Hiding Columns In Excel

When I try to hide too many columns in Excell I get the
following message and it won't let me hide the
columns, "Cannot Shift Objects off Sheet.".

Is there a workaround?  What am I doing wrong?

The following MSKB article may help:

XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
     http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=211769

Also, Dave Peterson recently posted this advice:
'================
Someone with the same problem posted back that their comments were
getting resized causing the trouble.

Maybe enabling:  Tools|Options|View|Comment and indicator
(at least for a little bit will help.)
'========================

Or, perhaps William's suggestion in the following posting will help:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=%23SyiwlGICHA.2580%40tkmsftngp09

He advised the following:
'=======================
"if you have a button on your worksheet, right click on the button,
select "Format Control", select "Properties" and then select "Move and
Size with cells"
'========================

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

How can I print the column headers in a freeze pane on all pages .
Hi use 'File - Pagesetup - Sheet' and define the repeating rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Erik Joslyn" <Erik Joslyn@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:389CD3AA-C5EA-4639-85B4-3F9C47F6A4C4@microsoft.com... > From the main menu, select File>Page Setup> click on the Sheet tab and enter the rows you want repeated in the "Rows to Repeat at Top" box. Click OK or Print Preview to verify you have the correct rows selected. HTH Bruce -- swatsp0p ----------------------------------------------------------------...

Organize Excel sheets properly
I am trying to organize my sheets properly. Someone on this group gave me a link to a site that tells you how to do it. All I can remember is that there were three steps/styles to do this. Does anyone know what I am talking about, or how to find my old posts on the internet. Thanks, Joe Do you mean sort them alphabetically? http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm -- HTH Bob Phillips "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u%23neNbDaFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > I am trying to organize my sheets properly. Someone on this gr...

Date formatting in Excel XP
I am just starting to use Excel XP having been using Excel 97 for sometime. Already frustrated by some code that wouldn't run (which runs fine in Excel97), I next encounter this date formatting problem. I have just typed "1/8" into a cell to get returned 08/01 (American format). In the formula bar it shows 01/08/2003 as it should. I normally custom format the dates to dd:mmm:yy. On trying to this nothing happened at all. My first thought was that the regional settings were set for American formats but on checking this I found them to UK and all appeared OK. Am I being particu...

how do I enter a square feet symbol in excel?
how do I enter the small '2' as a symbol for 'square feet' in microsoft excel? Highlight the 2 Click on <Format><Cells><Superscript><OK> Job done Although you will see the 2 as superscript in the cell in the edit line (if you don't edit directly in the cell) it will appear as ordinary text. Yet another anomaly from Mr Gates. Regards. Bill Ridgeway Computer Solutions "summerlane" <summerlane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A17A561F-0DAB-4804-A769-45D0D41574B7@microsoft.com... > how do I enter the small '...

Excel VBA functions
I have learned how to make my own Yield function by writing the code in the VBE window. However, it is saved in my personal macro workbook and everytime I want to use it, I have to type out PERSONAL.MYield.MYield ([arguments]). Is there a way to make it so that I can just type MYield([arguments])? Bonus - Is there another, more user friendly way to make your own functions in Excel? Hi Mokey Check your personal.xls in the VBA editor Tools>References You don't have to type the filename then -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Mokey...

Excel locks for no reason
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3DC0B.6B1B0630 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am using WinXP Home and Office Professional 2002, as I have been = since 2002. Recently, Excel started doing something wierd. When I open = my favorite spreadsheet (the one I use for all my financial stuff), I = frequently get a dialog that says that the file is locked for editing = and I can only open it as read-only. It seems to think that another = instance of the spreadsheet is in use when i...

Opening excel #3
When I click on an excel shortcut or try to open it excel opens but the worksheet will not open. If excel is already open then the shortcut will open the workbook. I'm not sure if this'll work, but sometimes it helps when the workbook won't open--even if excel is already running. (but it can't hurt to try) Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's factory defaults. An alternative might be to do: Try Tools|Options|General|I...

