hiding columns, error message says cannot shift objects off sheet

Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.

WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?

Thanks!

hi,
excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by
default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column
IV or below row 65536.
solution. highlight all the column to the right of your
data and hit the delete key. that should fix it.

0
anonymous (74722)
10/5/2004 2:05:55 PM
Hi
try clearing your used range:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JeannieNewman" <JeannieNewman@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:144368B4-96D2-48A7-8E16-43DB91307F49@microsoft.com...
> Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error
message
> says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
>
> WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
>
> Thanks!

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/5/2004 2:08:06 PM
And one more suggestion........

Could be Comments getting in the way.

"Cannot shift objects off sheet" error message when you hide columns in Excel.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211769

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:08:06 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de>
wrote:

>Hi
>try clearing your used range:
>http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

0
Gord
10/5/2004 6:10:24 PM
Thank you, I'll give it a shot! Appreciate the help.

JeannieNewman

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> try clearing your used range:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "JeannieNewman" <JeannieNewman@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:144368B4-96D2-48A7-8E16-43DB91307F49@microsoft.com...
> > Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error
> message
> > says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
> >
> > WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
> >
> > Thanks!

Thanks for the advice - it seems to be the best suggestion received to date.

Appreciate the assistance!

JeannieNewman

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> hi,
> excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by
> default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column
> IV or below row 65536.
> solution. highlight all the column to the right of your
> data and hit the delete key. that should fix it.

Thanks Gord - I'll look back to see if the previous user left any "comments"
that I was not aware of.

Appreciate the help.

JeannieNewman

"JeannieNewman" wrote:

> Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
> says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
>
> WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
>
> Thanks!
I am having the same problem and have tried every solution on this page.  It
still will not let me hide all of the columns I need to hide.  The file in
question uses through column HK and a large amount of columns (around 60)
need to be hidden.  Anyone have an answer?

Thank you!

"JeannieNewman" wrote:

> Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
> says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
>
> WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
>
> Thanks!
0
Elily001 (1)
7/28/2005 7:56:15 PM
The thread has aged off for me, but is this the stuff you tried:

XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769

Remember to look for comments and merged cells.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:56:15 -0700, "Elily00"
<Elily00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am having the same problem and have tried every solution on this page.  It
>still will not let me hide all of the columns I need to hide.  The file in
>question uses through column HK and a large amount of columns (around 60)
>need to be hidden.  Anyone have an answer?
>
>Thank you!
>

>"JeannieNewman" wrote:
>
>> Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
>> says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
>>
>> WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
>>
>> Thanks!

0
Gord
7/28/2005 11:42:30 PM
Dave,
  Thank you. I got rid of my comments (not easy) and that cured it.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> The thread has aged off for me, but is this the stuff you tried:
>
> XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769
>
> Remember to look for comments and merged cells.
>

> Elily00 wrote:
> >
> > I am having the same problem and have tried every solution on this page.  It
> > still will not let me hide all of the columns I need to hide.  The file in
> > question uses through column HK and a large amount of columns (around 60)
> > need to be hidden.  Anyone have an answer?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > "JeannieNewman" wrote:
> >
> > > Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
> > > says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
> > >
> > > WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Just for the next time <bg>.

Edit|goto|Special
Comments

It might help you tab between cells with comments.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Exchange 2k3
I have a real quick question regarding Internet Message Formats and Exchange 2k3. Basically, I'd like all exchange users to email using the default Internet Message. The domain is * for this rule. However, whenever users email the domain: x.domain.org - (a local domain btw, it's a unix machine that accepts smtp) - i would like uuencode, plain text used only. However, my problem is that the new domain I created in Internet Message Formats doesn't work. I created ad added the domain - x.domain.org - and set the message format to uuencode and never use "rich-text format&...

SCENARIO ON MULTIPLE SHEETS
Hello All, I have a work book with 25 work sheets. Sheet 1 contains the rate for my formulas. Sheet 2 ( the working sheet) uses the formula from sheet one to cost my products. In some instances there are more that 40 products that use the same rate formula. (each product requires a line). If I use the regular format I will exceed the number of variable cells. How do I create this SCENARIO. Could you give an example of what you do now? You can use VLOOKUP to get the rate from Sheet1 for your products, so I'm not sure what your problem is. Pete On Feb 5, 2:28=A0pm, kellonja...@gmail.com w...

Address Book error with Vista
I'm installing Office 2000 (can't afford the new version) on a laptop with Vista. However when I open Outlook I get an error message that says it can't find wab.dll for the address book. I've tried reinstalling Outlook but still get same message. Anyone any ideas? Thanks Tony Version is not compatible. Well documented. http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Tony Williams" <tw@invalid.com> wrote in message news:u7$rGeG8HHA.5404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm installing Office 2000 (can't afford the new ver...

