counted.

Wonder if there is a way to show that dispite my post being replied to
that my question was not answered without having to repost anew

Your question was answered.

Once a "number" is entered as text, changing the number format doesn't
convert it to a number - it stays text.

Did you try the suggested solution?

Did you really try entering "1" and "2" in A1:A2 and getting a Sum in
the status bar?  For me, I get SUM=0

In article <MACRE0.1cmvqj@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 MACRE0 <<MACRE0.1cmvqj@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

> No, as I've already stated, these are formated as numbers.  Additionally
> if cells A1 and A2 were formated as text but contained the characters
> "1" and "2" respectively they would still be added when highlighted
> instead of counted.
>
> Wonder if there is a way to show that dispite my post being replied to,
> that my question was not answered without having to repost anew.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/15/2004 5:03:17 PM
You're partially correct.

While I did try entering the characters 1 and 2 I entered them in a ne
spreadsheet formatted as general, which I then changed to text.  Tha
one adds.  If I first make it text and then highlight it doesn't but
was still able to take those two cell and paste special add them an
have it become numbers.  I am not able to do that with some of th
other spreadsheets that are created.  Secondly the aspect of togglin
between these two views was not answered.  Thanks for your added inpu
however

See the TrimALL macro, the descriptive material and the material
in the topic above that (#debugformat)

One  point that might not be obvious is that the items on the status bar
require more than one cell to be selected, might make a difference to
you when checking out solutions.
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/statusbar.htm
---
HTH,

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message ...
> Your question was answered.
>
> Once a "number" is entered as text, changing the number format doesn't
> convert it to a number - it stays text.
>
> Did you try the suggested solution?
>
> Did you really try entering "1" and "2" in A1:A2 and getting a Sum in
> the status bar?  For me, I get SUM=0
>

> In article <MACRE0.1cmvqj@excelforum-nospam.com>,
>  MACRE0 <<MACRE0.1cmvqj@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:
>
> > No, as I've already stated, these are formated as numbers.  Additionally
> > if cells A1 and A2 were formated as text but contained the characters
> > "1" and "2" respectively they would still be added when highlighted
> > instead of counted.
> >
> > Wonder if there is a way to show that dispite my post being replied to,
> > that my question was not answered without having to repost anew.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
9/15/2004 5:36:18 PM
I'll give it a try David when I have more time, but from what I briefl
saw in your link has much to do with removing spaces - something I di
not know was at issue here.  I will dig deeper of course.  Thank

Groups in CListCtrl
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C58984.271F2C90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I try to create groups in CListCtrl: // ...filling m_ToolList with items... // then create groups m_ToolList.EnableGroupView(TRUE); LVGROUP gr; ::memset(&gr, 0, sizeof(LVGROUP)); gr.cbSize =3D sizeof(LVGROUP); gr.uAlign =3D LVGA_HEADER_LEFT; gr.mask =3D LVGF_HEADER|LVGF_GROUPID|LVGF_ALIGN; gr.pszHeader =3D L"Last used tools"; gr.cchHeader =3D wcslen(gr.pszHeade...

Getting exact cell / Range from the pie chart
By selecting data point on the pie chart, I want to get corresponding cell/range ( e.g E6 or E6:E8). I can get the values ( ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Values), but can't seem to find how to get exact cell. Will appreciate your reply. Thanks Suyog Suyog - Excel doesn't make it easy. You can get the series formula, and parse it to extract the range of interest. John Walkenbach shows how to use a class module to do just this on his web site, http://j-walk.com. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Peltie...

Cond Format & helper-cell based "duplicate rec" tricked by content
Using 2003 Goal was to use Conditional Format and/or a helper-column cell to isolate duplicated records in a range. The formulas used were: Conditional Format =IF(COUNTIF(Range1, B5)>1,TRUE,FALSE) (Cell turns Yellow) Contigious cell =IF(COUNTIF(Range1,B2)>1,"Duplicate","") All of below cells do NOT have a duplicate thru 7 characters! But XL senses duplicates via both above formulas! M*D9000 M*D5000 M*D0004 M*D0035 M*D0002 Is there a "Bug" in XL that may see the second letter "*" as a wildcard OR stops the compare at "M*" ?...

Combining cell values
I have a list which has companyname and contracts numbers in column A & B Example Company Name Contract Number AAA 888888 BBB 888088 BBB 888333 What I could like to do is to write a formula or a macro to combine all the contracts numbers for a company into a single cell for example AAA 888888 BBB 888088, 888333 Can this be done? Thanks Pls try this formulae in column C =A1&" "&B1 Note : " " is for spacing Rajkuma -- Message...

