Hide or Protect Headers

How do I prevent others from changing the format of the header and footer.  I
tried protecting the sheet but people are still able to edit the header and
footer.

Did you lock the cells you want to be protected?
Select all cells to protect, format cells, protection tab, check locked.
Then protect worksheet & apply password then save.

"RLD" wrote:

> How do I prevent others from changing the format of the header and footer.  I
> tried protecting the sheet but people are still able to edit the header and
> footer.
I believe this can only be done through VBA.

i.e.  a beforeprint event that erases any changes made by users and adds
footers/headers you designate.

Would you need this for all sheets in the workbook?

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:57:01 -0700, RLD <RLD@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>How do I prevent others from changing the format of the header and footer.  I
>tried protecting the sheet but people are still able to edit the header and
>footer.

0
Gord

footer or header
Is it possible to have a footer or header only on the first page of a document of 10 pages in Excel. In know it is possible with word but in Excel? Please provide the step to do this? You could use a macro like this one form Ron de Bruin to do it Sub print_header() 'will print header on 1st page only 'By: Ron de Bruin Totpage = Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro("GET.DOCUMENT(50)") With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .LeftHeader = "test" .CenterFooter = ActiveSheet.Range("A1") .CenterHeader = "&8Page &8&P & of &a...

List control column header
Hi, I'm using listctrl in report view, How to fix the width of the column ? (i.e., the user should not be able to increase or decrease the width of the columns). Thank you. Handle HDN_BEGINTRACK notification and return TRUE -- Vipin Aravind <rajashekaraj@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1138080061.880077.242000@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I'm using listctrl in report view, How to fix the width of the column ? > (i.e., the user should not be able to increase or decrease the width of > the columns). > > Thank you. > ...

Sheet Protection
I want to protect a worksheet; however, I don't want to lose the ability to collapse/uncollapse rows that I have grouped together. What option needs to be checked when locking the sheet to allow this? Or, is it not possible? Thanks, JC -- carlyman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ carlyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22440 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=469911 If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook...

Hiding macro code
I'm sure there's a simple way to do this but I've not been able to find it. I can hide/protect Excel sheets/formulas, etc. but how do you prevent users accessing the VB Editor and seeing your macro code? I don't have digital signatures, etc and I want users to be able to run the macros without hassle, just not visualize the code. Many thanks Seamus McMillan In the VB Editor: Tools/VBAProject Properties/Protection/Lock for editing (and add password) This is NOT secure, by the way. Crackers for these passwords are ten a penny. A more secure way would be to...

password protect a workbook #2
Hi, Is there any way to protect a workbook so it cannot be OPENED by another user? Thanks! Hi Joyce yes, do file / SAVE AS click on the TOOLS item on the Save in Window Choose GENERAL OPTIONS and you can set a password for opening the workbook. Cheers JulieD "joyce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00ec01c4a640$8feedbd0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > Is there any way to protect a workbook so it cannot be > OPENED by another user? > Thanks! File-Save as-Choose Tools-General options. "Password to open" **** Hope it helps! **...

Preventing "Protect Workbook"
Is there any way to disable the "Protect Workbook" button in Excel 2007?? Just curious if there any ways to prevent this option. The reason I'm asking about this is because my workbook contains lots of VBA code in which I set a sheet's "visible" property to "xlVeryHidden" or "xlVisible". So, if someone protects the workbook, the VBA code in the workbook will crash if it encounters a line of code that attempts to change any sheet's "visible" property. thank u As far as I know you can not prevent protection, but ...

How to group days in a pivot table, but to include field header days for which no entries are found (see example)
I have a pivot table that groups data by day (as a field header) like this: 1/1/08 1/2/08 1/3/08 1/5/08 1/6/08 Category 1 10 20 22 23 etc Category 2 Category 3 I need the missing dates to show up as and show zeros (or blanks). So in the above example, I need 1/4/08 to not be skipped. Any suggestions? Thanks! Hi Mike Double click on your date field Header>Show missing items -- Regards Roger Govier "Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bfb887da-ed11-4fbd-945d-80c03c799f25@d21g2000prf.g...