Outlook Express error on one of two identities
My hubby recieves the following error when he tries to open his Outlook mail box. An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'shawmail.vc.shawcable.net', Server: 'shawmail.vc.shawcable.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0131 I also use shaw and have no problems when I switch to my identity. Our mail server can't figure it out. Help! he's driving me mad! ...

Can I do portrait and landscape orientation on one sheet?
I want to create an 8.5x14 fanfold where the first page is basically portrait oriented and the second is landscape oriented. Can this be done in one project? Think of a mailer where the outside page is vertically oriented for mailing purposes, then when you open it, you turn it so the page is horizontally oriented. Ideas? <THANKS!> "ErnieJG_OMA" <ErnieJG_OMA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66A73C49-D6E4-42AD-A0C0-596FE5035C14@microsoft.com... >I want to create an 8.5x14 fanfold where the first page is basically >portrait > oriented an...

Exchange Error 9325
Hi, I am getting this error because we start out dl's with # I can't get this policy changed from a parent company so is there anyway to stop generating these errors? ...

Create Object schema or Entity
Hi there, Which is the way to create a new object schema or Entity and to incorporate it in MS CRM? By means of Schema Manager, creating a XSD file or developer some new class with VS.NET? Comments or suggestions? Thanks you. Schema Manager does not support adding new entities (that is, new tables) If you develop new entities they should not be stored in the MSCRM database in SQL 2000 Powertrak Toolkit from www.axonom.com is a Microsoft-approved development environment that provides this capability I cannot comment on XSD etc solutions, sorry Another alternative is to wait (approximatel...

error bars on bar chart in Excel 2007
I would like to assign a separate error bar value to each of the data sets within my bar chart. When I use the customise error bars feature it allocates the same error bar to all of the bars in the graph. Each chart in the bar is a mean in itself, hence the requirement for individual error bars. I see from previous posts that this appeared to be possible in Excel 2003 but I don't have access to this version. If each bar represents the average of a set of numbers, then you can calculate the standard deviation (or other measure of dispersion) for this set of numbers. Put these ca...

convert column with inches to 2 columns "feet" and "inches"
I have a spreadsheet that has a column with total inches, but what I really need is 2 columns that shows how many total feet there are in one column and how many left over inches there are in the 2nd column. What formula can I use? For feet: =int(a1/12) For inches: =mod(a1,12) Regards, Fred "fsudiane" <fsudiane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5668F903-8A87-400A-AD90-F78FB6DB5E73@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet that has a column with total inches, but what I really > need is 2 columns that shows how many total feet there are in one...

Publisher 2000 Publish error
Hi, I'm working with someone using Publisher 2000 who has added an FTP site and over a dial up connection tries to publish. He proceeds and then gets an error as transfer seems to be attempted: "Publisher could not save the file to the web. Please check URL or network address." He is saving as a web page and then trying to upload with appropriate credentials. I've asked that anti-virus (McAfee) and win XP firewall be off as well as a web accelerator but the error persists. I've Googled the error and have found scant information. Any help is appreciated. Try the fo...

Macro error 04-20-10
Hi I am trying to record a simple macro where if I press alt+d the location moves 7 "page down" key strokes - about 100 rows. However when I record the macro it resorts back to the line number that my macro originally ended up at 7 keystrokes from the top., even if I am 1500 lines down. How can I resolve this? With thanks Stephen Hi, I'm a bit dubious of statements like > moves 7 "page down" key strokes - about 100 rows. particularly in relation to code which doesn't normally deal in 'abouts', it's generally more precise ...

Getting 'Purchase Order Failure' error
I am getting the following error when trying to transfer a final-approved purchase request into a PO: Purchase Order Failure One or more business logic errors have occured. Please correct the errors to continue. Message The enum Microsoft.Dynamics.Payables.FreeOnBoard does not contain the value 0. Parameter name: FreeOnBoard Actual value was 0. ************************************** The message "The enum Microsoft..." appears 3 times in the dialogue. I am trying to transfer 4 line items. Has anyone ever gotten these errors? I am using Business Portal 2.5 with Great Plains 8...

Hiding cardinality of relationships ...
Hi all, I'm trying to create a Visio model I can use with a bunch of different users: technical, managers, business users, etc. As such, I was hoping to hide different pieces of the model using layers -- in short, not to scare the business users!! However, I can't find anyway to hide the cardinality of the relationships : e.g. 1 to 1, 1 to many, etc. As such, is there anyway of doing this cleanly? I had the idea of adding all relationships of a technical vein to a Technical User layer, and recreating the relationships using the connector tool and adding to a Business User Layer, but ...

Run time error adding controls to form programatically
Hi, I've got some VBA that programatically adds additional optionbox controls to a userform (call this FRM_CHOOSE). The addition is actually driven by another userform (call this FRM_UPDATE) which up til now only contained optionbutton and commandbutton controls and everything has been working fine. I've now added a combobox to FRM_UPDATE however now when the script gets to the point of adding the new optionbox control to the other form it errors out with "Run-time error '-2147319767 (80028029)': Invalid forward reference, or reference to uncompiled ...