How can I insert current date into Word table cell?
In Access and Excell, one can use the "Ctrl;" or "Ctrl Shift ;" to insert the current date and time into a field. how can I do the same in an MS Word table? Use a { DATE } field. Insert>Fields -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "tmullis" <tmullis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0793051B-A3F8-43BF-8355-1B5E3F0BF074@microsoft.com... > In Access and Excell, o...

How to create a share and set the NTFS rights *in a remote computer*?
Hi everybody, I would like to create a function in vbs like this : --------------------------------------- createFolder(path, rights, share, shareName) where : * "path" is a local path (ok) or a UNC path like \\PC\share (here is the problem) * "right" is a string which sets the NTFS rights * "share" is boolean (True or False). If it is True the folder is shared, if not the folder is not shared. * "shareName" is the name of the share (if the folder is shared) --------------------------------------- My problem is when the ...

How do I count If for these special distinctions
I need to count the number of names in a very long list complaring excel columns that are titles name and date. I would like the formula to count all DISTINCT names on EACH given date giving me a grand total of names. EXAMPLE James Smith June 12, 2004 James Smith June 12, 2004 Mike Black June 12, 2004 Karen Jones June 13, 2004 Mike Black June 13, 2004 Jane Smith June 13, 2004 Total Count: 5 I appreciate the help. Thank you. I don't quite understand your explanation of where the date comes into the picture, but t...

Counting cases between dates
Hi, I am using a waiting list of our clients and i would like to be able to calculate how many are on the list, from todays date, that have been waiting less than 6 weeks, 6 - 18 weeks and 18 weeks+. I would be very grateful for any help with this as it's driving me mad :( -- Many thanks, Lisa Hi Lisa Suppose you have the dates in ColB try the below 'Count of clients waiting for the last 6 weeks =COUNTIF(B:B,">" & TODAY()-(6*7)) 'Count of clients waiting for the last 6 - 18 weeks =COUNTIF(B:B,">" & TODAY()-(18*7))-COUNTIF(B:B...

Cell Format #8
Nope, didn't want to do that either (it's not actually my workbook). The best method may be to set the word wrap and then set the column height. ...

Calculating a value but omitting cells with empty data
I want to calculate a value based on several cells in say row 4. However, I do not want to include values in any columns that do not also have a non-missing value in, say, row3. Thus my calculated cell in, say column A, should have some syntax like: IF A3 <> MISSING THEN < do calculation of value> I hope this is clear. What is the proper syntax for the pseudocode that I have above? Thanks! Depends on what your calculation is. Are you summing, counting, multiply, etc.?Each has their own formula structure. For instance, the basic summing one is =SUMIF(3:3,"<>&...

CListCtrl right-click issue
I am using a CListCtrl in a CProperyPage. I have added the OnNmRClickXXX handler to my CPropertyPage so I can bring up a popup right-click menu over the list control. It works fine but I have one glitch to iron out. In my list some of the rows are actually like "children" of the row above. They are for display only and do not have an ItemData associated with them. I do not want these rows to be selectable. When I right-click this event is called and by that time the row is already selected. I also handle the OnLClick event for the list. It does not get called unless o...

fixing or freezing cell links
I have a multi-sheet workbook in which forumlas in one sheet link to cells on subsequent sheets. When I insert a column in one of the referred to sheets the forumlas automatically change to the "new" location (e.g. C25 become D25). Is there a way to prevent the forumlas from changing as I insert columns? Hi try =INDIRECT("'sheet1'!C25") >-----Original Message----- >I have a multi-sheet workbook in which forumlas in one sheet link to cells on subsequent sheets. When I insert a column in one of the referred to sheets the forumlas automatically change to the...

Hide Cell Row and column number
is there a way to hide the cell info on the far left and far top of the sheet? I can make the screen full size and hide the top info, but how do i get rid of the 1,2,3,4,5,... on the left side of the screen? -- alexm999 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ alexm999's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4918 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489791 Click >Tools >Options and then select the View tab. De-select the "Row and Column headers" checkbox. ...

Deleting a group of customer cards
Our sales team creates our Debtor cards - but they sometimes dont check if a debtor is already created - then there will be two cards for the same debtor - I inactivate them as soon as I see this. I see there is a function to Mass delete inactive customers - but what happens with the transactions that are already on this debtor ? Nelia, In this case, the best approach is not to delete these duplicate customers (in fact, if you're keeping history, the system won't let you delete the customer without deleting their history as well), but to use the Customer Combiner tool to comb...

COUNT multiple ranges
Hi Guys This formlua has has me stumped, what I am trying to do is... IF the data in column B equals say POP & the data in Column C equals JOP that entry receives a count (both entries must be on the same row to receive a count) example data A B C D E 1 POP JOP 2 PPP JOP 3 POP GUP 4 POP JOP 5 YUP KUP 6 POP JOP So the above table would return the count of 3 any help will be appreciated =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B6="POP"),--(C1:C6="JOP")) -- HTH RP ...