Macro to show/hide detail in an outline
First post here, I hope someone can help! I have a group outline on one of my sheets that has five separate levels. I need to create buttons on the sheet to hide/show a greater or lesser level of detail (i.e. clicking an "up" button will show one additional level of detail in the outline, clicking the "down" will hide one level). I've tried using a spinner, which seemed like a suitable option. The spinner was set to minimum 1, maximum 5, linking to cell S1. I then had a simple code that ran when the spinner changed: Spincount = Range("S1") ActiveSheet.Outl...

How could I display an excel cell contents in a page header ?
I need that an specific cell contents will appear in the header of several pages. How should I define it? This is an example that puts the current contents of cell B9 in Sheet1 in the header for Sheet1. Put the following event macro in the workbook code area: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With Sheets("Sheet1") .PageSetup.CenterHeader = .Range("B9").Value End With End Sub Because it is workbook code, it is very easy to install and use: 1. right-click the tiny Excel icon just to the left of File on the Menu Bar 2. select View Cod...

How to hide the clock?
hi, all Do you guys know if there is a way in c++ to hide the clock in the system tray? Thanks Nicky wrote: > hi, all > > Do you guys know if there is a way in c++ to hide the clock in the system > tray? No idea? Why would you want to do this anyway? If you don't want the clock to display, just right-click the clock, select Properties, and uncheck the box that says "Show the clock". This is something the user decides for themself, not something for you to decide for them. Try :- HWND h1 = FindWindowEx(FindWindowEx(FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", NULL...

Protection & Grouping
Is there any way to protect a sheet, but still allow people to group and ungroup rows and columns? Thanks, Hi depending on your Excel version (I think starting in 2003) you can set these option in the protection dialog -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany 0013 wrote: > Is there any way to protect a sheet, but still allow people to group > and ungroup rows and columns? > > Thanks, Sorry, forgot to mention that I was talking about in 2003. Even when I check all of the check boxes in the sheet protection dialog, I still get an error. Any ideas? Even if it's thro...

calling protected method by another class
Hello, I do not understand one thing. Method CView::OnUpdate(CView* pSender, LPARAM lHint, CObject* pHint); is protected and in spite of that it is called by CDocument. How is that possible? Can you please explain? Vaclav "Vaclav" <vjedlicka@atlas.cz> ha scritto nel messaggio news:uQdS%23MV$HHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I do not understand one thing. > > Method > > CView::OnUpdate(CView* pSender, LPARAM lHint, CObject* pHint); > > is protected and in spite of that it is called by CDocument. How is that > possible? >...

hide an Application from Task bar
Hey Guys, I am trying to hide an application (or any application that's currently running) from the taskbar and also want to restrict it from appearing in the Atl+tab list.. Can u guys point me to the API's required to get this... Thanks Y MSDN Article ID: Q125714 Sreeram "Yogesh" <A@b.com> wrote in message news:O2qeHDCUDHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hey Guys, > > I am trying to hide an application (or any application that's currently > running) from the taskbar and also want to restrict it from appearing in the > Atl+tab list.. > >...

change the media player "hide" setting
i accidentally said "yes" to "do you want to hide the player instead of closing it" prompt with the never ask me again box clicked. how do i change it? On Sun, 23 May 2010 09:03:01 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i accidentally said "yes" to "do you want to hide the player instead of >closing it" prompt with the never ask me again box clicked. how do i change >it? If you are very good, you'll come back in the next life with enough caution to avoid ever checking one of those "don't do xxx ag...

hiding selected pop3 messages from outlook (RETR issue)
In our pop3 proxy, we need to hide some messages from outlook. In LIST, outlook sees all IDs (say, IDs 1 2 3). Then when, outlook does "RETR 1", we scan the message and assume it's infected. We want outlook to get nothing. No message and no error. We tried various "-ERR text" responses. Not good, outlook compains about "server processing error". We tried "OK 0 octets" response. Not good. Outlook shows empty message. What is solution ? Thast is, which pop3 response to "RETR" can hush outlook without him showing any message ? Or force the ou...

Header and Footer #3
Can the Header and Footer be automatic set everytime I create a spreadshheet ? by using the macro you can set the header and footer ...also the print out format and whenever u work on new sheet u have to just run the macro. Tools \ Macros "Jav" wrote: > Can the Header and Footer be automatic set everytime I create a spreadshheet ? You can also set it at print time Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .LeftHeader = "Date: " & Format(Date, "dd mmm yyyy") End Sub 'This is workbook event code. ...