Compile Error #2
I am currently using Excel 2002. I was given a file, apparently created in Excel 2003. When I try to access the file I get the following message: Compile error: Can't find project or library The developer believes this error is coming up because 2002 doesn't have the same "libraries" as 2003 and that I need to upgrade to 2003. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help. Does the file you have been given contain VBA code? If so, then it would seem that the original creator has 'referenced' another project or library in it. To explain, when this sheet has been create...

primary key error during publishing
during publishing of anything in the deployment manager an error messages appears. The event viewer gives a description" violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_StringMap'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'StringMap'. What can be the reason and how to solve this problem? Regards, Marc Ouch...sounds like there's bad data in your schema. All I can think of is export the schema, and check the xml file for any picklists with duplicate values. Mike Greaterthantwo Media Printable Quotes, Orders and Invoices, with line-item details, now available for MSCRM. htt...

"Unable to find the WAB DLL" error
I am trying to troubleshoot this problem for someone using Outlook 2000. I have already found this article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;196210), which says the file may be missing or damaged. Since the file isn't missing, I followed the directions for replacing a corrupt file (rename the file and reinstall Outlook). However, this hasn't worked. Has anyone else seen this problem and have any other suggestions to offer? It would be most appreciated. ~ GN Outlook does not use the WAB. You would need to reinstall Outlook Express to reinstall the W...

STREAM SOCKET checksum error with no returned errors on Server OR Client
Problem: A stream based socket being used to send binary data fails to deliver correct data for the 45th buffer transmitted whose size is 4092 characters. Possibly relevant Details: 0) A semaphore is used on the transmitting side to ensure that only one thread gains access to the open socket. (There are two windows messages that can generate calls to send(), and recv() in this application, but it doesn't appear that they run simultaneously anyway, so the semaphore may be overkill). 1) wsaData.iMaxUdpDg = 65467 (as returned by WSAStartup() ) Not that it should matter...

Re: Exchange System Manager Error c0070000 <1164709223.475182.251740@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>
Have you found anything more on this, i am having the same problem. Running ESM with mmc works just fine. but the other way that error pops up but it will still let me look at the public folders. If not oh well. Thanks, Nic EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

having problems with DSMOD not ignoring errors
Hi, I am trying to remove all users in a specific OU from a group. The command that I am giving is below dsquery user "ou=TestOU,dc=domainname,dc=com" -limit 10000 | dsmod group "CN=Test_Group,ou=Groups,dc=domainname,dc=com" -rmmbr -c From what I understand, the -c tells dsmod to ignore errors and continue. But this is not happening. It stops as soon as it comes across someone that is already not a member of the group. What am I doing wrong? On a side note it would be REALLY nice if when looking at group membership that I can sort on the Active Dire...

Access will report error and shutdown when attempting to view a re
Cannot view a record in database. receive faulting application msaccess.exe, faulting module vbe6.dll in application event viewer. Source: Microsoft Office 11, Event ID: 1000. PC is Windows XP SP2 with Office 2003 and latest service packs. Rocks <Rocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Cannot view a record in database. Is this one particular record? Using a form or table or query view? If a form is this all records or just one record. I ask because this could be a corrupt form or a corrupt record. See the Corrupt Records in a Microsoft Access MDB page at my website http...

Missing main body of message in Outlook 2003
In Outlook 2003 main body of received text message is missing for some emails but okay for others. I can see the received email header and attachements but not the message itself. When I look at the same email in MSN it appears complete. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Tried it already with SP1 installed? Check Office Update to install it. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Yusuf" <Yusuf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Failed Exchange Backup-suspect Corrupted message
my backup (mailboxes+system state using Veritas 10) has been failing for the last several days. The error indicates that "Access was denied" and Veritas suggests that an account with more privileges must be given to Backup Exec to finish successfully. However Backup Exec already has Domain Administrator access. Also when I look at the files that weren't able to be backed up it points at 2 mailboxes, one public and another private, which have messages with very long subject lines in Chinese. Opening up those mailboxes and looking for those messages didn't help- I couldn't ...

How do I Add rows to a Balance sheet
I have a Balance Sheet that is full and I want to extend it . Hitting the "Enter" key will not continue down. select the row you want to insert, right click on the mouse and select insert row, or high lite the row(bi clicking on the row number), select format on the menus and rows and insert ...

How can I SUMIF between rows rather than columns?
I need to sum the values in one row, but only if the corresponding values in a second row fulfil a criteria. e.g. With a budget laid out with a column for each month in 2010: for each month sum "Cost A" if "Income type 1" > 0. Thanks! Hi, From your description I'm struggling to undertsnad you data layout but maybe this =SUMIF(A2:L2,">0",A1:L1) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Robnarc...