Displaying Excel row headers in embedded spreadhseet
I have an excel spreadsheet inserted into a Word document. I want to have the row and column headers displayed in the Word document but I can't seem to find a way to do it. Does anyone have any ideas TIA Bill which version of excel/office do you have? i tried this on excel 2002. when i take the mouse pointer to the left of the table (beyond th boundary of the table), the pointer slants to right (usually it slant left). at that point in time, i right clicked and inserted rows on to of the topmost row. here i could provide headers for the columns. is this what you are looking for ...

Excel version in Office Home & Student full featured??
I am thinking about buying H&S with Excel, but need to know if it has: All the functions in the full Excel version? Visual Basic for Excel, so I can write complex macros? I have some macros already written, and intend to buy a commercial app which plugs into Excel. Bob Yes, there is no difference -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "bobber" <bobber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFFF9021-4A14-4213-A076-B977ADA75E2A@microsoft.com... >I am thinking about buying H&S with Excel, but need to know if it has: > > All the f...

how do I import data (distance and time) from MapPoint to Excel?
I have an Excel application which uses distabce and time obtained from MapPoint. Actually I enter those figures manually in my Excel worksheet. Is there way I can import these figures directlt to my Excel cells from MapPoint? Thank you for your answer ...

reporting tools linking with excel
Hi... Supposing i want a report to be generated from excel....something like using crystal reports.... is it feasible to link a reporting tool with excel.... I hope i am clear. thanks Monika ...

Removing Corrupt styles in an excel workbook
Hello, How can I remove corrupt styles from an Excel 2000 workbook ? I've tried deleteing through the menus - but that doesn't work, and I've tried through VBA, but that fails with an error for the styles that are corrupt. (Delete method of style class failed) e.g. for i=1 to activeworkbook.styles.count:debug.print activeworkbook.styles.item(i).name:activeworkbook.styles.item(i).delete:next i Inspecting the names of the styles that are failing to delete displays a couple of non-printable characters show as squares, or Yen symbols. Any idea how to obliterate these styles ...

Excel Problem
I have win2000 with Office 2000 in the network! When i try to rename one excel file my computer make restart. This hapening not to all files,and all files there are in the same folder in the network! What hapen,and what i can do so as to work out the problem? Spyros - Do you have all the required permissions on that network folder? Does someone else have any of the files open? Are they shared workbooks (trouble)? What does the network admin say (besides "I dunno")? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://...

Color Banding stopped working with Excel 2003
Prior to installing MS Office 2003 Pro, I was able to use color banding in Excel 2002 worksheets, using a Conditional Formatting formula such as =mod(row(),2)=1. But, now with Excel 2003 it gives a "formula you typed contains an error" message. It hightlights the ",2" portion of the formula. I've tried a number of variations suggested on Chip Pearson's web pages, but always get an error. How do I get color banding to work in Excel 2003? Hi Jerry maybe you're using the semicolon as delimiter? Does =mod(row();2)=1 work? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ...

Password protection in Excel 2003
I have a file that was password protected, now I need to access that file but can't remember the password I used. Is there any way I could find out what the password is, or even part of it to give me a clue. Trevor Smith Brute force password cracking. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=excel+password+macro&aq=0&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=excel+password+ma&gs_rfai= Trevor Smith wrote: > I have a file that was password protected, now I need to access that > file but can't remember the password I used. Is there any way I could > find out w...

Help with Column Lables
I am trying to use Filtering in Excel 2003. I highlight the columns I wish to include in my filter. I then select advanced filtering and click ok. When I do I am told that "Microsoft Office Excel can not determine which row in your list or selection contains column labels, which are required for this command. " I select OK and it, by default selects the first row of the selection or list to be used as labels and not data. This is ok but � Just how do I create column labels so that I do not constantly get this prompt. I have looked in help under Creating Labels, Creating Data L...