Excel: Remove characters from cells using wildcards
Can you anyone help me with this problem please? I have a column of data like the one below and I would like to remove the the front part, (x) from the cell, but I don't want to remove the parts in bracket that come later in the cell, for example (Queensland). I tried using Replace (**), and it did remove the first set of brackets and its contents but unfortunately it also removed the second set of brackets and its contents. If it helps in the first set of bracket, (x), x is always a number . While in the second set always contains a word. Before: (1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 New...

Can I move comment indicator to another corner of cell?
In Excel 2002, those little triangular comment indicators display in the upper right corner of their cell. I want them in the U.L. corner instead. Can I tell Excel to do that? (There is no such option in Tools / Options / View's Comments panel.) Thanks. *** Nope. If it's really important to you, maybe you could hide the indicator and add a triangle shape over the corner you like. (I wouldn't bother doing, though.) baobob@my-deja.com wrote: > > In Excel 2002, those little triangular comment indicators display in > the upper right corner of their cell. > > I ...

Searching Outlook Contact to show which groups they belong with.
I have over 50 distribution lists. When I make a change to a contact, I want the change to update the contact in the distribution list(s) at the same time. If this can not be done I would at like to see all of the distribution list(s) where this contact appears. I have to open each list, which is very time consuming. <dbloom4866@gmail.com> wrote in message news:79ea7bad-4291-4ad5-81c1-a1924389912e@e22g2000vbe.googlegroups.com... >I have over 50 distribution lists. When I make a change to a contact, > I want the change to update the contact in the distribution list(s) at > ...

Query that returns 0 instead of null
Hi, I have a query that returns two columns. Some of the fields in the second column contain null (are blank). How do I get these to return 0 instead, using the criteria option. Thanks, Aine Try this Expr1: IIF([FIELD]="", 0, [FIELD]) -- "Loose Change 2nd Edition" has been seen by almost 7 million people on Google video "aine_canby@yahoo.com" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a query that returns two columns. Some of the fields in the > second column contain null (are blank). How do I get these to return 0 > instead, using the criteria option. &...

Dealing with blank cells
hi again - I hope it's OK to ask 2 questions on the same day! This problem is related to the one I posed earlier, but more general. Let's say a sheet has 3 columns. Columns A and B contain numbers, but there are also varying numbers of blank cells. I'm looking for a formula I can drag down in column C that sums the B value (if it exists) and the first A value encountered on the same row or above. Here is a sample. A B C 6 1 7 7 13 3 9 8 4 12 2 10...

Locking Cells??
Hi I can't seem to lock a cell from editing. I am trying to lock particular cells that users can not enter data. Any help would be appreciated Regards Grah No but will try that now, thanks for the input Graham "Paul B" <newspab@surfbest.net> wrote in message news:uHLjZPdQDHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Graham, did you protect the sheet after you locked the cell? > > -- > Paul B > Always backup your data before trying something new > Using Excel 2000 & 97 > Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it > ** remo...

How to create an "OR" condition instead of an "AND" condition
In Outlook 2007, I would like to create a filter using an OR condition instead of an AND condition. For example, I know how to create a filter that will show me all of my contacts who live in "Boston" AND have the last name "Smith." However, I want to create a filter that will show me the contacts that live in "Boston" OR have the last name of "Smith." How can I accomplish this? I will appreciate advice. Two searches, one for each condition. Robert Judge wrote: > In Outlook 2007, I would like to create a filter using an OR cond...

Deleting Cell then Shift Down?
I'm trying to move a column down that has over 10,000 rows so it won' let me paste special: values for some reason. So i was wondering i there is a way to delete the bottom cell then shift all cells down, b/ there is a shift left and shift up but no shift down or right, an solutions?? Thanks Eric Hoffma -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, I think this will work for you. Copy a blank cell from anywhere. Go to the cell where you want the column moved down one. Right click and select 'insert copied cells', select 'shift down'. jeff >-----Origin...

Unread count that won't go away
For some bizarre reason, OE keeps saying that I have unread messages. I'll do a catch-up and the unread number disappears, but then when I do a Ctrl-Shift-M, or a Sync from the menu, the count reappears - and no, there are no new messages. I even tried resetting a group, but the problem came back. It is annoying. Windows XP, OE 6.00.2900.5512 Is it microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support per chance? It is a sync issue with the servers. They are what we refer to as "Ghost Messages" and there is nothing you can do about it. Those messages do not really...

Counting Array element
Hi There, i have two columns, strategy, month and third is desired output STRATEGY month desired output cta jan 2 cta jan 2 cta feb 1 short feb 1 credit mar 1 long mar 1 event apr 2 event ...