OT: Hiding the taskbar
//Hide desktop icons ShowWindow( FindWindow( "progman", NULL ), SW_HIDE ); //Hide Taskbar start button ShowWindow( FindWindow( "Shell_TrayWnd", NULL ), SW_HIDE ); //Hide Taskbar ShowWindow( FindWindow( "Shell_traywnd", NULL ), SW_HIDE ); Out of curiosity, I've code in a VB app (I wrote for some VB devs at work) that makes these same calls and works successfully. When my MFC/C++ application calls a function in a DLL which makes the same calls, the three items in question hide for an instant and then reappear. I'm not much of a UI guy, so I was wondering...

password protect one email?
Is there any way to attach a password to an email message? I want to send an email message that is password protected so that when the receiver gets the message, they have to enter the password to open it. Thanks! Cathy No. The only way you could come close would be to use Rights Management in Outlook 2003 (and ensure that the recipient has Outlook 2003 on their end as well). -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide to OneNote 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** &...

Password protection on split database
I have a database which is split into front end and back end. The front end is password protected but the backend isn't Is it possible to protect both with the same password? I've tried protecting the backend with a password but when I open the front end it can't "see" the backend. Any ideas? Thanks Tony Put a password on the backend, then, after opening the front-end, use the Linked Table Manager to update the links (just like you would if you had moved the backend). You should be prompted for the 'missing' password during this process. You should only...

macro to hide rows #2
I need to hide rows depending on whats in the cells (a1,a2,a3,...) can somewane give me a example of a macro for this. thank you I find this an easier alternative: Apply Data|filter|autofilter to your column (or whole range). Then use the filter arrow to show/hide the rows you want. If you've never used autofilter before, Debra Dalgleish has some info at: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html david wrote: > > I need to hide rows depending on whats in the cells (a1,a2,a3,...) > > can somewane give me a example of a macro for this. > > thank you -- ...

how to set up same header and footer on each worksheet
i can't find a way to set up a header footer which will stop me having to type up one on each individual sheet have tried office help and asking colleagues - help I want to be able to put my name/date and workheet ref on each individual worksheet (I know how to do for one sheet but want to apply to all) Using exel 2003 Hi Liana, select all sheets you want to have the same header or footer (select the first one and, while keeping Ctrl pressed, click on the tab of each other sheet, you want to include - you can also use Shift for ranges, as usual...) go to page setup on the file men...

Protecting the Windows using Linux
Hi, The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS). I am just eager to know if i have Windows as a guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less possible for Windows to get infected by virus ? If Windows crashes, is there a mechanism to recover it from Host OS(Linux) ? Also, is there any mechanism to debug windows from linux ? Any ideas ? I am planning to use Ubuntu as Host OS and Windows Vista as Guest OS and either Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual machines). Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:36:18 -0800 (PST), Karthik Balaguru wrote: > Hi, > The inter...

OWA 2003
Is there a way to hide the domain name completely ? I know we can modify the logon.asp page to put the domain name there but when a user clicks to login, the netbios domain name is shown on the screen / also when he clicks back on the IE, the domain name is populated The customer wants to hide NETBIOS Domain name for security purposes -- Patilp patilp wrote: > Is there a way to hide the domain name completely ? I know we can > modify the logon.asp page to put the domain name there but when a > user clicks to login, the netbios domain name is shown on the screen > / also when ...

Protection
Hi all Is it possible to protect the contents of a range of cells (Tools > Protection > etc.), but still be able to use 'Autofilter' on these cells? Many thanks -- George Gee If you protect the worksheet programmatically, you can allow filtering for existing Autofilters. There are instructions on my web site: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter03.html#Protect George Gee wrote: > Is it possible to protect the contents of a range of cells (Tools > > Protection > etc.), > but still be able to use 'Autofilter' on these cells? -- Debra Dalgle...

Windows File Protection and Registering a Non-System File
Hi All, I apologize if this is a bit off topic. The group generally has high acivity with authors who can discuss higher level protocols... I'd like to register some files with Windows File Protection. I know if one authors a driver, Microsoft will sign it and it will enjoy protection (some hand waving here). The reason I'd like to do it is to stop malicious tampering (binary patching from the Reverse Engineers). Is this possible? I don't see how to auto enroll if not signed by Microsoft. Reference http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/s...