Import Access Query to Excel
I am trying to import MS Access Query to Excel. I tried with "Data --> Import External Data --> Import Data" but I found two issues. First, "Select Table" lists only 5 of 15 query tables I made. Second, data range only displays column headings, no record. Both Access and Excel files are on local drive. My computer is on domain network and I heard there is a security issue with Import External Data within domain environment. However, I used to do this on my previous employment within domain environment. I appreciate any help! Thank you! Jonathan Kim Jonathan, wh...

Run Excel file on a Server
I have an 8 meg excel file that needs to be shared with a whole team who connects to our web site with a very slow connection. Is there a way to "run" an Excel file on a server, so that the user is actually only loading the "tab" that they are using vs. loading the entire file everytime they want to look one thing up. This Excel file is updated regularily. Sadly, it won't work to just distribute it on CDs. Thanks in advance! Jon ...

How do I use flash drive in Excel.(selected drive is not in use)
I have an IBM Lotus 123 file that is on a flash drive. I want to bring it into a 60 day trial of Excel. The flash drive is plugged into a USB port and my file is on the flash drive. The error message is"The selected disk drive is not in use. Check to be sure disk is inserted." It is insurted and I have tried 3 USB places on my new Sony computer. Do you have any suggestions? Douglas Does the flash drive show up in My Computer? If not, and if either the computer is new or the drive is new to the computer, then you should wait at least 30 seco...

Adding column data based on match in 2nd column
Hi, Simple problem, but got me stumped. The setup: I have 2 columns. The first (column A starting in row 10) has members' names. The second (column B starting in row 10) has the additions made by the members over time. Column B has a 'header' cell that adds up the values entered by a particular member. The header cell for column B is B9. Cell A1 contains the member's name that cell B9 has to add the values for. I need a formula for Cell B9. For example: [Cell A1] Member A [Row 9] Formula needed for cell B9 COLUMN A_______|| COLUMN B____ [Row 10] Member...

How do I create a Bell Curve Graph in Excel
I am trying to create a Bell Curve Graph in Excel but have ground to a halt, I using Excel 9 Fratton, This example at this site should help: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/charting_a_normal_distribution/ ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "fratton" wrote: > I am trying to create a Bell Curve Graph in Excel but have ground to a halt, > I using Excel 9 See Normal curve http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Off...

find location max value in column
I need to find the cell location of the max value in a column. If paste the following [from =(cell onwards] into a cell I get the righ result. Having a hgard time getting the right VBA code to make thi work in an unattended macro. Probably some bonehead mistake on my part but I cannot find it. Suggestions? GOAL is to make this formula work. Range("z2").Formula "=(CELL(e1,OFFSET(e1,MATCH(MAX(e1:e100),e1:100,0)-1,0)))" TIA, Ro -- rroac ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rroach's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?act...

Column Sum in Footer
Hi, I have created a Tabular report that lists names and weights for different people. I want to create a stand-alone field in the page footer that will display the SUM of all the weights on the report. Can somebody please help me? (I'm using Access 2000 btw) I have tried creating a text box with the Control Source property set as "=Sum(weight)". However, this just produces an error. Thanks in advance. Julie Smith wrote: >Hi, >I have created a Tabular report that lists names and weights for different >people. I want to create a stand-alone field in the page f...

Error / Uncertainty in Excel
I'm a physics student trying to use excel for my experimental data. After inputting my values and their uncertainties (the error of the values), I plot the values to find the slope and intercept but I can't find a way to include their errors. It's possible to include error bars, but they're just for show and don't actually do anything. Is there a way for excel to calculate the error / uncertainty of a slope and intercept? Jel - The array-entered LINEST worksheet function provides standard errors of the regression coefficients. Or, for formatted output, use the Reg...

Somehow, I lost Excel software from my PC. What to do??
Hi get your installation CDs and re-install? or do you just have lost the start icon. Search your harddisc for excel.exe -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "B_CRYSTAL" <B_CRYSTAL@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:50C6D006-E83E-4B0F-9DB0-8EB14B09A478@microsoft.com... > ...